Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

the anime spergs got to wikipedia first but now "real" articles are pretty filled in. it only took what... 15 years?

I mean that’s not that bad in the grand scheme of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
in high school computer lab I made up a game where several of us would start on one Wikipedia page and navigate to an entirely different topic using only links inside the article

I always won :spergin:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

in high school computer lab I made up a game where several of us would start on one Wikipedia page and navigate to an entirely different topic using only links inside the article

how long ago was this? because that game has been a thing for a while

obviously it's a case of parallel evolution but it made a brief splash

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
2002 or 2003, so, parallel invention for sure but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it before now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Martian Child is a 2007 American comedy-drama film directed by Menno Meyjes and written by David Gerrold based on his 1994 novelette of the same name.
Despite persistent misperceptions, this film is not based on David Gerrold's semi-autobiographical novelette The Martian Child, but rather is based on his fictional Hugo and Nebula Award-winning short story of the same name, which has caused much confusion about the source material

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my dad was a reference librarian and the novelization of princess bride was listed as abridged because his grandpa left out all the sex scenes

caused him hell when he tried to find the complete edition

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Silver Alicorn posted:

eh, its fairly easy once you get the hang of moving towards generalities until you can move down into specifics again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all pages eventually lead to christ and christ eventually leads to all other pages

praise be to god

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Philosophy is another good nexus

& Science of course

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The background story provided for the Max Headroom character in his original appearance comes from a dystopian near-future dominated by television and large corporations. The AI of Max Headroom was shown to have been created from the memories of crusading journalist Edison Carter. The character's name came from the last thing Carter saw during a vehicular accident that put him into a coma—a warning sign marked "MAX. HEADROOM: 2.3 M" (i.e., a clearance of 2.3 metres) suspended across a car park entrance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wait what

where did max headroom come from originally if not the show?!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Krankenstyle posted:

wait what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6m5yIK3af8&hd=1

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ohh right

a coca cola commercial that depends on people knowing the character, that sounds like his first appearance yea

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

George posted:

the novelization of princess bride
:sigh:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the movie is based on a book. there is no "novelization"

also the whole joke of the book is that it's presented as an abridged version of the story, it says it right on the cover so the library's mistake is understandable

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sham bam bamina! posted:

sure but op's great grandpa was left out apparently

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Krankenstyle posted:

ohh right

a coca cola commercial that depends on people knowing the character, that sounds like his first appearance yea

well not that specific ad. pretty sure he started in ads though. maybe that movie that came before the tv series instead? wikipedia doesn't give many dates for him

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

well not that specific ad. pretty sure he started in ads though. maybe that movie that came before the tv series instead? wikipedia doesn't give many dates for him

it was a character that nelson mandela created in his letters before he died in jail

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya je suis fat & sassy so

the show was way cool tho but i dont remember much before that?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Penisface posted:

it was a character that nelson mandela created in his letters before he died in jail

my god, finally i remember. thanks you!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_(character)#TV_history

:rolleyes:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Silver Alicorn posted:

2002 or 2003, so, parallel invention for sure but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it before now

yo

https://thewikigame.com/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
A trackless train — or tram (U.S. English), road train, land train, parking lot tram, Dotto train or Choo-Choo train

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Krankenstyle posted:

wait what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

also the whole joke of the book is that it's presented as an abridged version of the story, it says it right on the cover so the library's mistake is understandable

that drove me nuts when i was a kid looking for the book. i kept trying to find an unabridged edition and being pissed that it didn't seem to exist :spergin::arghfist:

side note: the book is very good. maybe even better than the movie. highly recommended :thumbsup:

although fezzik is turkish in the book, which feels weird (if only william goldman had known he'd be able to get andre)

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 11, 2018

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion

quote:

The video ended with the hacker’s exposed buttocks being spanked with a flyswatter by an accomplice before normal programming resumed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
But when Imam is killed, Riddick sets out on a mission to avenge him, eventually overthrowing the Lord Marshal (with help from Jack, who dies in the process) and inheriting his office.[2]

[...]

2.^ simply read original article and watched the series

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
ban for original research

meanwhile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:%C3%89owyn

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Throughout 2016, Buckethead's release output declined sharply, with only 24 albums being released.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

ban for original research

Wikipedia lists The Artist as a "romantic comedy-drama" and any attempt to correct this simple factual error (there is no romance plot in the movie) would get removed as original research. There are plenty of secondary sources which list the film as a romance, the false statement can be very easily cited, so who cares?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Performance

Maximum speed: 300 mph (483 km/h; 261 kn) (estimated), 35 mph (56 km/h) (actual)
Range: 995 mi (865 nmi; 1,601 km) (estimated), 79 mi (127 km) (actual)
Service ceiling: 10,000 ft (3,000 m) (estimated), 3 ft (0.91 m) (actual)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that the flat earth guy's steam-powered rocket?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
canadian flying saucer

in addition to being an enormous disappointment in every quantitative way it was also extremely hot and extremely loud. although to be fair the 3 foot service ceiling was not an engineering limitation, just the altitude at which it became impossible to control

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
rip avro, your lovely ufo and plane will always be remembered

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Blockchain 2.0 technologies go beyond transactions and enable "exchange of value without powerful intermediaries acting as arbiters of money and information." They are expected to enable excluded people to enter the global economy, protect the privacy of participants, allow people to "monetize their own information," and provide the capability to ensure creators are compensated for their intellectual property.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Incorrect meaning
The page (1st paragraph in fact) says that the abbreviation that the bands name refers to stands for "Laughing My Four Apes Out," when in fact it means "Laughing My loving rear end Off." Please fix, thanks you.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Over 300 police officers and hundreds of volunteers searched for him, but he eluded them. He did not elude the August desert — he died of exposure.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is there an article for the diaper sniper too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is there an article for the diaper sniper too

there is, but it doesn't redirect from diaper sniper

also someone removed all references to diapers from the page