Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I like Tesla just because they made EVs that people actually wanted to buy and now every other car manufacturer is scrambling to do the same while talking about how Tesla is totally no danger to them and will fail any minute but just because they feel like it they are gonna start building EVs to and they will totally have better range and a lower price than the Model 3 when they bring it to the market in 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Shai-Hulud posted:

I like Tesla just because they made EVs that people actually wanted to buy and now every other car manufacturer is scrambling to do the same while talking about how Tesla is totally no danger to them and will fail any minute but just because they feel like it they are gonna start building EVs to and they will totally have better range and a lower price than the Model 3 when they bring it to the market in 2022

The Bolt already exists.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Shai-Hulud posted:

I really doubt any of the car manufacturers feel threatened by Tesla. They all had EV technology in the making, and now it became trendy so why not cash in on the positive press. The vast majority of money is still made by selling ICE cars.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

My mom had the 40th Anniversary Grand Prix (not supercharged, sadly) and the HUD was cool as hell and wish I could have it on my current car.

There are aftermarket units that you can stick on your dash that us ODBII or GPS.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Shai-Hulud posted:

I thought they were scrambling to make electric cars because of perverse incentives brought on by government regulations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I really doubt any of the car manufacturers feel threatened by Tesla. They all had EV technology in the making, and now it became trendy so why not cash in on the positive press. The vast majority of money is still made by selling ICE cars.

I think Tesla publishing its patents had alot to do with the huge jump in EV tech

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrOnBicycle posted:

No doubt most companies were making some inroads to electric cars but if you look at what was available before 2011: (Wikipedia I know but)

The Nissan Leaf, introduced in Japan and the United States in December 2010, became the first modern all-electric, zero tailpipe emission five door family hatchback to be produced for the mass market from a major manufacturer.
The Smart electric drive, Wheego Whip LiFe, Mia electric, Volvo C30 Electric, and the Ford Focus Electric were launched for retail customers during 2011.  In February 2011, the Mitsubishi i MiEV became the first electric car to sell more than of more than 10,000 units, including the models badged in Europe as Citroën C-Zero and Peugeot.

The leaf was the only serious attempt at an electric car available at this point. The model s came out and everyone ramped it up because they'd been embarrassed by a nobody releasing a 335 mile range full-size car that was safe and fast, it only got better.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
B-b-but panel gaps!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Shai-Hulud posted:

Eventually companies have to do something other than turn investor money into poorly assembled cars.

Testla will just be another Tivo/Motorola/Fage. They largely created the market, but won't be more than a minor player in the long term.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 8, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

B-b-but panel gaps!

And it comes in your favorite color, as long as that color is red.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

FatCow posted:

Eventually companies have to do something other than turn investor money into poorly assembled cars.

I too have been betting on GM and Chrysler going bankrupt for years but somehow they keep finding new investors to keep them afloat. :shrug:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Door Frame posted:

I think Tesla publishing its patents had alot to do with the huge jump in EV tech

Tesla didn't publish their patents they allowed other companies to develop technologies that may have infringed upon them. With the rare exception of classified ones, all patents are published. The reduced threat of a law suit might have helped...maybe

That said if you meant that other people seeing their patents meant that they were inspired to make new/competing stuff, you're way off. I'm an engineer and I've worked with hundreds and hundreds of other engineers and never EVER met one that uses a patent to develop a product. I hold a few patents myself and could not recreate my own invention from the loving things.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah, so you are the one that did the 100MPG carb.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

B-b-but panel gaps!

I stick my dick in the panel gaps.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kastein posted:

I too have been betting on GM and Chrysler going bankrupt for years but somehow they keep finding new investors to keep them afloat. :shrug:

What’d it pay out? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Chapter_11_reorganization and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Chapter_11_reorganization

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I think you might be taking a joke/burn far too seriously here sir

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I stick my dick in the panel gaps.

...I did that when I was your age, and it was a bad move

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Nuevo posted:

...I did that when I was your age, and it was a bad move

I got this reference. :golfclap:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Something failed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

wesleywillis posted:

Something failed.

The logo in the middle threw the BCD clocking off, I reckon.

E: also the count.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Something failed.

Gonna say that's a human error somewhere. Either the wrong blank was loaded, or the wrong program was running. Either way, it's kind of impressive that the machine handled it anyway. Probab;y even usable if the back side doesn't have weight-reducing hollows where the bolt holes ended up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It looks like a re-drill. People do it on rare wheels to fit them on their cars. Benz/BMW wheels onto VW's is pretty common.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

These aren’t redrilled since it’s the initial blank wheel.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

These aren’t redrilled since it’s the initial blank wheel.

Unless someone welded/filled the original holes, and had them repainted. Again, I've seen it.

BMW RC090's re-drilled to 5x100.

6-series wheels redrilled for a Passat

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Unless someone welded/filled the original holes, and had them repainted. Again, I've seen it.

Some people have more money than taste.

wesleywillis posted:

Something failed.

But this, well some people have more money and crack than taste.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Those aren't rare wheels in the least though; they're run of the mill ~2010 VW wheels (probably Passat or Jetta).

I really want to agree with Darchangel, but I can't think of any modern VW that still uses 4 lugs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Those aren't rare wheels in the least though; they're run of the mill ~2010 VW wheels (probably Passat or Jetta).

I really want to agree with Darchangel, but I can't think of any modern VW that still uses 4 lugs.

Their superminis (the one a size down from a Polo, can’t remember what they’re called) are still 4x100

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sharkytm posted:

BMW RC090's re-drilled to 5x100.

'Welded' and 'redrilled' are just two of the words that I don't want associated with any wheels that go on my car, thank you very much.

(Also 'straightened' and 'blinged')

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looks to me like the wheel somehow ended up on a VW Bulli manufacturing line.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

spog posted:

'Welded' and 'redrilled' are just two of the words that I don't want associated with any wheels that go on my car, thank you very much.

(Also 'straightened' and 'blinged')

Oh, I'm with you 100%. There are also scary looking like pattern adapters, and the ever popular redrill-without-filling. Stance nation, yo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kerosene19 posted:

Someone forgot to check the gear pins, that’s a paddlin’.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
From the airliners thread it might be one of the "terrible teens" 787s :laffo:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Is it typical of those 787s for the front to fall down?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Is it typical of those 787s for the front to fall down?

There are a lot of them flying around the world and very seldom does this happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powershift posted:

There are a lot of them flying around the world and very seldom does this happen.

Well what sort of standards are these 787s built to?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Well what sort of standards are these 787s built to?

Strict aeronautical engineering standards.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sharkytm posted:

Strict aeronautical engineering standards.

How strict?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

How strict?

Well, cardboard's out. There are also minimum crew requirements.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

sharkytm posted:

rims more than the car, wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Well, cardboard's out. There are also minimum crew requirements.

What's the minimum crew?