Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

But that would weigh like 4500 lbs. The RS would STILL be more fun.

What you want is a Focus RS that sounds like a v8 and makes 400 HP.

I can't fix the sound but this exists and makes the RS faster to 60 than a GT:
http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-rs/20116/ford-focus-rs-mountune-m400-review-can-the-rs-cope-with-nearly-400bhp

Okay

I'd still prefer the hypothetical, RWD Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Any particular reason you'd prefer RWD over rear biased AWD? I have no problems getting the rear end out when I disable TC all the way.

https://youtu.be/HkK7ev8IiLI

Edit: Those white wheels look so good I need a set of white wheels. :retrogames:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 10, 2018

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

...and I'm really surprised more goons didn't put their money where their mouth is and pick one up.

Are you, though?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

D C posted:

It's all anecdotal, but I'm on my 6 vw/audi with zero problems. Including 2 mk4s which are supposedly the worst of them. Facebook car groups suck, like any other car forum.

:yeah:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

D C posted:

It's all anecdotal, but I'm on my 6 vw/audi with zero problems. Including 2 mk4s which are supposedly the worst of them. Facebook car groups suck, like any other car forum.

What's your average ownership duration?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

What's your average ownership duration?

Probably 2 years on all of them? I have a problem.

The 2001 Golf TDI is still in the family, had a turbo replacement due to an accident, otherwise it still chugs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

I have indeed considered the Golf R.

A friend of mine added me to a VW Golf enthusiast group on Facebook.
It was full of self congratulatory fanboys who thought their cars were the best ever. They were extremely delusional. I’ve seen so many posts for 2016+ cars with check engine lights, Christmas tree instrument clusters and bizarre issues. A lot of 2015 models started getting corrosion on door edges and hood surfaces which isn’t supposed to happen (thought these cars are superior in galvanization).

Anyway waking up to a news feed with yet another Golf driver talking about how much he loves his car despite problem X makes me think my 50k is better spent on a Type R or a Si.

We have thread residents here who used to drive these cars- throatwarbler and I think powershift. And y’all had so many VW issues and fuckups I wouldn’t wanna waste my money on it.

That said I have test driven a GTI recently and it’s a ton of fun. Definitely a good car (when it works).

I can get a pretty good deal on an AWD 3.8T G80 or any of the civics (Touring, SI, R). I am leaning in this direction understanding that reliability means I sacrifice fun and it hurts to think about it.

lmao at this really bad post trying to throw shade at powershift :laffo:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

D C posted:

Probably 2 years on all of them? I have a problem.

Super weird that you’ve had good luck mechanically with cars you’ve owned for a whole 2 years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kraftwerk posted:

So my dearly departed grandfather left me an inheritance worth about 300k “for my future”.
I drive a rusted rattletrap of a car on its last legs right now. My first instinct is to run to a BMW dealer and factory order an M5 to experience something I likely never expected to have in my life time. But I feel that would dishonour his memory and my income is fairly meagre that I don’t think I’d wanna blow all this away maintaining an expensive toy of a car.

Cooler heads are prevailing and I feel I’d be better served if I simply buy a nicely equipped civic or 2018 Camry V6 and drive it into the ground the way I did my current vehicle.

Are there any other cars I could buy that would at least put a smile on my face while giving me many years of relatively headache free service? My thought maybe is the Stinger but again I’m unsure about it’s long term reliability and cost effectiveness.

Really I'd just get a really nice used car. You get to save $$$$, you get something super nice compared to what you are used to, and you won't wake up the day/week/month after you buy a new car and regret your car payment.
Heck you could even get an M5, just make sure whatever you get has already had the depreciation slapped off then it won't sting so bad when you pass your car onto the next guy. If you don't do that then hey, you have a car you like for a long time and the funds to maintain it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Kraftwerk, just a reminder that the Genesis with the 5.0 in Canada is only available in AWD.

It's a great car in either V8 or V6 configuration.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao at this really bad post trying to throw shade at powershift :laffo:

I don't think he can even fit in a modern Volkswagen product.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm hurt.

My record is completely unblemished as far as configurations go. Nothing but a flat 4, straight 6, or V8. No front wheel drive, no transverse engines.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think he can even fit in a modern Volkswagen product.

I could probably drive an UP! from the back seat.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

eyebeem posted:

If ford made a 4-door mustang gt hatchback with the room of a focus I’d buy that over a Focus RS.

So a Kia Stinger, basically.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

EnergizerFellow posted:

yup, but with a V8. :black101:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EnergizerFellow posted:

Ford
Mustang
GT

I like the stinger, but it’s closer to a sedan Focus RS than a hatchback Mustang. Are you even trying?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Look all these new posts! Oh, someone made a 'recommend me a car' post.

And none of you fuckers say miata? Goddamn.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

eyebeem posted:

Okay

I'd still prefer the hypothetical, RWD Mustang.

The only Mustang you’d buy over a Focus RS is the GT350.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The main problem with the Focus RS is that it still looks like a Focus.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And also the fact that the greedy fuckers price it like it's made out of vibranium, and then demand a premium on top of MSRP. They can shove it up their rear end, and gently caress off as they're doing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, there's a glut of them around here now and there are some dealers advertising them well under MSRP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You spelled "best thing" wrong.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry, it just looks like a souped up grocery getter to me :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's exactly what the hot hatch market is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Exactly. :iia:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a red '18 RS at the Ford dealer in my town. Might have to go just take a look at it. It looks good in pics.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In like the exterior of the RS, but the interior is an abomination. There's zero visual flow.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

In like the exterior of the RS, but the interior is an abomination. There's zero visual flow.

They spent the budget on raw speed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

There's a red '18 RS at the Ford dealer in my town. Might have to go just take a look at it. It looks good in pics.

The LSD in the '18s supposedly makes a huge difference. I'd absolutely check it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They spent the budget on raw speed.

Eh, not talking about materials or anything. It's just an overly busy poor design.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks the same as every other modern Ford. That's not why people buy them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KillHour posted:

It looks the same as every other modern Ford. That's not why people buy them.

Yes, I agree.

Not saying it would keep me from buying one, it's just certainly the worst out of all the competitors.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ive decided to wait for the G70 and arrange a test drive. I’ll compare that experience to the Civic Type R.
One of these two will be a winner. In the meantime I’ll set aside the money I’d spend on the car in a savings account and invest the rest so I don’t get too crazy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

That's the Raptor

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Welp, after years of bitching that the auto industry wouldn't make a fast RWD sedan for under $40k, I finally put my money where my mouth is. Here's a horribly color-inaccurate cell phone pic of the new car I like.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Excellent, just excellent.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

davebo posted:

Welp, after years of bitching that the auto industry wouldn't make a fast RWD sedan for under $40k, I finally put my money where my mouth is. Here's a horribly color-inaccurate cell phone pic of the new car I like.

Gonna plasti-dip it brown?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

smooth jazz posted:

Excellent, just excellent.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

[...] vw/audi [...] mk4s [...]

I'm so so sorry. My hatred for Golf mk4s is eternal.

Also, the new V60 is looking just as nice as the V90.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

Can't you buy a scat pack charger for under 40k? I mean you have to stop for corners but you get from corner to corner fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm so so sorry. My hatred for Golf mk4s is eternal.

Also, the new V60 is looking just as nice as the V90.

God drat.