Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Actually you'll find that Masahiro Sakurai was watching Dynasty while programming Kirby's Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Claire's is going under so you'll all have to take your kids to somewhere qualified for ear piercings

I just bought a phone case there in the fall. Place was deserted.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

The current debt load is more than 10 times a key measure of its annual earnings, the result of its 2007 leveraged buyout by Apollo. More than $1.4 billion of its debt matures next year, and more immediate pressure comes from a $60 million interest payment that’s due March 13. A Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, which is typical for retailers, would allow the chain to continue operating and keep creditors at bay until a turnaround plan could be formalized.
Gotta suck every penny out of them before they go.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

how was the mall in general?

is any claires not in a mall?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm shocked they lasted this long. Every single time I've walked past a Claire's literally anywhere in the past 15 years it's had two customers in it at most. Usually they've just been empty except for a very, very bored looking cashier.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Our local mall's Claire's is the oldest store in it, I'm fairly certain. Maybe the Chick-Fil-A has been there longer?

It's going to be kind of a bummer to see it go.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TurboTax posted:

Kirby vacuums seem like they could in theory be the Viking or the Sub-Zero of vacuums—the vintage look, the lack of more than one model at a time, the fact that they're all made in America (at least according to Wikipedia). But maybe there's already a brand or a couple brands that are aimed at the Viking/Sub-Zero demographic.

I think Kirby is just skating by on brand recognition at this point. Sub-Zero, Viking, Wolf, etc, are actually really high quality stuff, not just because of the price point, but they're all very well made, and probably the only fridges on the market that are worth putting money into repairing if they break. There is a pretty big quality difference in buying something by one of those brands vs. a Kenmore or whatever. Kirby on the other hand seems to more or less be a mid-quality vacuum marked up %1000

For the Sub-Zero crowd I can see them gravitating to something like a Dyson or a Rainbow, or just having a built in system.

Comedy answer: Like somebody who can afford Sub-Zero is gonna clean their own house :v:

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Comedy answer: Like somebody who can afford Sub-Zero is gonna clean their own house :v:

That occurred to me pretty quickly too. I don't think you're too far off about that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TurboTax posted:

That occurred to me pretty quickly too. I don't think you're too far off about that.

Hey, I want Enrique to have the very best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TurboTax posted:

Kirby vacuums seem like they could in theory be the Viking or the Sub-Zero of vacuums—the vintage look, the lack of more than one model at a time, the fact that they're all made in America (at least according to Wikipedia). But maybe there's already a brand or a couple brands that are aimed at the Viking/Sub-Zero demographic.

I'm picturing Mortal Kombat characters and you can't stop me.

Also I mostly recall the Kirby from The Brave Little Toaster, which admittedly is a pretty fitting name for a vacuum cleaner. There's also Jack Kirby.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

For the Sub-Zero crowd I can see them gravitating to something like a Dyson or a Rainbow, or just having a built in system.

I've done direct Rainbow Vacuum System consumer sales for Rexair to make ends meet. We'd ring your doorbell, hope you don't slam it at in our faces, invite our way in with a promise of free cash, cleaning products and a scratch off ticket that gave you a certain % off the final purchase. We were cheaper than Kirby, and had a better product over all so it felt as scummy as anything, but at least we weren't the gross Kirby guys.

It's decent work if you're great at sales, but you definitely only make sales with olds and it feels disgusting. Plus it's a side job that earns you 10K a year if you truly have the hustle. I stand by the product, I still have one that I swear by, but it is gross targeted marketing , quality be banned,

One commission check kept me fed for two months, but what was the price to my soul? This assumes I had one.

edit: Their main hiring criteria was "could you be a horrible game show host?' If you had the gift of gab you were in.
They ran the sells as though the were a gamehow that you "won" by cleaning an area I dusted with some baking soda or chalk powder. If I successfully cleaned the area of dust, the rainbow won and you still got prizes. Holy poo poo that job was scum.

Rexair: ruining co-eds and felons via corporate greed and an out-moded type of sales game.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Mar 10, 2018

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

tenspott posted:

You start out in 2004 by saying, “Hipster. Hipster. Hipster.” By 2008 you can't say “hipster” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like co-op, fair trade and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about sustainability, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] millennials buy more than Xers. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the scene problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We cater to certain activities,” is much more abstract than even the co-op thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Hipster, hipster.”

holy poo poo this is good :love::love:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm shocked they lasted this long. Every single time I've walked past a Claire's literally anywhere in the past 15 years it's had two customers in it at most. Usually they've just been empty except for a very, very bored looking cashier.

Ditto.

There was a Claire's by me who ended up closing because they had opened one at a new outlet mall two miles away. All the poo poo was marked down to 50 cents, so I bought about 10 years worth of gifts for my nieces. Serves me right, now one of them loves Hot Topic and the other doesn't wear much jewelry.

I used to do a ton of online shopping for Claire's when all their holiday poo poo went for $2 each or something. Hats, gloves, Halloween decor...the past few years they haven't done the mass clearance, so gently caress it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Gorson posted:

I knew a guy who sold Kirby's until he couldn't live with himself. The whole thing is a scam. They are good vacuums, but there's maybe $100 in cost in them. The company has a bare minimum that you can sell them for, and at that price all the profit goes to the company and the salesman gets nothing. It was something like $600. Anything above and beyond that went to the salesman. So of course you're going to have some predatory poo poo going on. All of the people buying Kirby's for more than $2000 could have saved about $1700 just by leaving the house, going to a store, and buying the best model they have.

When I made an ill-advised move to a new city with no job me and a couple friends all applied to different jobs on craigslist and coincidentally it was one of the people higher up the Kirby pyramid doing a mass recruitment scam to get more salesman for his downline. He had posted fake job ads in every category all over craigslist for that city. I had applied for a warehouse position and they threw the resume they asked me to bring in the garbage before pointing me to a room in the abandoned strip mall he was renting for two days that had 30 people in it.

It's was the most scummy thing I've ever experienced. My ride was all about it so I was there for the entire two hour demonstration. I'm also pretty sure he had someone in the audience helping him.

Highlights

He refused to tell anyone what the company was or what the job was for almost a half hour. He instead repeatedly namedropped Rupert Murdoch and spent a solid 15 minutes talking about how much money he makes and his day to day life on his huge salary. Made a point to show everyone all of his jewelry and list a bunch of prices for his rings and necklace. Talked about his BMW in the parking lot.

When he finally revealed the company was Kirby 8-10 people got up and immediately left. The guy just smirked and his plant in the audience asked why all of those people were so hostile to the idea of making money. He apparently had so many people leave during his presentations that he started exploiting it and making anyone who stayed feel superior to those that left because they "aren't afraid of possibilities." We had a lady curse him out on her way out for wasting her time and this just made the salesman look even better to anyone who didn't know what was going on.

When he called everyone after the seminar you were instructed to either tell him "Yes, I want a Job" or "No, I don't want an opportunity." I just didn't answer the phone.

He spoke about you taking "a company car to pre-scheduled appointments" which I later realized was his terminology for the panel van with no seats that he crammed 5-6 salesmen making minimum wage into before dumping them out in random neighborhoods and telling them to go door to door.

It was like a min-maxxed shifty salesman.

VictorianQueerLit has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Mar 11, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Edit: wrong thread

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I had a Kirby I found in the trash and it was loving awesome. Not $2500 awesome but it was the best vacuum I've ever had.

One time I was at a friend's house and the Kids guy came to the door. We told him straight out we weren't gonna buy anything. He was cool though so we just got him drunk while he hosed out our cars. A couple of hours later a van rolled around and picked him up. I'm guessing it was his taskmaster driving and a bunch of other slaves in the back.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this count as circling the drain?

The FCC regulates America's commercial satellites. Last year, a Silicon Valley satellite communications company asked them for permission to test a batch of very small experimental satellites. The company was told no, the small satellite's were too hard to track. But they could go ahead with launching bigger ones that were easier to track.

They paid an Indian company to launch the small ones anyways. The FCC is not happy and could strip the company of their license to work in outer space.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/satellites/fcc-accuses-stealthy-startup-of-launching-rogue-satellites

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wouldn’t they just incorporate a sub somewhere else? Does the FCC’s jurisdiction pierce corporate ownership like that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kirbys are loving good but yeah, like $1000 good not $2500 good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I bought a Kirby G5 at Goodwill for $20 about ten years ago. Thing had been through hell and back, and it looked like someone was using it in a wood shop before donating it because the disposable bag (which was so incredibly swollen it burst inside the outer bag and filled that up, too) was full of nothing but sawdust. The brush roller was so wrapped up in carpet fibers that it broke the drive belt and did nothing, wouldn't even spin. I saw potential in it, though, and for $20, why the gently caress not? Took it apart, cleaned out the bags, cleaned the brush roller, lubed it, and even metal polished the body to like new. In the end, all it needed was a new drive belt and a bulb for the headlight. Thing is a beast and a hell of a vacuum cleaner. You can't kill a Kirby, but I would never buy a new one because they're a loving scummy predatory sales company.

The Kirby is retired, though. Replaced by an Oreck XL commercial vacuum that I picked up at the same Goodwill for $10. I honestly find it much better than a Kirby.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this derail sucks

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kirby built a loving tank for a vacuum and instead of destroying all other competitors decided door-to-door scummy practices were the way to go.

So they sell 500 a month for $2600 when they could have sold 20,000 for $400. It’s as if Dyson decided to only advertise in the back of Rolling Stone magazines next to the Spanish Fly ads.

You have to admire their dedication to the worst possible marketing decisions.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Wouldn’t they just incorporate a sub somewhere else? Does the FCC’s jurisdiction pierce corporate ownership like that?

Swarm Tech is a US company so it needs FCC permission to operate satellites and to sell satellite services. If they formed a foreign subsidiary to bypass the FCC it seems to have operated without any governments permission. But even if there was foreign permission, the FCC could have grounds to punish Swarm for defying the initial order.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Nothing but respect for the REAL Kirby vacuum

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Last Chance posted:

this derail sucks

Talking about a door to door/MLM sales company still active in 2018 that sells $3,000 vacuums is extremely relevant to the thread. Feel free to contribute literally anything to the conversation other than how you personally don't like it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Talking about a door to door/MLM sales company still active in 2018 that sells $3,000 vacuums is extremely relevant to the thread. Feel free to contribute literally anything to the conversation other than how you personally don't like it.

once again VQL bravely avoids getting a joke

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

:thejoke:

EDIT: Beaten like an old Kirby vacuum.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

once again VQL bravely avoids getting a joke

You're right. I'll take it to the pet peeve thread. Along with forums grudges like yours the complaint about derails is one of my biggest.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"forums grudges" oh my god

e: i have never seen a person get so salty about not getting a joke before this very moment, i'm dying

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Mar 11, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

food court bailiff posted:

"forums grudges" oh my god

e: i have never seen a person get so salty about not getting a joke before this very moment, i'm dying

:emptyquote:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

this derail sucks

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

You're right. I'll take it to the pet peeve thread. Along with forums grudges like yours the complaint about derails is one of my biggest.

y'all talking about VACUUMS and he said it SUCKED.... like a VACUUM does....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kirby created an unique business model that stampeded across the industry, harnessing a decentralized stable of salesmen chopping at the bit to jockey for the Triple Crown of commissions.

They sometimes felt like geldings after particularly difficult days out in the field, but Kirby’s sales support helped them get a leg up on the competition. As the saying goes, “I’m rubber and you’re glue and holy poo poo don’t Google smegma while you’re trying to think up puns because the first results are images.”

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ladron posted:

how was the mall in general?

is any claires not in a mall?

Amusingly, some Toys R Us stores got a Clarie's-branded section several years ago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-claires-toys-r-us-20140917-story.html

https://www.toysrus.com/toys/events/claires-store-list

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RandomPauI posted:

Does this count as circling the drain?

The FCC regulates America's commercial satellites. Last year, a Silicon Valley satellite communications company asked them for permission to test a batch of very small experimental satellites. The company was told no, the small satellite's were too hard to track. But they could go ahead with launching bigger ones that were easier to track.

They paid an Indian company to launch the small ones anyways. The FCC is not happy and could strip the company of their license to work in outer space.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/satellites/fcc-accuses-stealthy-startup-of-launching-rogue-satellites

That poo poo pisses me off. Purposefully and maliciously went around regulation out of greed and risked the safety of other missions in space.

There should be jail time for this kind of thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

Swarm Tech is a US company so it needs FCC permission to operate satellites and to sell satellite services. If they formed a foreign subsidiary to bypass the FCC it seems to have operated without any governments permission. But even if there was foreign permission, the FCC could have grounds to punish Swarm for defying the initial order.

I'm not a lawyer but I think there's issues where if they just said "welp, we're not American anymore!" there are ways to prevent the company from operating in America at all. In any event stuff like this is going to be the thing that leads to international treaties to cover stuff. The first time an American astronaut is killed by a piece of unregulated space something launched by some other country with lax laws there's going to be a huge push to change things.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I had a Kirby I found in the trash and it was loving awesome. Not $2500 awesome but it was the best vacuum I've ever had.

One time I was at a friend's house and the Kids guy came to the door. We told him straight out we weren't gonna buy anything. He was cool though so we just got him drunk while he hosed out our cars. A couple of hours later a van rolled around and picked him up. I'm guessing it was his taskmaster driving and a bunch of other slaves in the back.

Seems like a clever individual could make a decent side-hustle out of just offering to do some vacuuming for like $10-20 dollars.

All this talk of good products ruined by lovely sales tactics reminds me of the summer all my friends were selling Cutco knives. I regret not getting in on it because you got to keep your demo set.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

there wolf posted:

Seems like a clever individual could make a decent side-hustle out of just offering to do some vacuuming for like $10-20 dollars.

All this talk of good products ruined by lovely sales tactics reminds me of the summer all my friends were selling Cutco knives. I regret not getting in on it because you got to keep your demo set.

You kept it because you paid for it, or at least you did when it was offered to me as a job in the 90s.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Carrion Luggage posted:

You kept it because you paid for it, or at least you did when it was offered to me as a job in the 90s.

I was going to say, pretty certain Avon and basically every other scheme like that works the same way. You're functionally just a reseller for whatever product you're selling.

Actually, recently a cousin of mine has been trying to sell some line of makeup on Facebook, but she also has posts about "being your own woman" or whatever for some "low" entry price (again, buying the product before you can sell it) in an attempt to get others into it.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Mar 11, 2018