Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Skylar slowed down the show. Imagine watching the movie Falling Down but before Michael Douglas goes nuts in the fast food place and rants about breakfast, his wife intervenes and prevents him from shooting up the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, without Skylar Walter would have completely lost his mind and committed suicide-by-cop. (Spoilered the ending of Falling Down)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would have preferred that over the "everything is neatly wrapped up" ending we got.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Which has been rebooted more times, TMNT or Scooby Doo?

I think Scooby Doo probably has had more shows but it feels like I hear about them rebooting TMNT every two or three years. Give it another decade or two and it will catch up.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Anna Gunn got straight up death threats for playing the role.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Scooby Doo probably has had more shows but it feels like I hear about them rebooting TMNT every two or three years. Give it another decade or two and it will catch up.

The last TMNT cartoon started in 2012, the one before that in 2003. (and there was a short lived live action series before that, which crossed over with Power Rangers In Space. It was weird)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Raph is goddamn huge and uses tonfa instead of sais. (weirdly enough, there might be some relation there)

I wonder if the sai to tonfa change is because a bludgeoning weapon is seen as less violent (regardless of the reality of being cut versus beaten).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aren't sais meant to be roughly all-purpose blunt/disarm/stabby weapons anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sais were never meant to be used as punch-daggers like comics and cartoons imply, they're defensive weapons for catching and breaking/disarming swords. (hence why Leo always loses to Raph; hell, the animated movie specifically has Raph win by breaking Leo's swords)

Might be more that sais would look silly in the hands of a much larger Raph, while tonfas work at that scale, while still having the theme of being defensive weapons. Meanwhile, Mikey appears to have a flying guillotine.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Might be more that sais would look silly in the hands of a much larger Raph, while tonfas work at that scale, while still having the theme of being defensive weapons. Meanwhile, Mikey appears to have a flying guillotine.

They better fight only robots, because I'm not sure how you get away with a flying guillotine on a children's show otherwise.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tangentially related to that, I was somewhat surprised recently to discover that Walter White is (or at least was, for a while) apparently this alt-right icon because they see him as some sort of badass criminal grandmaster who's liberated himself from "liberal morality".

Do they just ignore the last episode where Walter goes on a nazi killing rampage?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Do they just ignore the last episode where Walter goes on a nazi killing rampage?

virtue signaling to appease the liberal censorship panels, OBVIOUSLY

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I assume they also ignore the fact that the reasons Walt breaks bad are too-expensive health care matched with the sort of toxic, prideful masculinity that leads to a man refusing all assistance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't tell you. I thought the alt-right people were into that angle where they nominally (though most of the time don't actually) believe in the welfare state so long as it only benefits white people.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Well yeah, he was unable to afford healthcare and after that realization he picked himself up by his bootstraps and became a super badass. The fact that it was through drugs would only have mattered if he were black.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

We're getting a new one of those soon, by the way. They've gone back to 2D animation instead of CGI this time around, and all the turtles are different species now. Raph is goddamn huge and uses tonfa instead of sais. (weirdly enough, there might be some relation there)

Looked this up and it's called "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". What started this trend of "Rise of [thing]"? Rise of Cobra?

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
i've been going back and rewatching Season 5 of the simpsons and i don't think it's nearly as grounded and lacking of "wacky hijinx" that ya'll remember

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

sassassin posted:

Bullying doesn't become acceptable just because the target is otherwise happy and/or successful. The main cast relentlessly wailing on a designated punching bag isn't funny and it makes them all look like lovely people in a otherwise saccharine sweet workplace-as-family show.

This is indentical to the character of newscaster Sally Smedley on the sitcom 'Drop the Dead Donkey' in the 1990s, set in a British television newsroom. The whole characterisation did not work.

She was an early example of a media 'personality' before reality TV was a thing. She was an eccentric, sharply-dressed and forever sucking up to (what British audiences would consider to be) lowly media entities like Cilla Black and Lionel Blair in a desperate attempt to climb the career ladder. She was prone to histrionic (but witty) outbursts towards her colleagues, and had little interest in politics or political discourse. We also learn that she had a difficult upbringing with absent parents and an aging, belligerent grandmother. But she isn't that unlikeable a character. She is shown to work pretty hard at her job as well as promoting her own image, doing things that any eager Instagram or YouTube celeb would do today.

From off the top of my head, over the course of the series she is victim to multiple pranks to 'put her in her place' (she is brought in to 'sex up' the network when it changes ownership in the pilot episode and is instantly hated). Her face appears on a dartboard, she unwittingly drinks urine, she is recorded in the ladies bathroom, she is recorded having sex and the tapes are sold around the office, she has holes poked in her condoms (she gets pregnant later - possibly unrelated - but then loses the baby in a cringeworthy episode played for laughs), she has 'I AM STUPID' written on her back before a film premiere. Not to mention the constant verbal harassment concerning her liberal sex life, which is open and frequent and the audience thinks it's hysterical.

Kudos to Victoria Wicks for playing the role completely straight (with a degree of declining mental health and desperation) and not some airhead caricature, because drat.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mu Zeta posted:

Skylar slowed down the show. Imagine watching the movie Falling Down but before Michael Douglas goes nuts in the fast food place and rants about breakfast, his wife intervenes and prevents him from shooting up the place.

No, she didn't even really do that though... it was a rocket ship of a TV show. I mean by season 3 Walter is cooking meth in a super-lab making millions of dollars a year and then 15 episodes later he's an international kingpin worth like $100,000,000 so it's not like the show ever really took it's foot off the gas. That's not even counting her actually helping to launder the money for a while either.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Mar 11, 2018

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
She was working against what the protagonist wanted. The fact that the protagonist was a monster is irrelevant

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also the subplot of her working at that job which really wasn't that interesting. Her stuff wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't as compelling as what Walter was up to.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

knife_of_justice posted:

This is indentical to the character of newscaster Sally Smedley on the sitcom 'Drop the Dead Donkey' in the 1990s, set in a British television newsroom. The whole characterisation did not work.

You seem to have completely misread the personality of everyone in Drop the Dead Donkey - they're all absolute monsters, mainly based on people from the TV industry. Sally Smedly isn't a lovely happy go lucky character who is bullied, she's a shallow Thatcherite who doesn't give a gently caress about anyone or anything else as long as she is fine - I mean she basically has a house slave the whole run of the show and sees nothing wrong with that. And yes she had a broken childhood, but everyone on the show is a broken alcoholic or workaholic or whateverholic. You could maybe argue that the show's portrayal of non-heterosexual characters has aged but even at the time all the people who were being rude about lesbians etc were meant to be horrible people who were wrong.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

ookiimarukochan posted:

You seem to have completely misread the personality of everyone in Drop the Dead Donkey - they're all absolute monsters, mainly based on people from the TV industry. Sally Smedly isn't a lovely happy go lucky character who is bullied, she's a shallow Thatcherite who doesn't give a gently caress about anyone or anything else as long as she is fine - I mean she basically has a house slave the whole run of the show and sees nothing wrong with that. And yes she had a broken childhood, but everyone on the show is a broken alcoholic or workaholic or whateverholic. You could maybe argue that the show's portrayal of non-heterosexual characters has aged but even at the time all the people who were being rude about lesbians etc were meant to be horrible people who were wrong.

I forgot about the house slave. Yeah she could be a hieratical bitch but it's strange in 2018 to think of those punishments meted out to a woman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tumble posted:

No, she didn't even really do that though... it was a rocket ship of a TV show. I mean by season 3 Walter is cooking meth in a super-lab making millions of dollars a year and then 15 episodes later he's an international kingpin worth like $100,000,000 so it's not like the show ever really took it's foot off the gas. That's not even counting her actually helping to launder the money for a while either.

The part where she was forced to help him launder money and also work against Hank were great. But pretty much all the other scenes are long boring breakfasts or working as an accountant.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

knife_of_justice posted:

I forgot about the house slave. Yeah she could be a hieratical bitch but it's strange in 2018 to think of those punishments meted out to a woman.

You also say that Sally's miscarriage is played for laughs when, at least as I remember from when I watched the episode the other day, it is very clearly a tender moment for her, and one of the few times where she showed genuine emotion beyond petty spite and self-aggrandizement. Over the course of the episode Sally had come to love the idea of being a mother, and having that taken away from her was devastating.

And seconding the fact that Sally wasn't someone even remotely sympathetic. In almost every other episode she is shown to be spiteful, deceitful, and just generally not a nice person at all. A lot of the pranks weren't to "Put her in her place", they were because she had drawn the ire of everyone in the office through her behaviour. A comparison to Jerry from Parks and Rec does him a tremendous disservice: The joke with Jerry is that he has done nothing truly wrong and is treated like scum by his colleagues. Sally Smedly is a genuinely nasty person.

EDIT: One thing that aged horribly from Drop The Dead Donkey was some of the jokes from the first episode about Henry calling a waiter by an ethnic slur.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Hattie Masters posted:

You also say that Sally's miscarriage is played for laughs when, at least as I remember from when I watched the episode the other day, it is very clearly a tender moment for her, and one of the few times where she showed genuine emotion beyond petty spite and self-aggrandizement. Over the course of the episode Sally had come to love the idea of being a mother, and having that taken away from her was devastating.

And seconding the fact that Sally wasn't someone even remotely sympathetic. In almost every other episode she is shown to be spiteful, deceitful, and just generally not a nice person at all. A lot of the pranks weren't to "Put her in her place", they were because she had drawn the ire of everyone in the office through her behaviour. A comparison to Jerry from Parks and Rec does him a tremendous disservice: The joke with Jerry is that he has done nothing truly wrong and is treated like scum by his colleagues. Sally Smedly is a genuinely nasty person.

EDIT: One thing that aged horribly from Drop The Dead Donkey was some of the jokes from the first episode about Henry calling a waiter by an ethnic slur.

I agree that she wasn't meant to be sympathetic at first but I guess more humanity came through in the overall character development (and the actress interpretation of the character) which almost explained the pettiness and selfish behaviour. The episode with the miscarriage was played for laughs in that bizarre tragi-comic punchlines were fed in at awkward moments (this was clearly unchartered territory for a fast-moving gag-heavy sitcom back then). Sally's monologue in that episode is powerful stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Garrand posted:

Well yeah, he was unable to afford healthcare and after that realization he picked himself up by his bootstraps and became a super badass. The fact that it was through drugs would only have mattered if he were black.

Well, that and also because he applied his mind and intelligence in a way that I'm pretty sure Trumpers think that black folks are completely incapable of. They probably think that Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell are retarded thugs who got what was coming to them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did Stringer and Avon not get what was coming to them? Should they have gotten a happy ending or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I couldn't tell you. I thought the alt-right people were into that angle where they nominally (though most of the time don't actually) believe in the welfare state so long as it only benefits white people.

Nope, they're good American boys who hate anything remotely resembling or said to resemble the dreaded communism, even if it's the only thing that would ever give their movement any semblance of appeal beyond internet-broken unemployables.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did Stringer and Avon not get what was coming to them? Should they have gotten a happy ending or something?

I mean, they got what was coming to them on some level. Those lower in the food chain like Wallace, Brodie, and D were the real victims of a broken system.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solice Kirsk posted:

The point was that in the eyes of the alt-right, Walter was a white drug kingpin, so he was a brilliant, rebellious hero who was unjustly brought down by the system, while Avon and Stringer were black drug kingpins, so they were mindless thugs who got what was coming to them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flinger posted:

Looked this up and it's called "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". What started this trend of "Rise of [thing]"? Rise of Cobra?
I feel like Rise of Cobra was not big enough and I'd point to The Dark Knight Rises, but that's 2009 vs 2012 so it may well have been GI Joe somehow.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Everything that rises must converge so I’m thinking we should have more interesting crossovers by now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It started with the movie Jupiter rising

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel like Rise of Cobra was not big enough and I'd point to The Dark Knight Rises, but that's 2009 vs 2012 so it may well have been GI Joe somehow.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was 2007, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was 2003, Ziggy Stardust, the Third Reich, etc etc.

It's a pretty generic idea for a title.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was 2007, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was 2003, Ziggy Stardust, the Third Reich, etc etc.

It's a pretty generic idea for a title.

Not to mention Mercury Rising, Lucifer Rising, etc.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hattie Masters posted:

Personally, I think that 'bigoted, old tory dinosaur says racist things' is a stereotype that has, depressingly, aged very well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

TV sucks as an educational medium since the dividing line between 'entertainment' and 'education' is not very well defined.

Yeah, I'll never understand how MeTV has Saved by the Bell listed as Educational or Informative, especially after two hours of Beakman's World and Bill Nye.

muscles like this! posted:

There was also the subplot of her working at that job which really wasn't that interesting. Her stuff wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't as compelling as what Walter was up to.

I think the bigger issue with Skylar is they didn't really know what to do with her (or Walt Jr. for that matter). In the beginning they're Walt's entire motivation for getting into the meth business, but she's really just there. The thing is her ending was pretty in theme, and I think it would have worked better if that happened around season 3 to highlight just how destructive Walt had become.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not to mention Mercury Rising, Lucifer Rising, etc.

At least Mercury Rising works as a metaphor and isn't [franchise] Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Personally, I think that 'bigoted, old tory dinosaur says racist things' is a stereotype that has, depressingly, aged very well.

Yeah but Henry was a Labour supporter. Left wing individuals being okay with calling wait staff a filthy wop has definitely not aged well