Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

sneakyfrog posted:

how do you rice out a gti?

i mean i have lit door sills in the fiesta so i guess im riced out as gently caress but really?

big fart can on it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Meh, VW NAR colors are so boring.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty sure GTI owners only care about other GTI owners if they are both driving stanced cars

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Etrips posted:

Meh, VW NAR colors are so boring.

Seriously.

i would have bought a 3rd st saints purple car at a premium if it were offered.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
why_i_miss_rwd.mp4

Warbird posted:

I can understand the appeal, but that would squarely fall into stark terror for me. Might be fun to try and learn to drift though.
IMO there's no better way to learn car control than an empty snowy/icy parking lot. All the space in the world to put the car out of control in every way possible and learn how it feels both to drive on the edge and to recover when you overdo it. Everything happens in slow motion compared to the same sort of things in the dry. Once you know how your vehicle handles at and beyond the limit it becomes a lot more comfortable to drive in questionable conditions no matter what they are.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
FL equivalent is basically skidpan driving, wetted or slicked up asphalt

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I work in claims and just about every accident I see in icy or snowy conditions is a four-wheel drive vehicle.

It's seriously 80 or 90% of the ice and snow claims I see.

People who assume they can control their cars normally in icy conditions are the reason those accidents happen.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 10, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I work in claims and just about every accident I see in icy or snowy conditions is a four-wheel drive vehicle.

People who assume they can control their cars normally in icy conditions are the reason those accidents happen.

This. Holy crap, I can't count the number of SUVs I see in ditches in the winter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Four wheel go isn't always four wheel stop, it seems!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Eifert Posting posted:

One of the bigger Swedish insurance companies found the same thing. Their conclusion was that 4WD masks the bad conditions of the road, and makes the drives overly confident.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
My gf drives a Toyota Venza and I honestly prefer my FiST in the snow. I can feel what's going on with the wheels much better. Plus, ebrake slides in empty parking lots is the most fun poo poo ever.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

A lot of people without 4WD/AWD just stay home when the weather turns to poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A lot of people without 4WD/AWD just stay home when the weather turns to poo poo.

And a lot of people with 4WD/AWD assume they don't need winter tires.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I used to have an FRS on blizzaks and before that an RX-8 on blizzaks. Both of those cars were great in the winter. Since then I've had a fiesta ST on blizzaks during winter time, and a GLI on all seasons. Of those 4, the only one that has felt unsafe to drive in winter was the GLI. Winter tires matter a lot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My goal on upgrading from the Mustang to the Golf R is to lower my chances of getting completely loving stuck on a small incline or whatever. I want to be as confident when accelerating as I already am in the Mustang while braking.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

And a lot of people with 4WD/AWD assume they don't need winter tires.

Ain't that the truth. To be fair, I never once got the Impreza stuck anywhere even when I had the stock tires, but goddamn was it a game-changer when I bought Altimax Arctics, and going to a Forester with Blizzaks was another significant step up.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have Sottozeros on but no matter what you do you just can't accelerate in winter here. Feels like roads are either wet or snowy a lot of the time and it makes me want to switch from FWD to an AWD system.

Hell even a RWD car would theoretically be better as the rear gets loaded up when you're accelerating.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Midjack posted:

Four wheel go isn't always four wheel stop, it seems!
More like every properly functioning car is already four wheel stop, and while the locked together nature of a true 4WD system (or AWD with a locked center diff) can sometimes provide advantages in the same kinds of conditions where ABS actually becomes a negative (generally deep soft surfaces that'll pile up in front of a skidding tire) that doesn't really apply to slippery paved roads.

It can definitely give you more control over a drift type situation, but that requires throttling out rather than stomping the brakes, which means most non-enthusiast drivers aren't ever going to make use of that ability.

In basically all situations where normal drivers operate AWD does nothing except help you accelerate faster and drive deeper in to the soft stuff before getting stuck.

That of course doesn't even get in to how most AWD systems on modern general purpose passenger vehicles are more like FWDs that occasionally fart some power at the rear wheels, maybe, if you're spinning the front enough. There's a reason aftermarket AWD controllers are a thing for Golf Rs and the like, the stock configuration is optimized for fuel economy rather than performance.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I'm considering a slightly used Focus RS, which look to be around $30k usd with under 10k miles on autotrader etc. I leased a 2014 fiesta St and I really, really miss it. I'm leasing a base Jetta 1.4t now and It is great in terms of practically and gas mileage (40mpg highway, never ever got below 30 even when beating on it), but it's painfully boring, even with a stick.

I really only drive during the weekends since I commute to my job by train, so I only need a fun, semi practical car for backroad bombing, autox, track days, road trips, and going to my vacation house 2 hours away on most weekends.

My other consideration is a 996 or 997 911. Budget is absolutely max of 30k. Is the focus RS worth it? I would probably chip it and throw in a most compliant/comfortable suspension as well.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Full disclosure, I own a 2017 Focus RS.

Yes it’s “just a Focus”. Yes it will cause your spine to shatter and come sliding out of your rear end in a top hat. Yes they are expensive as gently caress and very hard to come by. Yes every boy racer in a Civic, GTI, and WRX will try to race you. Drift Mode is more of a curiosity than useful.

That being said:

It’s a loving riot to drive. It handles like it’s on rails and when it does get tail happy it’s totally predictable and fun on a bun. It’s got a nice fat torque curve and some basic tuning turns it into a monster. It’s the kind of car that makes you want to come up with an excuse to drive it. Launch control will embarrass other cars off the line and leave you with a poo poo eating grin on your face. It truly is a special car and nobody knows if we’ll ever get another one here in North America.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Doesn't the 2018 get a lsd somewhere on the rs?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Voltage posted:

So I'm considering a slightly used Focus RS, which look to be around $30k usd with under 10k miles on autotrader etc. I leased a 2014 fiesta St and I really, really miss it. I'm leasing a base Jetta 1.4t now and It is great in terms of practically and gas mileage (40mpg highway, never ever got below 30 even when beating on it), but it's painfully boring, even with a stick.

I really only drive during the weekends since I commute to my job by train, so I only need a fun, semi practical car for backroad bombing, autox, track days, road trips, and going to my vacation house 2 hours away on most weekends.

My other consideration is a 996 or 997 911. Budget is absolutely max of 30k. Is the focus RS worth it? I would probably chip it and throw in a most compliant/comfortable suspension as well.

Assuming the roads are smooth wherever you are, the RS is a blast. The suspension is borderline too stiff to be livable for a road car in the Detroit metro for me. I've only had one person try to race me in the 13 months I've had the car, and it was a dude in his 60s in a 40 year old trans-am. (It went about how you'd expect)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Yeah the 2018’s get a Quaife LSD on the front axle. By all accounts it makes the car feel more neutral. Personally I’ve never felt any torque steer at all in my RS, and it does feel like a rear wheel drive car more than an AWD car at times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Man 10k off MSRP for an RS with less than 10k miles is a screaming deal for fun:price. Makes me worried about the long term trade in value on mine.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That should help in autocross a lot and pull out of rear sliding out. I should get my veloster back in another week or two and experience a quaife.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Has anyone used the RS in the snow very much? Seems like it would be just as good as the WRX/STI I see up in the mountains. I am guessing it is probably great with snow tires.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kick-Puncher posted:

Has anyone used the RS in the snow very much? Seems like it would be just as good as the WRX/STI I see up in the mountains. I am guessing it is probably great with snow tires.

I drove it through a snowstorm with 4-5" untouched snow on the freeway. 50-60mph the whole way with no issues with my Blizzaks.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Kick-Puncher posted:

Yeah I got the winter wheel package with the Pilot Alpins and it’s a beast in the snow. Never had any issue here in northern Indiana.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Taking the RS out on fresh powder is fun as hell. I have a pair of LM-001's on mine and it feels planted and confident, even during slides.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

One of my cousin's kids (well, he's 30 now) owns a V6 Mustang that he's had worked up (repaint with stripes, hood pins, etc) to look like a V8. He refuses to make the 1.5 mile commute to work in their little rural Michigan town in any kind of snow because "it sucks in the snow." He has never put snow tires on it.

So he bought a POS 4wd truck that regularly dies on him instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I believe it is time to snipe a set of FoST cloth Recaros from eBay for the FiST. I plan on moving the airbags across. Doesn't seem like that much of a pain in the rear end and stupid cheap. Am I wrong?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've seen a few threads of people doing it and it does seem relatively easy if you can work a wrench. I've been tempted on and off by doing the same, I want the recaros but I hate leather.

On that note did the seats change in the newer model FiSTs? I sat in one with the recaros at the auto show recently and I fit, barely but I felt comfortable, where in previous years they felt tight. I certainly haven't lost any weight, I've actually probably gained a bit in that time.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Could have been a demo car that’s has a lot of butts in it. They definitely break in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

Could have been a demo car that’s has a lot of butts in it. They definitely break in.

That would make sense, but the previous times I've experienced the FiST Recaros have all been either at the same Cleveland auto show or in Detroit, where presumably many butts have cycled through before mine arrived. I've only ever felt the FoST models in truly new condition.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is there anything i can do to get the really nice bmw brake pedal feel on my gti? VWs seem to have very sensitive brake pedals

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kick-Puncher posted:

It’s planted as gently caress in the snow with proper tires. It’s actually hard to break loose even when trying. I did have some massive understeer on turn in at times and had to left foot trail-brake to get past it. But for regular driving in the snow it’s fuckjng perfect. I even did a launch in the snow and it hooked happily.

Edit: Also I’ve had a 2018 for a month or so now and will report back on the LSD after auto-x this weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

is there anything i can do to get the really nice bmw brake pedal feel on my gti? VWs seem to have very sensitive brake pedals

SS brake lines usually make brake pedal feel much better/firmer. Can't say I've tried it on this car but I've loved the upgrade on anything I've ever put them on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BMW/Porsche brakes just have a ton of feel and modulation..... VWs are overboosted and grabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

It’s planted as gently caress in the snow with proper tires. It’s actually hard to break loose even when trying. I did have some massive understeer on turn in at times and had to left foot trail-brake to get past it. But for regular driving in the snow it’s fuckjng perfect. I even did a launch in the snow and it hooked happily.

Edit: Also I’ve had a 2018 for a month or so now and will report back on the LSD after auto-x this weekend.

I’m interested in knowing how much difference the LSD makes. I’ve been thinking of getting a Wave-trac diff, so let me know what you think of the Quaife setup.