Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is it that TCW does politics in a way much more interesting than any of the prequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Red guards pop up at the end of Attack of the Clones too. You can spot them in the background behind Sheev as he watches the acclamators load up and take off.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Way before that - they're in his office at the start of the movie:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DancinBrud posted:

It’s honestly my least favorite thing about the character. Feels too much like “sure he’s a fascist, but he’s noble!”

loving Space Rommel.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

How is it that TCW does politics in a way much more interesting than any of the prequels?

It’s a 6 season tv show vs 3 movies that had to paint in broad strokes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

I'm doing it

I'm watching Clone Wars in chronological order

the movie is... rough

You mean visually?

I remember reading a review for it that likened the models to Roman statues, and compared to the TV show, there's times it feels like I'm watching an unfinished Story Reel that has yet to be rendered (Hoo boy, Rex's face had me in stitches when I rewatched it)

My, how far that series came

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
The visuals I can live with, honestly. But while the movie has some cool moments (the ascent to the monastery, or Anakin's initial attack on the giant battle droid), Ahsoka's characterization really really grates in this one. "Skyguy", "Stinky", "Artooie" - it's amazing what has become of the character over the years.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Dave Syndrome posted:

The visuals I can live with, honestly. But while the movie has some cool moments (the ascent to the monastery, or Anakin's initial attack on the giant battle droid), Ahsoka's characterization really really grates in this one. "Skyguy", "Stinky", "Artooie" - it's amazing what has become of the character over the years.
I don't know if it was done that way on purpose, but it does show how young she was and how much she matures as the series progresses.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ahsoka doesn't bother me. But the overall plot is just kind of thin compared even to stuff in season 1, and.

Ziro.

Whoof.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Ahsoka doesn't bother me. But the overall plot is just kind of thin compared even to stuff in season 1, and.

Ziro.

Whoof.

Zero and the rest of the hutts were awesome. Ecspecially the Don Corleone hutt.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Ardlen posted:

I don't know if it was done that way on purpose, but it does show how young she was and how much she matures as the series progresses.

Pretty sure they toned it down after getting feedback from fans.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lord Koth posted:

Zahn actually played with this in the, far later in the timeline, Hand of Thrawn duology. Wherein Luke and Mara stumble across an entire small area of space settled by the Imperial forces he went out into the Unknown Regions with, along with allies gathered since, and are basically just sitting there preparing for that threat. They've got the same sort of autocratic government as the former Empire, but a lot of the excesses of that entity under Sheev (discrimination against aliens/women for example) seem to be missing. This finally comes to a head when they stumble across a cloning tank of Thrawn, and really have to stop and wonder if now, 10 years later, he might choose to work with the New Republic since the Imperial Remnant is far more fragmented and irrelevant than it was just a few years after Endor.

Yeah, given that the whole old EU ended up being set aside anyway, I'm now sad that we didn't see a Thrawn clone come into play. I liked the Yuuzhan Vong stuff way more than the average person, and I've always loved Thrawn, so seeing Thrawn come back just accepting that he's a clone and processing that with his usual cold efficiency and then being the strategic genius that stops the Republic from getting its butt kicked would have fed right into my desires as a fan. It would have been extra fun to see him stepping onto the field personally as a commando (which I didn't even know I wanted until we got a few nice bits of it in the latest Thrawn book), the big mission in Star by Star for example would have had a very interesting dynamic if Thrawn was taking point on it. It would have led into the Chiss probably being a bigger factor in things as well, so we'd of gotten to see more of their culture, though as I recall we got some nice bits of it during the New Jedi Order stuff, and then Unknown Flight padded that out significantly more, and of course the latest Thrawn has at least the broad points of their philosophy and some fun culture tidbits sprinkled in there and set into the new canon.

I think once the Vong are in play Thrawn would be working with whatever power base he could since unknown regions threats are his sworn enemy. This is all book chatter though and there's a big ol' thread for that, but it's been interesting to see how Rebels brought in EU material, and it makes me hopeful that we'll get more shows that dip into that well and give me the visuals I'd always wanted to see when reading the books.

Throughout Thrawn's history we've never seen him side with the "good" guys, so while I'm sure some people don't want to see that happen I do think he'll be at least neutral aligned and not working for the Empire when we next see the character.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I mean, I get what they were going for since it was a show for kids, and it's not like Star Wars has any shortage of goofy nicknames in its history with even Luke being called "Wormie" in deleted scenes, but to me being so blatantly kid-friendly isn't worth the cost of alienating the adult fanbase. You're avoiding graphic on-screen deaths for the most part and having the bad guys foiled by things that are about two notches above Ewoks in kid friendliness all the time, I think that's plenty.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 10, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

Pretty sure they toned it down after getting feedback from fans.

Yeah, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment where fan-feedback affected the production process. With production leadtime, they had the entire first season and part of the second in the can and ready to broadcast before anything aired, but as soon as people started complaining about all the cutesy nicknames and such, the writers took that to heart and dialed that back haaaaaard. Mid season 2 they disappear almost entirely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DancinBrud posted:

It’s honestly my least favorite thing about the character. Feels too much like “sure he’s a fascist, but he’s noble!”

Don't really see Thrawn as fascist.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Shotgunned the entire season today. Finale was pretty good, but it really feels like that final battle on Lothal would have really been helped by Ahsoka using her couple of years of foreknowledge to build up another rebel cell and show up to the fight.

I saw that there's already been talk about it, but I'm yet another person very confused by the fourth season treating Kanan and Hera as a will-they-won't-they thing when they felt like an established, long-term couple from the first episode on.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't really see Thrawn as fascist.

He's one of my fave Star Wars characters, but even I have to admit he's actively working to promote a fascist regime. The only "good" quality he has is that he tries to minimize civilian casualties. Which to be fair, makes him stand out a lot when standard imperial policy is to take the complete opposite approach.

That mindset of his added a little something extra to the finale for me, Ezra and co. had frustrated Thrawn to the point that he had to lower himself to threatening and killing civilians.

I feel like anytime you see someone sing the praises of Thrawn, myself included, you should keep in mind it's being seen through the lens of someone who really likes the character and at some level is willing to look past or ignore the aspects of the character that make it tough to root for him. In his very first book appearance he orders the death of a guy who screws up tractor beaming in a ship in a real Vader-y way. He tones that down a lot in the latest book, but still he's just plain not a nice guy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"I like a character" and "I agree with a character's philosophy and choices" are not connected statements.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I loving love how this character says BLUE SHADOW VIRUS

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
As I've said before, Thrawn is a space phrenologist

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

As I've said before, Thrawn is a space phrenologist

Of course you'd say that, you have the brainpan of stage coach tilter

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Nodosaur posted:

Ziro.

Whoof.

Ziro is awesome, and he was taken from us too soon.
:argh: Now I'll never find out about Solareen. :argh:

Seriously, I always thought Ziro was a great example of a Hutt. He's crass, gaudy, tasteless, depraved, and he absolutely revels in it.
Day-glo tattoos? Check.
Feather headgear? Sure, why not.
Love affair with what is essentialy a singing sack on legs with tusks and a trunk? Might as well.
The guy's fabulous.

Now Momma the Hutt? That was a step too far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Claytor posted:

I saw that there's already been talk about it, but I'm yet another person very confused by the fourth season treating Kanan and Hera as a will-they-won't-they thing when they felt like an established, long-term couple from the first episode on.

I always took Hera and Kanan as that couple who clearly had feelings for each other, were most likely having sex on the regular, but never wanted to commit to "I love you"s or explicitly acknowledging that they were a couple.

So them being open with each other about their feelings was a big step for them, even if nothing was really changing about the way they interacted beyond that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

NowonSA posted:

He's one of my fave Star Wars characters, but even I have to admit he's actively working to promote a fascist regime. The only "good" quality he has is that he tries to minimize civilian casualties. Which to be fair, makes him stand out a lot when standard imperial policy is to take the complete opposite approach.

That mindset of his added a little something extra to the finale for me, Ezra and co. had frustrated Thrawn to the point that he had to lower himself to threatening and killing civilians.

I feel like anytime you see someone sing the praises of Thrawn, myself included, you should keep in mind it's being seen through the lens of someone who really likes the character and at some level is willing to look past or ignore the aspects of the character that make it tough to root for him. In his very first book appearance he orders the death of a guy who screws up tractor beaming in a ship in a real Vader-y way. He tones that down a lot in the latest book, but still he's just plain not a nice guy.

I'll take him over Space Stalin

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wait, people LIKE Ziro? I remember back in the day all anyone talked about was what an uncomfortable stereotype he was.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

wait, people LIKE Ziro? I remember back in the day all anyone talked about was what an uncomfortable stereotype he was.

He's a southern gentleman mob boss, to go along with the nerdy mob boss, the Don Corleone mob boss, and Jabba "into wierd poo poo" the Hutt. He was part of two good episodes, the captures senators and the journal episode, but he was never the highlight of those episodes.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I never got the supposed "gay" vibe everyone was talking about at the time. Then again, I haven't seen the movie Capote and don't know how much of that character supposedly went into Ziro's portrayal. To me his voice always reminded me of an over the top Peter Lorre, with a touch of Futurama's Hedonismbot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ziro was entirely Truman Capote as a mob boss. Voice and mannerisms.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I saw him sort of as the warden from Cool Hand Luke

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thrawn totally came across as "The Empire is a better choice to defeat the terrible things coming from the unknown regions" in thinking. The EU always mentioned there were Imperials who were just officers in the Republic who went "well, that's the government now, okay" and just kept doing their job. I think the only one we really got in New Canon is Yalaren?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yessss, time for Cad Bane.

He's like Boba Fett only his reputation is actually deserved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i always expected bane to show up in rebels i cant believe it never happened

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

site posted:

i always expected bane to show up in rebels i cant believe it never happened

The unproduced episodes of CW were going to have him and Boba duel, and it would have ended the most predictable way possible

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was to explain the dent in Boba's helmet too.

Ugh loving youtube suggested a video called "SJWs are upset at star wars rebels finale" and like gently caress you, youtube and whomever made it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just very remiss at all the "prequel characters have to die for the sake of the OT characters" that seems to be the general mentality. In general Filoni is very good at averting it, but when it comes to Bane being used to prop up a character who's always been a whole lot of nothing like Fett, especially when there's even less reason to assume he had to die than other people, the idea grates a bit.

I mean, Embo's still appearing in stuff, why can't Bane?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He was at least there in spirit when kids were being abducted in Rebels. The creep.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just finished this up. Bold move summoning the Great Old Ones to liberate Lothal

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cad banes I'm literally a cowboy costume is so goofy I can't tell if I'm supposed to take the character seriously. I've never seen tcw

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Cad banes I'm literally a cowboy costume is so goofy I can't tell if I'm supposed to take the character seriously. I've never seen tcw

Star Wars cowboy costumes are always cool, and Cad Bane is like 70% of the reason why.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Good ol' Cad Bane, with so many anti-Jedi pieces of equipment he makes Batman look underprepared

Still, can't ever go wrong with jetboots and a swanky hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

:clint:

• Locked thread