Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Poor Pieke.

Has to do everything herself.

Trying to cover Zeke from the backline so he doesn't get ganked from behind, but Porco abandons her to attack Eren, catching her off guard, and Zeke goes down anyways in that brief moment (and might also have done it deliberately as a traitor).

And then she loses her gunner buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Hate-Senpai posted:

Poor Pieke.

Has to do everything herself.

Trying to cover Zeke from the backline so he doesn't get ganked from behind, but Porco abandons her to attack Eren, catching her off guard, and Zeke goes down anyways in that brief moment (and might also have done it deliberately as a traitor).

And then she loses her gunner buddies.

Good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess you could say that she's in quite the Piekle!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I must say though, one of the named characters needs to be confirmed KIA next chapter or I'll be mad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I won't.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

I must say though, one of the named characters needs to be confirmed KIA next chapter or I'll be mad.

I think it will be acceptable if no one dies but in exchange Zeke is confirmed traitor.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it will be acceptable if no one dies but in exchange Zeke is confirmed traitor.

This, but also kill everyone anyway.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Jean is going to hesitate and get Gabi’d. Cartman will survive, but Jaw’s about to get Mikasa’d.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

JahRoo posted:

Also it's weird that Armin just transformed over in the water, I could've sworn the lights they were setting up were for him to dive bomb into the city and transform bert-style
armin could still throw his own body with the colossal titan into the city if he had the remote control powers of the warhammer

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
This whole episode really feels like Pieck's worse day. She figures out that she's being led to a trap, manages to get out with smart thinking, and then sees the 3D gear and remembers her trauma from Paradise Island. She brings out her trump card, the heavy machine guns, but within a few minutes her partner gets destroyed, her commander gets killed in a moment, her gunners get sniped, her cart gets bombed, and she eats an exploding spear.

It also really shows how the Power of the Titans is starting to falter. Between the three they didn't even manage to kill more than 10 (at least, that I counted) before being defeated, by a group of people who has been technology backwards for a really long time.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Eeepies posted:

This whole episode really feels like Pieck's worse day. She figures out that she's being led to a trap, manages to get out with smart thinking, and then sees the 3D gear and remembers her trauma from Paradise Island. She brings out her trump card, the heavy machine guns, but within a few minutes her partner gets destroyed, her commander gets killed in a moment, her gunners get sniped, her cart gets bombed, and she eats an exploding spear.

It also really shows how the Power of the Titans is starting to falter. Between the three they didn't even manage to kill more than 10 (at least, that I counted) before being defeated, by a group of people who has been technology backwards for a really long time.

On the other hand, that particular group of people were so consistently menaced by Titans that they became -really- good at handling Titans in particular. When you compare their performance against the full Marley Titan team to how the nation shown at the beginning of this arc fared against the Titans, they've done phenomenally better.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's interesting how lovely Titans seem with guns, explosives and knowledge of how shifters work. I think it really shows how the true power of the titans isn't the individual shifters, but the strength of an army of pure titans. The Marley say titan power is becoming obsolete, but it's moreso noone remembers thousands of pure titans strategically destroying a nation. The Paradis army has trained to fight hundreds at a time, 5 is a cakewalk.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Well also potentially Armin just destroyed their entire port and probably a major part of their navy in a few seconds, which illustrates the value of shifters as an effective terrorist weapon.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I thought Armin was Historia at first :(

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

I thought Armin was Historia at first :(

Still wishing it was Erwin.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It matters that the Paradise crew are a hard core of veterans that have faced down titans and shifters under unfavorable conditions. And after Historia's ascension, alot of trained (if inexperienced) 3DMG troops from the interior were freed up to fill in the ranks.

Marley's attack was always half-baked, sending inexperienced and poorly led assets into unknown terrain. It smacks of them having factionalized politics driving towards a number of strategic goals, under an unreasonable timetable. Paradise's strategy is still questionable, but it's clear they committed everything to it, so the operation was carried out in full force with plenty of time to reconnoiter.

Finally, I'm unconvinced Zeke is about to turn. Any plan that requires this many moving parts is a terrible plan: it will disintegrate on contact with the enemy. After all, the Warhammer titan's identity and capabilities were yet unknown, what if the Warhammer was covering Zeke, or what if Jaw hadn't broke discipline, then Levi wouldn't be able to fake Zeke's death. Remember, the panel zoomed in right on Levi's face right as he sliced open Zeke. If he was trying to control his attack, you wouldn't have the expression of fury and commitment on that face. No, Levi was skulking back in reserve, saw an opening, and took the shot, and hit because he is a top tier veteran.

If Zeke had turned, you use him in a different way than this.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sub Harrison posted:

It's interesting how lovely Titans seem with guns, explosives and knowledge of how shifters work.

Well, gotta remember it wasn't until the last 100 years that ballistics and chemical explosives evolved to the point they can reliably deal damage against titans, and until very recently that they can accurately do so over artillery distance.

Even for the walldians, they only just invented the thunder spears a few years ago, and this kind of engagement would be impossible without them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

drat that was some good titan fightin

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

please love truck

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah. As I said, Zeke turning on Marley (and working with Eren) is entirely plausible, with lots of indications to that effect dispersed throughout this arc.

My only doubt is that if he's working with the Walldians, then why is he doing the whole charade with being attacked and seemingly killed by Levi? He could've just turned on his fellow warriors and easily tipped the balance of the fight by taking out Porco or Pieck before they knew what was happening, and grant the scouts and easy victory...

Ah, nevermind, of course. He could also just job the fight, that way the Scouts win and disengage with their objective accomplished (massive damage to Marley's chain of command and military forces, captured the Warhammer Titan), and he gets to stay in his position as an inside man.

That'd be loving brilliant.
Someone left the shifters food, drink, and a toilet down in the well. I bet Zeke intended the warriors not to be apart of this fight, but due to Pieck figuring out the ruse, they, unfortunately, entered the battle when Zeke had intended for them to sit out. He also knows they would fight to the end unlike him since they're not privvy to whatever communications he's had with the Paradisians.

Beefstew posted:

Perhaps I missed something, but can someone explain to me what possible motivation Zeke could have for helping the Paradis folk? He's been practically the main villain for a while now, and although they've significantly humanized him, I'm not sure why he would have a heel-face turn. I think Reiner and Annie are more likely candidates for that.

His entire reason for turning is he knows the Eldians are viewed as expendable, and the world is turning against them. During the meeting with the Warriors in his room (chapter 95, page 15), the frame shifts from him speaking about this to a newspaper when he mentions "the voices calling for the elimination of the Eldians have grown louder and louder" implying there's a lot of people in the world calling for their genocide since they're essentially weapons of massive destruction. Zeke knows their time is limited, and his only allies are the Paradisians at this point since the army is viewing them as expendable relics of the past. At this point, they just want to flat out eliminate the Founding titan instead of capturing it. What's going to stop them from turning on the rest of them? Look at how Willy framed the effect of titans on the world, and how they were used in battle. They killed 3x the world's current population, and they're viewed as weapons of mass destruction.While he's loyal to Marley, his allegiance truly lies with the warriors and Eldians if he's to be believed in chapter 95.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 10, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hell yeah gently caress em up

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

It matters that the Paradise crew are a hard core of veterans that have faced down titans and shifters under unfavorable conditions. And after Historia's ascension, alot of trained (if inexperienced) 3DMG troops from the interior were freed up to fill in the ranks.

Marley's attack was always half-baked, sending inexperienced and poorly led assets into unknown terrain. It smacks of them having factionalized politics driving towards a number of strategic goals, under an unreasonable timetable. Paradise's strategy is still questionable, but it's clear they committed everything to it, so the operation was carried out in full force with plenty of time to reconnoiter.

Finally, I'm unconvinced Zeke is about to turn. Any plan that requires this many moving parts is a terrible plan: it will disintegrate on contact with the enemy. After all, the Warhammer titan's identity and capabilities were yet unknown, what if the Warhammer was covering Zeke, or what if Jaw hadn't broke discipline, then Levi wouldn't be able to fake Zeke's death. Remember, the panel zoomed in right on Levi's face right as he sliced open Zeke. If he was trying to control his attack, you wouldn't have the expression of fury and commitment on that face. No, Levi was skulking back in reserve, saw an opening, and took the shot, and hit because he is a top tier veteran.

If Zeke had turned, you use him in a different way than this.
The Jaw and Cart titans weren't supposed to be there. Their presence wasn't planned for, hence why they set the trap to capture them in the first place, which if you remember only Zeke was led away from

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
fuuuuuuuuck that was the good poo poo

I am still intensely curious what the hell's happening in Paradise. Did they eliminate the titans and reclaim the whole island? Did Eren manage to control them somehow? Are they still walled up? So much of the story before now was about breaking free from the walls and the titans, and they accomplished both, but now we flash forward three years and we still don't know the full effect of their victory. Like, they have complete control of the government of Paradise, they have far greater understanding of how titans work along with the hidden history the royals were covering up, they managed to get into the basement and see the ocean and as readers we get none of that hard fought victory, instead we jump ahead to the next conflict.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it's killing me not knowing what's going on back on the island.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I am still intensely curious what the hell's happening in Paradise. Did they eliminate the titans and reclaim the whole island? Did Eren manage to control them somehow? Are they still walled up?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-090?id=345906#32
The end of the arc leading up to the ocean scene frames it like the titans were no longer a threat on the island and the walls were no longer confining. They also completely destroyed or captured multiple marleyan expeditions to the island which would require being outside the walls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

fuuuuuuuuck that was the good poo poo

I am still intensely curious what the hell's happening in Paradise. Did they eliminate the titans and reclaim the whole island? Did Eren manage to control them somehow? Are they still walled up? So much of the story before now was about breaking free from the walls and the titans, and they accomplished both, but now we flash forward three years and we still don't know the full effect of their victory. Like, they have complete control of the government of Paradise, they have far greater understanding of how titans work along with the hidden history the royals were covering up, they managed to get into the basement and see the ocean and as readers we get none of that hard fought victory, instead we jump ahead to the next conflict.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it's killing me not knowing what's going on back on the island.

They created a giant guillotine to kill all the titans. It turned out that without people intentionally supressing the ways to dealing with Titans they're not that hard to resolve.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that Armin transformed and then we didn't even get to see it this chapter because so much other poo poo was going on

Need a third panel for this:

Chapter 103: *atomic bomb*

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:tviv:

Just a casual reminder that this is the most brutal series there's ever been. My mouth was agape for the entire chapter... Eren's multiple titan moulting technique, Armin's colossal nuke, Zeke and Pieck getting massacred.

I think my favourite thing is Warhammer's stoic reaction panels.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Warhammer is absurdly powerful but I guess it makes sense she ran out of juice really quickly. Normal shifters just have to violate conservation of energy enough to make one giant body.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Two Things:

1) With at least one shifter dead, Marley is going to waste resources scouring the Eldian population for the baby born with the power in attempt to recoup some of their fighting potential. Doubt it will be nice or pretty and it will definitely cause unrest.

2) This comic draws a lot of parallels between ww1 and ww2. I am wondering if we are going to see a parallel between Japan and the United states, with paradis and Marley. The Survey Corps is doing a bang up job, but they are a cadre of hardened vets that are irreplaceable. Notice that everyone is back there pretty much. On a high risk behind enemy lines mission. None have stayed behind and trained the new corps of recruits. Japan had a similar issue where it did fantastic at the start of ww2 due to a better trained pilot corps, but they did not rotate out skilled pilots and put them on training new ones, so they eventually attritioned out. I wonder if Marley and the rest of the world will just use their ability to mass produce to swarm the paradisians.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's been 4 years since the battle at Shiganshina - besides the fact that among the nine survivors all but Hange and Levi were rookies with only a few months experience in the Corps, they've already had plenty of time to prepare/train the new blood.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The training program is well-established, it's not like any of the rookies had important irreplaceable institutional knowledge previous trainers lacked.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Shneak posted:

I think my favourite thing is Warhammer's stoic reaction panels.

She's just so quietly ultra-pissed and I love it

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Kyte posted:

The training program is well-established, it's not like any of the rookies had important irreplaceable institutional knowledge previous trainers lacked.
It also seems like with all the new tech, their training process must be entirely new. The new 3d gear with its variable machine pistol/titan blades seems like it would be a lethal nightmare to learn.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah, they'd now be training with an emphasis on urban combat and using thunder spears and AP3DMG while avoiding return fire.

Also of note, the only people carrying blades are Levi and Mikasa, and Sasha who is on sharpshooter duty so appears to be equipped with older-style 3DMG for freedom of movement reasons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Squidster posted:

It also seems like with all the new tech, their training process must be entirely new. The new 3d gear with its variable machine pistol/titan blades seems like it would be a lethal nightmare to learn.

The training process is not entirely new. Kenny Ackerman and the Military Police he lead were all well trained in anti-personnel 3d-gear.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Didn't they all get owned, though?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rhaka posted:

Didn't they all get owned, though?

Any survivors were all arrested.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Kenny's Squad all got buried while other Interior MPs didn't (some got arrested).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even supposing Kenny's squad was wiped out to a man, there'd certainly still be people connected with them. Between discharged or injured soldiers, cadets who didn't make the grade, and associated support there'd doubtless be enough knowledge around to piece together the basics of spider-man gunmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah, they'd now be training with an emphasis on urban combat and using thunder spears and AP3DMG while avoiding return fire.

Also of note, the only people carrying blades are Levi and Mikasa, and Sasha who is on sharpshooter duty so appears to be equipped with older-style 3DMG for freedom of movement reasons.

Can't wait to Meet the New Meat. I bet that the new generation is a complete 180 from the previous ones and is totally bloodthirsty and all "Yeah, let's slaughter all those foreign sons a bitches and reclaim the earth for REAL humanity! Kill ten Marley for every Paradisian dead! HOOO-HAH!!!"