Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

headcase posted:

I've got that board with those black keycaps. What are your white keys? from another board? I like legible legends.

Get a hhkb set off amazon, Realforce complete sets are stupid expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Artisan coiled cables are the funniest thing to me because it’s almost 100% a visual thing. The coil doesn’t actually behave like an industrially produced coiled cable.

That is incredibly stupid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A lot of people literally just wrap it around a pencil and take a picture before it spins out.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Just out of interest does anyone know if there's usually a big gap between restocking? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2230 I'm looking to get a hold of some of these switches so I can replace them on my board.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My GMK 9009 R2 set finally arrived.

Warning: huge images.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My Godspeed set arrived over the weekend.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

A friend lent me his dev/tty set to check out.

These are an SA profile variant, with thick PBT and dyesub legends. They have a great feel and sound, and the build quality is very nice, but the spherical shape of the caps takes some getting used to. It feels like the surface your fingers actually touch is fairly small with well-defined dished edges compared to other keycap profiles, so you don't really slide around much between keys as you type.
It's not totally evident from the picture but the number row and especially the Esc/F key row are very tall, and the curve is optimized for having a good wrist rest, since it also curves up on the bottom more than usual.

On Kailh Gold stems the keys wiggle laterally quite a bit, especially the taller ones. This sort of profile seems like it would be great on something like the Box switches, if they actually reduce lateral movement like I've heard they do.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

General Specific posted:

A friend lent me his dev/tty set to check out.

These are an SA profile variant, with thick PBT and dyesub legends. They have a great feel and sound, and the build quality is very nice, but the spherical shape of the caps takes some getting used to. It feels like the surface your fingers actually touch is fairly small with well-defined dished edges compared to other keycap profiles, so you don't really slide around much between keys as you type.
It's not totally evident from the picture but the number row and especially the Esc/F key row are very tall, and the curve is optimized for having a good wrist rest, since it also curves up on the bottom more than usual.

On Kailh Gold stems the keys wiggle laterally quite a bit, especially the taller ones. This sort of profile seems like it would be great on something like the Box switches, if they actually reduce lateral movement like I've heard they do.

Typing on these right now, on a New Poker II with Blues. There's definitely wiggle, but not more than with the stock caps for the Poker, afaict. I have a White Fox coming with the new Hako True switches, which are Box variants, so it will be interesting to compare. (They'll also let me experience the vertiginous heights of the function keys.)

Worth noting: If you don't like the curve on the bottom, the set also contains duplicate keys for the bottom row with a flatter profile.

When I first got the set, I put the space bar on backwards by accident. I left it like that for a while and may switch it back, it felt surprisingly nice to have a space bar that curved down sharply.

This is my first aftermarket keycap set, and it's pretty much spoiled me for the old caps on the Poker II, which are much thinner PBT. I'm tempted to pick up another copy of dev/tty, the drop is open again. I'm mostly likely going to wait for financial reasons, though. In my perfect world there's be another run of Dasher and I could pick those up and have two different retromod keyboards at home and at work.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

pgroce posted:

Typing on these right now, on a New Poker II with Blues. There's definitely wiggle, but not more than with the stock caps for the Poker, afaict. I have a White Fox coming with the new Hako True switches, which are Box variants, so it will be interesting to compare. (They'll also let me experience the vertiginous heights of the function keys.)

Worth noting: If you don't like the curve on the bottom, the set also contains duplicate keys for the bottom row with a flatter profile.

When I first got the set, I put the space bar on backwards by accident. I left it like that for a while and may switch it back, it felt surprisingly nice to have a space bar that curved down sharply.

This is my first aftermarket keycap set, and it's pretty much spoiled me for the old caps on the Poker II, which are much thinner PBT. I'm tempted to pick up another copy of dev/tty, the drop is open again. I'm mostly likely going to wait for financial reasons, though. In my perfect world there's be another run of Dasher and I could pick those up and have two different retromod keyboards at home and at work.

Yeah, the wiggle isn't anything particular to these caps. It's just as noticeable as I expected with regular MX stems and taller than normal caps. I find it a bit crazy that these are both PBT and a nonstandard custom mold, and they're still cheaper than the proliferation of $150 ABS sets. I've been contemplating joining the second drop of these to build an Ergodox with them.

e. Hopefully they've got production sorted out and this drop won't take half a year to deliver.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

General Specific posted:

Yeah, the wiggle isn't anything particular to these caps. It's just as noticeable as I expected with regular MX stems and taller than normal caps. I find it a bit crazy that these are both PBT and a nonstandard custom mold, and they're still cheaper than the proliferation of $150 ABS sets. I've been contemplating joining the second drop of these to build an Ergodox with them.

e. Hopefully they've got production sorted out and this drop won't take half a year to deliver.

I have a set of these (TKL with color mods) and they are just so not my steeze. I’m about to start looking to offload them. Figured I’d mention it if you want to take them off my hands.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Speaking of /dev/tty, they've added an Elven kit to the current drop.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Speaking of /dev/tty, they've added an Elven kit to the current drop.

I'd really love to get a set but there's just no way to make this fit on a 40% like an AMJ40 or a minivan.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
It's that time again, when I have an aging rubber dome keyboard I bought for $10 and briefly consider, then turn away from, mechanical keyboards.

I am hoping for a recommendation, let me know if I can provide anything else. Requirements:
  • Full 104-key layout. Media/volume keys are a plus, I wouldn't mind losing the nav cluster for this need.
  • Quiet as heck. I often play games while the wife is asleep in the same room.
  • I like the tactile bump of rubber domes. I could see going MX Clears, but need help figuring out how bad o-rings would be on them (see above point). Are topres quiet?
  • No fancy gamer fonts. The more refined the keycap design, the better (the G413 Carbon is the holy grail for me here)
  • I don't particularly care about backlighting, but it would be a plus.
  • USB.

Mostly, I am surprised that I cannot find a reliable study of how loud an average rubber dome is compared to different types of switches.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 7, 2018

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Topre.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

f#a# posted:

Mostly, I am surprised that I cannot find a reliable study of how loud an average rubber dome is compared to different types of switches.

Not perfect, but https://www.pcworld.com/article/242037/mechanical_keyboard_faq_pick_the_right_switch.html has a chart of some various options. The short answer is that a rubber dome is almost definitely going to be quieter across the board than any mechanical. Silent Reds are probably the next lowest, followed by other linears, then tactiles, then clicky. I'd expect (though can't find evidence) that Topre sits just below Silent Red. O-Rings don't actually quiet down keypresses significantly, they just make it harder to bottom out, which can help noise levels if you're typing rapidly or hard.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

f#a# posted:

It's that time again, when I have an aging rubber dome keyboard I bought for $10 and briefly consider, then turn away from, mechanical keyboards.

I am hoping for a recommendation, let me know if I can provide anything else. Requirements:
  • Full 104-key layout. Media/volume keys are a plus, I wouldn't mind losing the nav cluster for this need.
  • Quiet as heck. I often play games while the wife is asleep in the same room.
  • I like the tactile bump of rubber domes. I could see going MX Clears, but need help figuring out how bad o-rings would be on them (see above point). Are topres quiet?
  • No fancy gamer fonts. The more refined the keycap design, the better (the G413 Carbon is the holy grail for me here)
  • I don't particularly care about backlighting, but it would be a plus.
  • USB.

I can't speak to how loud it is but I feel like the Code keyboard fulfills the rest of your requirements. https://codekeyboards.com/

Also I put o-rings on my clears and they don't do anything because I'm never bottoming out, and almost all the noise comes from stabilizers and the upstroke of the keys. On browns it had a more substantial effect because I bottom those out more frequently.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 7, 2018

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
If you prefer the feel of rubber domes then get a rubber dome. You get the thing you like and save money to boot!

A coworker bought a Unicomp, and it was both quieter and less tactile than I remember buckling springs being. Great action, and ridiculously solid (talking about keyfeel here, the chassis is obviously a tank), but I was expecting more ping and a stronger snap when the spring buckled. I guess using Blues on a daily basis has warped my expectations?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pgroce posted:

I guess using Blues on a daily basis has warped my expectations?

Yes, this is what happened

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I wish I had found this thread earlier; I've been in the market for a new keyboard for my Work From Home setup for awhile, and was looking for something like this.

Unfortunately, I'm apparently dumb and didn't find the thread in time.

This weekend, I wandered into Best Buy with two goals in a keyboard: Cherry MX Blues, and a good wristrest.

Unfortunately, the only thing I could find that came anywhere close to this was a Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with Razer Green switches in it. While it feels great to type on, there are a couple things that I really don't care for about it: 1). The alt command isn't backlit and 2). I can't choose a solid backlight color without the Synapse software, and since it's a Work From Home setup, I'm sure I'd get a handslap for having that software on the machine during a random IT sweep.

I'm liking the look of that Code keyboard above, but that still leaves the issue of a wristrest. I didn't see anything about them in the OP; are there any that are considered excellent? I've had some of the gel-style ones in the past, but those never felt even as good as an attached plastic one, to me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like this memory foam one, it's got just a little bit of give but it's not squishy like a gel wrist rest. I've had one for about five years and with a little wiping down now and then it's remained in good shape:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E8T4BO/

A lot of mechanical keyboard folks like hard wrist rests so there's a lot of wood ones around:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...d=2CSPUO10MSEO6

Check sizes before you order, a lot of them are for smaller keyboards. There's probably a lot of besoke artisinal ones available on custom keyboard shops but I've never bought one so I don't have a specific recommendation.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I like the Grifiti fat wrist pads: http://www.grifiti.com/index.php/ergonomics/fat-wrist-pads.html

Get the 17 x 4 for a fullsize keyboard or the 14 x 4 for a tenkeyless.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I bought a no-name wooden one from Amazon and love the hell out of it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XL13QD9/

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I kickstarted a Das Keyboard 5Q two years ago and I've finally made peace with the fact that I'll either never get it or when it shows up it'll be basically unusable, and I'm really really tired of working on this $20 amazon membrane keyboard.

I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat and I love putting lights in everything, so I'm looking for a controllable LED keyboard, with either browns or blues. So far I'm seeing the Ducky Shine 6 and the Corsair K95 look like they fit my needs. What else is out there in the world of controllable RGB board that aren't awful?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Got my Cartel Contra. As far as custom things go, it's a pretty good kit for $30. It includes everything except switches and caps. If you don't mind soldering it's an easy build and quite a bit cheaper than a planck.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Sockser posted:

What else is out there in the world of controllable RGB board that aren't awful?

The GMMK is solidly not-awful, and in addition to several baked-in lighting modes and animations has per-switch RGB control with their fairly intuitive software. It can also hot-swap the switches without soldering in case you find yourself diving down the rabbit hole of MX-style switches mike sickler is the one who was promised and may he usher in a new kingdom under the novelkeys banner

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro as well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I like the Grifiti fat wrist pads: http://www.grifiti.com/index.php/ergonomics/fat-wrist-pads.html

Get the 17 x 4 for a fullsize keyboard or the 14 x 4 for a tenkeyless.

Thanks! I have one of these on order now! Not sure how long it'll take to get here, though.

That means I also pulled the trigger on a CODE keyboard this afternoon. I thought long and hard about it, and finally settled on Cherry MX Green switches. I'm sure I'll love 'em; even the Razer Greens didn't seem as ... robust? ... as the keys that were in my first computer's keyboard (an Acer Aspire from 1998).

Sorry about returning a product after a day and a half, Best Buy :(

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Razer Green is supposed to be a Cherry MX Blue clone. Not sure if you made the Cherry Green choice based on how the Razer Green feels. They're quite a bit heavier, but you may end up liking it better.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

G-Prime posted:

I bought a no-name wooden one from Amazon and love the hell out of it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XL13QD9/

I got one of these in a massdrop like a year or two ago. Really like the Ugyen wood, looks nice.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

wrist rest chat: just buy this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WU4H5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not too hard, not too soft.. just right

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Constellation I posted:

Razer Green is supposed to be a Cherry MX Blue clone. Not sure if you made the Cherry Green choice based on how the Razer Green feels. They're quite a bit heavier, but you may end up liking it better.

Ah, yeah, I'm aware that the Razer Green = Cherry MX Blue.

They were nice, but not as stiff as I had expected them to be, which is why I decided to roll the dice on the Cherry MX Greens.

Regardless, I'll be upgrading from a membrane keyboard that's so old (and has had stuff spilled in it, and then taken apart, and cleaned, which somehow feels like it caused the membrane to toughen up and be even more unresponsive) that I'm sure it'll still feel like magic.

I tried last night to figure out what the keyboard for a 1998 Acer Aspire had for switches, but all I kept getting were results for laptops. I just recall that keyboard being punchy as hell and loud enough to wake the dead.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Zarin posted:

I tried last night to figure out what the keyboard for a 1998 Acer Aspire had for switches, but all I kept getting were results for laptops. I just recall that keyboard being punchy as hell and loud enough to wake the dead.

Could it have been one of these keyboards? If so, looks like they used a proprietary spring-over-membrane switch.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Like Scrabble?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hasbro-xda-scrabble-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

I personally find this set very thoughtfully designed and delightful. Guess I'm gonna end up being one of those weirdo keycap collectors...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's really loving awesome. I'm still holding out for that elusive Race3-compatible set though. (After accumulating a bunch of random sets)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Could it have been one of these keyboards? If so, looks like they used a proprietary spring-over-membrane switch.

Oh, interesting!

It was absolutely this one: https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Acer_6312-HW_--_top.jpg

It's a shame; I think I got rid of it a few years back. Oh well.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Like Scrabble?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hasbro-xda-scrabble-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

I personally find this set very thoughtfully designed and delightful. Guess I'm gonna end up being one of those weirdo keycap collectors...
This is a genius idea for a set although I do wonder how the shift symbols on the number row will come out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Recommend me a keyboard!
  • Mechanical
  • RGB
  • Keypad
  • I don't want to build it myself
  • <$200 USD
  • On-board profile (i.e. I don't want the light color to change just because I switched which computer is connected).
Past keyboards, in case it's helpful
Asus Strix Tactic Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches which I liked a lot, but the left control key began sticking, the backlight was starting to fade, and I got sick of the color orange.

Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with Green switches (roughly equivalent to Cherry MX Reds). I like the tactile "bump" (similar to above), but the over-the-top clickiness is driving me nuts. The spacebar "thump" is particularly grating. Also, the RGB defaults to factory settings whenever I use a KVM because settings aren't saved on the keyboard but in Razer's software. The Asus keyboard actually stored all of its macros and profiles on-board, which was nice.

I'd consider one of the newer Asus keyboards but for the stupid :byodood: Republic of Gamers :byodood: on the spacebar. If that's the best option I'd live with it, but figured someone here might have better options.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with Green switches (roughly equivalent to Cherry MX Reds). I like the tactile "bump" (similar to above), but the over-the-top clickiness is driving me nuts. The spacebar "thump" is particularly grating. Also, the RGB defaults to factory settings whenever I use a KVM because settings aren't saved on the keyboard but in Razer's software. The Asus keyboard actually stored all of its macros and profiles on-board, which was nice.
Maybe one of Cooler Master's RGB keyboards since they advertise not needing software http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/masterkeys-pro-l/

I don't have the RGB version though so I can't speak to the quality of the RGB customization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Recommend me a keyboard!
  • Mechanical
  • RGB
  • Keypad
  • I don't want to build it myself
  • <$200 USD
  • On-board profile (i.e. I don't want the light color to change just because I switched which computer is connected).
Past keyboards, in case it's helpful
Asus Strix Tactic Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches which I liked a lot, but the left control key began sticking, the backlight was starting to fade, and I got sick of the color orange.

I'd consider one of the newer Asus keyboards but for the stupid :byodood: Republic of Gamers :byodood: on the spacebar. If that's the best option I'd live with it, but figured someone here might have better options.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

You want clear switches by the way.