Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
*curls tongue around unfamiliar words*

Jack Watts....six... goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

*curls tongue around unfamiliar words*

Jack Watts....six... goals?

If he’d managed to do that in his first ten years Goodwin might not have exiled him to the colonies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The weird thing is that there are heaps of people with well thought out football opinions out there but they have Sam Newman and Eddie McGuire on there

The Footy Show isn't about well thought out football opinions though. It hasn't been for a long time.

And I think one of the reasons they won't ever let it die, is to let it die is to admit defeat. To admit that Newman and McGuires brand of blokey matey misogyny and buffoonery has had it's day. The people at Channel 9, (and Eddie and Sam in particular), will never want to admit that until the bitter end. So when it does die, (becauase of lack of ratings = lack of profitability), the few people/mouthbreathers left watching will blame PC culture and the bloody gay muslim foreign reffo sheilas for killing it, when it has been dead and irrellevant for at least 4-5 years.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Footy Show isn't about well thought out football opinions though. It hasn't been for a long time.

And I think one of the reasons they won't ever let it die, is to let it die is to admit defeat. To admit that Newman and McGuires brand of blokey matey misogyny and buffoonery has had it's day. The people at Channel 9, (and Eddie and Sam in particular), will never want to admit that until the bitter end. So when it does die, (becauase of lack of ratings = lack of profitability), the few people/mouthbreathers left watching will blame PC culture and the bloody gay muslim foreign reffo sheilas for killing it, when it has been dead and irrellevant for at least 4-5 years.

Actually I think you'll find the reason for the low ratings is Rebecca Maddern, at least that's according to facebook comments on footy show articles...

Its really grasping at straws that they think that is the reason. I hope Mddern moves on from the show soon to do something better and give these fuckwads less and less excuses to blame its failure on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

She worked the wind on that kick beautifully

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

this male commentator is maybe the worst I've ever heard

His name is Basil Zemplais he's been commentating for years

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Naitanui had a good hit out at East Perth today. Maybe my fears of a write-off season for West Coast are unfounded...?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The end of this AFLW season is so much more interesting than last season.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Demons are guaranteed to lose to Carlton tomorrow

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Demons are guaranteed to lose to Carlton tomorrow

agreed

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hopefully, then round 6 can be known as chaos round.

Also, we beat the hawks again! 2 in a row!

We scored over 100 in a shorter than normal game! yaaay!

Carlton 2018 premiership confirmed

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The weird thing is that there are heaps of people with well thought out football opinions out there but they have Sam Newman and Eddie McGuire on there

Has it ever been about well though out football opinions? If that's what you're after the pregame stuff on ABC Grandstand is all you need.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Serious footy stats people might be interested in this article: http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/Pv3bEcp6EQMnPAa24cuP/full

Abstract:

quote:

This study investigated the validity of the official Australian Football League Player Ratings system. It also aimed to determine the extent to which the distribution of points across the 13 rating subcategories could explain Australian Football League match outcome. Ratings were obtained for each player from Australian Football League matches played during the 2013–2016 seasons, along with the corresponding match outcome (Win/Loss and score margin). The values for each of the 13 subcategories that comprise the ratings were also obtained for the 2016 season. Total team rating scores were derived as an objective team outcome for each match. Percentage agreement and Pearson correlational analyses revealed that winning teams displayed a higher total team rating in 94.2% of matches and an association of r = 0.96 (95% confidence interval = 0.95–0.96) between match score margin and total team rating differential, respectively. A Partial Decision Tree (PART) analysis resulted in seven rules capable of determining the extent to which relative contributions of rating subcategories explain Win/Loss at an accuracy of 79.3%. These models support the validity of the Australian Football League Player Ratings system and its use as a pertinent system for objective player analyses in the Australian Football League

Not that I understand any of it but the first and last sentences. :shrug:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Hopefully, then round 6 can be known as chaos round.

Also, we beat the hawks again! 2 in a row!

We scored over 100 in a shorter than normal game! yaaay!

Carlton 2018 premiership confirmed

JLT games were all standard length .

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Really I thought they said time on only counted after 15mins, like the aflw.

Either way, whatever. enjoy your ten years of defeat hawks

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Really I thought they said time on only counted after 15mins, like the aflw.

Either way, whatever. enjoy your ten years of defeat hawks

:mmmsmug:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Footy.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Blues might want to tag O'Dea

I mean it's not exactly news she's one of our best players

I like the orange socks on the carton strip though, looks good

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

:stare:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I know commentators have got to try and find a story but I really don’t see how percentage matters for poo poo. If we win this, then we either beat the dogs next week and are clearly in, or lose and drop behind at least one of Adelaide and GWS

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Shocking first quarter from us. Yes, lets move harris to the midfield... as soon as she went back forward in q2 she kicks a goal in 30 seconds.

We traded instead of drafted and now all the new talent will go to geelong and north. We could have had Conti if we didn't trade for nicola stevens who hasn't shown up this season. Sure losing davey has made it harder for all the other players but we've been lacking basic footy skills like short kicks and marking.

Oh well at least our mens team looks promising this year... untill cripps gets injured early again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol the umpire calls play on on the kick in and then gives a 50m penalty for encroaching, really high quality officiating imo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Carltons defending has been atrocious

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

That's an ACL

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ah gently caress me Hickey is dead

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Umps giving melbourne a free ride. A few goals from frees this match and the exact same things (holding off the ball) are not being paid the other way.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I wouldn't mind seeing e: Kate Hore getting a run through the midfield

I also wonder how Meg Downie would go as forward, she's a great reader of the ball and super quick over the ground

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 11, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That was a clear as day mark by kennedy at the top of the goal square and the ump turns it over to the dees.

Shithouse umpiring.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

That was a clear as day mark by kennedy at the top of the goal square and the ump turns it over to the dees.

Shithouse umpiring.

If it’s the one I remember both players grabbed it at the same time with Kennedy obviously being behind the Melbourne player

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol apparently channel 7 are considering giving Hird a commentary gig :fuckoff:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

I know commentators have got to try and find a story but I really don’t see how percentage matters for poo poo. If we win this, then we either beat the dogs next week and are clearly in, or lose and drop behind at least one of Adelaide and GWS

If Adelaide and GWS both lose, Brisbane will probably be behind the loser of Melbourne/WB on percentage.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chairchucker posted:

If Adelaide and GWS both lose, Brisbane will probably be behind the loser of Melbourne/WB on percentage.

I think it would be cool to have a dogs dees final imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'll be cheering on Brisbane next Friday

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I agree with both of you. If Crows can't win again, Dees/Bulldogs is a good option.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Highlight of today's match. Leaving my keys on the seat next to me on the heroes stand so I had to go back up there just as I realised I left them behind while crossing royal parade.

Pulling out of the Zoo carpark and lauren brazzale driving lauren arnell, darcy vescio and another player home behind me, they pulled up beside me waiting for the tram to cross macathur road and I gave them a wave.

I mean, I said hi to two of them at half time when they were coming out of the admin building but hey...

Anyway, waiting 2019 and I guess the vflw season this year, see if out new team is more of a trainee team or if they'll try to get some of our aflw players to jump club.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Adam Simpson will be out of a job soon if today is any indication of his game plans.

There wasn't one.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now Goldsack has done an acl =\

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Collingwood are cooked.

Demons confirmed Mel Hickey did her ACL yesterday

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So, I have gone and bought an international watch AFL season pass, and have donated it to one of the pubs here.

This is so I will have somewhere to watch the football, and also so I won't have to do what I did last year, and watch the GF alone on my laptop in my office at school.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time, and it worked OK, and was only a little bit spotty at times though. But the $149 US is a small price to pay for bringing footy to Fuzhou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Send an email to Port and see if they will reimburse you