Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Burkion posted:

I do wish more companions reacted like the Brig did when he first saw the inside of the TARDIS

Namely annoyance and indifference. Of course this is happening. It's likely something the Doctor did just to pick at him

I loved Benton's response earlier in the same story, when he's looking around and the Doctor bemusedly says "aren't you going to say it's bigger on the inside than the outside?" To which Benton replies "well that's obvious, besides nothing to do with you surprises me any more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

Not even five minutes with his future selves and War was already done with the both of them

"What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?"

He's adorable

He was an adorable old man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I liked that he was painted as the voice of Classic Who, talking to the spirit of New Who, with its pair of naughty schoolboy Doctors.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

Rewatched Day of the Doctor, and drat, do I love John Hurt.

I love Hurt's version.
Am not a hardcore fan, is there any canon on how long did this regeneration lived? As he was young when he first appeared in the mini ep.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

happyhippy posted:

I love Hurt's version.
Am not a hardcore fan, is there any canon on how long did this regeneration lived? As he was young when he first appeared in the mini ep.

None, really, and it would be impossible to tell due to the temporal mindfuck nature of the Time War. In all honesty, we don't really know how long any of the Doctor's regenerations lasted.

EDIT: ok, we know Eleven was on Trenzalore for 900 years, and by the end of that he looked a fair bit older than the War Doctor, but he also travelled for another 200 years without apparently aging any between seasons 5 and 6, so you could probably say Eleven's incarnation lasted roughly 1200 years, probably a little more.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't someone work up an infographic with a pretty good guess?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering the Doctor's inconsistency with age (having de-aged between 7 and 9), it's pretty hard to say how long the War Doctor lived.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also the Doctor likely doesn't even remember how old he is.

He jumped a few centuries or so during the Fourth Doctor's era from the Third and was somewhere north of 2000 by Seven, and then dropped back down to just 2000 for Nine

Chances are the Doctor is way, WAY older than he even thinks just because of time poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how 10 throws 11 under the bus too.

11: It's all a bit... timey-wimey....
War: TIMEY-WIMEY!?! :mad:
10: ...I don't know where he gets that stuff from.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"How old are you?"
"Ah, I don't know. I lose track. Twelve hundred and something, I think. Unless I'm lying. I can't remember if I'm lying about my age, that's how old I am."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

He jumped a few centuries or so during the Fourth Doctor's era from the Third and was somewhere north of 2000 by Seven, and then dropped back down to just 2000 for Nine

Chances are the Doctor is way, WAY older than he even thinks just because of time poo poo

Time of the Rani gives us an age of 953 years old for both him and the Rani, and then 900 when Nine rolled around,

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Doctor is clearly 4.5 billion years old. :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

The Doctor is clearly 4.5 billion years old. :colbert:

His corpses are.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I love how 10 throws 11 under the bus too.

11: It's all a bit... timey-wimey....
War: TIMEY-WIMEY!?! :mad:
10: ...I don't know where he gets that stuff from.

It helps that Tennant almost breaking for that line makes it seem even more like he's thumbing his nose at his big brother.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Christopher Eccleston did an interview with the Observer, and gave some marginally-less-cryptic-than-before hints about what happened with the BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/mar/11/christopher-eccleston-macbeths-very-insecure-about-his-masculinity-i-am-most-men-are

quote:

When he left Doctor Who after the first series of the revived show, his decision was greeted with speculation and ultimately hostility, much of it exacerbated, says Eccleston, by the BBC’s mishandling of the situation.

“What happened around Doctor Who almost destroyed my career,” he says. “I gave them a hit show and I left with dignity and then they put me on a blacklist. I was carrying my own insecurities as it was something I had never done before and then I was abandoned, vilified in the tabloid press and blacklisted. I was told by my agent at the time: ‘The BBC regime is against you. You’re going to have to get out of the country and wait for regime change.’ So I went away to America and I kept on working because that’s what my parents instilled in me.

He'll be starring in Macbeth with the Royal Shakespeare Company from Tuesday.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Christopher Eccleston did an interview with the Observer, and gave some marginally-less-cryptic-than-before hints about what happened with the BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/mar/11/christopher-eccleston-macbeths-very-insecure-about-his-masculinity-i-am-most-men-are

:(

That really sucks. No wonder he's been so hesitant to return. Hopefully with another couple of years, he'll have some time and the inclination to do a story or two with Big Finish. From every account, they're welcoming and fun enough to work with that maybe it would rehabilitate the experience enough for him. He's been nice enough about wishing others (and the show) well, while tastefully expressing some of the legitimate reasons he had to leave the show and hold some ill will. Whatever he decides, it's fine. If he wants to avoid conventions and merchandising and just about anything associated with the show, then nobody can blame him, and it isn't like he's been throwing people under the bus, even though this basically changed the course of his life.

Every interview I have seen with him makes him seem like good people. That this happened to him is a shame.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Time of the Rani gives us an age of 953 years old for both him and the Rani, and then 900 when Nine rolled around,

I seem to recall 750 as canon for One, which roughly got us to the 953 for Seven.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

On the bonus features for the Ninth Doctor Chronicles, BF said they asked him, and while he turned them down, they said he said that he's leaving the door open for the future. So at least he's not against it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, everything I've read suggests Ecclestone is about the nicest guy you could meet but he takes his integrity seriously and doesn't put up with poo poo or what he considers bullying.

I do hope he returns to the show in some form one day, but it's not like he's ever going to be hurting for work.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 12, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We can still get a Four Doctors story with him, i have faith. Oh to see him and Capaldi play off each other and trade insults about ears and eyebrows.

I reall need 9-12 in a room being rude to each othet and Thirteen takes charge and puts them in their places. Please BBC and Jesus, make something happen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
I remember reading an interview with Sophie Aldred, where she said she met Eccleston once, while taking her kid for a stroll. She said at first he thought she was just another fan, and was polite to her, but once he learned she'd played Ace in the classic series, he instantly opened up and was super friendly, asking her questions about her time on the show and such. She said she tried to convince him to do conventions, telling him how fun they were, but he said it just wasn't his thing. But at least it sounded like he was genuinely thrilled to meet someone from the original run of the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, Ken Dodd has died.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, right now, it seems like he's just trying to keep his distance from it all, and I know 13 years seems like a long time, but like, think about if something had hosed up your career enough that you had to move. Even if you were doing okay, and even it had been 13 years, and even if everyone asking you to come back for a bit was a new crowd of really nice people that you kind of liked, you can see how you'd say "Maybe another time. It's too soon yet."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm sure Chibnall has an "In case of Eccleston, break glass" script planned. If not, he's a fool!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Burkion posted:

Well I imagine it gets rather difficult to keep track of time. What is a day, really, let alone a year, when you're travelling through time and space? I guess the TARDIS might have a "clock" or something, but considering it's been blown up, and the universe has been reset a view times, I'd doubt it's accurate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should just cut him open and count his rings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They should just cut him open and count his rings.

One

Two

Three

Fo- oh. back to three.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
My personal theory is that after all the time-loop/amnesia shenanigans 8 went through, after he regenerated into War he just went 'gently caress it, I'm going to start from 0 again'.

Also, he's probably not counting 'Earth' years. At least not every time. So who the gently caress knows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like just going from what we know from Time Lords and the Doctor himself

He had to of been the War Doctor for at least 500-ish years. That's about how long it takes, minimum, for the Doctor to go from a young body to a notably old one

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sure I saw "he was the War Doctor for about a century" written down somewhere at some point, but I could have imagined it and gently caress knows if that even means anything anyway.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Given the lifespan of the universe, 500 or 900 years is 'about' a century. An itty bitty grain of a moment that blends in with the rest of the sand in the hourglass.

IIRC, River at least considered ageing backwards, which means it's possible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

According to Day of the Doctor, it's 400 years between the War Doctor at the end of his life, and 11 where he is now.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

My personal theory is that after all the time-loop/amnesia shenanigans 8 went through, after he regenerated into War he just went 'gently caress it, I'm going to start from 0 again'.

I mean, he did just literally die in the spaceship crash, and was brought back by the Sisterhood. :thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I had a hankering to watch the bit in The Impossible Astronaut where 11 is angry with his companions for lying to him, and just instantly drops the rubbery living cartoon bit for a moment. Suddenly seeing the hyper-intelligent immortal being underneath the comedy shell he portrays is surprisingly terrifying.

Just the first minute here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOcMeuVQoTU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because Matt Smith is the best.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have always been consistent in who my favorite Doctor is, from when I started watching the series until today.

It's whichever one I've seen most recently.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

I have always been consistent in who my favorite Doctor is, from when I started watching the series until today.

It's whichever one I've seen most recently.

I can't understand how you could be so mistaken.

It should be whichever one you're about to watch/listen to next. :eng101:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just read a thing about Ecclestone, whining about how Doctor Who nearly killed his career, and how miserable he was making GI Joe and Thor.

I really hate that I became a fan during his season, and that he's "My Doctor." He's so loving joyless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GORDON posted:

I just read a thing about Ecclestone, whining about how Doctor Who nearly killed his career, and how miserable he was making GI Joe and Thor.

I really hate that I became a fan during his season, and that he's "My Doctor." He's so loving joyless.

Yyyyyyikes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GORDON posted:

Yeah, a commentator on IO9 (stopped clock, but still), said something like "you know, maybe when you have a problem with all these horrible jobs, the problem isn't them". I mean, he is doing this work, he's signing up for it, and then he just slags it as horrible after the fact. And we're not talking B-Movie schlock here, but multi-million dollar blockbusters that a lot of his fans went to see, and paid for. I'm less pissed about the Who stuff, than I am the GI Joe/Thor comments, and I didn't even see those movies. It just strikes me as very unprofessional and contemptuous of the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

• Locked thread