Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

that product sounds like a ripoff and a racket

guese what: the whole world is a racket

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

that product sounds like a ripoff and a racket

alternately: it is a reasonable strategy to build a product/feature after you have identified a customer who is willing to pay for its development

however this doesn't excuse the sales team apparently running the company

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

marketing genius: selling a product which does not exist, solely to determine if there is a market for it

if people actually respond to the press release then we have a hit!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Progressive JPEG posted:

alternately: it is a reasonable strategy to build a product/feature after you have identified a customer who is willing to pay for its development

however this doesn't excuse the sales team apparently running the company

What should happen is, sales team identify X dollars in sales if we can do a thing, they then go to a product manager who can give some estimates after speaking to the actual devs. Instead of "company has money in May, they will only buy with X feature, let's lock that feature in and then blame development if the deadline is unrealistic".

The problem in this company is the product manager neither understands software development nor consults the developers who will actually be making the thing.

qhat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 12, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

all pm’s are garbage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

What should happen is, sales team identify X dollars in sales if we can do a thing, they then go to a product manager who can give some estimates after speaking to the actual devs. Instead of "company has money in May, they will only buy with X feature, let's lock that feature in and then blame development if the deadline is unrealistic".

The problem in this company is the product manager neither understands software development nor consults the developers who will actually be making the thing.

product management is there to take the heat away from the dev team - they're really managing to shift the blame onto the devs?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

product management is there to take the heat away from the dev team - they're really managing to shift the blame onto the devs?

There's only one guy above the pm; the CEO. And they are both long time friends. So the buck never seems to stop at the PM.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

fairly sure international migration is involves more paperwork than a 1040

My dude I just spent seven years of my life earning residency in your garbage country

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why I did it either

Anyway I'm sticking around for a while sorry

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
We have our senior leadership still trying to set deadlines despite the fact we now have PO/PMs for that role.

I had to have a fun conversation last week about "no we can't hit your arbitrary deadline in quarter 2. You've been overworking one of my Devs for two years now. He will quit and I will follow". The bonus was they offered to give us the QA resources we needed because they previously took all of our QA away in the half aborted reorg going on. This project is needed for everything they have going on and I've been complaining about us having no qa in my reports for three months now.

I don't consider myself great at my job, but it's mind-blowing how bad some people can be at it and be completely oblivious to the fact.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

marketing genius: selling a product which does not exist, solely to determine if there is a market for it
there's a right way to do this, which is not the way that your typical SV venture does it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

:agreed:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Our PO used to be a computer engineer and we only have beta customers right now but I have no delusions that once we officially release and migrate customers from our old software this gravy train of people who understand the "D" part of "NPD" being in charge will be coming to an end.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my last boss was soo good. for every feature request ever his first response was flat no. if a second request comes in for that feature he asked for a detailed spec before giving an estimate.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

my last boss was soo good. for every feature request ever his first response was flat no. if a second request comes in for that feature he asked for a detailed spec before giving an estimate.

This is a real pro tip. If anyone wants you to do something, request that they do another tiny reasonable thing to get the ball rolling and watch how you never hear from them again.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

This is a real pro tip. If anyone wants you to do something, request that they do another tiny reasonable thing to get the ball rolling and watch how you never hear from them again.

i can’t find the nodding emoticon so this will have to do
:megadeath:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

:bisonyes:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

hahah this owns

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

on the other hand i can just see someone being like "what the gently caress do you mean you want ME to do something, i tell you what i want and you make it loving happen, now do it"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

on the other hand i can just see someone being like "what the gently caress do you mean you want ME to do something, i tell you what i want and you make it loving happen, now do it"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Feature requests go through the dev team's PM, whose job it is to act as a bullshit shield for whatever navel gazing crap other people in the org suddenly decided that they desperately needed about five seconds ago while sitting at their desk playing with their balls

If you don't have a bullshit shield and it's open season on devs then yeah god help you because you'll get all sorts of random crap requests all day long and your manager will be copied on every single one

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
stories like this make me glad that my company has a decent project management structure where my boss basically says, "we have X hours for dev during this sprint" and the PMs can fight over who gets what. PM has a pet project they want to advance? okay, we can do that, what projects do you want to deprioritize to make that happen? takes the pressure off of devs to work overtime.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

... why do people live in New York?

why would you want to live anywhere else? 🤔

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

After growing up in London I'm completely done with huge cities. I personally would not consider anywhere like that as a serious relocation option.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's full of new yorkers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

After growing up in London I'm completely done with huge cities. I personally would not consider anywhere like that as a serious relocation option.

i probably wouldnt live in a large city again like literally in the middle of manhattan (im looking to move out of boston itself right now), but most dev jobs are in large cities e.g. boston so commuting into them is pretty much my best bet

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

i probably wouldnt live in a large city again like literally in the middle of manhattan (im looking to move out of boston itself right now), but most dev jobs are in large cities e.g. boston so commuting into them is pretty much my best bet

When I say huge cities, I'm referring to cities with like 8+ million people. I'd sooner move to anywhere on the west coast than NYC. In fact I'd probably move to Minnesota before I move to NYC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

it's full of new yorkers

i guess you could live in New Jersey or Connecticut

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

When I say huge cities, I'm referring to cities with like 8+ million people. I'd sooner move to anywhere on the west coast than NYC. In fact I'd probably move to Minnesota before I move to NYC.

oh huh, apparently boston has ~650k ppl in it

thats less than i thought. wouldnt know it with how bullshit housing prices are here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i would love to move to a less crowded+expensive place but 1. i like living in heavily blue areas 2. other places tend to not pay well 3. id be far from friends and family

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

twin cities is 3mil so while small by your standards is quite large by American standards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qhat posted:

*in cowboy voice* NEW YORK CITY?!?!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

twin cities is 3mil so while small by your standards is quite large by American standards

I guess the key thing is population density. NYC is 50 times denser than twin cities.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

I guess the key thing is population density. NYC is 50 times denser than twin cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...5,000_residents

Somerville #2, right under NYC

Cambridge #5, Boston #10

ngl i kinda want to move but boston jobs arent so bad

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Lower taxes, fewer people, nicer people, less noise, better housing...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fiedler posted:

Lower taxes, fewer people, nicer people, less noise, better housing...

p much

ideally youd commute from further out but then its a bitch of a commute

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Come to beautiful Porltand, Maine! all the cost of living in boston without the jobs or pay!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also all of Boston invades during the summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Maine is honestly a very nice place to be during the summer month