Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

UNC loses in the sweet 16. Bet that.

Also, MSU vs Duke in the sweet 16? It's almost too much ego to handle.

Well I mean, the list of good draws for a 16 seed has to be a short one. Oh yay, we're playing Xavier, we're home free.

retrievers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The team that lost by eight points to Towson will definitely beat the Jayhawks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rick posted:

I'm somewhat confused as to why they didn't get in. Especially with UCLA a fairly bad team, in.

Also ASU who basically collapsed late season and finished 8th in the pac 12.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn shipped off to San Diego but not the worst draw in the world for a shot at winning two games, which is the best we could hope for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bip Roberts posted:

Also ASU who basically collapsed late season and finished 8th in the pac 12.

Yeah it probably honestly should've just been Arizona and USC as the Pac12 reps.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think a lot of thecomittee just looked at final score laat ight and decided that USC sucked, on top of not having a signature win

Also, Ayton is a beast and 100k is a loving bargain

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I had given up on getting an invite after losing to Stanford at the end of the regular season and getting bounced from the Pac 12 tournament in the first round by Colorado. Nearly all of the losses have been nail biters, but there have definitely been too many of them.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'm still angry at how terrible they made the selection show.

Also :lol: that MTSU wasn't even one of the first four out. Gotta get those mediocre power 5 teams in there! :rolleyes:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I am not thrilled about a potential second round matchup with Arizona. I have very little confidence Kentucky can keep shooting like they did this week.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kentucky will not make it to the second round

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

If anybody's doing a bracket pool PM me and I'll get in.

Nothing fancy I am not a rich fellow. Five bucks to buy in. Maybe 10 if the pool is small.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like road wins should be valued more. Just weird to see teams that are 2-9 on the road in the tournament. Home court is a big deal at the college level. Mid-majors would get quality wins if P5 schools actually felt they had to play a road game in November and December.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I am not thrilled about a potential second round matchup with Arizona. I have very little confidence Kentucky can keep shooting like they did this week.

I'm not thrilled about playing Kentucky in the second round as an Arizona fan, either, lol. Although I guess at least it's not a bunch of scrappy old white dudes, which is Arizona's kyptonite.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Rick posted:

I'm not thrilled about playing Kentucky in the second round as an Arizona fan, either, lol. Although I guess at least it's not a bunch of scrappy old white dudes, which is Arizona's kyptonite.

Yeah, seems like both teams were disappointments based on expectations, but are both coming in hot. Is there a better potential second round matchup out there?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are we going to make a new thread for the tourney or keep this one (I'm preferring a new one but).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Baylor and OSU out of the tournament is dumb. Tech getting a 3 seed and playing in Dallas is cool and good.

WVU with a 5 seed is a surprise.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

iospace posted:

Are we going to make a new thread for the tourney or keep this one (I'm preferring a new one but).

I was thinking of making a thread for bracket pool chat, so we could keep "MAH BRACKET :qq:" posts there without it getting into other threads.

Also gonna shill the goon bracket again if you missed my last post https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/61197/invitation?key=ab6d6a39831c65fb&soc_trk=lnk

Password: fuckduke

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I would like to see Rhode Island beat Duke, if that’s not too much to ask! I would also like the UH Cougars to beat SDSU and Michigan but that seems wishful.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I would love for Rhode Island to upset Duke, but I have a hard time seeing a team with nobody taller than 6'8 knocking off a team with Duke's talent and size.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island is going to play Iona

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Because I know this is going to slip under the radar otherwise, but the NCAA is using the NIT this year as a testbed:

quote:

• A deeper 3-point line. It will be moved back approximately 20 inches to the distance used by FIBA in international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).

• A wider free throw lane. It will be extended from 12 to 16 feet, which is used in the NBA.

• Quarters, not halves. The game will still have 40 minutes of game clock, but it will be broken into four 10-minute quarters, which was adopted for the women's college game in 2015. For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls.

• After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds, as opposed to the full 30.

Source

(Also, note that none of these changes can be adopted till the 2019-2020 season if they are picked up)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Benne posted:

I was thinking of making a thread for bracket pool chat, so we could keep "MAH BRACKET :qq:" posts there without it getting into other threads.

Also gonna shill the goon bracket again if you missed my last post https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/61197/invitation?key=ab6d6a39831c65fb&soc_trk=lnk

Password: fuckduke

Done. TTU National Champs!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Who’s got the picks, baby, let’s all win our workplace pools

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
What are some of the more exciting upset opportunities this year? For some reason, I feel good about SF Austin over Texas Tech, but that’s just a gut feeling.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

I like Purdue's draw a ton.

I don’t disagree with this

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Democrazy posted:

What are some of the more exciting upset opportunities this year? For some reason, I feel good about SF Austin over Texas Tech, but that’s just a gut feeling.

I don't know if it means anything but I had the exact same feeling. I think SF Austin might be a little underseeded and I'm not blown away by Tech.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

b0ng posted:

I would also like the UH Cougars to beat SDSU and Michigan but that seems wishful.

It's becoming a new tradition at UH to lose to San Diego State in everything so they'll probably win

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
SFA is a lot of fun to watch and I think they have a decent shot at beating Tech.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Keenan Evans' toe is good I feel like Tech is hard to beat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

If Keenan Evans' toe is good I feel like Tech is hard to beat.

Yeah Tech is a different team when he's right. That's still a pretty big if though.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah Tech is a different team when he's right. That's still a pretty big if though.

5 days rest compared to the 1 day turnaround before WVU. He should be playing more like he did against TCU and UT than he was against WVU. Doubt we see the same poor free throw shooting that sunk Tech vs WVU.

SFA doesn't have the shot blockers and interior defenders to keep Tech away from the rim, either, which is what Tech really struggles with.

It's basically a mirror match with both teams having similar builds and styles, and Tech's gonna have better athletes than SFA. SFA's a little under-seeded, but Tech's no slouch and is not likely to overlook SFA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unfortunately for you I picked Tech in two brackets so you're hosed. SFA will probably go to the Elite Eight now.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

iospace posted:

Because I know this is going to slip under the radar otherwise, but the NCAA is using the NIT this year as a testbed:

Source

(Also, note that none of these changes can be adopted till the 2019-2020 season if they are picked up)

Not sure about the lane stuff, but the other rules are good and cool.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright I made a thread for bracket chat https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851584

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PotatoJudge posted:

Not sure about the lane stuff, but the other rules are good and cool.
Here's the theory they're going for at least:

quote:

The NCAA says in its release that officials will review whether widened lanes “reduce physicality and create more driving opportunities,” as well as the impact of the rule changes on “the pace and flow of the game.”

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/973293222842765313

Woj bomb

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Cal State Northridge apparently is going to hire Mark Gottfried, godspeed Gott chasing that SoCal tail

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unfortunately the SoCal tail will not be residing in Northridge.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I love this. Anybody know if Davidson is sending their students again like they did in the Steph year?

e: Looks like that was for the regional semis and finals, so maybe not unless they got there.

Poque fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Just a reminder that your cinderella this year is Marshall

https://twitter.com/CraigMeyerPG/status/814343009244483585

• Locked thread