Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Psychobabble! posted:

Does anyone have an iPad Air (A1475 specifically) and if so, can it run pokemon go? I know it's not optimized for tablets but plenty of people play of tablets so. I know they recently made it so a lot of older devices don't work but I'm not really sure where this specific model fits into the time line.

Yes it can play and will be able to for the foreseeable future. (64 bit CPU)

Since your particular model has a cellular modem it will have GPS which makes it much more bearable to play with.

(My kid has a Wifi-only Air1 and it's pretty painful to do anything with.)

endlessmonotony posted:

It has an A7 and 1GB of memory. It can barely run Go, but it'll crash a lot.

This hasn't been my experience.
Most of my siblings/parents have iPhones 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
my Nexus 10 tablet from 2013 runs PoGo with GPS, though it is quite laggy and slow. No more crashes than usual.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Julio Cruz posted:

Nah you just need to understand the concept of probability.

I've caught 255 Karp, next one is shiny, according to probability, right? Right?

Crosspeice posted:

Actually if you spend more money on travelling to a less lovely area you'll be able to participate in more 5* raids and thus increase your chances. :homebrew:

I honestly don't need more opportunities. We usually have more 5s nearby than we can do, it's just lovely RNG. Possibly using all my RNG luck on the EX passes, which I would happily pass to other people.

Pomplamoose posted:

Are these the number attempted or the number caught? Regardless, why so many Entei and Suicune?

Whoops, number attempted. Everyone in that immediate friend group was either pushing to level 40 or 40 million XP, and we could easily four man both, so we just drove around hitting a ton. I wish we'd done it during Raikou instead of Suicine. We didn't have Gen III yet, weren't as into gymming, etc etc. Plus it got real cold at the end of November, end of Suicine. A lot of our gyms are park-and-walk.

Three of the core six are also Discord mods, and we tend to try and help people raid if they can't do it without 1-2 of us.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Meanwhile, it's been over a month since the APK teardown that discovered the quest system, and I've been just sitting here waiting for it to arrive. And waiting. Aaaand waiting. :shepface:

All these zero-effort events must take a lot of manpower to manage.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rayquaza is supposed to end soon, right? Maybe they’ll give the level 5 raids a rest for a while and let us do something else.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Prop Wash posted:

Rayquaza is supposed to end soon, right? Maybe they’ll give the level 5 raids a rest for a while and let us do something else.

The 15th, I think.

I don't see them killing their cash cow. That one 24ish period where we had no legendaries seemed like a shot across the bow. A reminder that we play the dumb game on their dumb terms and can't change that.

I always expect the worst fr Niantic, though. I'm guessing months still until even a basic quest.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
With raid groups doing 100+ raids per day, that cash cow is never gonna die.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
The quests are gonna be grindy crap that you probably already do regularly anyway like "Spin 15 stops today!" or "Catch 10 Dark type Pokemon today!" If the rewards are revives or even rare candies though, it would be worth it.

I mean I can't see the quests being anything groundbreaking given the limitations of the game and trying to be fair for everyone to complete it. Even the EX raid conditions are making people upset as it is: randomly selecting a place you played at, a set time to do something, a rare Pokemon being obtained only through this method. Like if they made the quest like Team Rocket takes over a gym some random time once a day and you get cool rewards for defeating them, people are going to complain that it's never at a fair time, it disrupts gym ownership, etc. etc.

I just wish the quests are having to walk X distance per day so the only complaints are from people who don't like walking.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
I swear mareep went from 10ks into 5ks a while back. Am I misremembering?

I did a chain raid tomorrow and hit 13 Rayquaza raids, all on lucky eggs, for a total of 897k exp. Woo! Idk how you guys do even more than that. I was so ready to go home by the time our driver was done.

Edit: vvv I know they are *now* because I've also had a bunch out of recent 10ks. I just swore for a while there I hatched them out of 5ks(after originally being in 10ks)

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mareep is definitely still 10k, i just hatched two back to back this week from 10ks.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Willsun posted:

The quests are gonna be grindy crap that you probably already do regularly anyway like "Spin 15 stops today!" or "Catch 10 Dark type Pokemon today!" If the rewards are revives or even rare candies though, it would be worth it.

At least it's something that's not raids. The game has been 90% about raids since goddamn June.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Dude on Facebook is bragging that he just hit 40. He started playing 5 months ago, uses no scanners and insists he doesn't spoof. But he does spend a lot of money.

I just....how is that even fun?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dude on Facebook is bragging that he just hit 40. He started playing 5 months ago, uses no scanners and insists he doesn't spoof. But he does spend a lot of money.

I just....how is that even fun?

They probably don't think it's fun. It's just that they feel compelled to hit a specific number and won't stop till they do. This is how F2P games work.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Psychobabble! posted:

I swear mareep went from 10ks into 5ks a while back. Am I misremembering?

I did a chain raid tomorrow and hit 13 Rayquaza raids, all on lucky eggs, for a total of 897k exp. Woo! Idk how you guys do even more than that. I was so ready to go home by the time our driver was done.

Edit: vvv I know they are *now* because I've also had a bunch out of recent 10ks. I just swore for a while there I hatched them out of 5ks(after originally being in 10ks)

There was an event last summer where they (and some other usually-rare stuff like Tyrogue) hatched from 2ks, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I've never been disappointed to hatch back to back dratini until last night. I loaded up a bunch of 10k eggs and got one beldum out of it (27 candy). The rest was dratini, dratini, Ralts, mareep, mareep, and a bunch of 5k trash. At least my long runs on the weekend clear my egg stash out since I go really slow.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

kxZyle posted:

At least it's something that's not raids. The game has been 90% about raids since goddamn June.

My pipe dream wish from Niantic is PvP battling, although I can already see the problems: coding something that works (dodging error hell), reasons/rewards for people to bother challenging each other, a way to deter people from artificially grinding with friends or multiple devices to earn aforementioned rewards.

Beastyfella posted:

I've never been disappointed to hatch back to back dratini until last night. I loaded up a bunch of 10k eggs and got one beldum out of it (27 candy). The rest was dratini, dratini, Ralts, mareep, mareep, and a bunch of 5k trash. At least my long runs on the weekend clear my egg stash out since I go really slow.

Only Swablu from 2k eggs kinda sucks once you already finished evolving a 100% IV one.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Still scratching my head over the guy who said he put at least a grand into this game.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I've been lucky that one gotten a whole two 2k eggs so far. Both were wailmer too, which I need.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i gots me 9 10k eggs cookin right now, first time i've ever had 9 at once

hoping for enough candies to evolve a salamence and/or a metagross, realistically expecting 9 chimechos or some dumb poo poo tho.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Willsun posted:

My pipe dream wish from Niantic is PvP battling, although I can already see the problems: coding something that works (dodging error hell), reasons/rewards for people to bother challenging each other, a way to deter people from artificially grinding with friends or multiple devices to earn aforementioned rewards.

The reward for challenging others to PvP battles is that I get to challenge others to PvP battles. I don’t need much more incentive than that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Beastyfella posted:

Half of my 10km eggs lately have been Dratini. Like, I'm happy to have more free Dratini candy, but I really wish I'd get something I actually need right now. I've been overloaded on Dratini candy since the Dratini event.

Dratini.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
3 of my 10k eggs have been Skarmory and another 3 have been Ralts, it's dumb.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Robokomodo posted:

Still scratching my head over the guy who said he put at least a grand into this game.

I know people who have dropped more than that

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Aerodactyl, Dratini, Lapras, Mareep like mad. One crappy Snorlax, a decent Bagon and a decent Ralts. lovely event for me for 10k.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Caught a 100% Rayquaza :peanut: . It's the first perfect legendary I got and the only one I've seen.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Jothan posted:

The reward for challenging others to PvP battles is that I get to challenge others to PvP battles. I don’t need much more incentive than that.
Hats. It worked for TF2!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not sure on PvP. Unless they completely overhaul this game from a clicking simulator I don't think the combat system is deep enough to be satisfying.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The biggest problem with PvP is going to be that it either gives no reward (so you're just wasting revives/potions for no reason) or it does give a reward and everyone starts pairing off to chuck Pidgey at each other and get free stuff.

Sure you could just have it be no reward and no permanent damage, but then what's the point at all? Niantic gets no money, players get no reward, and the battle system sucks so it's just a "compare the numbers" game. Why would they ever even develop that?

It could have a daily battle pass like raids, but even then it still lives/dies based on how good the rewards are.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

LanceKing2200 posted:

The biggest problem with PvP is going to be that it either gives no reward (so you're just wasting revives/potions for no reason) or it does give a reward and everyone starts pairing off to chuck Pidgey at each other and get free stuff.

Sure you could just have it be no reward and no permanent damage, but then what's the point at all? Niantic gets no money, players get no reward, and the battle system sucks so it's just a "compare the numbers" game. Why would they ever even develop that?

It could have a daily battle pass like raids, but even then it still lives/dies based on how good the rewards are.

What's the point of anything, really?

Alternatively, what's the point of PvP in the mainstream games?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if PvP was basically what our current system is, it'd be a boring waste of my already low amount of revives. If it gave XP, people could abuse it with 2 accounts to level up quickly (though they could give a daily cap to fix that, then also give away passes that allowed you to go past the limit like any F2P game does that whales could buy like crazy, hire me Niantic).

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Why not heal Pokemon after PVP if there's no real reward, and take some time to come up with a real PvP system, if one is even needed. Just make a few dumb badges to start out with, and some clothes to sell based on badge level.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Any sort of PvP more complicated than the current gym-battling system is going to be completely unworkable unless they fix the connection issues.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Louisgod posted:

3 of my 10k eggs have been Skarmory and another 3 have been Ralts, it's dumb.
I'll take those Ralts eggs if you don't want them, my 10k eggs have been split between Dratini and Feebas.

And be sure to save at least one male Ralts for a Gallade next gen!

Edit: Lapras! I've seen a single Lapras ever during the last winter event!

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 13, 2018

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I’ve gotten 5 10ks in the last 2 days and they were all dratini. I don’t mean to be ungrateful, but...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
2x chimecho. lol

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Caught a 100% beldum today. Woo! Unfortunately I /just/ evolved my best beldum(a 93 so still not bad) yesterday. drat. Fingers crossed I hatch some since they're supposed to be boosted hatches as they're pretty rare around here.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Finished Gen3 today (North America only). Just in time for more to be released.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Robokomodo posted:

Freemium games are extremely predatory toward a certain type of person who is cool dropping hundreds of dollars on a game to reach arbitrary goals

Guy from my chat group's inventory:

His goal is to level up an Alt account from lvl 1 to lvl 40 in one month. Currently at lvl 39 with like 2 or 3 million to go

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
20/21 on my last legendaries so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I mean yeah you guys all pretty much said everything that goes into thinking about PvP. Either it's useless or it's easily exploited. Most likely outcome is Niantic can't code something that doesn't fall apart like wet paper to sync up dodging or the inevitable constant switching out for type advantages.

My idea: PvP battling could reward people with mega stones, and to limit PvP battling to once a day like raids to prevent grinding it. You earn points to trade for mega stones based on factors like higher CP Pokemon used for battles (so tossing poo poo Pidgey at each other will earn you next to nothing) and how many moves you dodged with diminishing returns if you're dodging them all in a row without attacking back (to prevent people just agreeing to sit there and dodge the whole battle with next to no health until time's almost up). Then maybe give out badge rewards counting the number of unique people you battled so that people just grinding with the same accounts/friends don't earn anything here.

Like yeah, this won't prevent people with multiple devices from just doing this with themselves for mega stones, but if they complain about this being an extra chore, it's kinda on them not playing PvP the way it's meant to be played, and mega stones aren't permanent improvements they win anyway. The part how mega stones aren't THAT important makes people who grind it out think if it's even really worth it or necessary. My goal here is to reward genuine PvP players with a little something to show off when they go into raids and mega evolve in front of everyone even if it's going to die almost just as quickly as every other Pokemon in a raid battle while doing just a little more damage.

• Locked thread