Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Danger 5 is amazing!

...season 1 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Danger 5 is amazing!

...season 1 anyway.

Danger 5 is a Unicorn.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

CelestialScribe posted:

Counterpoint: The vast majority of Australian television is complete trash and our industry doesn't know how to make good entertainment.

I know I'm in the minority but I really like The Great Australian Bake Off (excluding season 1).

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Danger 5 is amazing!

...season 1 anyway.

Season 2's still hilarious. New Pierre is just as good as old Pierre, and I love how relentlessly Christmassy and grimdark it gets.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

Someone point me to the current tviv American idol thread that is surely choc-full of posters and contestants goon brothers like things were around here just a decade ago.

That dead gay show has said they got rid of the joke contestants. Your best chance at network-aired schadenfreude is watching people gently caress up on ninja warrior.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just finished the first episode of Treme. Pretty good so far, but that DJ might be a deal breaker. Does he ever stop being annoying?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I recently rewatched/finished HIMYM and while it definitely has its flaws and low period and I have some serious criticisms with the last few years and finale... when that show was on it hit home runs.

Also Barney ages really badly. But still. Home runs when it works. And its not like he wasn't creepy at the time.

At a certain point Barney went from "horndog who secretly means well" to "unbelievably monstrous sociopath," and the show expected audiences to still just go, "Oh, Barney, that scamp." It really didn't work, similarly to how we were expected to still root for Ted despite him being such a pathetic creeper that he made Ross Geller look well-adjusted. But Barney just went past the point of redemption probably around season 4, and trying to play him gaslighting the poo poo out of Robin in his plan to propose to her as something actually deeply romantic was horrifying.

But the first season is perfect in just about every way. And even the ninth season was a pretty nice rebound from the dire poo poo that was 7 / 8 outside of that rhyming episode. But holy poo poo that finale.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The finale is perfect because literally for the entire run people were saying "This is about Robin not the mother". The kids are you, goons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

The finale is perfect because literally for the entire run people were saying "This is about Robin not the mother". The kids are you, goons.

Except the show dedicated like three seasons to showing us exactly why Ted and Robin didn't work together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Except the show dedicated like three seasons to showing us exactly why Ted and Robin didn't work together.

And also that Ted's an idiot who would go for it yet again anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

At a certain point Barney went from "horndog who secretly means well" to "unbelievably monstrous sociopath," and the show expected audiences to still just go, "Oh, Barney, that scamp." It really didn't work, similarly to how we were expected to still root for Ted despite him being such a pathetic creeper that he made Ross Geller look well-adjusted. But Barney just went past the point of redemption probably around season 4, and trying to play him gaslighting the poo poo out of Robin in his plan to propose to her as something actually deeply romantic was horrifying.

But the first season is perfect in just about every way. And even the ninth season was a pretty nice rebound from the dire poo poo that was 7 / 8 outside of that rhyming episode. But holy poo poo that finale.

I think for the most part during "God, Ted is the worst" they weren't really asking us to root for him. They were pretty deliberately saying "God, Ted is the worst" and asking us to invest in Marshall/Lily and Barney/Robin. The cynic in me says it was all a deliberate attempt to drag out the show and take the focus off the fact that we knew we weren't meeting the mother by taking the focus off of that. Victoria and Robin were treated so sincerely and hopefully that it ends up feeling like a tease, so instead they went the other way and made Stella and Zoey just doomed from the start and encourages us not to invest.

Which was problematic but I don't think it was the show asking us to like Ted at his worst.

But yeah, Barney just becomes a sociopath at points and then they try and rehab him and make him grow but they constantly sabotage that and back up his progress which just feels icky. And like everything about him and Robin was just kind of unpleasant and bad, IMO. That's my main problem way more than Ted being a douche.

And I absolutely loved the final season and the finale and everything involving the mother... until that end. And I won't bother expanding because I'm sure its been talked to death but... yeah. They came so close to nailing it. Hell, they DID nail it. And then they just couldn't help themselves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of shows that went downhill due to bad character writing, I watched The Mindy Project with my GF for a while, and while it wasn't anything amazing, it was at least good. And then there was Danny. Danny started out as kind of an rear end in a top hat, then turned out to be an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold, then turned, very suddenly, into a selfish, abusive piece of poo poo. I heard there was some behind-the-scenes stuff where they wanted to write the character out, but it just ended up making the show unwatchable. I didn't hear good things about it overall after that point, so presumably it stayed bad.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of shows that went downhill due to bad character writing, I watched The Mindy Project with my GF for a while, and while it wasn't anything amazing, it was at least good. And then there was Danny. Danny started out as kind of an rear end in a top hat, then turned out to be an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold, then turned, very suddenly, into a selfish, abusive piece of poo poo. I heard there was some behind-the-scenes stuff where they wanted to write the character out, but it just ended up making the show unwatchable. I didn't hear good things about it overall after that point, so presumably it stayed bad.

Yeah, they instantly demonized Danny to get him off the show because the actor wanted to do other things. It was really lovely writing. I still watched for uh a year after he was written off, and it was still consistently funny but you could tell there was something missing. Danny and Mindy were so yin and yang that for him to be out of the picture, I just found Mindy a lot more unlikable without him to play off her.

Garrett Dillahunt was ok in his role as the replacement but it just made me want to watch Raising Hope again..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think one thing that happened with HIMYM is that they didn't really plan ahead enough to account for the purported lead of the show being far and away the worst actor on it. Lily, Marshall and Barney are played by three of the most likeable actors in existence. Ted Moseby is a bowl of cottage cheese.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, while I think we'd all agree Josh Radner was the weakest person on the cast he started as a straight man and it was fine. Most people don't really complain about it early and the Ted complaints only build up over time when he starts floundering narratively. HIMYM was a victim of its success because the premise sort of demanded a clear end game but they just wanted to keep the show going indefinitely. That meant years of giving Ted poo poo to do when the entire premise of the show was that Ted's life couldn't really get together until he met the person he can't meet. So then they take the "Robin and him never really break up for a reason except that we said she's not the mother already so lets put her with the only other guy here even though he's kind of a scumbag and we don't really want to change that either and this relationship just kind of makes everyone look bad."

There's definitely poor planning in there, but I don't put it all on Radner.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really hated that whole Danny thing but imo the Hulu seasons are still better than the Fox seasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I think one thing that happened with HIMYM is that they didn't really plan ahead enough to account for the purported lead of the show being far and away the worst actor on it. Lily, Marshall and Barney are played by three of the most likeable actors in existence. Ted Moseby is a bowl of cottage cheese.

Well, the show lived on the brink of cancellation until like its fourth season, and then they absolutely did not intend to run as long as they did which is how you got the water-treading bullshit of seasons 6-8. But, yeah, Radnor's by far the weak link in the cast when put up against Harris, Hannigan and Segel, which is funny because by all accounts the cast got along fabulously except for Segel, who was a huge pain in the rear end on the set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time I'm reminded that Segel is kind of a douche I have to rewatch the clip of him from Superbad and then I'm like oh okay, yeah I can see it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing I can find that connects Jason Segel to Superbad is that he did a table read... what clip do you mean?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Segel’s unprofessional phoning it in for the last third of the series probably edged Radnor a bit ahead of him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

Segel’s unprofessional phoning it in for the last third of the series probably edged Radnor a bit ahead of him.

He also demanded a loving truckload of money to do the ninth season and asked to be taken out of the normal "group" so he had something else to do, which resulted in the writers having to waste like a dozen episodes with him trying to get to the wedding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing I can find that connects Jason Segel to Superbad is that he did a table read... what clip do you mean?

Oops I meant knocked up

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The first Victoria story was amazing; she was sweet and a good match for Ted. Then every subsequent appearance was an opportunity to further poo poo on her character while also providing diminishing returns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Laterite posted:

The first Victoria story was amazing; she was sweet and a good match for Ted. Then every subsequent appearance was an opportunity to further poo poo on her character while also providing diminishing returns.

Yeah, Victoria was explicitly written as a backup mother (as was Stella) in the event the show got canceled early on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

precision posted:

Every time I'm reminded that Segel is kind of a douche I have to rewatch the clip of him from Superbad and then I'm like oh okay, yeah I can see it

It's less that he's kind of a douche and more that he's a genuinely horrible person whose been slowly but surely pushed from the industry for being unpleasant to spend any amount of time around.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PriorMarcus posted:

It's less that he's kind of a douche and more that he's a genuinely horrible person whose been slowly but surely pushed from the industry for being unpleasant to spend any amount of time around.

I wonder if #MeToo is doing him any favors, because in an industry of actual rapists and abusers, someone who's just kind of an asshat probably seems fantastic by comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

Which sucks because he was so good in The End of the Tour

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I still love the Dracula muppet musical from the end of Forgetting Sarah Marshall

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Duke posted:

I still love the Dracula muppet musical from the end of Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I still love that whole movie. I Love You Man is also a stone classic

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is great and why tf is Mila Kunis not married to me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird but this week's episode of The Alienist ended really early.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I think he was dealing with personal demons at that time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ted Moseby is starring in that Rise show which basically looks like a mix of Friday night Lights and Glee. It's starting tomorrow on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyEotf1BkY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks really terrible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

That looks really terrible.

I heard it starts bad and gets better as the season goes on.

You may be shocked to learn that it coincides with more people willing to call Josh Radnor's character out for the rear end in a top hat he is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

I just finished the first episode of Treme. Pretty good so far, but that DJ might be a deal breaker. Does he ever stop being annoying?

Steve Zahn?

He's a national treasure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

I think he was dealing with personal demons at that time.

Segel was drunk off his rear end on the set for the show's entire run until I think season 8 (whenever the year was when he dropped like 35 pounds and looked like a completely different person).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

His character is based on a real person too from memory. I always meant to give Treme the time it deserved, what I saw was really good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Steve Zahn?

He's a national treasure.

That's Justin Bartha.

You're thinking of Sahara, with Matthew McConaughey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

That's Justin Bartha.

You're thinking of Sahara, with Matthew McConaughey.

:)

I feel like I'm the only person who wants more of that duo in Pitt sequels. :(