Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

What about making drinks based on songs? Or usernames?

"Purple Toupee", Shooting Blanks, Tiggum, "Mr. Tillman", etc.

Hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dunno, the Minnesota sushi made looked far better than the actual thing, and while Tiggum's burning love was way off mark, looked like it would be a fine dessert to enjoy after gorging on the real thing! (Seriously, I love this thread.)

Eeeeeeee compliments thank you

I think someone suggested a Suspect Bucket would just be a Homer bucket of cheap liquor all dumped in and passed around at frat parties. I'd like to think that it's a kids sand pail full of cheap fruity margarita slush sold at some seaside attraction, and to get around public consumption laws labeled "NOT ALCOHOL"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manuel Calavera posted:

To bougie. The potato is good and Russian.

Potatoes are South American. :colbert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stand by my original point. But I will accept the beet.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Would my username (also a song) just be Calvados, or...?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
^^^Or else some really strong homemade wine. The kind your weird uncle brews himself, then hides away inside a wall for a couple decades and brings out for weddings, that you gotta strain first.

Totally not speaking from experience here....

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
E: sorry, buttpostin’

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 9, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What happened to pasta in the style of whores? I really wanted to see how that one got interpreted...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PT6A posted:

What happened to pasta in the style of whores? I really wanted to see how that one got interpreted...

I dunno, did you ask your mom?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, did you ask your mom?

Rude, IMHO.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You're easy, a shot of Malört

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My username is based off a real fake drink. If you think hard enough you'll know it. e:Actually I'm not named lemonbrick on here so that's not true. Oops. But the Fizzy Mercy is a real drink made with too much aperol.

I just bought all the ingredients for fish cock and I'm making it tonight for a dinner party to amaze/horrify my guests. I won't spoil the whole thing, but I'm thawing a pound of pizzle and some old roosters that I butchered my drat self for the dish. I really don't think I'm going to get this right.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 10, 2018

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

I just bought all the ingredients for fish cock and I'm making it tonight for a dinner party to amaze/horrify my guests. I won't spoil the whole thing, but I'm thawing a pound of pizzle and some old roosters that I butchered my drat self for the dish. I really don't think I'm going to get this right.
Needs more cock. Will there be a fish-shaped jello mold involved?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't know exactly how a Fleta McGurn would taste, but I know it would be salty as hell.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't know exactly how a Fleta McGurn would taste, but I know it would be salty as hell.

Bubble tea, but with uncomfortably large globules of aspic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

fizzymercy posted:

and some old roosters that I butchered my drat self for the dish.
Where are you? I want to hear more about this. After you post your fish cock, of course.

Picture unrelated

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This might work as a base for a Fleta. 2 parts pear cider, 1 part straight pear infused whey alcohol (vodka in a pinch).

Pear cider in honor of Ireland, whey in honor of viking ancestors and to get drunk more fleta (swift).

Edit: whey alcohol is a milk based alcohol that's got roughly the same alcohol content as vokda.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 12, 2018

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Just in case other people want to know what burning love "really" is (I didn't see it covered, but I might be blind)
It's mashed potatoes with bacon and soft fried onions on top, served with pickled beets and sprinkled with chives.
Why it's called burning love? No idea, but it's nice and you can eat it with a spoon in front of the TV...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weatherwax posted:

Just in case other people want to know what burning love "really" is (I didn't see it covered, but I might be blind)
It's mashed potatoes with bacon and soft fried onions on top, served with pickled beets and sprinkled with chives.
Why it's called burning love? No idea, but it's nice and you can eat it with a spoon in front of the TV...

I wish I'd made that instead.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'd like to propose some silly-named British food.

I don't know if any of this is actually familiar to 'Merkins so let me know:

Rag Pudding
Gooseberry Fool
Bakewell Tart

And last but not least, real actual thing a British dish is called:

Faggots.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

You're welcome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

dino. posted:

You're welcome.

But the ones they mentioned aren't vegan!

E: your tomato curry recipe is the best!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

But the ones they mentioned aren't vegan!

E: your tomato curry recipe is the best!

Lol I was hoping someone would catch the joke. For the record, that picture is me.

Also, I don’t recall a tomato curry. I have a recipe for that? :o

Spoiler for me, it likely involves mustard seed, tons of onion, ginger, and garlic. But I don’t recall putting that in my book or blog. Did drunk Dino make a good thing?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

dino. posted:

Lol I was hoping someone would catch the joke. For the record, that picture is me.

Also, I don’t recall a tomato curry. I have a recipe for that? :o

Spoiler for me, it likely involves mustard seed, tons of onion, ginger, and garlic. But I don’t recall putting that in my book or blog. Did drunk Dino make a good thing?

It was in a thread years ago; maybe it made it to the GWS wiki?

And, yeah, that sounds like the recipe! Soooo good, and super easy!

mdtwiztid
Feb 6, 2016

If it's not too late to add a suggestion; Roasted Meat Cake.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008
In honor of this thread, we held a Culturally Ignorant Potluck Dinner Party.

Christ Ears
Ear shaped, check.
Covered with the blood of christ, check.
Sprinkle with some frankincense and myrrh (or...basil and oregano)

Stuffed pasta shells, with ham and cheese.

Pineapple Lumps
Pineapple, in lump form. This seems achievable.

It's lumpy pineapple. Also: bacon. A match made in heaven.

Macaroni Box

It's a box filled with macaroni and cheese -- anyone know what the real macaroni box is?

Cabbage Sparrows
Ok, I've got the closest thing I can get to a sparrow (cornish game hen) and cabbage. Let's do this.

Debone the middle of a cornish game hen (backbone/ribs/etc), then stuff those with pre-cooked stuffed cabbage, itself stuffed with onions, veg, and sausage. As for the real thing, the closest I could find was the "Moravian Sparrow" Czech pork dish -- is that the right one?

Pasta Puttanesca (pasta in the style of whores)
Cream sauce and bottom feeder pasta:

Handmade sun dried tomato linguine with shrimp in a cream sauce. The whores would have loved this, even if they'd usually make a very different sauce.

Juicy Lucy
Juicy? Yes
Lucy? Wait, what?

Strawberry tart, served with champagne. I'd describe it as juicy, and it certainly leaked out once cut (just like the real thing!)

Hoe Cakes

It's a cake for a ho, so we went with boobie shaped cake pops. Vanilla funfetti through and through.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

CrispKing posted:

Hoe Cakes

It's a cake for a ho, so we went with boobie shaped cake pops. Vanilla funfetti through and through.

These reminded me of the nipples of Venus chef John did in the semi recent past:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/02/nipples-of-venus-capezzoli-di-venere.html?m=1

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CrispKing posted:

Cabbage Sparrows
Ok, I've got the closest thing I can get to a sparrow (cornish game hen) and cabbage. Let's do this.

Debone the middle of a cornish game hen (backbone/ribs/etc), then stuff those with pre-cooked stuffed cabbage, itself stuffed with onions, veg, and sausage. As for the real thing, the closest I could find was the "Moravian Sparrow" Czech pork dish -- is that the right one?

All of those look great.

Cabbage sparrows is German, and the German word is Krautspatzen. Kraut means cabbage. Spatzen is this bird:

But Spatzen is also a type of egg-noodle that looks sort of like this:

It's not cut or pressed through a form like normal noodles, you sort of lob chunks off the noodle dough and let them drop directly into boiling water. There's a bunch of different tools for that, ranging from Spatzen board and Spatzen grater to Spatzen shaker.

Anyway, you can eat this as a side dish with any meat, but they are also the main part of some dishes, most famously Käsespätzle (Spätzle with cheese, which is actually a pretty complex thing when you let a person from the Allgäu region make it), and the Krautspatzen we're talking about.

Basically Krautspatzen is Spätzle fried in a pan, with Sauerkraut. No meat in it, unless you add those little bacon cubes:

I'm happy that my dish names inspired so many goons :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

mdtwiztid posted:

If it's not too late to add a suggestion; Roasted Meat Cake.

I gotchu https://imgur.com/a/zJoYo

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I love seeing the Jucy Lucy (yes it's spelled that way). The real deal is a cheeseburger, but the the cheese inside the patty (preferably with pickles and minced sauteed onions), invented at Matt's Bar in Minneapolis and I will not believe otherwise.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Your pasta puttanesca is not very wrong! Traditionally it's olives and veggies, but shrimp would work just fine in the original. The iconic bit is the sauce - it's sort of like if you started a marinara from scratch (as in from tomatoes) but didn't have the time to finish it so your sauce was just tomatoes crushed in a pan and cooked for a couple of minutes with garlic and some herbs. You can basically make it in the time it takes to boil water and cook your pasta. Depending on who you ask, it was perfected by prostitutes either because they could make and eat it quickly between clients or to lure clients in with the aroma.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Series of Unfortunate Events implied that puttanesca has no sauce at all which even back then seemed like bullshit.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've always reckoned Puttanesca to be a wintery dish because it uses a lot of stuff that gets preserved. Anchovies, capers, olives, garlic, chillies, tomato.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

CrispKing posted:

Macaroni Box

It's a box filled with macaroni and cheese -- anyone know what the real macaroni box is?

Quite close, quite close. In traditional Finnish makaronilaatikko instead of cheese you have a milk-egg mixture. Then you have some ground beef/pork and an onion. Season with salt and pepper, stick it in the oven until it's set and serve with ketchup.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

I've always reckoned Puttanesca to be a wintery dish because it uses a lot of stuff that gets preserved. Anchovies, capers, olives, garlic, chillies, tomato.

And here i was thinking it was all about the smell.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

A Series of Unfortunate Events implied that puttanesca has no sauce at all which even back then seemed like bullshit.

So naked noodles? In the style of whores, indeed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

So naked noodles? In the style of whores, indeed.

Naked and oily, like all good whores.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Someone do ants climbing a tree! It's Sichuanese.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

We did these in kindergarten. Take your ants on a log and stick it in the dirt. Look, now it’s a tree! With ants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

gently caress you! Now I really want some and the only Sichuan place I know of here doesn't have it (and sucks).

This is a crazy good suggestion, though.

• Locked thread