Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nobody cares about your bracket or office pool -- except in this thread. It's a safe space. Come talk about your Final Four picks, preferred upsets, and stone cold locks, and then lament when it all goes to poo poo in the first round.

GOON BRACKET POOL

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/61197/invitation?key=ab6d6a39831c65fb&soc_trk=lnk

Password: fuckduke

Have fun and gently caress Duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I signed up and have Tennessee going to the Elite 8 which is fair I think but even my rampant homerism couldn't pick them to upset UVA. I think I even let it get the better of me picking them to beat Cincy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Benne posted:

Come talk about your Final Four picks, preferred upsets, and stone cold locks, and then lament when it all goes to poo poo in the first round.
I will do all of these things. For the first time in my life, I have unironically selected my team, Virginia, to win a national championship. A cruel and unjust god wouldn't possibly throw this back in my face.

e: Oh uh, upsets? It's Gonzaga over Michigan in the Elite Eight, so not exactly a 15 over 2, but that's as close as I get. I have every other region as #1 defeating #2, because why doubt the illustrious selection committee?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 12, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

San Diego State loses in the first round.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Benne posted:

Nobody cares about your bracket or office pool -- except in this thread. It's a safe space. Come talk about your Final Four picks, preferred upsets, and stone cold locks, and then lament when it all goes to poo poo in the first round.

GOON BRACKET POOL

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/61197/invitation?key=ab6d6a39831c65fb&soc_trk=lnk

Password: fuckduke

Have fun and gently caress Duke

No money involved in this, right?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I signed up and have Tennessee going to the Elite 8 which is fair I think but even my rampant homerism couldn't pick them to upset UVA. I think I even let it get the better of me picking them to beat Cincy.

I agree with this, I think they lose to whoever wins the UVA/Arizona matchup, which is my early pick for Game Of The Tournament. It's a rough draw but seems correct for Tennessee as a 3.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like to go through my bracket and make educated decisions on each game until it is done. Then I go back and change 5-7 outcomes as a reminder to myself that this poo poo never makes sense and every year we go holy poo poo all the brackets are busted.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

kiimo posted:

I like to go through my bracket and make educated decisions on each game until it is done. Then I go back and change 5-7 outcomes as a reminder to myself that this poo poo never makes sense and every year we go holy poo poo all the brackets are busted.
There's a chance that you're overestimating how emotionally invested everyone is in their picks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Made my picks. I paid less attention this year, so I'm hoping that actually helps me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Virginia
Gonzaga
Purdue
Kansas

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Mostly random picks, Texas Tech over Davidson

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Rhode Island beats OU, Duke, and MichSt and wins my heart. I put Gonzaga, Nova, Cincinnati and Kansas as the final four because I know absolutely nothing about college basketball outside of Rob Gray is good. Glad I could contribute.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is only one good team and they are Virginia. hth

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Has there been any replacement for WSJ's blind bracket thing? It was nice to see how things shook out using it and I'm bummed I haven't found one since.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

Has there been any replacement for WSJ's blind bracket thing? It was nice to see how things shook out using it and I'm bummed I haven't found one since.

They still do something like it, but IIRC it takes a few days to put it together.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

The only thing I'm willing to bet like actual money on is West Virginia beating Nova and then Purdue winning the east.

And by "actual money" mean maybe 10 bucks

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

Also if anyone wants to do a separate pool ($5 entry, 2 entries per person, WINNEr TAKE ALL) PM me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did a weighted rng bracket because my brackets sucked poo poo the last few years and it still knew the global "gently caress duke" rule and eliminated them in the second round lol

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I actually put my final four as Virginia, Purdue, Michigan State, and Houston.

I don't think any team besides Arizona has the team to beat Virginia in the South, and Sean Miller is a master at losing in the tournament. They'll beat Tennessee in the Elite 8. Kansas is Kansas, and I have them losing to Auburn just before Auburn loses to Michigan State (If they don't lose to Penn lol). West Virginia will beat Villanova, and will in turn lose to Purdue, who won't face a single digit team until then. I just remember Houston hate-loving some poor team a month ago and I want to see them do it to UNC, but I also didn't want to pick Xavier or Ohio State after that.

I had Duke lose to Rhode Island, as it should be. My big opening upsets are Davidson over Kentucky, Loyola-Chicago over Miami, Bonnies/UCLA over Florida, SFA over Texas Tech (depends on TT's general health), and NMSU over Clemson.

My heart picked Purdue-Virginia as the final, but my head tells me it'll be Michigan State-Virginia with MSU winning; they'll get the wins vacated three years later anyways.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this feeling where people are picking my team to go to the final four is terrifying and unknown

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

So they’re losing in the sweet 16 then. Got it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

I don't think any team besides Arizona has the team to beat Virginia in the South, and Sean Miller is a master at losing in the tournament. They'll beat Tennessee in the Elite 8. Kansas is Kansas, and I have them losing to Auburn just before Auburn loses to Michigan State (If they don't lose to Penn lol). West Virginia will beat Villanova, and will in turn lose to Purdue, who won't face a single digit team until then. I just remember Houston hate-loving some poor team a month ago and I want to see them do it to UNC, but I also didn't want to pick Xavier or Ohio State after that.

I had Duke lose to Rhode Island, as it should be. My big opening upsets are Davidson over Kentucky, Loyola-Chicago over Miami, Bonnies/UCLA over Florida, SFA over Texas Tech (depends on TT's general health), and NMSU over Clemson.

My heart picked Purdue-Virginia as the final, but my head tells me it'll be Michigan State-Virginia with MSU winning; they'll get the wins vacated three years later anyways.

HEY

thanks for having us in the Elite 8

:love:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I have Virginia, Michigan, Duke and Purdue in the Final Four, with Duke beating Virginia to win the whole thing because everything sucks and blows, also because I'm not sure who can keep Bagley tamped down. Highlights include giving Ross his day and letting San Diego State beat Houston, UCLA beating Florida, and Providence beating North Carolina, which I'm sure is all very wrong, and I also don't know how I overvalued the Big 10 so much, but there it is.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have neither Kansas nor Duke making the elite eight, because I live in a fantasy world where nothing and nobody can hurt me.

Still looking for confirmation that there's no money in the goon bracket, I can't do sports betting.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

kiimo posted:

Bird in a Blender posted:

So they’re losing in the sweet 16 then. Got it.
Hey I'll have you know that according to insufferable Duke, UNC and MSU fans in comment sections world wide, anything but a 30 point victory in the title game will now and forever expose UVA as a fraud.

e: I mean insufferable fans of those teams, not that fans of those teams are insufferable

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: I mean insufferable fans of those teams, not that fans of those teams are insufferable

Potato, potahtoh

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Poque posted:

I have neither Kansas nor Duke making the elite eight, because I live in a fantasy world where nothing and nobody can hurt me.

Still looking for confirmation that there's no money in the goon bracket, I can't do sports betting.

Goon bracket is free

I have Arizona/North Carolina/Villanova/Michigan State, with Villanova taking it all.

In the real world Duke will win because God is a cruel joke.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

San Diego State loses in the first round.

Most definitely

GhostOfMagellan
Mar 12, 2012
Purdue fan here. Don't pick them to get past the Elite Eight. You're welcome.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

HEY

thanks for having us in the Elite 8

:love:

I may think Wright State is a tough game, but I'm really high on Tennessee right now. Like, if Arizona beats Virginia, I think Tennessee could beat them again to get a Final Four.

Then again, I also think Purdue is going to manifest destiny their way to a final, and I've seen way too much Purdue over the years to understand why I believe that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

GhostOfMagellan posted:

Purdue fan here. Don't pick them to get past the Elite Eight. You're welcome.

I didn't >:]

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

FartingBedpost posted:

This guy is my new best friend.

In a non-goon bracket I have South Dakota beating Ohio State for my 12/5 upset. How crazy am I?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

b0ng posted:

In a non-goon bracket I have South Dakota beating Ohio State for my 12/5 upset. How crazy am I?

I did the same. There’s always a couple 5 seed upsets.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Benne posted:

Goon bracket is free

I have Arizona/North Carolina/Villanova/Michigan State, with Villanova taking it all.

In the real world Duke will win because God is a cruel joke.

Thank you! Joining.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

I may think Wright State is a tough game, but I'm really high on Tennessee right now. Like, if Arizona beats Virginia, I think Tennessee could beat them again to get a Final Four.

Then again, I also think Purdue is going to manifest destiny their way to a final, and I've seen way too much Purdue over the years to understand why I believe that.

Why is Wright State a tough game? From what I've read they have a decent defense but their offense is horrible.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Joined! I have Purdue, Michigan State, UNC, and Virginia in the Final Four with Virginia winning it all.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I'm in. I took Michigan State over Virginia, but I honestly have no confidence in any of my picks. My heart wants to take Kentucky on a run with the way they played last week but my head won that battle. I hope my head is wrong.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
UK is gonna get knocked out by Davidson

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

UK is gonna get knocked out by Davidson

They have the guards and offensive creativity to pull it off imo

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
:getin: having dual monitors at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why is Wright State a tough game? From what I've read they have a decent defense but their offense is horrible.

Mainly the defense. To be fair, I only watched them in the Horizon tournament, and they looked like a team Tennessee would struggle to break down.

I think Tennessee wins by double digits,, but they could get frustrated for a good 30 minutes. Those games are always the tough ones to watch. The annoying game where you just want your team to be up by more than 9 points already.

It doesn’t really matter. Outside of Cincy, Tennessee has a nice path to the Elite 8, and I’ll never be sold on postseason Mick Cronin.

b0ng posted:

lol I’m really praying that Houston beats UNC.

Ohio State has lost to Penn State three times, so not that crazy. My 12/5 is New Mexico State, because they are a type of team that Clemson should struggle with.

• Locked thread