Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shout out to probable rapist Kobe Bryant for winning an Oscar
He's really more "self-admitted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Well, I might be spinning wild theories here, but maybe if he hadn't raped a bunch of people he wouldn't have felt the need to hang himself.

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/12/actors-suicide-triggers-backlash-against-metoo-movement-south/amp/

quote:

Actor’s suicide triggers backlash against #MeToo movement in South Korea

Julian Ryall
12 MARCH 2018 • 5:45 AM

The suicide of a leading South Korean actor accused of sexual assault has triggered a backlash against the nation’s growing #MeToo movement, with critics charging that it has devolved into a witch hunt that promotes prejudice against men.

Jo Min-ki hanged himself in the basement of his apartment building in Seoul on Friday afternoon. Mr Jo, 52, was best known for his roles in a number of television series, including “Love and Ambition”, but had been fired in February from his position as a drama professor at Cheongju University after eight women came forward to allege that he had raped and sexually assaulted them.

Mr Jo was due to turn himself in to police for questioning on Monday morning and left a six-page suicide note in which he apologised to his family and students, local media reported, although the police have declined to release the full contents of the note.

On Friday, an Instagram post by Yoo Ah-in, another actor, showed images of people being burned at the stake in medieval Europe, provoking a storm of on-line criticism from supporters of the #MeToo campaign.

The Facebook of one of the women who accused Mr Jo of sexual assault has also been inundated “with malicious comments”, the Korea Herald reported, with posters insisting she was responsible for the actor’s death and that she should have filed a legal complaint rather than making her allegations via social media sites.

Some have also taken issue with Moon Jae-in, the South Korean president, with an online petition filed on the web site of the Presidential Office demanding that he attend Mr Jo’s funeral.

Mr Moon has been an outspoken advocate of the #MeToo movement, calling on the police and government agencies to investigate any allegation of abuse.

“You should have been more careful before participating in the #MeToo movement”, the petition states. “Because of your words, the life of Jo Min-ki has been lost.

“You should attend Mr Jo’s funeral. He is also a citizen of South Korea”.

Mr Jo is one of the highest-profile figures accused of wrongdoing as the campaign continues to ripple through South Korean society.

Ahn Hee-jung, the former governor of South Chungcheong Province and tipped as a future presidential candidate, surrendered himself to prosecutors in Seoul on Friday to answer allegations that he raped two members of his staff.

Min Byung-doo, a politician of the ruling Democratic Party of Korea, announced over the weekend that he would be stepping down after a woman claimed he had forcibly kissed here after a dinner event in 2010.

South Korea’s #MeToo campaign took off in January, when Seo Ji-hyeon, a prosecutor, accused a senior official from the Ministry of Justice of groping her at a funeral when he was drunk. It has since swept up numerous public figures, including Ko Un, a poet who has been tipped for the Nobel Prize for Literature, and Kim Ki-duk, an award-winning film director.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Do people consider this blog reliable? I've been following it for quite some time and it always seemed in the know, but this item, maaan, it's just too damning.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/03/todays-blind-items-awww-shucks-rapist.html

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Honest Thief posted:

Do people consider this blog reliable? I've been following it for quite some time and it always seemed in the know, but this item, maaan, it's just too damning.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/03/todays-blind-items-awww-shucks-rapist.html

I feel like an idiot reading these things because I have no idea who this is supposed to be and none of the comments helped me deduce the name either.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Are such ambiguously worded statements used to avoid potential defamation suits?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i am the bird posted:

I feel like an idiot reading these things because I have no idea who this is supposed to be and none of the comments helped me deduce the name either.

That's how I felt. Like they just picked a vague description and ran with it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Given enough time they usually go and declassify them I think.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Len posted:

That's how I felt. Like they just picked a vague description and ran with it.

You have to be a regular of the site for a very long time to even make sense of most of the stuff posted. You can check the comment section and there's always one or two people that can guess the blinds, cause they have encyclopedic knowledge of CDAN writing style and rating system, and are also cross referencing with other gossip stuff.

Like most gossip sites most of it is just hearsay that is so vague it can be anyone. Though occasionally it paints some really funny/sad lives of celebrities. Like Jessica Chastain being a weirdo who wraps her house in plastic, but also owns a BDSM horror closet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't "Aww Shucks" a catchphrase for one of Tom Hanks' recurring SNL characters?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CDAN is pure-strain gossip, but it’s been around forever and has had some credible items posted on it in the past. I wouldn’t substitute it for a “legit” news outlet, but stuff posted there tends to be worth keeping an eye on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn't "Aww Shucks" a catchphrase for one of Tom Hanks' recurring SNL characters?

Hanks was the first person to pop into my head, followed by Adam Sandler

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A lot of commenters went to Hanks, but then others pointed out that there's no way Tom Hanks is an A- celeb. Not that I know what the hell an A- celeb is, but I don't think Tom Hanks is it. At least I hope not, because otherwise gently caress everything it's not real.

Comedy option: Butters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

A lot of commenters went to Hanks, but then others pointed out that there's no way Tom Hanks is an A- celeb. Not that I know what the hell an A- celeb is, but I don't think Tom Hanks is it. At least I hope not, because otherwise gently caress everything it's not real.

Comedy option: Butters.

I would file Tom Hanks in the A- celeb category, because while everyone knows who he is and knows at least some of his older roles, you kinda don't see him around much nowadays outside of Spielberg stuff and stodgy dramas and he's not really a massive draw anymore

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Tom Hanks went on a yacht vacation with Oprah Winfrey and the Obamas right after the 2016 election.

He’s not in the “hot young actor” tier of A-List celebrity like he was in the 90s but he’s absolutely metastasized to the “distinguished Hollywood insider/fixture” phase, where most of the movies he’s in do consistently quite well and he still gets a few award nods fairly regularly, even if he doesn’t win. The stuff he’s produced or worked on in roles aside from acting has also been largely successful. He’s also loaded as all hell, which at minimum puts him in the same place Nicholson’s been for the last like 3 decades.

And Spielberg’s work these days may not have the same cachet that it used to but it’s still probably one of the most expensive and prestige games in town.

The point is, Tom Hanks can probably get in anywhere and rub shoulders with Important People given his current status. He’s famous and recognizable enough that regular people would probably hassle him if he went out and had to interact with them but wealthy enough that he probably never has to. He’s “old man A-List” in the way that billionaires are.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 12, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You have to go away for a pretty long period of time to lose A-list status, especially after the dominant run that Hanks had in the 80's and 90's, and even into the early 2000s(Cast Away was released in 2000 and it was a huge hit).

The last performance by Hanks that drew a lot of critical acclaim was I guess Captain Phillips, but that was only about 5 years ago. And he's obviously not dropped out of the public eye since then, Bridge of Spies and Sully were both pretty well received. And this year he had The Post.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2018

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
Further down the comments, folks seemed to land on Sean Astin as the (!!!alleged!!!) culprit.

For someone like Hanks, CDAN would more likely use a term like "permanent A-list," where his name recognition and iconic roles outweigh his current box office draw. (Plus, Sully and Inferno each made $200+ billion in 2016. The Tom Hanks business is still doing alright.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure Sean Astin would be happy to find out that some people consider him A-list, but he'd probably rather find out in some other context.

If Sean Astin is A-list then we need another tier for all the actual A-listers. Like 2% of the country is even aware of Sean Astin's existence beyond a vaguely recognizable face.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Electronico6 posted:

Like Jessica Chastain being a weirdo who wraps her house in plastic, but also owns a BDSM horror closet.

Details, immediately.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
As dumb as I find all this blind item poo poo, there seems to be a mix up between A- list and A-list. A scale like "A-, A and A+" is what the thing is referring to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well Sean Astin isn't A- list either. B list is maybe even a bit generous. He was B list in 2003 when LOTR was big but that was 15 years ago now.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Basebf555 posted:

You have to go away for a pretty long period of time to lose A-list status, especially after the dominant run that Hanks had in the 80's and 90's, and even into the early 2000s(Cast Away was released in 2000 and it was a huge hit).

The last performance by Hanks that drew a lot of critical acclaim was I guess Captain Phillips, but that was only about 5 years ago. And he's obviously not dropped out of the public eye since then, Bridge of Spies and Sully were both pretty well received. And this year he had The Post.

Also Toy Story, which has another sequel coming soon (which by itself is nothing because otherwise :lol: tim allen, but still)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antisamitism posted:

Further down the comments, folks seemed to land on Sean Astin as the (!!!alleged!!!) culprit.

For someone like Hanks, CDAN would more likely use a term like "permanent A-list," where his name recognition and iconic roles outweigh his current box office draw. (Plus, Sully and Inferno each made $200+ billion in 2016. The Tom Hanks business is still doing alright.)

Man if it is Sean Astin I'll be pissed. The last scene of Rudy is the only thing, and I mean literally the only thing, that can get me to cry on demand and I don't even watch football. If it turns out they're carrying a sex pest off the field after all these years then there will be nothing left.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Man if it is Sean Astin I'll be pissed. The last scene of Rudy is the only thing, and I mean literally the only thing, that can get me to cry on demand and I don't even watch football. If it turns out they're carrying a sex pest off the field after all these years then there will be nothing left.

My sister does fund raising for a major hospital on the east coast and she says that Astin is super involved with their charities, not just money(he donates a lot) but he is really generous with his time too. And she said he was really a nice guy all around and a pleasure to deal with, so yea it would be a pretty big downer if he turned out to be a creep.

Of course, every one of these guys has people like me going around telling purely anecdotal stories about how totally not a creep they are, so one can never be certain.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Details, immediately.

They were both blind reveals too.

quote:

This A- list mostly movie actress is a multiple Academy Award winner/nominee. According to a guest who stayed over in her guest room, our actress has several riding crops, whips and handcuffs she keeps in the guest room closet. There was also a locked wardrobe in the guest room too.

Jessica Chastain

quote:

Do people still wrap their sofas in those plastic sofa covers? The one that Ray’s mom had in Everyone Loves Raymond. My grandmother did the same thing. Anyway, I have not seen one live in person in years. Apparently this A list mostly movie actress covers her couches and all her furniture in them. I would understand if it was an allergy thing or she didn’t want her pets on there, but she does it, because she is just strange. Eccentric? That is probably the better term.

It is like she is preserving the furniture for a museum. If it only stopped at the living room, you could probably excuse it as an aberration, but she has fitted covers for the inside of toilets and despite that changes the toilet seats monthly. You are probably thinking to yourself this multiple Academy Award winner/nominee just has a germ thing. That is what I thought too, but she does not really clean all that much and that her kitchen is especially dirty. Our actress only uses sets of dishes once. Nice dishes too. The dirty dishes are stacked everywhere, including sitting on the floor. When it gets to the point she can’t get to the refrigerator, she has a cleaning crew come in and remove all the dishes and clean everywhere in the kitchen and she starts piling up all over again. You know how a lot of homes back in the day had the formal living room no one ever used. It just sat there for guests but no guests had ever used it either. Our actress has multiple bedrooms and a den at her home that are in just such a condition. No one can ever remember seeing the furniture so much as move an inch. Even though there are guest bedrooms and beds, no one has ever used them. Guests from out of town are put up in a hotel. One of the three bathrooms also is in this pristine state. I wonder if she thinks of it as a movie set. Something that isn’t real. The person I spoke to didn’t know anyone who has actually asked her why she lives like that, so we can only guess.

Jessica Chastain

Guess she stopped having guests in her doll house home when they started to blab about her kinks. This is also a good show of CDAN weird rating system. The blinds themselves were posted with a month break between in 2016 and Chastain goes from A- to A for some reason.

This one however is not so funny, or surprising.

quote:

In full view of his girlfriend and the press, this permanent A list mostly movie actor couldn't stop staring at and touching the breasts of his co-star while they posed for photos. Amazingly she didn't say anything, but just kept moving his hand off her breast each time. He would apologize and then do it again.

Al Pacino/Jessica Chastain

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd let Jessica Chastain lure me from her plastic-wrapped sofa to her BDSM closet (after moving the giant pile of dirty dishes from in front of the door) any day.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Frankly, the dirty dishes would add a frisson

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's some stuff on CDAN that's just outright wrong, but that's the nature of the site sometimes, but they have been pretty spot on for years about people like Spacey/Weinstein/Singer et al. I think the ones that are definitely true are the ones that reappear consistently, so there's the former examples and then things like Lindsey Lohan and her 'Yachting' career. Or Jared Leto being a creep.

A lot of stuff about Netflix has been coming up recently as well, either this Duffer Brothers story or how the company is in a worse financial situation than they're letting on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just saying, a handful of crops and restraints seems like a pretty vanilla “BDSM horror closet” although maybe don’t put that stuff in the same guest room people are staying in.

Keeping museumesque “guest rooms” and dens that never get used seems like something my mom would do if she had the money and property. She really loves decorating and the idea of entertaining but has also struggled with anxiety and depression for decades and gets really stressed about cleanliness and doesn’t really have many friends that she sees regularly outside of work.

The dishes stuff is some real Howard Hughes poo poo tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

This A+ list mostly movie actor signed on for a what will be a very controversial movie for the very large paycheck and because he wants to have sex with this married foreign born A/A- list mostly movie actress who he thinks will want to when she meets him. Ummm.

Brad Pitt/Margot Robbie/Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

One of the first comments is supporting Brad Pitt's plan.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Should I watch Ex Machina first or go into Annihilation cold? I have acess to both

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tom Hanks is absolutely A List and is one of the biggest box office stars of all time what the hell is wrong with you guys saying otherwise?

Of all time.

Forest Gump motherfuckers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just saying, a handful of crops and restraints seems like a pretty vanilla “BDSM horror closet” although maybe don’t put that stuff in the same guest room people are staying in.

Keeping museumesque “guest rooms” and dens that never get used seems like something my mom would do if she had the money and property. She really loves decorating and the idea of entertaining but has also struggled with anxiety and depression for decades and gets really stressed about cleanliness and doesn’t really have many friends that she sees regularly outside of work.

The dishes stuff is some real Howard Hughes poo poo tho.

Maybe she has a side gig of renting her house out to film porn. The couch covers are just out of consideration to any guests that sit on them after.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Tom Hanks is absolutely A List and is one of the biggest box office stars of all time what the hell is wrong with you guys saying otherwise?

Of all time.

Forest Gump motherfuckers.

Forrest Gump is trash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the scene when he asks if his son is smart still gets me tho.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would file Tom Hanks in the A- celeb category, because while everyone knows who he is and knows at least some of his older roles, you kinda don't see him around much nowadays outside of Spielberg stuff and stodgy dramas and he's not really a massive draw anymore

Tom Hanks would be referred to as Permanent A-Lister. A- Mostly Movie Actor would be someone like a Seth Rogen or Adam Scott.

bad day fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Forrest Gump is trash.

Your opinion is irrelevant, it's one of the most well liked films in history.

Cast Away. The Green Mile. Saving Private Ryan. Big. The Five Timers Club!

Everyone loves Tom Hanks and he is ironclad A list.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/973333093846278144

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Wasn't she a step-daughter? Still lovely but a pretty significant part to omit.

Rhyno posted:

Your opinion is irrelevant, it's one of the most well liked films in history.

Cast Away. The Green Mile. Saving Private Ryan. Big. The Five Timers Club!

Everyone loves Tom Hanks and he is ironclad A list.
He's great but I'm just tired of him forcing his guests to play World War II with him

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Wasn't she a step-daughter? Still lovely but a pretty significant part to omit.

Well, no, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ChudTudley/status/973333723981762566