Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Star Citizen: The Grift That Keeps On Grifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

iospace posted:

Bratwurst is good and I will not tolerate it being slandered :colbert:

Bratwurst is badwurst and should be thrown in the trash like kale. Reiterating this because truth hurts.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

That post is from February 17th, 2014

Also nobody reads the blogs or this thread

Yeah, that was back when they had no idea they were totally going to get sued for doing stupid poo poo - three years later. :laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

At this point Erin is more culpable than Chris in my opinion. Chris believes he can do it, Erin knows it’s all bullshit.

:same:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Erin is headed on a freight train to stroke city.

The way his weight bounces up and down puts the funding tracker to shame.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Bratwurst is badwurst and should be thrown in the trash like kale. Reiterating this because truth hurts.

Good sausages are good no matter what label you apply, stop labelling sausage. Some of the finest meals I ate in Germany were just bratwurst and some random vegetables served with a very large beer. Kale cooked well is good - I'm a fan of roasted kale with salt and a spice of your choice over it - nice and crispy and flavourful. People tend to overcook brassicas and it's doing them a disservice (tends to make them bitter or mushy).

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Erin seemed to be having a stroke at one point with the you knows per second

I didn't make any of those up btw, or embellish or exaggerate. Transcripts are 100% free range and gluten free.

More on the way shortly

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Is the ruling the motion to protect today?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Viktor posted:

Is the ruling the motion to protect today?

I have stairs in my house.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Amazing Zimmo posted:

I have stairs in my house.

that is him in the wheelchair.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

intardnation posted:

that is him in the wheelchair.

Is that how babby formed?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

When it's a slow news day we should all take time out to remember the best post that reddit has ever spat out.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Virtual Captain posted:

Just a note here, The kickstarter ended on Nov 19th, 2012 and according to this document they signed the GLA on Nov 20th, 2012.

The way I see this. If CryTek built the demo, pitch, etc. They had no idea if it would go anywhere and formally sold it to Chris/CIG the day after the kickstarter ended (presumably CIG now had the money)

Dark Off posted:

someone needs to adjust the 4th stimpire lore a bit.

We joke about how CIG and the backers love to revise how long it's been since work "started" on Star Citizen, but goddamn it really is amazing seeing the real start date spelled out in black and white. CIG have been loving around for 5 1/2 years and still have nothing but a janky tech demo to show for it.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Saladin Rising posted:

We joke about how CIG and the backers love to revise how long it's been since work "started" on Star Citizen, but goddamn it really is amazing seeing the real start date spelled out in black and white. CIG have been loving around for 5 1/2 years and still have nothing but a janky tech demo to show for it.

I wouldn't even call it a tech demo anymore, I'd say it's about 6 more major patches away from being a janky proof of concept.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Saladin Rising posted:

nothing but a janky tech demo to show for it.

I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as a tech demo - which technology is it demonstrating exactly? Collision detection? Physics? Basic movement? Ship flight control and handling? Networking? Combat? AI? Procedural generation?
Because none of those work in Star Citizen and most of them were native to CryEngine in 2010.

The only way you can get any of the assets to look good in it is to screenshot a single frame before everything jitters and janks and distorts and breaks, then post it to twitter.

So no, it's not a tech demo and it's not even close to being at a stage were you can start asking people to find bugs, there isn't a phrase or term for what it is other than a scam. e: they can't even use it to raise funds which is why they use youtube videos and talk shows and by their own admission bespoke showreel demos for the various trade shows.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

My greatest failure in life was not being accepted into the guy's Org that wrote the 4th Stimpire text.

(He didn't reject me, just never accepted.)

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SomethingJones posted:

I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as a tech demo - which technology is it demonstrating exactly? Collision detection? Physics? Basic movement? Ship flight control and handling? Networking? Combat? AI? Procedural generation?
Because none of those work in Star Citizen and most of them were native to CryEngine in 2010.

The only way you can get any of the assets to look good in it is to screenshot a single frame before everything jitters and janks and distorts and breaks, then post it to twitter.

So no, it's not a tech demo and it's not even close to being at a stage were you can start asking people to find bugs, there isn't a phrase or term for what it is other than a scam. e: they can't even use it to raise funds which is why they use youtube videos and talk shows and by their own admission bespoke showreel demos for the various trade shows.

To me it is the earliest of early access. Early enough to ask for money and just enough that you can see your poo poo (well only a few ships) in game and view the jankiness of it all.
It is just enough there for dreams and spergs to show it can work and they can keep throwing money at it and point to as a defense.

And the shows just keep the spergs dreaming and moving the pvp slider. As people have said they really dont want things added in just enough to keep them dreaming and a simple foundation that it looks like it is being accomplished.
The shows keep feeding them and CR keeps delaying the jesus patches.

To me the hangar and the SM were the demo and the mvp is the PU. Is it good nope but just enough to keep the money flowing. I mean if you look at something like Starpoint Gemini 2 who do EA well or others SC is poo poo.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 13, 2018

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

They've got collision detection refined to perfection. Touch a ramp and you explode :colbert:

cwtch
Jul 27, 2017
Kale is not for everyone, ramp smoothies, on the other hand ...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Saladin Rising posted:

As I've said in my July blog before, the janky tech demo they have now seems to be the same as the one they started with. They've raised nearly 200 million dollars*, employed 400 people*, opened offices around the world, and have precisely nothing to show for it after five and a half YEARS. That's almost an achievement. Scammers would have made a better game by now, just to cover themselves.

* allegedly. I wouldn't trust CIG to tell me which way was up without getting it wrong and spending thousands of dollars gluing furniture to the ceiling to try and convince me.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Just because none of their tech works doesn't mean they can't demonstrate it. You're way too harsh on CIG. What did Chris Roberts ever do to you?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

If you must eat kale then at least cover your head with a towel so as to hide your shame from god.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

I wouldn't even call it a tech demo anymore, I'd say it's about 6 more major patches away from being a janky proof of concept nothingburger.

Fixed.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

no_recall posted:

CRoberts couldn't even code a "Hello World" app without making Windows blue screen.

Fixed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah but remember he changed the crash message in wing commander 1 or whatever to show 'thanks for playing'

Dude is a genius , And deserving of a new porsche every year ... ignore the haters Chris we still have your back !!

LOAF OUT

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

With 3.1 being dumped on the evocati, it’s occurred to me that this might set the pace for this year: 2 months coding and 1 months in testing if they want to follow through Erin’s ‘hell or high water’ promise.

With that in mind, that means that CIG have, essentially, 8 months to code every single planned feature in their roadmap for 2018. This is including ‘theoretical’ code like Object Container Streaming, Network bind/unbind, server meshing, etc. Not to mention that they have no way of knowing whether the game will break when they try to introduce larger planets like Hurston and that there’ll likely have to be a period following public release where they’ll have to fix bugs.

Something tells me that they’re going to miss quite a few targets this year.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Nanako the Narc posted:

With 3.1 being dumped on the evocati, it’s occurred to me that this might set the pace for this year: 2 months coding and 1 months in testing if they want to follow through Erin’s ‘hell or high water’ promise.

With that in mind, that means that CIG have, essentially, 8 months to code every single planned feature in their roadmap for 2018. This is including ‘theoretical’ code like Object Container Streaming, Network bind/unbind, server meshing, etc. Not to mention that they have no way of knowing whether the game will break when they try to introduce larger planets like Hurston and that there’ll likely have to be a period following public release where they’ll have to fix bugs.

Something tells me that they’re going to miss quite a few targets this year.

I truly believe that they won't even be able to stick to the quarterly patches, even if they keep pushing features to the following patch. They've pulled this kind of crap before.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lol if anyone thinks they will release anymore than 2 content rich latches before the dec

You're right they do this every year

Hey guys we will keep you updated with even More info and inside scoop like a real developer. Also we will be doing monthly patches so keep tuned into atv and rtv and all the other poo poo we produce

Also but more ships plz kthx

gently caress that I even had to type 'every year' is just disgusting , how do they keep shamblingtl this affront to good business practice forward

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Lol if anyone thinks they will release anymore than 2 content rich latches before the dec

You're right they do this every year

Hey guys we will keep you updated with even More info and inside scoop like a real developer. Also we will be doing monthly patches so keep tuned into atv and rtv and all the other poo poo we produce

Also but more ships plz kthx

gently caress that I even had to type 'every year' is just disgusting , how do they keep shamblingtl this affront to good business practice forward

Did you type this on a microwave

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Here's a handy list of all the ships jpegs and their real cash money prices.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_ship_and_vehicle_prices

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

I play star citizen on my microwave. 120fps heaven.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

RemindMe! 2 weeks

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Good Bot

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

New job opening at CIG as of the 7th of march for a senior systems designer.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/185-Senior-Systems-Designer

:lol::lol:

:thunk:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

--Be the “go to” person for the implementation of complex systems that stretch the capabilities of the engine and challenge the expectations of the players.

Yeah, considering what their expectations are...

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Amazing Zimmo posted:

New job opening at CIG as of the 7th of march for a senior systems designer.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/185-Senior-Systems-Designer

:lol::lol:

:thunk:

They threw up a new vacancy for a (wait for it) NETWORK PROGRAMMER for the UK office yesterday. Oh and a brand new senior props artist as well.

Network Programmer
Cloud Imperium Games - Manchester

Senior positions available.

Requirements
Strong C++ and multi-threaded programming skills
Experienced in TCP and UDP network programming
Online game development experience
Experience profiling and optimizing (network, CPU , memory, IO)
Development experience in Windows and Linux
A passion for making and playing games
Work well in a co-operative team environment
International travel may be required as part of the role
Pluses
MMO development experience
Experience with client/server development including security and network traffic management
CryEngine development experience
Space combat sim development experience
One or more shipped products, especially PC products

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought their Network guys were in Texas why would the UK staff need one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

Sorry that was me typing fast on my phone and not giving a poo poo to go back and correct it

It is the star citizen thread after all, why should I put any effort into my posting if cig don't put any effort into developing