Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/12/tsa-surveillance-laptops-cellphones-domestic-flights

quote:

There are a growing number of reports of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) searching the electronic devices of passengers on domestic flights in the US, according to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which has sued the federal agency for records.

The ACLU Foundation of Northern California filed a lawsuit against the TSA on Monday demanding that the government disclose its policies for searching the computers and cellphones of domestic travelers, arguing that anecdotal accounts have raised concerns about potential privacy invasions...

One woman who shared her story with the ACLU told the Guardian that in the last year, she had twice had her electronics searched while flying within California. The 64-year-old, who works in the not-for-profit sector and requested anonymity for fear that she could face further scrutiny from TSA, said that on one occasion last year, TSA agents pulled her aside to pat her down multiple times and eventually asked to see both her iPhones – a work and personal one.

The agents did not ask her to unlock the phones, but took them for at least 10 minutes out of her view, she said, adding that she quickly became distraught.

“I no longer had my phones, so there was no one I could contact,” she said, adding, “It just feels like an invasion of privacy, especially when they are not telling you what the problem is.”

The woman said on a recent trip, the TSA also briefly took her laptop, which was password protected... The ACLU said it had received no response to its public records requests sent in December 2017, forcing the group to file the lawsuit, which is seeking fairly basic policy documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Thanks for the link, gagelion. I’ll add it to the ol reading list.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I'm guessing this is gonna go as nowhere as any other complaints about the TSA being awful with some incredibly bullshit about plane's being an optional mode of transportation and it's fine for airports to demand you give up your rights to use them.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine instantly feeling helpless when you're out of reach of your cell phone, how loving doomed are future generations?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

Imagine instantly feeling helpless when you're out of reach of your cell phone, how loving doomed are future generations?

64 year old women.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is why my phone has a normal unlock code and an unlock code that wipes the memory. what an OP sec newb

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All smartphones and laptops are basically IEDs due to lithium ion batteries and shouldn't be allowed on the plane.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

this is why my phone has a normal unlock code and an unlock code that wipes the memory. what an OP sec newb

if a device goes out of your eyesight you have to assume it's been owned (implant installed)

so now NGO workers need burner laptops / phones for internal travel.

and it's blatantly illegal, which is unnerving.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

All smartphones and laptops are basically IEDs due to lithium ion batteries and shouldn't be allowed on the plane.

yeah but now only the bad guys have IEDs. the only thing that can stop a bad guy with an IED is a good guy with an IED

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Caganer posted:

yeah but now only the bad guys have IEDs. the only thing that can stop a bad guy with an IED is a good guy with an IED

I bet 9/11 wouldn't have happened if passengers just threw their Nokias at bad guys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

if a device goes out of your eyesight you have to assume it's been owned (implant installed)

i assume every electronic device already has listening software ordered to be included by the US government, and hardware level listening device built into the microchips by the communist chinese that made them :shrug:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

I bet 9/11 wouldn't have happened if passengers just threw their Nokias at bad guys.

Unfortunately Mark Wahlberg missed his flight

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-thinks-he-could-have-stopped-911.html

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

a bone to pick posted:

Nothing like a feeling of calm and serenity while law enforcement potentially conducts a warrantless search of your personal information.

I mean they were probably just putting it through some tests for explosives but it's pretty obvious why being repeatedly singled out for this without explanation would be distressing beyond just not having Candy Crush at hand.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've never had the opportunity to say "get a warrant buttfucker" and at this point I'm worried I've missed my chance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I fly a lot for work and have occasionally had my backpack searched. No big deal. I just wait at the search station, the agent brings it in front of me, and asks for permission to search it.

Once at Palm Beach Intl. an agent took my backpack off the conveyor before going through the x-ray machine and started rummaging through it, then put it through the conveyer with me standing right there like it was nothing. Nothing was missing, at least, but I would have put in a complaint if it wouldn't probably put me on some shitlist.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Volcott posted:

I've never had the opportunity to say "get a warrant buttfucker" and at this point I'm worried I've missed my chance.

A friend who works for a well known nonprofit told me to call him if I ever want to be a test case. Every time I go to the airport I pray they'll be dumb enough to gently caress with me.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

so now NGO workers need burner laptops / phones for internal travel.

and it's blatantly illegal, which is unnerving.

"Has your baggage been in your control the entire time?"

"Well not any more."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao this is the most internet tough guy thing I've read recently. loving actors.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Someone provide a hot take, i cannot read

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

I fly a lot for work and have occasionally had my backpack searched. No big deal. I just wait at the search station, the agent brings it in front of me, and asks for permission to search it.

Once at Palm Beach Intl. an agent took my backpack off the conveyor before going through the x-ray machine and started rummaging through it, then put it through the conveyer with me standing right there like it was nothing. Nothing was missing, at least, but I would have put in a complaint if it wouldn't probably put me on some shitlist.

i had the same, tried to complain to a supervisor but but he said "i'm on smoko, so leave me alone!" :mad:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Someone provide a hot take, i cannot read

privileged snowflake cries when TSA takes her phone away, compares it to rape.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao this is the most internet tough guy thing I've read recently. loving actors.

yeah but the apology is gold:

quote:

Update: Wahlberg has issued an apology:
“To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with, and to suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible. I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention.”

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Shout out if you have a flagged passport due to bringing too many electronics and batteries through the Chunnel! I mean I can see how it looked suspicious in the X ray but come on, the full body scanner at LAX and the extra searches at every airport I've been to since then have not been fun. Since the Chunnel thing, I've had to prove functionality of every electronic device I have taken through security too. I even had UK customs ask me about any computer repairs I may have done while in their country.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rutibex posted:

They can just clone your hard drive and do whatever NSA chicanery they did on the San Bernardino shooters phone.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Dmitri-9 posted:

They can just clone your hard drive and do whatever NSA chicanery they did on the San Bernardino shooters phone.

calm down chuck. all they can do is make a bunch of images to get around the "10 tries then it wipes" limit. from there it's all brute force. if you have a good password they're hosed

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Unless you're using some very non standard equipment (like some kinda hardware level locks on storage if they even exist in a meaningful way), once someone has physical access to your device, it takes almost no effort to clone the hard drive. You could encrypt it, yeah, but you're probably better off not taking anything with a wealth of personal data overseas :shrug:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hmmmm a 5 digit numeric password, you'd need some kind of supercomputer running for 1000 years to brute force that

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, anyone who travels even moderately should do TSA Precheck.

I usually just sail through security and get to keep my belt, shoes, and watch on. :cool:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Have they asked tsa not to do that thing?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, anyone who travels even moderately should do TSA Precheck.

I usually just sail through security and get to keep my belt, shoes, and watch on. :cool:

Extended random screenings are really the last bastion of cottaging, so i think i will pass

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Skeleton Ape posted:

Hmmmm a 5 digit numeric password, you'd need some kind of supercomputer running for 1000 years to brute force that

try a 10+ character mnemonic with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols :smug:

don't dox me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Caganer posted:

calm down chuck. all they can do is make a bunch of images to get around the "10 tries then it wipes" limit. from there it's all brute force. if you have a good password they're hosed

I really don't think NSA relies on brute force approach to most common encryption methods. There are likely backdoors to some, and tricks to others. Most people don't bother with super complicated passwords so basic rainbow tables might even do the trick.

Then again, most people don't password protect poo poo either so :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just make an image of your phone memory and upload it to some cloud service. travel with no SIM card (buy a new one where your going) and have the phone in factory reset state. you can restore it once you arrive.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit: wrong thread

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Caganer posted:

try a 10+ character mnemonic with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols :smug:

don't dox me.

Hold on I’m talking on my cellular telephone. Let me hang it up and put it in my pocket fanny pack purse daypack. What now what were you saying?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Skeleton Ape posted:

there must be like a hundred thousand combinations

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

just make an image of your phone memory and upload it to some cloud service. travel with no SIM card (buy a new one where your going) and have the phone in factory reset state. you can restore it once you arrive.

put my files in the CLOUD? are you insane? have you heard of prism?

all my backups go to usbs i control, or into a veracrypt volume and THAT goes into the :airquote:cloud:airquote:

Colonel Cancer posted:

I really don't think NSA relies on brute force approach to most common encryption methods. There are likely backdoors to some, and tricks to others. Most people don't bother with super complicated passwords so basic rainbow tables might even do the trick.

Then again, most people don't password protect poo poo either so :shrug:

the nsa are a bunch of idiots whose only saving grace are a huge budget and they don't have LEOs trying to hunt them down when they do skiddie poo poo.

they have to buy their exploits from guys like me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

put my files in the CLOUD? are you insane? have you heard of prism?

all my backups go to usbs i control, or into a veracrypt volume and THAT goes into the :airquote:cloud:airquote:

there is to much data on the cloud for them to look at it all. you only need to worry about PRISM if you are on the list. if you suspect you're on the list you shouldn't be traveling by plane anyway, and you should own no electronics made after 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

there is to much data on the cloud for them to look at it all. you only need to worry about PRISM if you are on the list. if you suspect you're on the list you shouldn't be traveling by plane anyway, and you should own no electronics made after 1998

lol ok buddy

• Locked thread