Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So my dad has a laptop he wants to send to a friend, but he wants to remove Windows 10 from it, because it Win10 doesn't seem to perform very well on it. His intent was to install an earlier version of Windows 7 on it, but he only has a upgrade disc for 7.

He's tried downloading Ubuntu and burning it to a disc to install, but it hasn't allowed him to run it. I've looked online briefly, but all I can find in terms of removing Windows 10 is in regards to reverting it back to Windows 7/8.1 if you upgraded. Otherwise, it seems like the only thing you can do is a clean install.

I can't figure out how to just reformat the drive, or if it's even possible to do with Window 10. We have a copy of Windows XP (which he can't seem to directly downgrade to), but I think his idea was to install Windows XP and then use the Win7 upgrade disc. He's sort of opposed to just buying a copy of Windows 7.

Is there a quick and easy way I can wipe Win10 from the drive and make it so he can install Ubuntu or XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Max Wilco posted:

So my dad has a laptop he wants to send to a friend, but he wants to remove Windows 10 from it, because it Win10 doesn't seem to perform very well on it. His intent was to install an earlier version of Windows 7 on it, but he only has a upgrade disc for 7.

He's tried downloading Ubuntu and burning it to a disc to install, but it hasn't allowed him to run it. I've looked online briefly, but all I can find in terms of removing Windows 10 is in regards to reverting it back to Windows 7/8.1 if you upgraded. Otherwise, it seems like the only thing you can do is a clean install.

I can't figure out how to just reformat the drive, or if it's even possible to do with Window 10. We have a copy of Windows XP (which he can't seem to directly downgrade to), but I think his idea was to install Windows XP and then use the Win7 upgrade disc. He's sort of opposed to just buying a copy of Windows 7.

Is there a quick and easy way I can wipe Win10 from the drive and make it so he can install Ubuntu or XP?

You'll need to boot the PC from the XP disc (if that's what you have) and then in the setup format the hard drive for a clean install. You can't install Windows XP from Win10.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did your dad have this laptop upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? If so, just have it to a fresh install of Windows 10. It will work a lot better. Here's how - https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Much better to install fresh Windows 10 instead of going back to 7. Windows activation servers will recognize the PC if you reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

Click "Download Tool Now" at this link to get a utility that'll put the Windows 10 installer on a USB drive for you: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been meaning to pass the suggestions on to him, but it looks like he figured it out already.

What he did was install Window 8.1, and from there he was able to boot and install Ubuntu and clear the Windows partition.

Thanks again, though, to everyone who replied. Sorry I couldn't offer more details, and that I didn't reply back sooner.

• Locked thread