Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want to see more cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fister Roboto posted:

If someone accidentally mouses over a spoiler tag and stays on it long enough to actually read anything of substance, that's entirely on them. I can understand not wanting to be spoiled, but this is ridiculously hypersensitive.

The OP says shut up about the books. Go to the book thread or whatever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

No.

While we're all helpfully passing out suggestions here's one: read the loving OP.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

AlternateAccount posted:

Putting this right up top this time, since last year it got a little stupid.
/!\ Please be cool about book stuff. /!\
Keep it in its own thread. If a singular, unconnected event has occurred in the show, let's be cool about discussing how it was different in the book. Don't discuss poo poo that could possibly spoiler future events. It's not that hard.

Or just read the dang OP.

Anyway, I need more Avasarala, Amos and Alex in my life. Also Anderson Dawes. And Bobbie. And belter-bro whose name I can't recall.

...basically everybody but Holden, I guess!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ATP_Power posted:

I'm just worried that Diogo is going to take up the slingshot club life as a break from being an OPA rumbler.

diogo crush rear end to dust

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
spoiler: there are books

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

spoiler: there are books

Dude can you please use spoiler tags? Or better yet just leave it out of the thread?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm totally fine with not talking about the books. I just think it's extremely stupid that people can't even handle spoiler tags.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, the OP says to "be cool" about book spoilers and the TVIV rules don't ban these kinds of discussions, but if you all want to be huge cry babies about even properly labeled spoilers for a show whose source material has been out for nearly a decade, put THAT in the OP and state that it is probateable and convince the mods to make two threads like GoT: one for idiots who have no self-control and a good one for normals.

It's kind of like that part in book 4 when Holden there is no part in book 4, if you don't want to be spoiled and are reading this you are the reason we can't have nice things.

The alternative is we can come up with reasonable ground rules about spoiler tags and be adults about it, but don't pretend like two-thirds of the thread can just waltz over to TBB and poo poo up the book thread with show speculation. :rolleyes:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Or just don't be an rear end, and keep book discussion to the book thread.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Or just don't be an rear end, and keep book discussion to the book thread.

I spoilered something that was in the trailer, you can clearly see it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That certainly seems likely since we saw ~some~ kind of planet-shattering explosion in the trailer and it seems unlikely that it would be Miller's World.

I think it's way more likely to be Holden's vision of the demise of the Protomolecule creators

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Let's also not pretend that TBB thread is for the show... :crossarms:
It kind of is though. The books come out once a year. The only book discussion going on is going to be speculation about how they'll be adapted.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Avasarala is Julie Mao after the protomolecule alters her and sends her back in time.

E: spoiler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just think it's extremely stupid that people can't even handle spoiler tags.
If it was an occasional thing it would be fine, but it isn't. The entire thread turns into page after page of black bars. It's obnoxious. This thread is for the TV show. There's another thread for the books. Is that such a difficult concept for you?

convince the mods to make two threads
Anyone can post a thread. You don't need to be a moderator. If you want a thread about the show but in which everyone just talks about the books the whole time, make one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Here is a spoiler thread. Mainly because I liked the title idea I had too much.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Fister Roboto posted:

oh no people are having a mild discussion about something

somebody call the mods!!!
another thrilling page of mild discussion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did the smash rear end kid's uncle flinging rocks at mars like a giant shotgun ever get brought up again?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
We can talk about more practical things, like if I'm in Canada, is there a decent way to watch it without a cable sub? Anything that's in 4K?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did the smash rear end kid's uncle flinging rocks at mars like a giant shotgun ever get brought up again?

If I recall correctly, he was aiming for an MCRN ship, and it ended poorly for him.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

He winged the martians and they shot a torpedo at him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the Martians killed him and Diogo was thereby radicalized and became an OPA militant.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, the Martians killed him and Diogo was thereby radicalized and became an OPA militant.

Which makes perfect sense: Earthcorp S-H kicks him off of his water racket, and de facto off his home Ceres. Then the Martian Navy essentially sentences him and his uncle to death for a paperwork violation, leaving him floating in the black for who-knows-how-long. If humans live on a planet, they seem to figure out a way to screw Diogo...

Who wouldn't go all neck-tat OPA? :jihad:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

In a later scene (I think it's after they get on the Tachi, and Alex is watching the Martian news) there's a report on in the background referencing Diogo's uncle getting killed but it's framed as the Martian frigate being attacked by OPA terrorists and them destroying the ship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Diogo should have stayed away from the Auga.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

AirborneNinja posted:

He winged the martians and they shot a torpedo at him.

Was it the very same episode? God drat I must have missed it completely. Twice!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it the very same episode? God drat I must have missed it completely. Twice!

This is because for all its greatness The Expanse can't figure out how to make its muddy looking space scenes legible.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

At least in Season 1 a lot of stuff is really dark and hard to parse, I don't recall season 2 having any issues.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PriorMarcus posted:

This is because for all its greatness The Expanse can't figure out how to make its muddy looking space scenes legible.

I think the documentary-style SFX doesn't work as well on The Expanse as they did on :bsg: because that was the whole cinematography gimmick for Galactica. Since they do more traditional camera work in most of the show it just doesn't gel all of the time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

We can talk about more practical things, like if I'm in Canada, is there a decent way to watch it without a cable sub? Anything that's in 4K?

noooope

for better or for worse BSG seems to have set off a need for a lot of sci fi shows to use shaky cam in space scenes.

It led to some pretty memorable scenes though: resurrection ship part 2, escaping new caprica, the resurrection hub. too bad about the final episodes making GBS threads the bed.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 13, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dreylad posted:

noooope

for better or for worse BSG seems to have set off a need for a lot of sci fi shows to use shaky cam in space scenes.

It led to some pretty memorable scenes though: resurrection ship part 2, escaping new caprica, the resurrection hub. too bad about the final episodes making GBS threads the bed.

Final episodes making GBS threads the bed is hardly the fault of shaky-cam though.

Not sure what Expanse should do for space combat scenes. The books always conveyed a sense of claustrophobia and lack of solid situational awareness. You got the perspective of the crew members dealing with the limited intel they can get off sensors, not a Star Wars WW2 aerial battle recreation or BSG shaky-cam showing how the vipers are doing.

Ideally, space scenes should be from the perspective of people outside the ship, like Miller's view from Eros or Prax's view of the battle above Ganymeade. As annoying as the scene was otherwise (HOLDEN JUST SO ANGRY!!!!), the Roci hunting down the protomonster was pretty well done.

Of course, for a remote space battle, having everything be dictated by Alex would be pretty boring and come across as hilariously cheap. So...yeah. Get used to shakycam I guess.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I would not call the Expanses cinematography shaky-cam in the slightest.

https://i.imgur.com/XJvkJH7.gifv

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

I would not call the Expanses cinematography shaky-cam in the slightest.

https://i.imgur.com/XJvkJH7.gifv

Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the shaky can critiques. Like... not really? Sometimes the zoom effect they use is a little.. weird, but shaky cam is like Blair Witch or Cloverfield poo poo.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Yeah the only time I remember thinking the camerawork was a little shoddy is in the S1 finale, which is my least favorite episode in the entire series. I just figured they ran out of budget

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Season 2 is way better agreed, I just think of the donnager fight sequence feeling pretty incoherent.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pander posted:

Not sure what Expanse should do for space combat scenes. The books always conveyed a sense of claustrophobia and lack of solid situational awareness. You got the perspective of the crew members dealing with the limited intel they can get off sensors, not a Star Wars WW2 aerial battle recreation or BSG shaky-cam showing how the vipers are doing.

Ideally, space scenes should be from the perspective of people outside the ship, like Miller's view from Eros or Prax's view of the battle above Ganymeade.

If they were following the books' portrayal of combat, the distances and speeds involved would be too great for a third party looking out a window or something to see much of anything besides maybe some drive plumes. There are a couple of instances of close-quarters combat where things are (relatively) nearby and moving in similar directions, but most of the time, even on one of the combatant ships, naked-eye observation would pretty much go from "everything's fine so far" to "oh poo poo everything's in pieces" in the blink of an eye. I think there are ways to make that sort of long-distance battle compelling, but it's hard to make it look as engaging as a dogfight.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toast Museum posted:

If they were following the books' portrayal of combat, the distances and speeds involved would be too great for a third party looking out a window or something to see much of anything besides maybe some drive plumes. There are a couple of instances of close-quarters combat where things are (relatively) nearby and moving in similar directions, but most of the time, even on one of the combatant ships, naked-eye observation would pretty much go from "everything's fine so far" to "oh poo poo everything's in pieces" in the blink of an eye. I think there are ways to make that sort of long-distance battle compelling, but it's hard to make it look as engaging as a dogfight.

The sad thing is I find it much more compelling to view those sequences from the character's perspective, making the "how to render it" problem moot. The expanse has plenty of CQB set pieces where they can do more traditional pewpew. Trying to shoehorn the sfx shots into everything else is what makes it jarring for me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
ShakyCam in BSG led to the best moment in Sci-Fi history. ZOOM IN ON THE COCK

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

rewatching season 1, what was Jules-Pierre Mao planning to do with the stealth ships? Before the protomolecule became his obsession. Was he planning to build a private space empire with his own military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

double nine posted:

rewatching season 1, what was Jules-Pierre Mao planning to do with the stealth ships? Before the protomolecule became his obsession. Was he planning to build a private space empire with his own military?

I think he was simply planning to sell them to Earth. Earth had been illegally building stealth ships ready for war. The Protomolecule changed plans and Mao used the ships he had built.