Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

Sounds like you fear the wurst.

And the wurst is yet to cum !

Saladin Rising posted:

We joke about how CIG and the backers love to revise how long it's been since work "started" on Star Citizen, but goddamn it really is amazing seeing the real start date spelled out in black and white. CIG have been loving around for 5 1/2 years and still have nothing but a janky tech demo to show for it.

And a law suit.. Remember the law suit .

Baldness fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

"Scripted events for Star Citizen?" Wtf? What happened to AI indistinguishable from human players!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtyZzO5OrE0&t=303s

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Omg I dead

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen | Erin Roberts Interview Uncut March 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8&t=940s

Q:
Can you tell me more about the current target for players on the server by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
We are gonna be... ehm... we are gonna be... first off we wanna see how much one server can handle, so obviously we went from 24 to 50 now, we've improved the ability in... as we said now... as we optimise and cache our locations a little bit better, ah... ehrm... you know... for that... for that sort of STUFF... and also a lot of, uhm, WORK going on in the codebase to optimise that to make sure the, you know, there's...

Uhm... the... the... something like OBJECT CONTAINER STREAMING is great for CLIENT, for a SERVER... the SERVER has to know about EVERYTHING anyway. Now it doesn't need to... it doesn't... physically need to have, you know... it needs... it... it... there's some information it DOESN'T need, so it needs to know... but it needs to know EVERYTHING... where EVERYBODY is, it needs to know, you know, uhm... you know, you know... you know... some of the PHYSICS SITUATIONS for that but it doesn't need, it doesn't need to DRAW anything but it needs to understand that kind of stuff, the problem is you're doing the whole server for a LOT of people, it's doing a lot of CALCULATIONS and so forth

Well actually not a lot of calculations and actually when the servers aren't hitting these EDGE CASES they're actually pretty good shape, so we're seeing that we know that actually they can HANDLE IT, but there are some bugs... that's what I'm saying, in the next FEW WEEKS we really wanna... if we can, you know, if we can knock ONE OR TWO out of the park and fix those that'll be better for everybody, ehmmm... but...

...ehr... ehrm... you know in ter... in... sorry, uh, the QUESTION, going back to the...

Q:
What's your TARGET for number of players in a server by the end of the year? Blue skies thinking, I'm not going to hold you to it.

Erin Roberts:
We would LIKE to, I mean, you know, we're pushing hard, we want to get to about a HUNDRED people, ahm, you know if we can do that... uhrm... and then, um... and then of course when the SERVER MESHING comes online then they'll be DYNAMIC in terms of... of, you know, depend... it... it'll be... LOCATION SPECIFIC because you could have a server that is basically managing a ROOM, and if it's just basically an ARENA or just people wandering around in an FPS you could probably, the server could probably manage a lot more than 100.

But if the server's managing an area of space, when you've got SHIPS which are basically... got lots of moving parts, lots of stuff going on, maybe you have, maybe you can't handle so many.

So this is where we use the server POWER to say, 'uh, this is what this server will handle', and the server will handle anything from a SYSTEM down to a ROOM and... and so, you know... if we if all of a sudden, you know, your whole GUILD decides to trundle in, into... in to... to meet up in one PLACE then we can just say, 'OK, we better make one SERVER just handle that SITUATION', and then when you walk out of that place and it transfers to another server because that's the rate that... you know the... the WALKWAY outside, so...

That's the way it's going to work.

So I think we're going to have... when we say that we're trying to get the server meshing going, we'll have RUDIMENTS of it HOPEFULLY working by the end of the year, but the FULL thing working PROPERLY will not be until... until NEXT YEAR.

Q:
Is there a POTENTIAL that you will have thousands of players in a SHARD by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
Ummm... I...

I'm not... sure...

We'll see...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Was the 40 person skype meeting an exaggeration?

Star Citizen: Raid Boss Meetings

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Bored Gamer: Blue skies thinking, I'm not going to hold you to it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8&t=605s

Q:
Is there going to be something this year, potentially, that makes me SIT DOWN with other people that don't know about the Star Citizen project and go, 'Let's play this for a long period of time', what are these gameplay hooks going to be, is it going to be something that we can do this year? Or is it something that someone outside the project might want to do later?

Erin Roberts:
I guess it depends what you want to be, I mean I'm sure that a lot of the guys that are with us now enjoy building it and playing it as it goes along and so forth... so, ehm, you know... I think, ehrm, you know... uhr... for me, 3.1 is about, you know, a lot of um... a lot of POLISH, em, you know, OPTIMISATION and work and stuff and that'll go on through the year and so forth

With 3.2, which will be JUNE, uhm, then... uhm... so outside of CARGO which obviously we'll put work into that and POLISHING for 3.1, you'll then, you know, other people can start, you know, start using some of the SHIPS they have, like, you know, uhm... you know... where they can actually go and... and MINE, or they can use, they can go RECLAIM goods so those mechanics will come in

So I think if... I think with the JUNE, you know the JUNE UPDATE which will also have some other stuff in there, that'll get a lot more gameplay mechanics in...

3.2 is JUNE. And basically... and THAT is gonna introduce a bunch of game mechanics which I think will make those whole... the... the AREA of CRUSADER, you know... the AREA... that we're IN... CRUSADER, is basically gonna be a lot more fun, lots more stuff going on.

The big JUMP for us is going to come with OBJECT CONTAINER STREAMING. That at the moment is due to come online, ah, you know, in SEPTEMBER in 3.3.

What that gives us is the ability to create the WHOLE SYSTEM. And once you have one system, you know like pretty much, you know... it's not just, you know, like, you know... THREE MOONS AND A GAS GIANT sort of thing and a space station, when you've actually got the PLANETS.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8&t=605s

Q:
Is there going to be something this year, potentially, that makes me SIT DOWN with other people that don't know about the Star Citizen project and go, 'Let's play this for a long period of time', what are these gameplay hooks going to be, is it going to be something that we can do this year? Or is it something that someone outside the project might want to do later?

Erin Roberts:
I guess it depends what you want to be, I mean I'm sure that a lot of the guys that are with us now enjoy building it and playing it as it goes along and so forth... so, ehm, you know... I think, ehrm, you know... uhr... for me, 3.1 is about, you know, a lot of um... a lot of POLISH, em, you know, OPTIMISATION and work and stuff and that'll go on through the year and so forth

With 3.2, which will be JUNE, uhm, then... uhm... so outside of CARGO which obviously we'll put work into that and POLISHING for 3.1, you'll then, you know, other people can start, you know, start using some of the SHIPS they have, like, you know, uhm... you know... where they can actually go and... and MINE, or they can use, they can go RECLAIM goods so those mechanics will come in

So I think if... I think with the JUNE, you know the JUNE UPDATE which will also have some other stuff in there, that'll get a lot more gameplay mechanics in...

3.2 is JUNE. And basically... and THAT is gonna introduce a bunch of game mechanics which I think will make those whole... the... the AREA of CRUSADER, you know... the AREA... that we're IN... CRUSADER, is basically gonna be a lot more fun, lots more stuff going on.

The big JUMP for us is going to come with OBJECT CONTAINER STREAMING. That at the moment is due to come online, ah, you know, in SEPTEMBER in 3.3.

What that gives us is the ability to create the WHOLE SYSTEM. And once you have one system, you know like pretty much, you know... it's not just, you know, like, you know... THREE MOONS AND A GAS GIANT sort of thing and a space station, when you've actually got the PLANETS.

Jesus christ so they have nothing planned to show until June, and we all know that will get pushed into the next patch which is September... what the gently caress else are they doing for the next 3 months?

Besides everything he is mumbling about was SUPPOSED to be already released

I simply can't wrap my head around the constant 'next patch' redirection they keep spewing out, even Erin who everyone thought was the GOOD brother is just spouting bullshit same as Chris knowing it is lie upon lie

Also

Star Citizen: Ummm... I... .. I'm not... sure...We'll see...

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I would't be surprised if CIG did try to use a microwave as a solution to their problems somehow.
If you enter a cooktime of 90 you will cook longer than if you input a cooktime of 120. I think the math is better solved by an ideas guy, but I do think there is something workable for CIG here.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

Q:
Is there a POTENTIAL that you will have thousands of players in a SHARD by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
Ummm... I...

I'm not... sure...

We'll see...

This is unreal. Was Bored purposely throwing him a question thats such an easy "No" that he's trying to see if they are even capable of saying it.

The answer is no Erin. You wont get a shard with thousands of players in the game this year. You wont get it next year either. You wont get it a year after that

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I get the feeling the Roberts's have just been brought up to never say no to anything, maybe it was instilled in them from a young age by their dad

"Do you want more pie? You're looking a bit green"

"err umm well... maybe"

"Do you think this dress makes me look fat?"

"umm umm errrrr well it is a lovely color"

"Do you really need this limited edition Porsche?"

"YES!"

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 13, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
In case anybody isn't taking the time to actually comprehend what Erin is talking about regarding the networking and server meshing, what he has outlined is a server per area, with a server hosting a room or an area or a portion of space. These will be instanced and 'walled off' (Erin's example about the walkway) so areas will be separated by a hard transition, like a doorway for example.

The instances will not be talking to each other despite the fantasies of backers, their server mesh is a bunch of hard instanced CryEngine maps and servers will spool up, load the exe, handshake and transfer data when you move from one to the next.

That's what Erin has just explained, that's your networking, that's what they are saying is targeted for next year. That's your MMO, hard server instances separated by 'walkways'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought their Network guys were in Texas why would the UK staff need one

They don't speak Texan.

SomethingJones posted:

In case anybody isn't taking the time to actually comprehend what Erin is talking about regarding the networking and server meshing, what he has outlined is a server per area, with a server hosting a room or an area or a portion of space. These will be instanced and 'walled off' (Erin's example about the walkway) so areas will be separated by a hard transition, like a doorway for example.

The instances will not be talking to each other despite the fantasies of backers, their server mesh is a bunch of hard instanced CryEngine maps and servers will spool up, load the exe, handshake and transfer data when you move from one to the next.

That's what Erin has just explained, that's your networking, that's what they are saying is targeted for next year. That's your MMO, hard server instances separated by 'walkways'.

Imma gonna call them 'loading screens'.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

Service Beacons sound iffy for 3.1... (They may get patched in to anlater 3.1 build... or not.)

It's going to be cool when 3.1 drops and it's just a delayed 3.0 feature and a few ships.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is unreal. Was Bored purposely throwing him a question thats such an easy "No" that he's trying to see if they are even capable of saying it.

The answer is no Erin. You wont get a shard with thousands of players in the game this year. You wont get it next year either. You wont get it a year after that

To be fair to the guy asking the questions - these were good questions and the first sign I've seen of of a SC content creator holding CIG's feet to the fire a bit. I appreciate the transcripts are a loving riot, but you can in fact grasp what they're trying to do.

Erin's long pause when asked about a single shard with 1,000 players - well it depends what you mean by 'single shard', CIG have just moved the goalposts for 'server mesh' and finally admitted that areas will be instanced right down to an individual room in which they reckon they can push the player count to 100. Well in theory you can push the player count to whatever you want, that doesn't mean that it's going to remain playable or stable.

Now those instances can't talk to each other (except in a slow transactional way) because they are each an instance of a headless server exe on a server, they are each protected from each other by the OS. So when room A and room B are in separate exes, you can't see what's in the other room even if there's a window right there.

Chris's fantasy was that you could share player data in realtime between the instances, and in fact he went as far to say that you could translate bullets from one to the other. This is what he sold as the genesis of his Server Mesh idea.

Now Chris will tell you that's all still on the table, that's all long term stuff, but there are hard physical network limits that are so fundamental and well known that guys who work with this stuff know the numbers and the formulae off the top of their heads. Asp Explorer, the network guru on the FDev forum jokes about CIG needing to get the fibre reaching the rack of every Star Citizen client.

CIG's network guy in Manchester is talking about ping times and finding central geographical locations for servers to reduce latencies, Chris Roberts is talking about server instances communicating with each other and THEN updating hundreds of clients with updates on each of the other hundreds of clients at 30hz in loving CryEngine, and a network bloke in a thread at the arse end of the Frontier forum is wiresharking the client and laughing his rear end off at all of it.

Erin's answer to the networking questions is a dose of reality that will be impossible to grasp for pretty much all backers because it's embedded within a word salad and requires at least some level of actual working experience in the field.

The follow up question to the 'walkway' transition between instances would naturally be one of latency and of 'seeing' beyond the instance, but that would require anyone who is supportive of this project to have the slightest loving clue about technology.

Erin is relying on the fast babbling of his words and the ignorance of his audience to keep them on board for another 6 months, he knows exactly what he's doing, make no mistake about that.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

I'm currently looking for the escapist rant from CR, anyone have a copy?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

That's exactly right, there isn't any other way for them to do it. The server instances will hand off to each other via a background process (I forget what their bg persistence process is called) or a database transaction. Now you have players coming and going between instances, and you still have to send updates to all the other players connected to your instance - and NOW the new instance has to update all of its clients with the new player in its instance - and it's doing all this at 30hz remember?

So once you have more than ONE SINGLE PLAYER moving between the instances your comms goes up exponentially in exactly the same way it would if you had everyone in the same single instance to begin with. The physical server is going to be saturated regardless of how many instances it's running, you've the same number of sockets, you've the same bandwidth, you've the same limitations, you've the same number of players to update at the same speed of 30hz.

So every time you go through the walkway to get into the next instance, you better pray there isn't a player with a high ping on the other side trying to do the same thing, or 20 players trying to do the same thing, or a hundred players constantly coming and going throughout rooms or into and out of buildings because all of it is using standard CryEngine networking and CIG's infantile plan to deal with latencies isn't to use some form of matchmaking - it's to laughably and embarrassingly look at having servers in central geographical locations to average out everyone's latency.

Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tokamak posted:

It's going to be cool when 3.1 drops and it's just a delayed 3.0 feature and a few ships.

It certainly puts a fine point on things.

Yet even facing the possibility of that, even after that hardly coherent session with Erin, Bored left the session saying he was at an “8 out of 10” on the Hype Meter. He is heard explicitly asking for “Blue Sky Thinking” because goodness knows that’s exactly what the project needs more of right now...

I’m not sure he even got it, yet he left the visit recharged and like the Evangelist he is eager to spread the good news he didn’t seem to get.

The more things (don’t) change the more they stay the same...

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

They don't speak Texan.

Actually on second thought I think the best thing CIG can do here is just drop the player into a lobby screen when they leave the ship, until it finds a server they can join to get into the loving lift

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Streetroller posted:

I'm currently looking for the escapist rant from CR, anyone have a copy?

https://archive.is/33W9O

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

BoredgamerUK: Is there going to be something this year, potentially, that makes me SIT DOWN with other people that don't know about the Star Citizen project and go, 'Let's play this for a long period of time', what are these gameplay hooks going to be, is it going to be something that we can do this year? Or is it something that someone outside the project might want to do later?

I don't know enough about Scientology to make fun of it, but reading this actually scared me.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

There are hooks. The main one is:

I waited 7 minutes for the game to load and my ship spawned without doors. I tried again, and the server crashed. Then I loaded again. I am going to get -some- entertainment out of this thing otherwise I'll go to bed feeling like I just got raped.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Pure unadulterated fantasy, at some point these backers are going to have to come to terms with the fact that no amount of money can turn CryEngine into an MMO. Certain not by CIG's hand.

Even if it was possible to stitch a thousand different areas together via loadscreens, it still isn't a game. They probably could have gotten further modding Counter Strike. The foundation betrayed them before they even built the frame.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Virtual Captain posted:

I don't know enough about Scientology to make fun of it, but reading this actually scared me.

they're scared of clam ghosts.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Virtual Captain posted:

The foundation betrayed them before they even built the frame.

A Grover Game, if you would.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Lets rub!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Latest EA usage stats inferred from leaderboards:

Star Marine: 3.8 concurrent players on average, 153.0 unique players/day
Arena Commander*: 2.9 concurrent players on average, 72.6 unique players/day
Murray Cup: 0.7 concurrent players on average, 28.8 unique players/day
Total: 7.4 concurrent players, 226.0 unique players/day

(*) Footnote: Squadron Battle leaderboards have not updated since March 3. Perhaps no games have been played? The previous update had Squadron Battle limping along at a 0.03 concurrent player average, with 16 uniques/day, so it's basically a rounding error.

For the reporting period ending March 13:

Star Marine: 3.2 concurrent, 157.0 uniques/day
Arena Commander: 2.6 concurrent, 72.5 uniques/day
Murray Cup: 0.8 concurrent, 34.5 uniques/day
Total: 6.6 concurrent, 233.7 uniques/day

The Squadron Battle leaderboard last updated on March 10 after about a week of not updating. The total number of unique players registered in this weeklong period was 7, for an average of 1 per day. These 7 players, on average, logged 10 minutes each in Squadron Battle that week.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

boviscopophobic posted:

The Squadron Battle leaderboard last updated on March 10 after about a week of not updating. The total number of unique players registered in this weeklong period was 7, for an average of 1 per day. These 7 players, on average, logged 10 minutes each in Squadron Battle that week.

Everyone has been playing sataball instead

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

boviscopophobic posted:

It's still in alpha. Obviously players are waiting for the optimized patch which is coming soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

To network with Texas.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Colostomy Bag posted:

My greatest failure in life was not being accepted into the guy's Org that wrote the 4th Stimpire text.

(He didn't reject me, just never accepted.)

So....what you are saying is there is still hope!!!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

G0RF posted:

Bored left the session saying he was at an “8 out of 10” on the Hype Meter.

Bored Gamer is the most gullible person I’ve seen in all my years of internetting.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SomethingJones posted:

They threw up a new vacancy for a (wait for it) NETWORK PROGRAMMER for the UK office yesterday. Oh and a brand new senior props artist as well.

Network Programmer
Cloud Imperium Games - Manchester

Senior positions available.

Requirements
Strong C++ and multi-threaded programming skills
Experienced in TCP and UDP network programming
Online game development experience
Experience profiling and optimizing (network, CPU , memory, IO)
Development experience in Windows and Linux
A passion for making and playing games
Work well in a co-operative team environment
International travel may be required as part of the role
Pluses
MMO development experience
Experience with client/server development including security and network traffic management
CryEngine development experience
Space combat sim development experience
One or more shipped products, especially PC products

"We only want CryEngine development experience so our developers can see how BAD it would be IF we were still using CryEngine! NOT THAT ANYONE USES CRYENGINE AROUND THESE PARTS, NO SIREE."

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: ..... You know ....

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

They could probably get a reasonable amount of their crazy-complex game systems working, if they would drop the multiplayer part.
Just make it an offline universe sim populated with NPCs with all calculation running on the client. It would still be a massively complicated project to realize, but at least technically doable. Most backers would probably be happy with it (B'tak would love it) and they could still dangle the MMO carrot as as future extension to keep the hype.

Of course they painted themselves into the MMO corner long ago, but it's still mind-boggling what could have been done with all that manpower and $$$.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
If you are one of the admittedly probably one people that wanted the cocktail mixing mini-game in Star Citizen, what has been your experience so far with regards to that feature? Were the crashes and the fact that the feature is missing to your satisfaction?
Why don't you refund and gently caress off so Crobbler can finally remove your stupid virtual dream-job that is holding him back and finally focus in making the best space game he is destined to make at some point?

But seriously, if the backers who backed for the thousands of extras that are yet to be implemented have all refunded, is there any point in still pursuing those extras?
Crobbler! Just wait until all the backers who wanted an MMO get a refund, then make your epic SQ42 untethered from all the hairy bullshit.
Or! Start encouraging people to get a refund! Noone will see that one coming. Not even you-know-who. Check mate goons. And mic drop.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
The gently caress is wrong with the thread...

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think that's the network infrastructure and operations people. The ones making the various servers and services necessary to keep everything running, handling deployments, authorization/login servers, databases, etc. The position in the UK is for a programmer to work on the game network engine. There is some coordination needed, but it's not an unreasonable division of labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mr Fronts posted:

"We only want CryEngine development experience so our developers can see how BAD it would be IF we were still using CryEngine! NOT THAT ANYONE USES CRYENGINE AROUND THESE PARTS, NO SIREE."

I'm betting that if they'd put just "Lumberyard" there, they would not even have any use for the people who would apply for it.
Because you know. Star Citizen is not really in Lumberyard.