Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Roman Reigns is...
This poll is closed.
the NEW People's Champion 2 1.77%
the voice of the voiceless, the new CM Punk 11 9.73%
Vince McMahon's nemesis who Vince definitely doesn't favor in any way 19 16.81%
also wondering why there was a cameraman in the women's lockerroom 47 41.59%
THE BIG DOG! 34 30.09%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Even if we temporarily ignore Moolah's horrible deeds there's also the problem that as a wrestler she loving sucked and set women's wrestling back decades. It's not a complicated legacy or something like that, particularly in the history of the WWF where she was around for a few years stinking up the joint. By that time she was already this person you were told you were supposed to pay attention to but she did nothing to earn that.

Like I don't even know why they're gung ho on supporting her. You could ignore everything she did in WWE history and lose nothing.

Even the horrible memorable Attitude era skits I was going to attribute to her are all Mae Young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/QaraKoyunlu/status/973380288804921344

In some ways this is even funnier than the Moolah thing

It is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Snuka had the leap from the top of the cage, Warrior had a bunch of memorable promos and the time he got the IC title from Honky Tonk Man, Moolah... was there too I guess

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also like that they are giving Roman Reigns, the most protected and pushed guy in the company, the "rebellious outsider" gimmick
Nevermind that it's such a stupid gimmick because everyone in the know is aware that Roman has always been the cherry-picked golden boy for the past three years; he's just so bad at selling it.

Like, with Austin and The Rock, they were good at selling that role because they truly believed they were the character they were portraying. With Roman, he can't sell it because in addition to being a lovely promo, deep down he knows that he has always been The GuyTM and is so artificial at being the "wronged, rebellious outsider".

E: BITCH

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 13, 2018

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/QaraKoyunlu/status/973380288804921344

In some ways this is even funnier than the Moolah thing

Pirate wrestlemania.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Well I called Braun + Big Show as the bar’s opponents, I was half right.

Is there a vid that sums up moolah’s story? I’m sure it’s super common knowledge but I’ve just never outright heard the details. It’s just always super vague like “the stuff she did! The things she did! THE STUFF! THE THIIIIINGS”

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaise330 posted:

Is there a vid that sums up moolah’s story? I’m sure it’s super common knowledge but I’ve just never outright heard the details. It’s just always super vague like “the stuff she did! The things she did! THE STUFF! THE THIIIIINGS”

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/51nz17/wrestlers_true_colors_series_the_fabulous_moolah/

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Blaise330 posted:

quote:

Over the years, various female wrestlers have come forward with stories accusing Ellison (Moolah) of being a pimp that often provided various wrestling promoters with unsuspecting female wrestlers that would be used as sex objects. One of the most notorious accusations is from the family of Sweet Georgia Brown (Susie Mae McCoy). McCoy, who was trained and booked by Ellison and her then-husband Buddy Lee, told her daughter that she was often raped, given drugs and made an addict in an intentional attempt by Ellison and Lee to control her. Ida Martinez, who wrestled during the 1960s, also recalls that many of the regional promoters “demanded personal services” before they would pay the female wrestlers. In a 2002 interview, Luna Vachon claimed that when she was sixteen years old and training at Ellison's camp, Ellison sent her out of state to be photographed by an older man. Although she remained clothed during the photo shoot, Vachon stated she felt taken advantage of by Ellison and the older man. Vachon also stated that her aunt, Vivian Vachon, witnessed Ellison abusing alcohol and having sex with her female trainees. Sandy Parker, a lesbian former pupil of Ellison's, also claims that Ellison forbade her from going to any gay bars and tried to press her to date men. Parker says this enranged her, because "(Moolah) was two faced because she had her own little dalliances that we all knew about."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
They should have named the battle royal after Sensational Sherri imo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just read a post somewhere else pointing out that Roman did have an opportunity to make a genuinely good point about Brock and they didn't take it. He could've said "When I screwed up and violated the wellness policy, I was punished. When Brock was caught cheating for UFC, he was rewarded with the main event of SummerSlam."

Can't have Roman show humility, I guess. :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/thenextblgthing/status/973400234683392000

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

As Wendi Richter's popularity became increasingly lucrative for the WWE; Richter, in an attempt to be justly compensated for her drawing power as a premier women's wrestler, using her likeness as a cartoon character, and her direct involvement in the very successful Rock N' Wrestling Connection constantly demanded more pay from Vince McMahon. Her relationship with the company and McMahon quickly soured to the point where Richter supposedly refused to sign a contract extension until she felt adequately compensated for her services to the company.

Richter, who was already booked in a match against a mysterious masked opponent known simply as "The Spider Lady", would soon find out what happens when you're holding a WWE championship and refuse to sign a contract extension. The story goes that Vince McMahon brought back Moolah as the Spider lady and, along with help from the referee, purposely stripped Richter of the women's title without her knowing.

Richter, who clearly kicked out of a small package from the spider lady, is still counted down for the three count giving the title back to Moolah. After Richter figured out what had just took place. It's said that she left the arena still wearing her gear, booked a flight home, and never spoke to McMahon or Moolah ever again.
Wendi screwed Wendi :haw:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sugar Blaster posted:

Remember when Stone Cold would get "suspended" or "banned from the building" or something and all it meant was he'd show up toward the end of the show driving a monster truck or something? Roman, model employee, just takes his public shaming like a good little worker bee. That's the sort of no-nonsense asskicker I can really get behind!

Imagine how much better this whole thing would be with someone remotely charismatic in Roman's spot.

Hell, imagine how much better it would be (and was) with noted failure to launch Dean Ambrose in this spot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Imagine how much better this whole thing would be with someone remotely charismatic in Roman's spot.

Hell, imagine how much better it would be (and was) with noted failure to launch Dean Ambrose in this spot.

Roman is pretty charismatic, that's one of the reasons his spots get over despite being kind of basic.

Promos and charisma aren't the same thing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
They should have really wrote John Cena's feud about how Undertaker wanted to take his role in Blockers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've stopped watching WWE programming since Jinder went unhindered for a while, and I can say I've yet to see the review of a PPV or show that's made me consider picking up a network sub again. Royal Rumble might have been the closest I've come to that, but even then....nah.

I am genuinely looking forward to ignoring Wrestlemania this year. I really do think WM 32 was the beginning of the end for my active enjoyment of the product. The WWE came to my neighborhood and just poo poo all over it. Was a pretty big downer.:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Saying something is awful and no one should watch it is a form of passive support, gotcha.

So you're saying my mother's review of my one-man play actually was her saying she loved me after all? :shobon:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if MRT only goes into WWE threads to say how terrible and bad it is and that you shoudlnt watch it and stays unbanned why cant RGL do the same #FreeRGL #ModBias

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The obvious answer is that MRT got me a sweet Dacha in exchange for looking the other way :ussr:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

every roman segment makes me think "no way are they loving doing this" and they loving do it

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

every roman segment makes me think "no way are they loving doing this" and they loving do it

Vince is going to rotate through the entire repertoire of what got anyone over in the last 35 years, then he'll start over again once he runs out.

Looking forward to more sufferin' succotash promos in 2021.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Any chance we get Roman Reigns vs Larry Zbyszko in a steel cage match at Shea Stadium?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Any chance we get Roman Reigns vs Larry Zbyszko in a steel cage match at Shea Stadium?

Kurt Angle being brought back is part of the Pittsburgh Plan Long Con. :tinfoil:

*Kane silently walks into the room and sets up a conspiracy map collage in the background*

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I've stopped watching WWE programming since Jinder went unhindered for a while, and I can say I've yet to see the review of a PPV or show that's made me consider picking up a network sub again. Royal Rumble might have been the closest I've come to that, but even then....nah.

I am genuinely looking forward to ignoring Wrestlemania this year. I really do think WM 32 was the beginning of the end for my active enjoyment of the product. The WWE came to my neighborhood and just poo poo all over it. Was a pretty big downer.:smith:

You should watch the last TakeOver, though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, Takeover is going to absolutely loving rule.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

For the life of me I cannot see what is special about this post. I checked for an option to play a video and nada.

Edit: Never mind, must have been some weird glitch with my adblocker.

Also why in the hell did they rename the Battle Royale, what was wrong with the Andre the Giant name?

And if you go "It's just for the women.", the WWE SURE DIDN'T MAKE THAT POINT.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Women's wrestling in WWE's version of history goes Moolah > Mae Young > [scene missing] > Trish Stratus > Stephanie McMahon. They already had the Mae Young classic so Moolah it is

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

The obvious answer is that MRT got me a sweet Dacha in exchange for looking the other way :ussr:

We all know that MRT is J-Ru's boy and can do whatever he likes. If I didn't turn up to post then I know I'd eat a probation. What's that about, huh? :mad:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

We all know that MRT is J-Ru's boy and can do whatever he likes. If I didn't turn up to post then I know I'd eat a probation. What's that about, huh? :mad:

Who is Kevin Dunn in this scenario?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

piss tape israel posted:

Nevermind that it's such a stupid gimmick because everyone in the know is aware that Roman has always been the cherry-picked golden boy for the past three years; he's just so bad at selling it.

Like, with Austin and The Rock, they were good at selling that role because they truly believed they were the character they were portraying. With Roman, he can't sell it because in addition to being a lovely promo, deep down he knows that he has always been The GuyTM and is so artificial at being the "wronged, rebellious outsider".

E: BITCH

Roman can't convey a character, period. No matter what they do he always seems like he's a guy who is there to read the lines fed to him, then punch the clock.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/XThreeee/status/973397188813426693

Making up for falsely advertising Ronda and Brock by falsely advertising Nakamura

A shameful misuse of the Shinsuke Snickers Nakamura brand.

I'm sad that they false advertised two big-deal attractions in Lesnar and Rousey for the Detroit show that was only about an hour from where I live. I remember not too long ago Brock did something insane at a Detroit appearance and Shane made his return there, so I guess if any Raw was karmically due to get screwed over it's Detroit, but it's still lame and carny as hell to pull this poo poo though.

I hope that Braun is allowed to fight for the tag championship on his own, and bonus points if they somehow say it's an airbud situation because there's somehow nothing in the rulebook that says he can't, but I also would be totally fine with Braun intimidating someone into being his tag team partner but not allowing them to ever tag themselves in, and if they somehow do he kills them then makes them tag him back in by like, raising the dead guy's arm for a tag. Kind of like what they did with Jordan recently, but man I would mark the hell out if Ellsworth somehow got brought back into the company just to be the poor lump of meat that makes it legal for Braun to be a tag champ, and I think there'd be a fun dynamic of those two playing off each other.

Realistically though the best outcome is for Braun to hold the titles solo and just get over as a monster even more by defending against proper tag teams on his own and effectively fighting handicap matches, then he can lose the title to whatever new tag team you want to give a big rub to, with a simple option being Authors of Pain when they join the main roster, or the Revival would have worked well if they hadn't decided to turn them into jobbers. Or rehab the Balor Club's image a bit and have them stop talking about nerds and you can do a little Balor Club takeover with the IC title on Finn and tag titles on Gallows and Anderson.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NowonSA posted:

I'm sad that they false advertised two big-deal attractions in Lesnar and Rousey for the Detroit show that was only about an hour from where I live. I remember not too long ago Brock did something insane at a Detroit appearance and Shane made his return there, so I guess if any Raw was karmically due to get screwed over it's Detroit, but it's still lame and carny as hell to pull this poo poo though.

I hope that Braun is allowed to fight for the tag championship on his own, and bonus points if they somehow say it's an airbud situation because there's somehow nothing in the rulebook that says he can't, but I also would be totally fine with Braun intimidating someone into being his tag team partner but not allowing them to ever tag themselves in, and if they somehow do he kills them then makes them tag him back in by like, raising the dead guy's arm for a tag. Kind of like what they did with Jordan recently, but man I would mark the hell out if Ellsworth somehow got brought back into the company just to be the poor lump of meat that makes it legal for Braun to be a tag champ, and I think there'd be a fun dynamic of those two playing off each other.

Realistically though the best outcome is for Braun to hold the titles solo and just get over as a monster even more by defending against proper tag teams on his own and effectively fighting handicap matches, then he can lose the title to whatever new tag team you want to give a big rub to, with a simple option being Authors of Pain when they join the main roster, or the Revival would have worked well if they hadn't decided to turn them into jobbers. Or rehab the Balor Club's image a bit and have them stop talking about nerds and you can do a little Balor Club takeover with the IC title on Finn and tag titles on Gallows and Anderson.

Braun just comes out with Alexa as his tag partner. She's got a performer's contract, and just because they won't let her wrestle the boys doesn't mean she can't be on the team.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Who's the heel in Sasha/Bayley?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well Sasha was explicitly the heel at Elimination Chamber, but they seem to be pushing the idea that Bayley is the bad guy since then which... I don't know, I can only assume it's a fakeout and evil heel Boss Sasha is gonna strike soon.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

When the music for Snickers Nakamura hits I just go wild on my couch.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Well Sasha was explicitly the heel at Elimination Chamber, but they seem to be pushing the idea that Bayley is the bad guy since then which... I don't know, I can only assume it's a fakeout and evil heel Boss Sasha is gonna strike soon.

I still can’t believe the EC thing wasn’t a turn.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just loving pull the trigger on Heel Boss Sasha, Jesus Christ it's been like 2 years now. Cut the "shades of grey" bullshit and have her make kids cry again.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

VJeff posted:

I just read a post somewhere else pointing out that Roman did have an opportunity to make a genuinely good point about Brock and they didn't take it. He could've said "When I screwed up and violated the wellness policy, I was punished. When Brock was caught cheating for UFC, he was rewarded with the main event of SummerSlam."

Can't have Roman show humility, I guess. :shrug:

They just don't incorporate this stuff into storylines.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Vince is going to rotate through the entire repertoire of what got anyone over in the last 35 years, then he'll start over again once he runs out.

Looking forward to more sufferin' succotash promos in 2021.

When he's a vengeful angry bastard who's been wronged and will kick that rear end of every one of the bastards, Roman actually gets over.

So they rarely do that.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I still can’t believe the EC thing wasn’t a turn.

Instead the plotline is Bayley is mean for remembering Sasha constantly betraying her bodily, and Sasha not apologising.

NowonSA posted:

My favourite would be Lars Sullivan introduction from NXT, another person who doesn't play well with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Roman-HHH feud was loving awful

• Locked thread