Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah, that was pretty bad. It's absurd to do a Cain/Chloe storyline this late in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I'm really surprised this season is so over the place. Season 1 & 2 were consistently very good, and sometimes absolutely ace :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cain going after Chloe does make sense though. I don't think he knew about Lucifer's mortality near her (although he did knew she was a scion, so I don't remember exactly), so he probably reckons if he spends a lot of time with her, he'll become mortal as well, and maybe finally get to die.

I dunno, I've enjoyed this season. Last season was better, but I think that was due to the overall story arc, where we seem to have switched gears a few times this season. Last season was about mom getting home and wrecking God, and Luci was all for slamming the gates behind her and loving off to Earth again.

This season was about Sinnerman/the wings mystery, then about Cain and now the romantic triangle between Chloe/Lucifer/Cain.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

(Note: I haven't seen the last couple eps yet, just reading the reactions here...)

My main problem is that Lucifer + Chloe have gotten stale. The thing that made this show much better than the premise to me was the priest episode, where we find out the crux of Luci's motivation for everything: he's fundamentally a good guy, and also a lonely one - because the place every other good guy will eventually go to is completely off limits for him due to a rebellion aeons earlier. It's fun to then watch his righteous anger, his relative powerlessness against his dad, and also him discovering feelings for Chloe.

But now they don't seem to know where they want to lead that, so they lead nowhere. I get it, they want to avoid resolving sexual tension since that's usually a death knell, but I actually think it would make the show stronger. There's interesting things to explore in the dynamic of bringing Chloe into the knowledge about the supernatural, about bringing up the fact that Dad essentially uses her as a tool of manipulation. Maybe even turn it around and have Lucifer convince her to help in sticking it to Dad. There's a lot more growth that could happen to Lucifer.

Instead it kinda sucks. At least Lucifer is still funny and the side plots are really interesting, but...

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
They need to move on. Chloe needs to understand who Lucifer is, what she is and what that means for both of them. There's at least a season in that idea, it just feels way to late to start it now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Measly Twerp posted:

They need to move on. Chloe needs to understand who Lucifer is, what she is and what that means for both of them. There's at least a season in that idea, it just feels way to late to start it now.

Holding pattern will they/ won't they bullshit is the worst kind of status quo writing gimmick for these style of shows.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Measly Twerp posted:

Given how amazing the therapist turned out for it they really need to stop messing around and do it. If only to see Chloe's :catstare: face and the processing of what everything he's done to that point around her means with this new information. She's very briefly seen his devil face IIRC, plus all the little confessions he pulls out of people during interrogations after all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I want lucifer to sing in every episode.

I agree the show is getting stale though, and they need to bring another character into the secret to mix things up a bit . The cases of the week on this show aren't good enough to sustain the show on their own, they need to lean into the supernatural stuff more.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Holding pattern will they/ won't they bullshit is the worst kind of status quo writing gimmick for these style of shows.

poo poo, they still can do the will they won't they if she finds out, except now it would be new, because Chloe would have to come to grips over being attracted to the literal devil, and also being an unwitting pawn in the game God is playing. We've had two seasons of fun where Lucifer was acclimating to being more human, put a spin on it and it would work.

I was excited about season 3 cause I thought that's where they were going with it, but they didn't. Not that I completely dislike the Cain stuff, but if they don't end this season on 'Chloe finds out' cliffhanger and get moving on that I'll have a hard time watching season 4. I blame FOX for this, they seem to mismanage every cool and interesting show they ever made.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 13, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zebulon posted:

Given how amazing the therapist turned out for it they really need to stop messing around and do it. If only to see Chloe's :catstare: face and the processing of what everything he's done to that point around her means with this new information. She's very briefly seen his devil face IIRC, plus all the little confessions he pulls out of people during interrogations after all.

Chloe just kinda shrugged at him getting the lawyer last night to confess. Like oh there he goes with his shenanigans again oh well that's totally normal I hope this paperwork is in order.

Give that boy his devil face back and step on the gas a little already :argh:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man, season 2 was some legit tv but this last episode was just a slog to get through. I’m not sure what’s happening to this show but I feel the Cain thing has turned into a real flounder.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, season 2 was some legit tv but this last episode was just a slog to get through. I’m not sure what’s happening to this show but I feel the Cain thing has turned into a real flounder.

Relegating Maze to a background character because the actress was pregnant sort of backfired on them.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
My guess is that Kain and Lucifer will fight over Chloe, it'll get nasty, but neither one can actually solve the problem with violence and they both know it.

Kain will come to Chloe with severe (secretly self-inflicted) injuries, saying "Look what Lucifer did to me, because he says you belong to him. He's crazy!."

Chloe won't believe Cain at first.

Cain will then provide video of one of Lucifer's earlier attempts to kill him.

And suddenly it's Chloe vs. Lucifer.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I know Maze is a demon, but she doesn't have to be such a bitch. She has a heart and feelings. This rage boner is getting old. I did like "hoes before bros".

The duet with Lucifer and Axara was the best part of the show.

Cain is an narcissistic rear end in a top hat. He's never denied that. He doesn't really care about Lucifer and Chloe. I am disappointed that the "secret person knows all about the angels" was just turned into Cain wanting to die. That was an interesting plot point that could have been used to tell some real stories. How would a mortal find out? What would they do with that information? Would they get closer to God? Further away? What if the person who found out was Hindu or some other non-Abrahamic religion? Would they want to eliminate the evidence? Nope. Mopey Cain. That's what we got.

Linda continues to be one of the best characters and best acted characters on the show.

I'm still disappointed that they haven't leaned harder into Lucifer being bisexual. Give me representation! Legends of Tomorrow has had two episodes this season with Constantine and he's already flirted with two dudes and had sex with a bi-sexual lady. It's not hard (lol).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Didn't Lucifer very clearly sleep with Cain at the end of episode 13?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The dynamic this episode was really bad, but at the end it looks like they're going another direction with it? Hopefully.

RIP Maize and Trixie duo :sadwave:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The dynamic this episode was really bad, but at the end it looks like they're going another direction with it? Hopefully.

RIP Maize and Trixie duo :sadwave:

This season is poo poo. I don't like Cains whole thing.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
How did this show go from the heights of season 2 to this absolute garbage? I haven’t seen many series that have demonstrated such a collapse in quality in such a short amount of time. Usually it’s over a few seasons rather than a few episodes. At this point Lucifer doesn’t deserve to get renewed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought this episode was an improvement over the last 2. The main problem this show has is that it doesn't lean nearly far enough into the supernatural/serialised side of the story. It seems like that side of things might be ramping up a bit now though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What is gonna happen: Lucifer tries to make Decker jealous by dating Dan.
What should happen: The above, but Lucifer somehow gets into a confrontation with Cain. The confrontation ends in violence that accidentally kills Cain for real, while Lucifer manifests entirely as the Devil - with Chloe there to see it - setting up a scenario where Chloe believes Lucifer is the Devil, but also that he just murdered her boyfriend.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is gonna happen: Lucifer tries to make Decker jealous by dating Dan.

Amenadiel accidentally kills Cain, falls, gets Lucifer's devil face

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Pesmerga posted:

How did this show go from the heights of season 2 to this absolute garbage? I haven’t seen many series that have demonstrated such a collapse in quality in such a short amount of time. Usually it’s over a few seasons rather than a few episodes. At this point Lucifer doesn’t deserve to get renewed.

See also: Sleepy Hollow, also by Fox.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

KIT HAGS posted:

Also Human Target. Also by Fox

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

KIT HAGS posted:

I was gonna say, that was hands down the biggest drop in quality from season one to season two that I have ever seen. While there has been a drop in quality, I'm still enjoying Lucifer okay (although I'm a couple of episodes behind), and I kind of feel that S1 wasnt as good as S1 of Sleepy Hollow, and this season isnt as bad as S2-3 of sleepy hollow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’d watch an LA Noire show feat. Detective The World’s First Murderer.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

grack posted:

Didn't Lucifer very clearly sleep with Cain at the end of episode 13?

I think you missed the punchline, Lucifer talks about the one thing they never got to try, convinces a reluctant Cain who responds "Fine, go get the chainsaw".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

THF13 posted:

I think you missed the punchline, Lucifer talks about the one thing they never got to try, convinces a reluctant Cain who responds "Fine, go get the chainsaw".

Pfft look at this guy who's never used a chainsaw in the bedroom.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Cain is just as narcissistic as Lucifer but he hides it better. He's also a reprehensible rear end in a top hat which yeah he's been alive for thousands of years watched everybody he loves dies, whatever. I hope Lucifer finds out Cain is using Chloe and doubles down on finding a way to murder him.
I believe Amenadiel now; he was cursed for a reason.

But Lucifer is a loving idiot for some reason. An idiot who wears his heart on his sleeve but cannot even understand his own actions. At least he's backing off of "must defy dad".

Maze is acting dumb. So loving dumb. And inconsistent to her previous development. People slide whatever, but this is just poo poo. Unredeemable poo poo. You don't break a child's heart and come back from that. You cannot. She is dead to me. All that growth and vulnerability and introspection, flushed down the drain.

I want the show to redeem itself, but we'll see.

Charlotte and Linda are the most interesting characters.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Cain is just as narcissistic as Lucifer but he hides it better. He's also a reprehensible rear end in a top hat which yeah he's been alive for thousands of years watched everybody he loves dies, whatever. I hope Lucifer finds out Cain is using Chloe and doubles down on finding a way to murder him.
I believe Amenadiel now; he was cursed for a reason.

But Lucifer is a loving idiot for some reason. An idiot who wears his heart on his sleeve but cannot even understand his own actions. At least he's backing off of "must defy dad".

Maze is acting dumb. So loving dumb. And inconsistent to her previous development. People slide whatever, but this is just poo poo. Unredeemable poo poo. You don't break a child's heart and come back from that. You cannot. She is dead to me. All that growth and vulnerability and introspection, flushed down the drain.

I want the show to redeem itself, but we'll see.

Charlotte and Linda are the most interesting characters.

Luci is still interesting, but they stopped pushing his arc at all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The episode sucked hard due to Lucifer being an annoying twat about Cain moving in on his girl. All of that, every single piece of this love triangle, is so overly forced at this point it has ruined the show. Lucifer and Chloe’s love arc burned out nearly ten episodes ago when they started being more friends than romantic lovers. Also, since Lucifer’s goal was to help Cain die, letting Cain get romantic with Chloe and get in close to become vulnerable would support that goal. His motivations make zero sense.

And yeah Maize has lost everything that made her character fun.

It’s kinda sad this show has gone this direction. Last season was so good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I want Lucifer to go all in on Cain + Chloe (Chlain? Chain? Cainole?) and have a mad, sweaty three-way. Read my fanfic!

Amenadiel pointed to Chloe and Lucifer after Luci got stabbed and said "If my brother, the literal Devil can have that, why can't you?" and Cain saw, not a loving friendship that could bloom into something else, but the fact that the immortal and impervious Lucifer is vulnerable around a person with which he has a mutually caring relationship.
So, yeah, I think he may have missed the "mutually" part.
Cain's an rear end in a top hat, but an interesting one. The Cain from "Forever" was in the same sort of boat, and was a murderer and psychopath, but was still a nicer person than this Cain.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, since Lucifer’s goal was to help Cain die, letting Cain get romantic with Chloe and get in close to become vulnerable would support that goal. His motivations make zero sense.

Because that would hurt Chloe and Lucifer doesn't want that. That's the only reason. Whether he loves her or likes her or they are friends or partners or whatever, he cares very deeply about her well-being and Cain manipulating her into loving him and then dying on purpose would devastate Chloe. He is protecting her in his own dumb way.

Edit: Dan standing up to Maze over his daughter was really good. His character has come so far.
Amenadiel telling Charlotte the "truth" is dumb and stupid, but Amenadiel is never as smart as he thinks he is.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 22, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Just realized Rachael Harris did an episode of Archer way back, so now I'm picturing her character with tiny cardigans and giant glasses. The universe is kind and generous, friends.

Edit: although this season hasn't been as gigantically awesome as last season was, I haven't really perceived as huge a drop-off in quality as the rest of posters here; am I....mediocre or something

(I probably am)

(Harris was the AMAZINGGGG hollywood double agent in season 2 of archer)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Amenadiel telling Charlotte the "truth" is dumb and stupid, but Amenadiel is never as smart as he thinks he is.
At least him trying to connect with Charlotte as a way of coping with the loss of his mother makes sense for the character (unlike what's going on with a certain other character). Watch him try to transfer the mark of Cain to Charlotte so he can make her his forever mom.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I like the season. Could be tighter but I've also seen way way way worse. It's pretty late in the season for the plot twist for the whole love triangle thingie. Only like 4 episodes left.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I like the season. Could be tighter but I've also seen way way way worse. It's pretty late in the season for the plot twist for the whole love triangle thingie. Only like 4 episodes left.

Yeah I still don't despise it yet. That said I don't exactly like where they've gone with it

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The problem is that mid season 1 to the end of season 2 this show has been consistently ace. Season 3 is all over the place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've liked the last couple of episodes. I think Cain is a fun character to have around since he's someone that can deal with Lucifer on his own level but doesn't have the whole family connection thing, which leads to some interesting interactions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think they should just suck each others cocks

Wait, no fanfic in this forum right?

e:

muscles like this! posted:

I've liked the last couple of episodes. I think Cain is a fun character to have around since he's someone that can deal with Lucifer on his own level but doesn't have the whole family connection thing, which leads to some interesting interactions.

He's slowly gotten better as a character and I don't know if it's the actor loosening up a little or the writing or both

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's slowly gotten better as a character and I don't know if it's the actor loosening up a little or the writing or both

I'd watch a spin-off of his past exploits.

Edit: he's come a long way since Smallville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think the fact that his character started off extremely guarded made it hard to relate to him as a viewer, and gave the actor very little acting to do. In some ways that was probably necessary to make the "Did Lucifer just kill Pierce??" scene work, but it did mean his character wasn't gonna be particularly interesting until that point either.

• Locked thread