Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Toshimo posted:

idgi. Why do coords become not good at some point? I've just been slamming mine and enjoying the multipliers.

as in i have 100+ that i can't use cuz i don't have enough levels in coordinated/carpentry/etc. they're really good don't get me wrong i just literally can't buy the upgrades during runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

idgi. Why do coords become not good at some point? I've just been slamming mine and enjoying the multipliers.

They remain good forever, but past a certain point, the dimensional generator (unlocked at Z230) + levels of Coordinated will easily generate population far in excess of the requirements for each successive level of coordination. For example, I'm in the middle of a run (at Z422) and my dimgen is creating 104 Qi housing every 6 seconds, and I have 92 levels in Coordinated. I haven't seen an unbought level of Coordination in months. Warpstation/gigastations are, naturally, irrelevant. "How many warpstations per gigastation should I buy?" isn't even worth considering.

At that point, attack is really the only limiting factor. Equipment prestige upgrades are essentially free, and the best way to progress is to level up Challenge^2s, get more achievements, and (as of 4.7), level and evolve Fluffy. [edit] And buy masteries, if you don't have all of the important ones. I'm missing King of Bones I and II, but they are pretty much worthless so I just turned off Scryer stance entirely because it's not worth the time needed to build up that much dark essence. If another row of masteries gets added I'm sure I'll regret not stockpiling DE, but whatever.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 11, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Realm Grinder: So I'm on R15 now and doing some initial Researches with the vanilla factions, but I'm going to get ahead of myself here and conclude that none of these guys are going to pack more of a punch than the Elves, right?

I'm still going to unlock all of them, but still.

edit: Wait, so some of the researches of a faction affect another's production!? So now there are crossover challenges and crossover researches!? :psyduck:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 11, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Samuringa posted:

Realm Grinder: So I'm on R15 now and doing some initial Researches with the vanilla factions, but I'm going to get ahead of myself here and conclude that none of these guys are going to pack more of a punch than the Elves, right?

edit: Wait, so some of the researches of a faction affect another's production!? So now there are crossover challenges and crossover researches!? :psyduck:

The game changes dramatically as you unlock various researches :q:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Research is great because there can be a bunch of mini-tiers of progress. At a certain gem count you might not be able to access the full range of research upgrades, so the optimal build for that point might be different than the best one when you're closer to the end of the R.

That said, I've been using a lot of Fairies (Fairy bloodline) and Demons (Titan bloodline) and they're doing well for me. I just unlocked neutral research but haven't been super impressed with them yet, mostly because the research upgrades don't seem to mesh too well with the Titan/Druid spell mechanics.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

You need to unlock almost all of them, anyway. Even if some researches are totally useless (there are a few), some later researches require previous ones to be unlocked.

If you're trying to play spoiler-free, I respect that, but http://musicfamily.org/realm/ has all of the information you'll ever need.

I actually figured out which researches don't appear in any common builds a few months ago. The game's been updated a few times since then so this might no longer be accurate, and like I said above you'll need to unlock them all anyway, but if you want to know what to work toward first: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775797&userid=39373#post473635582

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 12, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
When I get stuck I look into G00F for builds and such, so when I'm done doing my little tour around all the vanilla factions I'll just check out there if I'm missing anything, but thanks!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The vast majority of researches are cross-faction despite requiring certain factions to unlock - the faction restricted ones will be greyed out if you're the wrong faction, or faction-coloured if you're in the right faction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Fishing for Lightning Strike is awful.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Toshimo posted:

Fishing for Lightning Strike is awful.

Thank god for C375.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kyrosiris posted:

Thank god for C375.

I wish I could use that, but alas, this build needs to hit Deep Mine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Uh, Elves? Don't tell me you haven't been going with Fairies lategame :ohdear:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I have no idea how to read the small values chart or how to manipulate it

You won't get ss7 without goblin set without doing a 5+ day run

If you've manipulated a seeded RNG before, it's a fairly simple concept... and if you haven't, it's a fairly lengthy explanation.

You want to find a dot on that chart with a small enough value for you to qualify. For example, if you want to get Spiked Whip - A2 goblin artifact - with 13,000 buildings, you need 0.0001 or less; if you can go up to 14,000 buildings, it becomes 0.0001333 or less, and so on. A little experimentation and math will show you what your small value needs to be less than.

The boldfaced number above the value, when you mouse over it on the chart, is how many RNG checks away it is. So if it says, say, 4023, then the 4023rd time from now that the RNG is asked about whether or not you'll get an artifact, it'll poo poo out that particular small value. Your goal is to make it be asking about the artifact you want it to, when it does. Each time you excavate, it'll move 1 step for each artifact you qualify for on that excavation. (This includes moving 0 steps if you don't qualify for any artifacts.)

And if that number changes midway through buying a bulk amount of excavations, the steps will change accordingly, as if you'd bought 1 excavation a bunch of times. For example if you're in A2, qualify for both hourglass and faction artifact, and do a buy-1000 to go from 2500 to 3500 excavations in-game, then excavations 2501-2999 will use 1 step and 3000-3500 will use 2 steps, for a total of (499 * 1) + (501 * 2) = 1501 steps used.

From there, it's "just" a matter of manipulating your steps such that the small value you've found, gets used when you want it to be used. To continue our Spiked Whip example, you'd want it to be when your in-game excavations are 3000+ and it's answering the "did I get Spiked Whip" question instead of the "did I get hourglass" question. (This typically translates to "the small value is an even number of steps away". If you're already at 3000+ and qualify for both hourglass and faction artifact, hourglass uses odd steps and faction artifact uses even steps.)

The "just manipulating" is, of course, the tricky bit, but between reincarnations, ruby resets, free resets, free resets while excavating past the minimum amount to use them, getting hourglass early, deliberately not getting hourglass early, excavating while on a faction that still needs artifact, excavating while on a faction that already has its artifact, and excavating while not affiliated with a faction, you've got a variety of techniques you can apply.

Export and save in a text file first, especially if you're new to seeded RNG manipulation.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 13, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh, ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. I was never sure if those numbers could be used by anything but excavations. Knowing that they can't, I see what the toolbox allows for. Ideally I'll get the Hourglass without too much issue after a 2+ week run, so that will simplify what I'm looking at when it comes to the Whip.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Having the hourglass as an excavation option will in many ways make it easier to get those artifacts, since a. you'll burn through steps going from excavations 0-3000 when otherwise you wouldn't have, and b. you'll burn through steps twice as fast above that (if you so desire).

This means that if you see a nice small value that's a good long number of steps away, you can get there with a lot fewer resets/reincarnations than if you already had hourglass.

On the flip side, you do have to be more careful to make sure your nice small value doesn't get used up in the 3000 the hourglass uses after you reincarnate/reset.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

GrossMurpel posted:

Uh, Elves? Don't tell me you haven't been going with Fairies lategame :ohdear:

Technically, when I'm mining for Gems, I'm going with the Mercenaries, using either the Brutal Diamond Smithing Machine or Thunder Forge builds from G00F but I meant regarding the researches. And now that I'm getting to know them better, the Elven Bloodline probably isn't the best suited. I'm trying the Druid now, for more frequent castings, but I'm still trying stuff around.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vil posted:

Having the hourglass as an excavation option will in many ways make it easier to get those artifacts, since a. you'll burn through steps going from excavations 0-3000 when otherwise you wouldn't have, and b. you'll burn through steps twice as fast above that (if you so desire).

This means that if you see a nice small value that's a good long number of steps away, you can get there with a lot fewer resets/reincarnations than if you already had hourglass.

On the flip side, you do have to be more careful to make sure your nice small value doesn't get used up in the 3000 the hourglass uses after you reincarnate/reset.

It's not relevant though, the build for the hourglass isn't one that makes the whip eligible

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Vil posted:

Fuuuuuck it did :( now my next good small value is 13k values away. I guess no new artifacts for me this R.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

It's not relevant though, the build for the hourglass isn't one that makes the whip eligible

The hourglass chews through small values whether you're building for it or not, most especially below 3000 excavations when you don't qualify for the faction artifact. The warning was less "oh, you're going for hourglass but the faction artifact sniped the small value you meant for the hourglass" but the other way around.

Merijn posted:

Fuuuuuck it did :( now my next good small value is 13k values away. I guess no new artifacts for me this R.

If you haven't used any free resets yet, you're still fine. Supposing you're at 3k excavations now:

3k - 7.5k on faction without artifact: 9000 SVs used (4.5k excavations * 2 eligible artifacts)
Reset
0 - 3k: 3000 SVs used (3k excavations * 1 eligible artifact)

At that point you're back at 3k excavations but you've gone through 12k SVs and are only 1k away from your next good one.

If you've free reset only once, you can still do it, second free reset is pretty accessible too (that one's closer to 8k). That would use 13k SVs and potentially overshoot the mark though, so you may need to have some of the post-3k excavations be on a faction where you do have the artifact so you only use 1 SV per excavation instead of 2 for those, thus cutting down on the SVs you chew through while free resetting and getting back to 3k.

If you've free reset twice (or once, but at a lower R where the second one is way out of reach) and/or have your excavation count well above 3k anyway, then no that might not be an option. In that case, just make sure that you leave yourself at least 3k SVs away (but preferably not a lot more than that) from your target when you reincarnate.

Vil fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 13, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Another Hourglass warning, be careful about getting it too early. Trying to roll through RNG values when you have to first reach 3000 (after you've purchased the hourglass) before they start counting, really sucks. Fortunately I had some decent luck and have managed to get them all but the elven artifact, but my next reasonable chance at the elven artifact is 40k away and a reset will only burn about 2.5k to 3k each, instead of 7.5 or 8k thanks to the fact that the first 3000 don't count.

Unrelated question, are there any other idle games like Realm Grinder in that the interaction actually changes over time/as you progress? I mean the core of Realm Grinder doesn't change but the introduction of new features (different factions, research, ascensions) do actually affect the course of the game and make it interesting.

nessin fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 13, 2018

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
RG: I'm on R25, does the free excavation reset not come into play until later? It requires 3250 and at the gem target for the next reincarnation I can manage about 2750.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

nessin posted:

Unrelated question, are there any other idle games like Realm Grinder in that the interaction actually changes over time/as you progress? I mean the core of Realm Grinder doesn't change but the introduction of new features (different factions, research, ascensions) do actually affect the course of the game and make it interesting.

Antimatter Dimensions is like that. There are a bunch of prestige layers that automate the previous "core" game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Mine Defence (defense?) is like that as well, though much shorter than RG.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
So glad that Titans are relevant again :rolleyes:

E: Nevermind, just saw what C375 does :v:

Nibble fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2018

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Chakan posted:

Mine Defence (defense?) is like that as well, though much shorter than RG.

Still reasonably long though, and worth playing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nibble posted:

C375 is literally the best research in the game for this exact reason even if it's not #1 on sheer power level or whatever.

e: Mine Defense is great but search this thread or filter my posts for the javascript to autoclick if you're starting it, because it's a huge pain in the rear end to get over some early walls without autoclicking

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Nibble posted:

So glad that Titans are relevant again :rolleyes:

literally me right now

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Vil posted:

The hourglass chews through small values whether you're building for it or not, most especially below 3000 excavations when you don't qualify for the faction artifact. The warning was less "oh, you're going for hourglass but the faction artifact sniped the small value you meant for the hourglass" but the other way around.

If you haven't used any free resets yet, you're still fine. Supposing you're at 3k excavations now:

3k - 7.5k on faction without artifact: 9000 SVs used (4.5k excavations * 2 eligible artifacts)
Reset
0 - 3k: 3000 SVs used (3k excavations * 1 eligible artifact)

At that point you're back at 3k excavations but you've gone through 12k SVs and are only 1k away from your next good one.

If you've free reset only once, you can still do it, second free reset is pretty accessible too (that one's closer to 8k). That would use 13k SVs and potentially overshoot the mark though, so you may need to have some of the post-3k excavations be on a faction where you do have the artifact so you only use 1 SV per excavation instead of 2 for those, thus cutting down on the SVs you chew through while free resetting and getting back to 3k.

If you've free reset twice (or once, but at a lower R where the second one is way out of reach) and/or have your excavation count well above 3k anyway, then no that might not be an option. In that case, just make sure that you leave yourself at least 3k SVs away (but preferably not a lot more than that) from your target when you reincarnate.

Thanks, that's a relief. Still grinding away at gems in the same R right now so if this is all forrect I still have a shot at the spiked whip! :black101:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I was gonna post something about how even at L20 and R82 the ~e74-e88 grind sucks then I saw the posts about LS RNG and feel better about it

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think I used the LS RNG build once, in the very last reincarnation before unlocking the next thing (which I think is Mercenaries?). Sure, if you get the perfect hit then the LS build is great but you have to repeat it multiple times, better to just let one of the other builds go for a couple hours unattended and replicate the effort with no RNG than hoping you can condense that down into just one 30 minute run that you have to pay rigorous attention to.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

garfield hentai posted:

I was gonna post something about how even at L20 and R82 the ~e74-e88 grind sucks then I saw the posts about LS RNG and feel better about it

Ah ha ha I have bad news for you about the 90s.

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
So I just started R42 and I guess I need to start doing spell tiers? Are these permanent unlocks or would I have to do these every run? Either way I'm not sure I want to bother continuing since the game is starting to become a little too tedious.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Joe Desperado posted:

So I just started R42 and I guess I need to start doing spell tiers? Are these permanent unlocks or would I have to do these every run? Either way I'm not sure I want to bother continuing since the game is starting to become a little too tedious.

Just once, and the length of time it takes to unlock tiers goes down every reincarnation. Basically, keep going until you can't proceed anymore, then unlock the tiers for all of the spells you're actively using. Be warned that the time required is cumulative. If it takes 2 days to unlock tier 2 and 3 days to unlock tier 3, and you spend 2 days unlocking tier 2, then reincarnate, unlocking tier 3 will require a full 3 days, not just 1 day.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
NGU: for the update that adjusts combining boosts, can we get the D+click functionality to work on it or is there a specific reason it's equipment/wandoos-only?

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

Buzkashi posted:

NGU: for the update that adjusts combining boosts, can we get the D+click functionality to work on it or is there a specific reason it's equipment/wandoos-only?

I would like this as well, if it's something that can be added. I never realized it before until I was farming Ramsay for the "A Number" item to get it to level 100. My Wandoos I could D+Click on, but the A Number I had to drag 15 of them on top of each other after an overnight run. (I typically play NGU at work M-F, so every night I let the game run open, and get 15 hours of Ramsay item farming).

Also, just wanted to say, I'm really enjoying NGU, it's scratching that idle game itch that Realm Grinder used to take care of until right now (R111, the most recent content update (new artifacts) still seems very slow, so I'm going to just wait until the next patch.). Does anyone have any other recommendations for other idle games I can poke at? I've got a good ITRTG save, I'm played and enjoyed Antimatter, RG, and of course NGU. I've tried most of the games suggested at/near the beginning of this thread, I'm just wondering if any new ones have come out recently that are in the same vein.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

I'll look into adding that tonight. Hopefully you can suffer through without it in the meantime!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

I'll look into adding that tonight. Hopefully you can suffer through without it in the meantime!

Some way to stop at say 1 (I have no idea how to do this) would also be good for the new way A+click uses all recycles.

I have to manually drag a bunch of times to get it to 1 so I can combine it to level 1 to 100.

It'd be usable with a toggle to just do a single round instead of all since if I get 3 5 boosts and 5 10 boosts I can A+click a few times to get the 5s to 1 merge the 1s and then once more to get the 10s (now 2s) to 1, and combine them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I've also been combining my number 42s under the assumption that they do something better at level 100. Is that actually the case? Should I try to do the same with the mysterious red liquid?

Finally maxed the 2d set and sunk all the XP into the 3rd accessory because there is no other way I can see myself saving up that kind of xp. Now I just need a hojillion boosts to make the set actually good.

No equipment challenge wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but I had enough raw stats to handle HSB, so the only real difficulty was losing the energy and magic stats and the slowdown from missing the equipment boost to the number attack and defense.

That's including me being a lazy guy who hasn't filled out his basic challenges or even touched no augs or 100 level so get that autoboost if your haven't yet.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I've also been combining my number 42s under the assumption that they do something better at level 100. Is that actually the case? Should I try to do the same with the mysterious red liquid?

Finally maxed the 2d set and sunk all the XP into the 3rd accessory because there is no other way I can see myself saving up that kind of xp. Now I just need a hojillion boosts to make the set actually good.

No equipment challenge wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but I had enough raw stats to handle HSB, so the only real difficulty was losing the energy and magic stats and the slowdown from missing the equipment boost to the number attack and defense.

That's including me being a lazy guy who hasn't filled out his basic challenges or even touched no augs or 100 level so get that autoboost if your haven't yet.

I've been told, in the Kongregate chat rooms by someone who I know is killing the tree titan, that the number 42, once leveled to 100 will give you a
10% bonus to your NGU stats. But to be sure to use the first one you get to unlock NGU.
I haven't leveled it to 100 myself so I can't confirm that yet. I'm currently at level 35, so I'll be able to let you know in a few days if no one else has posted a definitive answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That is the listed set bonus in 365, it doesn't show as complete but in 364 it was a secret set bonus for number 42. You can see the bonus in the item list. If you have a red border it's complete, don't worry about it not saying complete. (you may need to level any item at all to 100 to get the "Complete" text in the next patch I don't know how 4G has it setup).