Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Dude does a lot of worldbuilding and has some neat concepts but god drat the Drakas sound like assholes to the max.

I kind of wonder what would draw him to the idea of an evil super-South Africa taking over the world though.

What do you think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gently caress that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i like draka more than america

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Fututor Magnus posted:

i like draka more than america

Draka sounds like a bad place and according to the books they have funny accents.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The author's name ought to be S&M Stirling, going by that series.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
suck the dracka out of my golawhad, op

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think about it, OP.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
boy it sure is weird how many stories that guy writes about successful ethnofascist countries

I like how he really explores every side of the issue. like most people would probably think "wow! a hyper-racist police state must be really evil and bad!" and he's like "sure, they're really evil and bad. but also... maybe sort of good in a way???" and it's like, mind blown dude!

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017
It sucks

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hate it. Also I love it. Also also I have never read it.
There, I just saved everybody time.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Straight White Shark posted:

boy it sure is weird how many stories that guy writes about successful ethnofascist countries

I like how he really explores every side of the issue. like most people would probably think "wow! a hyper-racist police state must be really evil and bad!" and he's like "sure, they're really evil and bad. but also... maybe sort of good in a way???" and it's like, mind blown dude!

Yeah he's kind of insane.

Ofaloaf posted:

The author's name ought to be S&M Stirling, going by that series.

💯 yeah lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hate to be racist and all but white South Africans are for real the worst people on earth

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I hate to be racist and all but white South Africans are for real the worst people on earth

The ones involved with apartheid are assholes, but regular civvies there are okay though.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

There was an online "fanfic" rewrite of the Draka-series years ago by a bunch of milspergs to make the series more realistic. It had the Draka get bogged down in horrific Eastern Front style meatgrinders with the USSR and eventually ended with massed nuclear raids on the Domination's heartland by the USAAF. If I remember right, Stirling found out about it and got kinda pissy.

Edit: Found it

Vernii fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 14, 2018

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Vernii posted:

There was an online "fanfic" rewrite of the Draka-series years ago by a bunch of milspergs to make the series more realistic. It had the Draka get bogged down in horrific Eastern Front style meatgrinders with the USSR and eventually ended with massed nuclear raids on the Domination's heartland by the USAAF. If I remember right, Stirling found out about it and got kinda pissy.

Edit: Found it

Lol that sounds great actually.

What did he do when he heard about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

If I remember right it was mostly some complaints that they just didn't "get" the point of the series, which I guess was just to make the most horrifying dystopia he could think of and plausibility be damned.

• Locked thread