Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Trump thread whirrs by too quickly so I thought it might be a good idea to make a separate thread for today's election in Western PA, here's what I wrote about it in the thread:

It's election day folks! For the traditionally republican district of PA-18, a place where Trump won by something like 20 points but has a Dem, Conor Lamb, that's been doing surprisingly well. It's also a district where conservative groups have been doing push polling to truthfully tell Dems on Conor's conservative views on abortion and the 15 dollar wage. His rival, Saccone, is a terrible R candidate and is doing abysmally poor in funding and what he should be polling in Trump country.

It's an interesting one! Did you know that it's a special election because the R (Tim Murphy) who had it had an affair and asked the person he was loving to have an abortion? Here's some more stuff on it:

1: The district won't exist in a couple of months due to redistricting and a repudiation of Republican gerrymandering. Due to the complexity that entails, there's a chance that the R and D candidates might run in and get elected in separate districts (14th and the 17th) and serve in Congress at the same time post Nov.

2. This is the last significant special election before Nov., and the last to see how much D enthusiasm, currently around barely around the double digit mark give or take a few elections, has sustained this far.

3. lol

quote:

Republicans have backed away from their signature tax cut bill in the final days of a closely-watched special House election in the Pittsburgh suburbs — even though it's the very accomplishment on which they had banked their midterm election hopes.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/13/pennsylvania-special-election-preview-tax-republicans-458276

4. also lol

quote:

Republicans are pouring money into this race at an extraordinary rate: When Democrats seemed like they might win a Trump district in Georgia last summer, Republicans warned me behind the scenes against reading into it too much. Democrats were spending so much money on one race that it was inflating its importance, they argued.

Well, now the tables are turned. The Post's Paul Kane reports that Republican groups have spent some $7 million on advertising alone to boost Saccone, a remarkable amount, meaning he has a 2-to-1 edge in TV and radio advertising. Republicans clearly don't want to lose this district. But if they win, how much can they credit their policies vs. their willingness to spend millions on the race?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b209e93482be

5. Other than seeing if D enthusiasm compared to '14 is still holding, this thing is entirely psychological and I'm just mostly in it for a Trump tantrum.

e: The results are in

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bet 5 dollars on a Republican win!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
looking good for jeb

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
you need a medical exam if you ain't down with the lamb

imo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i hope my state manages to slightly remove the obstruction from its rear end in a top hat

that obstruction is its own head

look i'm bad with metaphors, but gently caress the gop and gently caress the dems slightly less

edit: someone good with photoshop get the jeb! edit ready ahead of time tia

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
Sacc One, lol

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/973606447853522944

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol that's hilarious b/c its seven hours before polls close (at 8 I believe) but also suspect for the same reason. Repubs have been short selling Saccone's chances for a while now as a deliberate ploy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
did dick wolf win yet?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

literally all we can get from this is a Trumper tantrum and so for that reason alone I hope Lamb wins

any dorks harassing people at polling places have any updates yet?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I can't get the twitter at work someone tell me what's going on here

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I don't get the rationale behind acting like you might lose. Maybe ginning up the base? Would that actually work on gameday?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Not a Children posted:

I don't get the rationale behind acting like you might lose

but enough about the democrats

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

lmao holy poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

I can't get the twitter at work someone tell me what's going on here

republicans are expecting to lose, and not only lose, but lose early which means the margin of victory for lamb will be big

who knows if reality will match expectations

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SKULL.GIF posted:

republicans are expecting to lose, and not only lose, but lose early which means the margin of victory for lamb will be big

who knows if reality will match expectations

If it gets called before 8 I may very well poo poo myself

also if it gets called after 8

or right now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is the last election for this district

it's changed in May

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

literally all we can get from this is a Trumper tantrum and so for that reason alone I hope Lamb wins

any dorks harassing people at polling places have any updates yet?

hate to disappoint you but he's just gonna say saccone was a bad candidate and we need more True Trumpers

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I don't get the rationale behind acting like you might lose. Maybe ginning up the base? Would that actually work on gameday?

so they can pretend it was another upset and the tide of America is turning or something like on nov 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it could never be good to act like you're going to win, I think?

The more you act like you need every vote the more your supporters will vote I assume?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
for sure

"of course Trump isn't going to win you idiots" was a big factor in 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the reason trump won is not an issue atm

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Not a Children posted:

Ginning up the base and anything else than a defeat is a huge upset (for a 20+ Trump district lol). Will this work? Don't think so.

e: interesting tweets

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/973624766350413824 (this entire thread and responses)

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/973637216168706050

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/973588859924766720

https://twitter.com/WilsonWPA/status/973637294732308480

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Mar 13, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Saccone this!!!!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
cant slam the lamb baby. normally i wouldn't give a poo poo about this but i toxxed for lamb to win so i hope i dont get banned

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCiW-R5bY2k

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
looking forward to winning this under my write-in persona, A Fistful of Ticks

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what's with the loonie right and their evil sheep ads

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Rick succone

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
pennsylvania

TRUMP

TRUMPYLVANIA

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i didnt read the op n im not gonna but lamb will probly win cuz thats just what ive decided

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

what's with the loonie right and their evil sheep ads

Them sheep are liars.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does the winner of this election just turn right around and run for the new, redrawn district? Is there a new primary immediately since the 2018 election is right around the corner?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

yall should toxx for lamb

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just want to say now that the Democrat losing by less than 20 points is a victory!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does the winner of this election just turn right around and run for the new, redrawn district? Is there a new primary immediately since the 2018 election is right around the corner?

I think they just have to move.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
so loving hard for pubdeath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BarronsArtGallery posted:

so loving hard for pubdeath

the pub nearest me that was within much easier stumbling distance from home closed down, I've had enough pubdeath lately

• Locked thread