Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S4 started Monday at 9/8c.

Where we left off: It's been almost 4 months since "Z day" when Fillmore Graves tainted the flu vaccine and turned an appreciable amount of Seattle's residents into zombies. Seattle has been walled off and FG is in holding the city under martial law. Ravi took a zombie vaccine and Blaine shoved his dad down a well.

All in all I thought the opener was pretty great. I liked how the cops have expanded the zombie brain eating tactic to crime solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I laughed when Major told those teens to get over it because Fillmore Graves turned them into zombies and that's in the past!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With all the Robert Knepper stuff I'm surprised they went with adding him to the opening. Also I'm wondering if we'll actually get a payoff to the missing cure vials or if they'll just quietly pretend that subplot never happened.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was really hoping they'd use the new status quo to move away from leaning so heavily on Liv's personality changes. The murder of the week part of the formula seems to fit with the new status quo more naturally than the previous overarching plots. It makes sense the murder rate would go up, and those murders would be caused or influenced by the situation, so they can do the job of exploring what life is like in this world now. But the extreme personality changes are still just gimmicky, to the extent Liv barely feels like a character with any agency sometimes.

I'm not sure about Angus's plotline. It could be really dumb if he keeps saying "the short and curlies" (and if he leads a congregation/army while looking like that the whole time) but I love the whole twisted theology of the situation.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Zombie scum!"

" Yeah! Go Hawks! "

"Go Hawks!"

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm trying to remember, but was the corrupt Fillmore Graves soldier ever approached regarding the selling and stealing of the brain tubes? I mean, it's only a matter of time before the comedic zombie anvil-teen is used on someone.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Laterite posted:

"Zombie scum!"

" Yeah! Go Hawks! "

"Go Hawks!"

I laughed way too hard at this. I think it was the delay before the second "Go Hawks" that did it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know where Angus' wild ride is going, but I never want it to stop.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't izombie zombies die from having their heads cut off? I'm not sure I see the advantage of an anvil guillotine over a regular one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just double bag it Clive :v:

What kind of sad ship is Fillmore Graves running that they haven't even found out about preacher dad?

Oh good more Liv and Major drama.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh joy, we're back on Liv and Major's breakup/back together train. Really hoping they don't spend half the season on this poo poo again.

Not sold on the preacher plotline yet. Seems odd to have no reaction from FG to it, but I'm guessing they're giving Angus(?) a few episodes to build up his powerbase so it's not just a matter of FG soldiers marching in and capping him. Early days still so maybe it'll go interesting places.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, Major’s rookie is gonna get anviled when that video of her scratching the guy gets out, isn’t she?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So Fillmore Graves went to all the trouble of making a lot of people into zombies, but then didn't plan any further than that? Zombies are murdering and eating humans, humans are attacking zombies and harassing zombie friendly shops, and a large part of the zombie population is not getting enough to eat. It feels like a completely different company than the one we saw last season.

So far I am not crazy about this season, the brain of the week format should have been dropped a long time ago, and Major and Liv just need to stay far away from each other.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's still not super clear what the structure of zombie-occupied Seattle is supposed to be. FG seems to ostensibly be running things, but also no one really gives a poo poo about them? Edit: For some reason I thought the setup at the end of last season was that Seattle was zombie-only, not mixed with humans.

Also count me as not feeling the Angus storyline yet. He's much better as a foil to Blaine's plans as opposed to a prime mover in his own right. Have we even seen Blaine yet this season?

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 7, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugh Liv and Major staaahp

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Laterite posted:

Have we even seen Blaine yet this season?

Yeah, he’s digging up scuttlebut for Chase.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Oasx posted:

So Fillmore Graves went to all the trouble of making a lot of people into zombies, but then didn't plan any further than that? Zombies are murdering and eating humans, humans are attacking zombies and harassing zombie friendly shops, and a large part of the zombie population is not getting enough to eat. It feels like a completely different company than the one we saw last season.

The original FG plan was Zombie Island, but when Vivian Stoll got murked by her underling that went out the window. The new plan has the advantage of (as was pointed out in the season premiere) effectively taking hundreds of thousands to keep Seattle from being nuked, which is exactly what would have happened to Zombie Island if they'd tried that.

Seem stupid and short sighted? Of course! I kind of like the fact that this whole thing isn't some dastardly Bond villain plan, but essentially the side effect of having most of the staff of a PMC get zombied by accident. They needed to protect themselves as best they could, which as a PMC meant knocking over the nearest vulnerable government within reach. I realize most of the humor and satire on this show is really broad, but there are some nice subtle touches sometimes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, and I really dug the last two episodes. I've just been sick of the Liv/Major stuff since like season one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Most of my boyfriends have died in terrible ways too :v:

muscles like this! posted:

With all the Robert Knepper stuff I'm surprised they went with adding him to the opening. Also I'm wondering if we'll actually get a payoff to the missing cure vials or if they'll just quietly pretend that subplot never happened.

Blaine stole them, as revealed in tonight's episode.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Glad to see Blaine back in his wheelhouse.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
"Dude, my shirt" got a good chuckle out of me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
We're burying the lede, which is that Liv's song is apparently the Space Jam theme.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

We're burying the lede, which is that Liv's song is apparently the Space Jam theme.

This and the makeover montage set to Rupaul were very very good.

This episode was just a lot of fun in general. I love this show, it's still so drat good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

esperterra posted:

This and the makeover montage set to Rupaul were very very good.

I just finished watching Drag Race season 9, so as soon as that song started I was giggling like an idiot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phylodox posted:

I just finished watching Drag Race season 9, so as soon as that song started I was giggling like an idiot.

It was very perfect for my general mood right now, which is all RPDR all the loving time w/ AS3 ending this week and Season 10 starting next week (on my birthday!! thx ru)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest part of the episode was definitely how both times Liv fell in love they played "Truly Madly Deeply."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I hope they keep playing Savage Garden during her monologues in part 2 next week. Lot of good gags this episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ahaha Liv is still on hopeless romantic brain.

Holy poo poo Major as Macho Man Randy Savage was :discourse:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it just me or is Liv going way harder into the brains she eats this season?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Each season has stepped that aspect up and it's bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's really my one big complaint about the show.

The worst part is, if they took the time to set it up as some kind of coping mechanism for Liv or something, where as increasingly more hosed up poo poo has happened to her so she's using brains like drugs or some poo poo I would be way into it.

sometimes i put too much thought into this show

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's like she's in full blue brain mode all the time now and it's dumb and bad.

Jazz Police
Nov 6, 2009

It's your fault, man.
Agreed- a simple explanation about the brains affecting Liv more strongly because she's actively trying to see visions would go a long way. The personalities of the week can become really grating.

On the other hand, loose-lipped Blaine was hilarious.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jazz Police posted:

Agreed- a simple explanation about the brains affecting Liv more strongly because she's actively trying to see visions would go a long way. The personalities of the week can become really grating.

On the other hand, loose-lipped Blaine was hilarious.

Yeah, it was fun to see the brains effecting everyone else the way the do Liv in this episode, but holy poo poo if all the characters have wild over top personalities that change all the time this show is going to be unwatchable.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Like there's a lot of compelling character work they could do with Liv eating the brains of complicated and interesting people and juxtaposing that with her own life, but mashing the stereotype button over and over again has gotten really old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's two bad episodes in a row.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well that's two bad episodes in a row.

The previous episode was good. This one was merely ok.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Major’s wrestling persona alone elevates this episode beyond simply “ok”.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tim

Timmerson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Major’s wrestling persona alone elevates this episode beyond simply “ok”.

Four minutes of funny couldn't save the rest of the episode.

• Locked thread