Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ariong wasn't complaining, they were responding to the person who said there was too much unearned drama so far. hth

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ariong posted:

Yeah, and those two episodes haven’t been very dramatic IMO. What’s your point?

I think they were talking your post as a complaint rather than a counterpoint.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
MBMBaM in Dallas??? I wanna go!!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ah. Allow me to clarify. As much as I loved the latter part of Balance, I very much appreciate that all of the mini-arcs have been much more lighthearted. That’s why I was so suprised that someone would compare it to the Stolen Century, when so far Dust has been much more fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

COLUMBUS SHOW HELL YEAH

What times are these shows usually?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ariong posted:

Ah. Allow me to clarify. As much as I loved the latter part of Balance, I very much appreciate that all of the mini-arcs have been much more lighthearted. That’s why I was so suprised that someone would compare it to the Stolen Century, when so far Dust has been much more fun.

All of this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Norse Code posted:

I like Dust so far! The story's setting is awesome.

Also, Jeremiah Blackwell and Dylan Mathis kind of sound like school shooter names if I'm bein' honest.

School shooters have ruined the Dylan brand, it’s true

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I fell like I'd be more into Dust if it actually felt like it was leaning into being a Western, rather than yet another story about how vampires and werewolves hate each other told through a fairly rote murder mystery.

I got worried as soon as I heard Travis was putting in urban supernatural elements, and this is exactly why. It ends becoming the same exact dumb power struggle with a Romeo and Juliet story at the middle.

yeah the vampire/werewolf stuff kind of undercuts everything in a weird way

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the music alters the tone to more dramatic than it actually is

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe it's only because I was only half paying attention but I thought this explicitly wasn't a "vampires hate werewolves" universe, it was just that two families (or factions or whatever) were feuding, but outside of that, all the races treat each other normally.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What I'm missing most is the old west vibe. So far everything could have taken place in a modern farm town, or even a small suburb.

Replace "saloon" with bar and it could be anywhere, anytime. There are no anchors to locale or period yet.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Waffleman_ posted:

COLUMBUS SHOW HELL YEAH

Hell yeah :hfive:

And usually around 8 iirc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And what of any preshows? I haven't finished the episode yet, so I don't know if they mentioned any for this tour.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What I'm missing most is the old west vibe. So far everything could have taken place in a modern farm town, or even a small suburb.

Replace "saloon" with bar and it could be anywhere, anytime. There are no anchors to locale or period yet.

I mean a lot of that has to do with anchoring it means you have to deal with the fact that the old west loving sucked and there's a reason like 75% of westerns made since the 70's have been about that.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

e: nm, fair enough

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I mean a lot of that has to do with anchoring it means you have to deal with the fact that the old west loving sucked and there's a reason like 75% of westerns made since the 70's have been about that.

Sure, and Travis said as much, but at that point it feels like it'd be better to just... do another setting?

Like you CAN do an aesthetics-only old west thing but that's much easier to do in a medium with uh, visuals.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That’s a very good point! I hadn’t thought about it, but they really aren’t utilizing the old west setting in the way that I had hoped. However, as stone cold said, we are only on the second episode. If we get to the end of this arc without the western theme adding anything to the story, then I’ll be worried.

Oh wait, there is one thing! It seems like the big conflict of this current storyline is that some poeple want the town to become incorperated, and some don’t. That’s one way the setting plays into things! Maybe there wll be more in that vein.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
There's also the fact that it's a mining town and a clue involving local silver, from the surrounding area, nearby, locally.

Oh man, I hope we get at least one beat involving mine exploration.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

wish these freakin' goofy brothers would come to Toronto

anyway I know this is the TAZ Complaints with a side of Polygon thread now, but MBMBaM has been consistently hilarious, even more than usual, lately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That cold open today was really grating I thought. I haven't listened to the rest yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Travis is not a bits guy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The cold open started very unfunny, and it didn’t get funny. However, it did get weirdly confrontational, which is almost as good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Speaking of weirdly confrontational, it was a little unfair in the Moneyzone for Griffin to dunk on Travis for trying to tie the dictionary bit they'd just gotten finished doing to their Zip Recruiter ad, as though bringing it up was as out-of-left-field or unprecedented as Peepum's Nasty Gum. I'm just about sure they've brought back bits from earlier in the episode for Moneyzones before. and Justin got in on it too referencing glass shark.

I'm not going to lean into some "secretly they all hate each other" nonsense, Travis just sometimes doesn't seem to get his due in some of these dust-ups and that one stood out.

Edit: Also yeah I hadn't put my finger on it, but the lack of "Old West" in Dust so far has been a bit odd. I noticed there hadn't been any fights yet, but I didn't realize there weren't even any guns, and politics or no the Old West without guns is like Star Wars without spaceships, sort of pointless. It also only just occurred to me that excising racial politics from the setting appears to have also removed natives (so far as we know).

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 13, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dolash posted:

Speaking of weirdly confrontational, it was a little unfair in the Moneyzone for Griffin to dunk on Travis for trying to tie the dictionary bit they'd just gotten finished doing to their Zip Recruiter ad, as though bringing it up was as out-of-left-field or unprecedented as Peepum's Nasty Gum. I'm just about sure they've brought back bits from earlier in the episode for Moneyzones before. and Justin got in on it too referencing glass shark.

I'm not going to lean into some "secretly they all hate each other" nonsense, Travis just sometimes doesn't seem to get his due in some of these dust-ups and that one stood out.

it was payback for that lovely opener. Travis deserved much worse. I'm surprised they didn't dog on every joke he tried through the episode.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was very much the definition of anti-humor, but I think knowing that just made me chuckle at the whole thing. Justin and Griffin let Travis prepare his own noose on that open.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I thought the opener was funny because I find it funny when Travis tortures his brothers

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Not a huge fan of that episode. It felt like an advert with a joke in the middle.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The first rule of smooch island is that you don't talk about smooch island.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013
Im honestly surprised by the reaction to the open. I thought it was really funny and I hope they do it again.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
never let this thread surprise you on how many of us don't like a thing. i don't think this thread will agree on liking anything the McElroys do, ever.

e; also it was like an SNL skit, where it would have been funny if it was 1/4 as long and then they moved on.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hey guys,

What do you think you would do iiiif:

You were listening to your tri-brother podcast and the middlest brother dragged out a moderately unfunny bit for 15 minutes?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

COLUMBUS SHOW HELL YEAH

When will they come to Pittsburgh drat it, its one state over!!!! :argh:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

They may all be Marshall boys, but Pitt can always and forever eat poo poo.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh wow, they're coming back to Atlanta? I would have assumed they were going to write off the whole city after the cursed episode

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the only time a brother has performed in Philadelphia was when Justin did Sawbones at some sort of convention where I hadn't heard of any of the other shows. It's devastating every time they announce a tour and don't come to Philly, but do DC and NYC.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Previa_fun posted:

Hey guys,

What do you think you would do iiiif:

You were listening to your tri-brother podcast and the middlest brother dragged out a moderately unfunny bit for 15 minutes?

I would post on the internet about how brothers roasting each other means they obviously can’t stand each other

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zeeman posted:

Oh wow, they're coming back to Atlanta? I would have assumed they were going to write off the whole city after the cursed episode

I have a feeling the boys have some sort of unannounced thing at DragonCon that weekend and scheduled the show for the same time so they don't have to go there twice.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Jameson will stand in the audience waiting to strike down any "goof bros" with a taser.

JAMESON! Cut that one out of the episode, Jameson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
The new merch store has lots of new Amnesty merch. But nothing for Dust and Commitment :(.