Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I once overfilled the oil on my DRZ to the point it came out of the fill hole. Despite having changed the oil at least twice previously, I forgot it has not one, but two drain plugs. Failure to pull the other drain plug means it didnt drain even half of its oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jamal posted:

I doubled up an oil filter o-ring once. It made a pretty big mess.

Yep, I did this one once. Dumped about a quart of oil on the driveway as soon as I started up the engine.

Also I once ran a fly cutter backwards across the entire surface of a part at 3000rpm and for like half an hour afterwards couldn't figure out why it was leaving such a lovely finish. :saddowns:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I once brought a car into a shop for loose lug nuts that I unknowingly forgot to torque a day earlier. Probably one of the dumbest things I've done.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jamal posted:

Yep, did that. Had a friend forget to put the cap back on the oil filler hole. Drove to my house and had lost almost all of it in the roughly 2 minutes the engine was running.

Edit: Same friend somehow hosed up installing wiper blades on that car, too. They do fly off like in the movies!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Godholio posted:

Yep, did that. Had a friend forget to put the cap back on the oil filler hole. Drove to my house and had lost almost all of it in the roughly 2 minutes the engine was running.

Edit: Same friend somehow hosed up installing wiper blades on that car, too. They do fly off like in the movies!

Well at least it wasn't part of the floor pan...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

I doubled up an oil filter o-ring once. It made a pretty big mess. And if an oil container has the cap off and is on the ground it will get knocked over.

I did that on a tractor a few years ago and it was double dumb because you can see everything you're doing on the tractor, large and in the open.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The surprise for me was, after getting a new ACVW engine (type 4 engine for my 73 bus), it had a lackluster PCV system due to the design and would spew oil out of the filler hole.

I 3D printed (!) a protype PCV and drain valve system, using an off-the-shelf valve. It worked, and a few oil changes later I accidentally forgot to put the oil cap back on before driving myself and three mates two hours south for a picnic.

Got there, checked the oil as normal (as I do after every long trip), and noticed the oil fill cap sitting next to the engine shroud. Oh no! Though I'd run my new engine dry. No mess, though, and actually mild suction down the oil fill port when the engine was running. Super happy with that.

Here's my designed oil separator/pcv system:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1742157

Worked so well as a prototype printed in nylon (would have had a few made in aluminum to sell if it worked well and I got myself a mini-CNC) that I just left it in there. A year later I sold the bus - it's still there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Who hasn’t poured oil in without replacing the drain plug or putting a new filter on? Not me. Never. Especially not more than once.
I didnt put a filter on all the way. That was fun.

Luckily I knew how dumb I sometimes am and used a tarp that trapped about 5qts of oil.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah I haven’t spend hours diagnosing a generator with no oil in it and a low oil cut off, no sir.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Speaking of type 4 VW engines. I had installed dual weber 40 IDFs and a mallory unilite ignition system on my 914. I couldn't for the life of me get the fucker to start. I kept turning the distributor this way and that, thinking I'd not set enough advance. Oh it had about 180° of advance because I'd swapped the order of plugs and it backfired out the carb and caught one on fire.

After I'd rectified my mistake, I still couldn't get it to start. Not for the life of me would it get going.

Turns out I had left it in gear on the stands and never noticed the starter was spinning the engine with the entire drivetrain engaged in gear. :ughh:

After that is when I found out I'd wrapped the clutch and throttle cables around each other. Every time I pushed the clutch pedal in, the revs would shoot right up. That piece of poo poo taught me so much about working on cars. Like to not leave a brake system open for a month. The 914 has a proportioning valve that must be bench bled and if air enters it, it will not leave. Man, I think I made everything I touched worse for a while there.

The PO of my present project car is the guy that bought the car and his first toolbox on the same day. That toolbox was a leatherman and a roll of electrical tape.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
At a Firestone I worked at they gave the FNG an oil change and told him to use the bulk oil dispenser to fill it with. When he was done he couldn't get the car to start because he'd let the dispenser indicator go around 5 times instead of 5 digits, so the engine had several gallons of oil instead of a little more than one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Worked so well as a prototype printed in nylon (would have had a few made in aluminum to sell if it worked well and I got myself a mini-CNC) that I just left it in there. A year later I sold the bus - it's still there.

Some future owner is going to be seriously confused. "There's no part id! I've never seen anything like this! What does it do! :psyduck:"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've certainly never tried to start my car for 10 minutes, checking grounds and fuses, only to realized that I hadn't actually pushed the clutch all the way in

Never ever happened to me

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
I can't seem to prevent myself from dropping the old oil filter into the very full oil drip pan, splashing oil everywhere.

um excuse me posted:

I once brought a car into a shop for loose lug nuts that I unknowingly forgot to torque a day earlier. Probably one of the dumbest things I've done.

Me, too. :saddowns:

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 13, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

I've certainly never tried to start my car for 10 minutes, checking grounds and fuses, only to realized that I hadn't actually pushed the clutch all the way in

Never ever happened to me

Let's talk about loving seat safety switches

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tactlessbastard posted:

Let's talk about loving seat safety switches
I know, he's so dreamy. :allears:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have never spend an afternoon troubleshooting my rear window defroster only to find that it wasn't fog on the inside of the glass, but light dirt that showed up in the morning sun

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I know, he's so dreamy. :allears:

You just want the green card.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You just want the green card.
I was going to apply to be secretary of state, but they want something long-term to give you an employment visa.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

InitialDave posted:

I was going to apply to be secretary of state, but they want something long-term to give you an employment visa.

:holymoley:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jamal posted:

Yes. Bonus points if this happens on your driveway and the clouds unleash a monsoon of rain after it dumped out a few quarts of oil at 10-20 PSI or whatever in a few seconds. Took 100 pounds of cat litter to clean that mess up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've definitely never let the battery terminals get dirty enough to shut the whole car down, then called Dad from 45 minutes away to help figure it out, only for him to ultimately clean my battery terminals for me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I did some electrical work on my bike to hook up a quick charge port and a USB outlet. Put everything back together and found that it won't fire up, then spent way too long double and triple checking the wiring harness before realizing the kill switch was off.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Who hasn’t poured oil in without replacing the drain plug or putting a new filter on? Not me. Never. Especially not more than once.

Firing up my first motorcycle after being so proud of doing the oil change all by myself and quickly realizing that I forgot to replace the oil cap because I was getting sprayed with oil from below, panicing and laying it over while my dad watched and laughed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I totally haven't missed that the f/r lever on my forklift at work wasn't in neutral and walked all the way across the plant to get the forklift maintenance guy to diagnose why it wasn't starting.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
I've owned mostly stick shifts. On more than one automatic, I've hosed with battery connections and fuses for 5 minutes before realizing I was trying to start it with the gear selector in D or R.

In my Jiffy Lube days, I double-gasketed an OF on a Jeep 4.0L. We did those filters from the top side and I was the hood tech. The pit guy was a dumbass, too - for the pressure check he decided to roll the sump out of the way and stand directly under the filter. I can still hear him screaming "SHUTITOFFSHUTITOFFSHUTITOFFFFFF!!!!!"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I definitely did not put on my calipers back in the wrong side so the bleed screws were facing down and no matter how much you bleed you still have a squishy pedal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmdizzle posted:

I've owned mostly stick shifts. On more than one automatic, I've hosed with battery connections and fuses for 5 minutes before realizing I was trying to start it with the gear selector in D or R.

How do you even get it into drive? Many cars won't even let you remove the key if it's not in park.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InitialDave posted:

I just spent 20 minutes trying to diagnose a no-start on a car I myself removed the engine earthing strap from.

I am a horrible mechanical failure.
I just now realized more likely than not why my Probe never started after I swapped the motor...

10 years ago me blamed it on the leftovers of an aftermarket alarm system and sold the car for $500.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I never ever hosed around with the bridge saddles on my guitar while cleaning it and then sold it because it wouldn't play in tune. Not this guy. Nuh uh.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The number of times I've sold someone a low beam headlight that they said they were going to install only to have them come back confused because the light they pulled out isn't the same one is unreal. Then I walk out, pull out the lowbeam that is always tucked back in some corner and they spend the next 5 minutes watching angrily while I do it for them. :v:

Then I usually tell them about the time I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why my headlights didn't work after changing them. I had unhooked the battery. :v:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

Firing up my first motorcycle after being so proud of doing the oil change all by myself and quickly realizing that I forgot to replace the oil cap because I was getting sprayed with oil from below, panicing and laying it over while my dad watched and laughed.

I did something like that recently, I was starting it up to circulate the new oil but left the filler cap off and the funnel still in. The spinning clutch shot the funnel out and then misted my workbench with oil. :thumbsup:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Tried everything under the sun to get my truck to start after rebuilding the carb for the first time and changing plug wires. Parked on an incline and was essentially out of gas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spent four months putting together my first motorcycle (bought as a non-runner from a barn). Got it fully repaired and running smoothly. Took it down to the mechanic to have it inspected to get a license plate. Passed the inspection. Confidently strode out to the bike, hopped on, and powerfully stomped the kick starter. Had left the bike in first gear so it jerked forwards two feet and fell over in full sight of all the mechanics.

...was something that certainly never happened to me, no

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cojawfee posted:

How do you even get it into drive? Many cars won't even let you remove the key if it's not in park.

My 99 Acura will gladly let you do whatever with the key in or out, apparently. I've started it multiple times in neutral and tried to in multiple gears.

Granted this whole car is a mechanical failure.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

My 99 Acura will gladly let you do whatever with the key in or out, apparently. I've started it multiple times in neutral and tried to in multiple gears.

Granted this whole car is a mechanical failure.

my 96 f150 would basically start with a paperclip and would run fine with the key out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Plinkey posted:

my 96 f150 would basically start with a paperclip and would run fine with the key out.

Hell my Dad's 96 explorer doesn't need anything at all. Just turn the ignition. It always thinks the key is in 😀

Though the steering column may randomly lock if the key is not in, fun times.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This one stumped me, my dad, and a couple friends he had brought over for their opinions as well. He had the original quadrajet on my C10 rebuilt but was never happy with it. So not long after we got it on the road, we bought the then-brand-new Edelbrock Quadrajet to replace it.

It ran even worse. It would run okay with no air cleaner whatsoever, but once you put the riser on it, it would start running like poo poo. Nobody could figure out why, so we decided to return the carb because it must be defective.

While in the car on the way to the store... I noticed a large vacuum port on the back of the carb baseplate. Nobody had checked it because the factory carb had a molded in block off, but the Edelbrock had it as a threaded open hole. Thus, a massive vacuum leak.

We still exchanged the carb.

I would later discover that the reason the old carb "never ran right" was the baseplate gasket. The Edelbrock came with a normal gasket that only exposed the venturis. The old one had a gasket that also exposed some small channels in the base plate between the secondaries.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Yeah I had a 96 Cherokee where the ignition tumblers were so worn, it would start with anything that you could fit into the keyhole. It would also let you take the key out with the car running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I've had more than one car where the key/cylinder was so worn that I could pull it out in any position.

But thinking back on it, I know at least one of those times I was working on something on the console or dashboard and had to move the shift lever out of the way. Then I go to try to start it without putting it back into park or neutral.

e: I definitely could pull the key out anytime on my '98 Villager. More than once, I left it in reverse instead of park overnight. I use my parking brake religiously, and I did turn the ignition and lights off. I was just so dog-rear end tired getting home from work that I failed to notice that I hadn't put the column shifter all the way up.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 14, 2018