Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenNight posted:

Those big black racks could use a good pounding.

We need to stress test the load bearing capabilities of these racks. Get the zipties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Got some last-minute new hire notifications I meant to take care of after our company-wide Town Hall meeting today. But it turns out our company is getting bought so things were a little more exciting than usual so I totally forgot about them.

It's time like this that your Powershell scripts turn into more than just resume fodder :toot:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 13, 2018

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MF_James posted:

My dad fell for a scam a bit ago, well sort of, he got one of those pop-ups that told him he had an infection and to call whatever number, gave the guy remote access and answered some questions (SSN etc etc), but when it came time to pay the dude, he wanted $480 and my dad talked him into a senior discount to make it $380. At this point he finally decided to call one of his 2 sons that work in IT, he got hold of my brother first and he obviously squashed everything.

Honestly, he's loving 70 his SSN is probably purchasable somewhere for $2 already anyway, I thought it was hilarious that he talked the guy into a senior discount thinking he was getting a deal. Thank god he finally called one of us though.

Bit late, but my 70 yearold father had one of those cold calls where they claim to be from Microsoft and have detected a virus on your machine (then get you to install teamviewer and bend over).

He let them talk for a good 45 minutes, doing the fake investigations, going through the various fault finding processes and playing along. They were struggling to get the teamviewer to connect while he asked "is it because of the virus?".

He knew drat well he didn't have the internet in his home. He just gets bored...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really hate the inconsistent version numbering file name conventions AVAYA uses even within the same products.

Somehow ADMIN10_1_0_0_3.zip is the more recent version than ADMIN10_1_237.zip

I guess there’s an implied _0_0 in the second one. I mean, why would you ever want your files to sort alphabetically by version? :suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, same as having 1.3 being older than 1.23. If you know you're going into two numbers then use 1.03 to avoid the ambiguity of it all, or have the delineators be obvious.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, same as having 1.3 being older than 1.23. If you know you're going into two numbers then use 1.03 to avoid the ambiguity of it all, or have the delineators be obvious.

The preceding zero is one of those things that just aggravates by its absence. 2018-1-1 vs 2018-01-01 makes me crazy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It feels pretty good, for once, to be the guy yelling at another company over how they need to check their own poo poo before reporting an outage on my end.

Sorry, poor NOC person, who probably just called me because the process said to and had to cover their own rear end.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Time for some levity!

Solution to a ticket of a malfunctioning monitor.

quote:

Undocked and recorked again solved the problem.

Guess the user was drunk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
http://blog.viacom.com/2018/03/viacom-to-support-courageous-youth-activists-who-have-had-enough-of-gun-violence/

For 17 minutes tomorrow morning, Viacom will be pulling all of it's channels off the air.

I'm going to start an office pool to see who can guess how many customers call to complain because their lovely daytime television has been interrupted.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 13, 2018

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Dog_Meat posted:

Bit late, but my 70 yearold father had one of those cold calls where they claim to be from Microsoft and have detected a virus on your machine (then get you to install teamviewer and bend over).

He let them talk for a good 45 minutes, doing the fake investigations, going through the various fault finding processes and playing along. They were struggling to get the teamviewer to connect while he asked "is it because of the virus?".

He knew drat well he didn't have the internet in his home. He just gets bored...

God's work. Give that man a beer for saving someone else from getting hit

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dog_Meat posted:

How did he download teamviewer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jaded Burnout posted:

He fake downloaded it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, that was the problem they were trying to resolve for 30 minutes. :D

"I'm typing the address into the bar but it's saying it can't find any internet connection". After a LONG time they asked about his home internet and he innocently said "oh I don't have that". Then hung up.

A trolling personality and retirement boredom is a dangerous mix...

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A power outage came in. :v: If it lasts for 5 minutes more we all get to go home early.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kyrosiris posted:

A power outage came in. :v: If it lasts for 5 minutes more we all get to go home early.

Oh look, the clocks are speeding up for some reason.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My current job, we had a construction vehicle down the road know down out power over the summer. We were required to stay on property for 4 hours before they would allow us to go home. The power outage lasted a bit over 3.5 hours, sadly, but I did get a nice nap in my car, and we were payed for that time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zil posted:

You joke, but they're still fixing all the European clocks that derive time from 50Hz AC instead of network or atomic clock.

All because of a country not providing power to the European grid for political reasons and that caused the frequency to dip ever so slightly, clocks ended up 6 minutes slow.
And now they're running the mains at slightly elevated frequency to let those clocks catch up again. :eng99:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zil posted:

I'm home now, if that gives you any indication of what happened.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Geemer posted:

You joke, but they're still fixing all the European clocks that derive time from 50Hz AC instead of network or atomic clock.

All because of a country not providing power to the European grid for political reasons and that caused the frequency to dip ever so slightly, clocks ended up 6 minutes slow.
And now they're running the mains at slightly elevated frequency to let those clocks catch up again. :eng99:

:cripes:

This sounds super hosed up, got a source?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wibla posted:

I didn't post one initially because I had only read Dutch articles about it, but here's one in English.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/08/european-clocks-lose-six-minutes-dispute-power-electricity-grid

Googling European Clocks 6 minutes will give you a ton of other sources as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wibla posted:

https://thehustle.co/european-clocks-serbian-power-grid/

Basically, there's a lot of ethnic Serbians who live in Northern Kosovo that refuse to pay their electricity bills and Kosovo stopped providing power to them for free in December, this slight dip in the amount of power provided to the entirety of europe caused clocks to lose 6 minutes in the last 3 months.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tom Scott did a short video about it, if you care about seeing a grown man holding a TeasMaid, and don't want to read a couple hundred words because your eyes are lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij-JjzCa7o

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is not a common feeling, I know, but I loving hate Tom Scott. Hit self-satisfied delivery really grinds my gears.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is not a common feeling, I know, but I loving hate Tom Scott. Hit self-satisfied delivery really grinds my gears.

Could be worse. That chills guy is hard to listen to. :suicide:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't mind him, but I recently learnt the reason that he wears the same clothes in every video is because they are his only clothes and I can't get that out of my head whenever I watch his videos.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kurieg posted:

https://thehustle.co/european-clocks-serbian-power-grid/

Basically, there's a lot of ethnic Serbians who live in Northern Kosovo that refuse to pay their electricity bills and Kosovo stopped providing power to them for free in December, this slight dip in the amount of power provided to the entirety of europe caused clocks to lose 6 minutes in the last 3 months.

6 minutes eh

Clearly someone in Kosovo really hates kerberos :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The TeasMaid has to be the most :britain: invention ever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

The TeasMaid has to be the most :britain: invention ever.

Our tanks all have built in kettles so soldiers can drink hot tea while making war.

It's actually part of the specs for them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-british-perfected-the-art-of-brewing-tea-inside-an-armored-vehicle-1cc012f3ee54

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

I don't mind him, but I recently learnt the reason that he wears the same clothes in every video is because they are his only clothes and I can't get that out of my head whenever I watch his videos.

You learned wrong then. On the "Matt and Tom" channel they had an episode about his clothes. It's basically a closet full of red T-shirts and jeans, because branding, something about matching the site's color to the red shirt, and youthful rebellion against any shirt with a company logo that, well.. turned into branding.

Edit: There you go

Jaded Burnout posted:

All I hear is a nerd that's genuinely happy about sharing some cool things/facts. It all depends on the person, I guess.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 14, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

You learned wrong then. On the "Matt and Tom" channel they had an episode about his clothes. It's basically a closet full of red T-shirts and jeans, because branding, something about matching the site's color to the red shirt, and youthful rebellion against any shirt with a company logo that, well.. turned into branding.

Edit: There you go

All I hear is a nerd that's genuinely happy about sharing some cool things/facts. It all depends on the person, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYd_8-Ps_kw

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

Hey, can you make us a folder on the common share? We want these 4 people to have access to it. Thanks. We'd do it on our department share, but we need a short file path.

Yeah, sure. Why do you need a short file path though?

quote:

If we put it too close to the root, instructors will see it and want to change it.

But... the...access... you asked...

:wtc:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, sure. Why do you need a short file path though?

But... the...access... you asked...

:wtc:

ugh this undercover ops poo poo is annoying as hell. "If this guy sees the folder he's going to want access to it! Then he'll want to rename it and put it somewhere else! We need a bunch of workarounds to hide this folder from these people."

No, gently caress you, tell them No like I'm telling you right now. It's not hard. "Messing with this folder is not your responsibility, let X take care of it, thanks."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Yeah, and moreover, every department and every person in every department can see the common share. That's why it's common. I can restrict access just as well to folders in each share! poo poo, if you really really REALLY don't want people to know it exists, I'll call a folder A, and then make it so no one can open that but you. I just don't understand the thought process.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows seriously needs a "can not be moved or renamed" flag for folders. The number of calls about folders gone missing because someone accidentally dragged it into a neighboring one...

I wonder if some deny-permission applied to EVERYONE on just the folder itself (not recursively) could do the trick.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When I get a request like that I can just tell people to go create a group, invite whomever they like, and mark it private.

It has been mandated that no new data goes in the on-prem shares.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

When I get a request like that I can just tell people to go create a group, invite whomever they like, and mark it private.

It has been mandated that no new data goes in the on-prem shares.

We don't do anything like that. We also have FOIP to deal with, so I think that would likely not work if we did try.

nielsm posted:

Windows seriously needs a "can not be moved or renamed" flag for folders. The number of calls about folders gone missing because someone accidentally dragged it into a neighboring one...

I wonder if some deny-permission applied to EVERYONE on just the folder itself (not recursively) could do the trick.

Just don't give people modify access on the folder. If they have Read/Write or lower, they can't move or rename a folder.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Something tells me I shouldn't reboot my Windows 7 work PC to apply the latest updates...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What would give you that idea?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/973916018996400128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
This hit a couple of servers in our test patch group.

Thank god for test patch group.