Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Stex T posted:

Hot dogs are serious poo poo in West Virginia.

:laffo: serious business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AnoHito posted:

I was born, raised, and currently live in Nee Jersey, and not only have I never even seen a Portuguese restaurant, I don't even what the hell Portuguese food is like.

Check out the Ironbound section of Newark, there’s tons of amazing Portuguese and Brazilian food. Portuguese seafood is awesome.

That said I’m surprised it wasn’t Italian food, which is everywhere in NJ.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Stex T posted:

Hot dogs are serious poo poo in West Virginia.

You know that's an edited picture right

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nonsense, historical markers are always in Times New Roman.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Goon Danton posted:

Nonsense, historical markers are always in Times New Roman.

Except those found in North Africa.

They're in Algerian.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

flatluigi posted:

You know that's an edited picture right

No.

Stex T has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Mar 12, 2018

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought Pick lived in Portland.

Oregon does say "by"...

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Snowy posted:

Check out the Ironbound section of Newark, there’s tons of amazing Portuguese and Brazilian food. Portuguese seafood is awesome.

That said I’m surprised it wasn’t Italian food, which is everywhere in NJ.

Italian food is everywhere in a lot of states, which makes it unlikely to show up much in a map like this. Much like Chinese restaurants.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Was quite distressed to see the one flyout county name was not actually "PEASANTS" on re-read.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Guess I'm never ordering a hot dog in West Virginia unless slaw means something else to them than it does in Texas.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I want to see the map of "Southern Style Sweet Tea Availability".

I mean, you call sodas* "sugar water"? Drink this!

* I thought "cokes" in my head, but managed to still write "sodas".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I went into a pizza place that had three tea dispensers available, one labeled "Unsweet," one labeled "Sweet" and another labeled "Southern Sweet." And I appreciate that.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Seen in the offices of EUROSTAT, who really should know better.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
from the spaceflight thread

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WHOMP there it jizz posted:

from the spaceflight thread

Holy poo poo, that Solar Probe Plus will be going almost 7 tenths light speed!

Domar
Nov 4, 2010
1879 light created for the first time.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Glazier posted:

Holy poo poo, that Solar Probe Plus will be going almost 7 tenths light speed!

Whoa, no, not even close. That's 724,204 km/h, and c is 300,000 km/s. This thing will be going about 200 km/s at its peak. That's still crazy fast, but not remotely approaching 0.7c.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Whoa, no, not even close. That's 724,204 km/h, and c is 300,000 km/s. This thing will be going about 200 km/s at its peak. That's still crazy fast, but not remotely approaching 0.7c.

No, that's just distance traveled. Light was invented in 1879 and traveled about 1053387.64 km since. c = (1053387640 m/((2018-1879)*365*24*60*60 s) = 0.240307215 m / s! According to the graph the probe travelled 724204 km since 2018 so it's really a lot faster than light. Makes sense since it's a probe going into the sun, it has to travel faster than light to overcome photon shower slowdown.

Selklubber has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Mar 13, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

marshmallow creep posted:

I went into a pizza place that had three tea dispensers available, one labeled "Unsweet," one labeled "Sweet" and another labeled "Southern Sweet." And I appreciate that.

Southern sweet tea is literally just a simple syrup.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Ok, good to know I'm still rubbish at maths! :)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Selklubber posted:

No, that's just distance traveled. Light was invented in 1879 and traveled about 1053387.64 km since. c = (1053387640 m/((2018-1879)*365*24*60*60 s) = 0.240307215 m / s! According to the graph the probe travelled 724204 km since 2018 so it's really a lot faster than light. Makes sense since it's a probe going into the sun, it has to travel faster than light to overcome photon shower slowdown.

Accurate. This is why they call the olden times "The Dark Ages", as light had not yet been invented.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Or to look at it another way, if the y-axis on that was drawn to scale, the image would be roughly 1080 by 3843000 pixels in size.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mingo? Monogalia? Wetzel? And at least two X-men.
How many of those names are actually real?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

Or to look at it another way, if the y-axis on that was drawn to scale, the image would be roughly 1080 by 3843000 pixels in size.

And then some rear end in a top hat would have quoted it just to say "cool" :argh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/Reweth/status/973618726154022912

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Stoatbringer posted:

I count 3 X-Men.

Logan
Summers
Monroe

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

omnibobb posted:

I count 3 X-Men.

Logan
Summers
Monroe

Well I guess Summers could actually count as multiple.

And there are 2 Logan's these days.

Also 2 Monroes.

X-Men be crazy.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Stoatbringer posted:

All of them, there's a lot of Native American named places here in WV. The rest are named after the people who came and took stuff from the Native Americans.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

warning: xkcd

Strangely missing the hot dog/condom one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

warning: xkcd

Strangely missing the hot dog/condom one.

I think you're missing the joke. :v:

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

So ...

Condom usage is directly related to hotdog consumtion in the US. I just wonder, were those hotdogs consumed before or after sex? How many sausages or even hot-dogs were lost in the abyss? It's an interesting topic to look into.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

omnibobb posted:

I count 3 X-Men.

Logan
Summers
Monroe

Cabell.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MrOzzy posted:

So ...

Condom usage is directly related to hotdog consumtion in the US. I just wonder, were those hotdogs consumed before or after sex? How many sausages or even hot-dogs were lost in the abyss? It's an interesting topic to look into.

How are you getting that from that data

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I would think that increased hot dog consumption would correlate with higher sexual activity, personally

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

(via twitter)

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

Ignite Memories posted:

How are you getting that from that data

It's in the key:

According to the chart condom usage is directly related to hot dog consumption amongst US students.
This leads me to conclude that Frankfurters Würst is used as a penis surrogate by US students when there isn't a direct availability of a condom. You can see fewer Frankfurters Würst are 'consumed' when condom usage increases.

"Want to suck my Würst my dear?"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrOzzy posted:

It's in the key:

According to the chart condom usage is directly related to hot dog consumption amongst US students.
This leads me to conclude that Frankfurters Würst is used as a penis surrogate by US students when there isn't a direct availability of a condom. You can see fewer Frankfurters Würst are 'consumed' when condom usage increases.

You’re the wurst. :colbert:

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

"Putting chaos into order"

.. right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Guess I'm never ordering a hot dog in West Virginia unless slaw means something else to them than it does in Texas.

it's probably cabbage and some other leafy veggies cut up and mixed with mayo, idk how yall do slaw tho

i like slaw without mayo by the by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MrOzzy posted:

It's in the key:

The chart is only mapping those two sets of data next to each other. Actually looking at the information on chart should make it obvious there is not a correlation