Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This is stupid, why aren't people allowed to say gently caress, poo poo, rear end, and jizz etc. on tv? It's not for the children I can tell you that much, kids swear all the time & I should know - I used to be one. Like, if you're an adult and you're offended by hearing a naughty word on tv (minus racial slurs obviously), who are you kidding? You've absolutely used it yourself in the past, so what the gently caress. Any time a news anchor or someone in the background says gently caress on accident everyones reaction is to gasp like someone just pissed in an open casket. Get a grip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
People in the midwest dont like cussing

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I heard a racial slur on FX that I didn't think you could say anywhere on TV. Something about black people and long projectiles

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
There are quite a few cable networks that are loosening up the restrictions on swearing. FX for sure. USA too. There are probably more too.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

If you watch "The Dambusters", the squadron leader named his dog "n-word". So there's that.

Also "Star Wars" ripped off the death star attack from that movie. No bs. You tube that shite.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Navin Johnson posted:

If you watch "The Dambusters", the squadron leader named his dog "n-word". So there's that.

Also "Star Wars" ripped off the death star attack from that movie. No bs. You tube that shite.

My dad grew up next to some people who named their dog the same thing and itd get out so theyd go around the neighborhood calling for it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You can, it just depends on how foul it is.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_v._Pacifica_Foundation

quote:

In 1973, a father complained to the FCC that his son had heard the George Carlin routine "Filthy Words" broadcast one afternoon over WBAI, a Pacifica Foundation FM radio station in New York City. Pacifica received censure from the FCC, in the form of a letter of reprimand, for allegedly violating FCC regulations which prohibited broadcasting indecent material.

After listening to the entire broadcast with his son, he filed a complaint that ensured the First Amendment is restricted when you are broadcasting.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
yourr supposed to fill in the blanks urself

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
by swearing at the tv

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
religious retards and old people who are religious retards

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There's nothing wrong with broadcast TV conforming to community standards. It's not just a religious thing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Swearing in general should be limited.

It loses its catharsis and effect if its ubiquitous.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Playing baseball as a kid we swore up and down. Seeing the coach, made us stop for some reason.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Swearing makes people ugly imo.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
how come u can say dick but u cant show a dick. makes u think

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Because it makes the baby jesus cry every time you say gently caress.
Or poo poo.
Or oval office.

That's why you arsehole.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

jimmyjams posted:

how come u can say dick but u cant show a dick. makes u think

You can watch a man shoot lead but you can’t watch a man shoot a load, what the gently caress is wrong with this country.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mega64 posted:

You can watch a man shoot lead but you can’t watch a man shoot a load, what the gently caress is wrong with this country.

Zardoz

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Isn't censoring cuss words a violation of free speech?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

super sweet best pal posted:

you don't have a right to be on tv

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

super sweet best pal posted:

No because there is such a thing as indecency and hate speech which are not free speech

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That said the definition of Indecent should probably change now that I can see models posting their poop on instagram, kids today know more about loving than any other generation on earth before

these kids are seeing triple penetration online before learning algebra, and cussing like sailors on twitch, is someone saying “poo poo” on the TV (which is now just another less popular screen) really make a difference to society

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

gently caress, poo poo, rear end, and jizz...gently caress... gently caress...

Reported

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Yipee kiyeah monstertrucker.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my favorite is how few times they swear in breaking bad but how many times they like do something horrific onscreen

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
In Canada shows go totally uncensored past like 9:00 PM. I think that's part of the reason why Trailer Park Boys was allowed to exist here.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Jesus loving Christ went his whole loving life without loving saying the f word loving once. I loving think you can loving live without loving swearing for a loving while, gently caress

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Suck my dick,
You gently caress-man

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Suck my dick,
You Fish-man

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
mother father chinese dentist

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Probably for the same reason they blur the breasts on Renaissance art in a TV show that depicts ultra-violence and cannibalism:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are Germanic words and Murica won WW2.

What are you some kinda Nazi?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
decent people don't want to hear bad words when we're enjoying our entertainment

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Janet Jackson.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOn56F6BaAY

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Old religious retard boomers

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

PathAsc posted:

Old religious retard boomers

Australia has f-bombs and full frontal nudity at 8:30, get with the times America.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Dennis System posted:

There's nothing wrong with broadcast TV conforming to community standards. It's not just a religious thing.

Wouldn’t want shows about people being shot to death to have any nasty language. That would be uncouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Inept posted:

Wouldn’t want shows about people being shot to death to have any nasty language. That would be uncouth.

Well, yeah. If it was up to me broadcast TV wouldn't show any graphic violence.

• Locked thread