Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Just as a reminder, DRV3 isn't the sequel/ending to this. DR3, the double anime series and the ending special, Super Danganronpa 2.5, are.

Though also as a reminder, they exist purely to crush your affection into tiny pieces and hurt you for the majority of their runs, so maybe don't rush to watch them for closure.

That reminder is so much truth. To elaborate on the why would of course be spoilers, just know that the reminder should definitely be heeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

I actually kinda liked Despair Girls. I mean, it also existed to hurt you for the majority of its time, and it was nearly entirely ancillary, but I love Toko/Sayo, and she really shines in that game. The game play was boring at best and the game was really, really uncomfortable in large quantities, but I dunno, I feel like the relationship between Komaru and Toko was fun. DR3... not so much. I guess it has pay off, but good poo poo. Half of that series is just hard to watch emotionally, and half of it is just hard to watch because it's entirely pointless edginess.

Yoko Taro's Dispair Girls

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ultra Despair Girls has some truly terrible bits, but it's at least got a fairly respectable message buried in the poo poo and the friendship between Toko and Komaru is beautiful in a way. The gameplay being mediocre at best is just icing on the unfortunate cake.

Also Dangan Ronpa 3 is incredibly bad for what it is and it's message is stupid as gently caress compared to literally everything else, whilst partially ruining previous entries and generally making everyone look worse. Do not watch Dangan Ronpa 3, it is bad and I'm pretty sure if you actually wanted closure you could come up with something better on your own.

Hunt11 posted:

This at least isn't true and supplementary material released as part of the game does go into this.

Junko's true talent kind of is the problem, but so is her childhood.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Dangan Ronpa 3 is incredibly bad for what it is and it's message is stupid as gently caress compared to literally everything else, whilst partially ruining previous entries and generally making everyone look worse. Do not watch Dangan Ronpa 3, it is bad and I'm pretty sure if you actually wanted closure you could come up with something better on your own.

:agreed: there's a couple cool character moments here and there in the prequel half of the anime, but it's heavily outweighed by some very, very stupid things.

The one-shot 2.5 thing is okay though?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

:agreed: there's a couple cool character moments here and there in the prequel half of the anime, but it's heavily outweighed by some very, very stupid things.

The one-shot 2.5 thing is okay though?

Haven't watched the 2.5 thing, but it's about Nagito saving everyone so I've heard?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Haven't watched the 2.5 thing, but it's about Nagito saving everyone so I've heard?

not exactly, without spoiling anything it's best to just say "it's about Nagito", which is surely enough for people to know if they'd like to watch it or not ;)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Bifauxnen posted:

not exactly, without spoiling anything it's best to just say "it's about Nagito", which is surely enough for people to know if they'd like to watch it or not ;)

I think that's where you got your current avatar from, right?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Solitair posted:

I think that's where you got your current avatar from, right?

nah it's just some fanart I found somewhere, which happened to be perfect for representing a Mafia game I played in recently :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know this isn't over yet but thanks for the LP anyway, FPZero. It was quite the ride!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Aw, I wanted to see their adult, mutilated versions! Instead we get Hajime with an instant haircut and that's it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Haifisch posted:

I feel like you can get all the good parts of Despair Girls by just watching youtube videos of the Toko/Sayo interaction scenes. Everything else ranges from mediocre to :yikes:.

Agreed.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Thesaya posted:

Aw, I wanted to see their adult, mutilated versions! Instead we get Hajime with an instant haircut and that's it.

This is but one of many reasons that the last time we should have seen Hajime and Co. is the second to last update. This would allow us to imagine the details of (former) Ultimate Despair ourselves, and nothing would contradict our imaginations... as well as prevent the question of how Hajime was able to find scissors and a mirror so quickly.

Other reasons include DR3 and Despair Girls... for as good as Kodaka can be, he falters when it comes to specifics, and his imperfections become magnified when somebody else is directing his writing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Perhaps his many talents include Ultimate Hairdressing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I feel like I want someone to spoil UDG for me, including why everyone is so grossed out by it, because there's no way in heck I'll ever play any of these games but I'm super curious.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dog Kisser posted:

I feel like I want someone to spoil UDG for me, including why everyone is so grossed out by it

It's the child prostitution stuff

There, now you don't need to know more

EDIT: If you do need to know more, here is a 30 minute recap of the entire thing. Spoilers for UDG, if anybody cares.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2018

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sindai posted:

Perhaps his many talents include Ultimate Hairdressing.

You think that's a joke.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dancingbears posted:

It's the child prostitution stuff

There, now you don't need to know more

EDIT: If you do need to know more, here is a 30 minute recap of the entire thing. Spoilers for UDG, if anybody cares.

It's actually the fact that there is a literal mini-game based around groping the main character where the narrator asks you not to play with one hand as if that's a thing they expect. The child prostitution stuff is tonally consistent with the message of the work, the mini-game is not and awful. Also the gameplay is poo poo and it has a bunch of the problems from Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2's narratives magnified.

Although I guess some people might find it unpleasant and unnecessary, I find it unpleasant but as said tonally consistent with what the work is trying to be about.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 14, 2018

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
I guess I'm the odd duck out for not just hating UDG because of the pedophilia crap but also because the game mechanics themselves are pretty terrible and rage-inducing.

I also actually like DR3. :shrug:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's actually the fact that there is a literal mini-game based around groping the main character where the narrator asks you not to play with one hand as if that's a thing they expect. The child prostitution stuff is tonally consistent with the message of the work, the mini-game is not and awful. Also the gameplay is poo poo and it has a bunch of the problems from Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2's narratives magnified.

FWIW, that minigame has you STOPPING the groping, not doing it. It actually does fit in that the character doing it to you is incredibly mentally damaged, and too young to actually and willfully process just what's going on beyond "this is wrong and thus doing it is punishment", but that's the game going out of its way to make you incredibly uncomfortable. It's in really, really poor taste, and the humor makes it backfire, but you can tell this isn't supposed to be a good thing.

That's kind of a problem with the story of the game; there is a lot of really hosed up, sick poo poo going on in the backstories and stuff. Problem is, the game isn't willing to dive deeply enough into it to make it have enough impact, and the humor and attempt to keep with the series' overall tone just amplifies how uncomfortable and tone deaf poo poo is. The underlying structure and backstories are probably some of the darkest in the series, but the overall tone and presentation doesn't mesh with that at all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah UDG is not good in many ways and I'm certainly not going to LP it myself to show people why. Showing footage of the aforementioned minigame would probably be enough to get me probated or banned from the forum. If I did the LP myself, I'd just skip that whole section of the game in the LP.

Since we're talking about it, and since DR2 is over, I think it's safe to say that :siren: I don't really mind if you talk about UDG spoilers now, though please don't talk about specifics of DR3 or the DR2.5 OVA. :siren: I'm still thinking of possible ways to show them in the thread, whether that be through a simulcast of some kind or another method I haven't thought up yet.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Good thing I held off binge watching them right after the LP ended.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
I have to say, when I was playing this and Usami turned up again and beat Junko using the mechanics from her dumb minigame I actually laughed out loud, it was so good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Since we've been okayed I guess I'll talk a bit about some things. Firstly I think the actual attempt to discuss and look at abuse of children is by and large handled somewhat well and the villains are all actually basically okay characters. It's also neat that they use Toko/Syo as the other main character because there's plenty of hints that she was abused emotionally as a child.

Secondly the friendship between Toko and Komaru is fantastic, and in general the story is really good about handling their friendship and making it feel realistic and meaningful to both characters. Toko legit becomes a better person from her friendship with Komaru, and manages to shake off some of her issues around Byakuya whilst doing so.

Thirdly and finally the real tragedy of UDG is that beneath the godawful gameplay and questionable at best narrative/comedic decisions the actual plot and themes are kind of interesting and thoughtful, when related to how the entire series is a commentary on the idea that some people are talented and thus "deserve" more, or that hurting people is okay if it's to make them "better".

Also Monaca manages to be the most vile villain in the series which is impressive given Junko is Junko.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

dancingbears posted:

oh good there's one for Zero too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhlMsotFi4

I laughed when it shows Ryoko and Junko side by side and the big twist is instantly obvious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How do we know they aren't still despair types?

What did hajime do immediately?

Ask for a mirror and start screaming for a barb... oh.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

drilganronpa has some spoilers for the other games, just fyi y'all

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FPzero posted:

I don't really mind if you talk about UDG spoilers now, though please don't talk about specifics of DR3 or the DR2.5 OVA.

Okay, if anyone really wants to know the major stuff of UDG, here it is:

- Makoto's sister, Komaru, is alive and stuck in a city overrun with Monokumas. Byakuya is sent to help her out, but is captured. Touko then goes to prove that she's worthy of joining the Future Foundation because, y'know, serial killer alternate personality.
- Touko gets character development and Syo (seemingly) decides to stop killing people thanks to Komaru's influence. Touko and Komaru become friends.
- The villains of the game are elementary schoolers who suffered from abuse (physical, mental, sexual, etc.). One of these types of abuse, while said to be terrible, is played for laughs and involves you stripping down the victim of it, who also shows her underwear multiple times.
- Aoi's brother and Chihiro's dad both die for shock. The elementary schoolers seem to die, but all live.
- The main elementary schooler is a pickle-haired girl named Monaka, who is the only one that really seems to be all-in on the despair thing. She is the one who created all of the Monokuma robots in the game and her goal is to turn Komaru into a Junko 2.0 with a sadistic choice. She fails, of course.
- Komaeda is in the game as SHSL/Ultimate Despair with the Children of Hope. He's... not much different in personality, really.
- Izuru makes a brief cameo at the end where he collects the Junko AI from two of the robots involved in Monaka's plan.
- Touko exorcises a ghost at one point. This has nothing major to do with the plot, it's just a think that happens.
- Komaru survives the plot and stay behind in Towa City to help rebuild, with Touko sticking with her. Touko surviving is not really much of a surprise because the end of DR2 outright mentions it.
- Hagakure's mom shows up in a hub city as a character that Touko and Komaru interact with.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 14, 2018

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Here’s the thing: what I like (liked, I guess) about DR1 and DR2 was the murder mystery solving, and I’d venture to guess that’s the case for a lot of people.

Do all these other games like UDG, 2.5, and whatever else feature that same gameplay? Also, I’ve heard people say DR3 is bad. But does it have a killing game and class trials? Are they, for the most part, as well done as the vast majority of trials in both DR1 and 2?

The overarching story is...fine I guess, certainly more interesting when you’ve already played through the whole game and want to see how things resolve. But ultimately I don’t care about that nearly as much as I care about the core gameplay and the story arcs of each individual chapter. Anybody have any insight to offer here?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

UDG does not have a killing game in the same vein as DR1 and DR2. Basically, one person related to each of the characters in the original Danganronpa (or animals in the case of Celes and Touko) are taken to Towa City, and the Children of Hope make a game of trying to kill them while also savagely murdering people that already live in the city.

timp posted:

Also, I’ve heard people say DR3 is bad. But does it have a killing game and class trials?

I'm going to try to be as brief as possible to keep with FPZero's spoiler policy, but there are no class trials in DR3.

That's really to its benefit, though, since people were really down on the DR1 anime for trying to fast forward through the content in only 13 episodes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Unpopular opinion, but Iiiii liked the DR3 anime fine.
To be honest I think a larger problem with the entire franchise is that they have a great setup and great (and sometimes horrible) characters, but have no idea at all how to execute an ending.

DR3 had some really powerful moments, though!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just so it's clear, DR3 is the anime while DRV3 is the game, right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just so it's clear, DR3 is the anime while DRV3 is the game, right?
Correct.

DRV3 has gameplay & mysteries in the same vein as DR1 and 2. It's good and people should play it.

UDG does not, and has (terribly executed) shooting as its main gameplay mechanic. There's no mystery, just trying to stop literal children from murdering everyone. It's bad & you should just youtube the Toko/Komaru scenes since they're the only redeeming part of it.

DR3 is hard to talk about without spoilers, but it has mysteries(sort of) but no class trials. It has some good bits but is overall mediocre.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Poulpe posted:

DR3 had some really powerful moments, though!

Yes it does. As well as at least a couple of really good character arcs. But that just makes it all the worse for me, because those moments are married to long stretches of blistering mediocrity, gratuitous handwaves, and lost or deliberately abandoned plot threads- and yes, I get that the last factor are part and parcel to the experience as a whole, as another means of inflicting discomfort and unpleasantness on the viewer, but they leaned on it too hard in my opinion. And that was just one of many things they leaned too hard on, in a series of just plain bad decisions that torpedoed the work as a whole for me. If it was just bland or boring, that would be forgivable because it's forgettable... but lo and behold, there's just enough wheat to beguile you to sift through the chaff in hope of finding more, and to make it hurt a bit when there isn't any. And that I just can't stand.

But hey, if it worked for you, it worked for you- that's great. For my part, I just felt drained and annoyed when I finished, which is a hopelessness either not intended by the showmakes, or a level of meta I am simply not prepared to accept.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The OP for the DR2.5 anime is really good. Maybe the only good thing about the anime overall.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Feels weird to not be posting daily updates right now, heh.

Alright I have some important questions to ask people, and I'd like opinions here. Sorry if this comes of rambling, I'm bad about writing long posts without doing that. This concerns the Bonus Content I want to show off. I haven't really started work on any of it because I figured I've earned a small break from the LP after hitting the credits, but it's led to me questioning how I want to show it off.

What this mostly comes down to is the fact that for better or for worse, I kind of want to finish the LP sooner than later. It's been a long LP and I'm ready to be done with it because of all the time it takes away from doing other things. I'm not saying I want to skip showing the content just so I can be done, that's not really on the table. But I do want to find the easiest way for me to show the content while also juggling a lot of upcoming real-life obligations and projects due as my semester ends. As such, I've been considering a couple options for presenting all the extras.

First up is Danganronpa IF. When we beat the game, we unlocked one of the Bonus Modes called "Danganronpa IF". "IF" is actually a fanfiction light novel written by a Japanese novelist that was added to the game as a bonus and it presents an interesting alternate take on the first game. It's worth a read and I intended to play through and show it. But it's also fairly long from what I remember, taking a couple hours for me to read through on my own and it's nothing but text, though it is enhanced with music and some background imagery from the first game. I'd actually kicked around the idea of showing it off in the first LP but I decided against it for whatever reason. I'm not sure how best to present it. The easiest thing to do would be finding the script for the english translation online somewhere and just kinda dumping it in here over the course of a few updates, but that leaves out any music and backgrounds. Adding those in would mean recording the novel ingame and playing it back to add the transitions and music swaps and stuff, which was the way I'd intended to do it before feeling the burn on this LP. There's also one other option that I record the whole novel on Autoscroll and upload it in video episodes with no commentary so people can "watch" the novel instead, something that wouldn't take too much time to be honest but it's probably not peoples' preferred way to see it in a screenshot LP. Of course, I could always do both the script dump and video versions simultaneously and let people choose how they want to experience it. So for "IF" the choices are basically the following:
1. Pure script dump split into updates (quick and easy, but not very fancy or anything)
2. Script + music + backgrounds like normal updates do (long, but looks good)
3. Video updates (quick, but no screenshot version for people if they don't want to watch)
4. 1 + 3 (slightly less fast than 1 or 3 alone but not as long as 2 probably)
5. Some other way I haven't thought of?

Next is Island Mode. I don't really have a set of options here because I've already decided on how I'm going to handle it but I felt like mentioning my plan anyway. Island Mode in this game is pretty much the exact same as School Mode was in DR1 but with a different story premise considering we have a different cast and setting. So my plan here was to not bother with a detailed explanation of the mode and simply refer to the DR1 School Mode update for the actual mechanics. Instead, I thought I could show the full introduction to the mode and why there's no killing game going on in it instead of summarizing the intro like I did in the last LP. It should only take one update and I don't plan to go into detail on the Trip Tickets system and all the thousands of lines of bonus dialogue that comes from that whole system. I've never even done any of that on my own time.

There are also the few Bonus scenes that I missed out on for not having the right items at the right times and I plan to cover those like normal updates since they aren't too long or involved. I think we have 2 or 3 left to do after excluding the creepy one we voted to skip outright.

And finally the big one: The Free Time Roundups. This is the part that is going to take the most time. We did manage to finish some of the events before the end of the game (Nagito, Sonia, Gundham) and some people's events were partially started (Mikan, Fuyuhiko, Byakuya, Ibuki) but everyone else has a lengthy 5 Free Times to go through. We're looking at a minimum of 12 updates for Free Time Roundups and possibly over 20 of them depending on if I have to split events into two updates for length reasons. I'll be completely honest, I'm dreading going back and doing them all not because they aren't fun but just because of the time required to go back and record, screenshot, upload and transcribe each update. Like, I want to do them the normal way I do updates because I think those result in the highest quality update I can put out, but it's definitely the longest process and least appealing to me right now.

So given that, I've been thinking of other ways to handle the Free Times. One possibility was to record like normal and just take a screenshot for every line of dialogue like I do for trials and basically image dump the whole conversation. This isn't a very appealing way to handle it, plus I'd be forcing an absolute load of images on people, so I'm hesitant to do this. The other way was to record videos for each set of Free Times and edit them together in one long video update each. Considering Free Times are usually between 3 and 5 minutes each, we're probably looking at ~15-25 minute "episodes" of Free Time for each person that hasn't had their Free Times started. I'm partial to this idea from a time standpoint alone because I can edit video together much faster than I can do normal updates and I'm not spitting out hundred of images at a time into the thread. The obvious downside of course is that there would be no screenshot version of each update for people to read if they can't or don't want to watch a video. So the choices for the Free Times are as follows:
1. The normal way (long, but look nice like other updates)
2. Screenshot dumps (quick but unappealing and image-heavy)
3. Video updates (quick for me, but no screenshot version for people if they don't want to watch)
4. Some other way I haven't thought of?
I can't start recording Free Times until I make up my mind on this one because the recordings will be different depending on if I'm recording for video updates or screenshot ones (since I have to turn off the UI for all the screenshots, which I wouldn't do if I were doing purely video updates) so this one more than the others is the point that I need feedback on the most.

So please, I'd like your feedback on how to handle the bonus content for the LP. There's a lot to do that I don't want to abandon despite feeling the SSLP burn out so help me figure out a good compromise between quality and sanity here. I don't want to drag out the LP for another half-year just to get through the bonus content because I decided to take the longest route for each option and work on them in my dwindling free time.

Also, I'm still thinking about how to possibly handle a DR3 simulcast or similar. Livestreaming the episodes would make sense but I don't want to get my Twitch account banned if I can help it. And Discord group DMs can only hold 8 people in total when doing screenshare. If you have ideas for handling a potential anime viewing, feel free to let me know with the rest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can stream whatever at https://cytu.be/ you just need to have the files hosted somewhere like google drive or web hosting you're paying for. people stream anime all the time there without consequence

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

lets hang out posted:

you can stream whatever at https://cytu.be/ you just need to have the files hosted somewhere like google drive or web hosting you're paying for. people stream anime all the time there without consequence

FPzero doesn't need to host them if they can use Ustream when streaming. I know people use Ustream to play anime whenever they do Goonami.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It might be best just to give an extended summary, or multiple summaries, of If. I agree its interesting, but it's more interesting when you're the one reading it and "playing" it at your own pace. So I don't think a stream or youtube archive would necessarily be that great? And I think doing the whole nine yards of linking music, matching portraits, and so forth is overkill for something like If.
The alternative of a pure script dump is, uh, not very appealing at all. The main LP obviously breaks this up with, you know, the gameplay bits, varied locales, character sprites, and the trials. Thinking of If being just flopped out there gives flashback to Zero in oren's DR2 thread where my eyes just kind of glazed over.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Novel: anything but pure video. I'm a fast reader and that would probably be torture.

Free time: again, anything but pure video. If you do all screenshots I recommend putting them on lpix test pages instead of in the thread directly so pages don't get too image-heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Sindai posted:

Novel: anything but pure video. I'm a fast reader and that would probably be torture.

Free time: again, anything but pure video. If you do all screenshots I recommend putting them on lpix test pages instead of in the thread directly so pages don't get too image-heavy.

If it's not too much trouble I think the best compromise is to have both the screenshot dump in an lpix link and a video. That way it doesn't flood the thread with pictures and people can choose the style they'd prefer. If you had to do just one though I vote for the video.

As for the novel i agree with the poster above, those text dumps of zero in orenronen's thread quickly lost my attention. I'd say summaries with a link to the script for those interested for the full experience is the way to go.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 16, 2018

• Locked thread