Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why has Firefox 58 become such a memory hog? It sometimes gets to a point that I have to close it and restart.

How long have you been running the same profile? Might just be time for a refresh. Also, reevaluate each extension you're using to make sure you really need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fangs404 posted:

How long have you been running the same profile? Might just be time for a refresh. Also, reevaluate each extension you're using to make sure you really need it.

I only use two extensions both of which I use regularly. I have no idea how old my profile is.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Although memory usage is annoying, my main gripe with current versions of Firefox are where it occasionally forgets what a tab should look like and takes several seconds to actually paint it (showing a throbber in the middle) or can't paint content fast enough, so when scrolling through something long like Twitter there will just be a massive void partway through the screen while rendering catches up.

Maybe whatever causes that is something specific to Linux but it's ridiculous. It's not really using any CPU when this happens; I have no idea what it's doing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ola posted:

I leave sets of tabs open for days before I get around to reading them. Rarely have less than 6-7 open at any time. Some are paused youtube videos, some are content heavy in other ways. I restart my browser maybe once every two weeks. I have ublock, html 5 autoplay blocker and google translate plugins, which can sometimes cause problems, but for the most part my 8 gigs of RAM are 60-80% used and everything is ticking over very nicely. Don't think I've ever had such a stable, well running laptop and browsing experience.

Yeah even with the memory bloat I've noted it's still a much better browsing experience than previous. Instead of a couple tabs dragging the entire browser down (it was difficult to simply file -> quit sometimes) everything remains smooth until I try pulling up those leaky tabs.

I still suspect the new Android version is eating battery way faster than the old one though and power usage is much more critical there.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Although memory usage is annoying, my main gripe with current versions of Firefox are where it occasionally forgets what a tab should look like and takes several seconds to actually paint it (showing a throbber in the middle) or can't paint content fast enough, so when scrolling through something long like Twitter there will just be a massive void partway through the screen while rendering catches up.

Maybe whatever causes that is something specific to Linux but it's ridiculous. It's not really using any CPU when this happens; I have no idea what it's doing.

If it's not CPU bound then it's going to be IO bound. Even if you're using an NVMe disk it will take a little while to access data that has been cached to disk, this leads to the renderer being starved for data and sitting idle while it waits.

I configured Firefox to only cache data to RAM, which means its pretty much always available to the renderer whenever it wants. If you only have 16GB of RAM this might not be the solution for you, especially if you like to leave the browser open while doing other things like playing games.

Basically, RAM usage is good and makes things fast, get more RAM (when prices allow).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox. One thing that bugs me is that when I click open new tab on a bookmark, it takes me to that new tab. Is there any way to turn that off so that when I click "open link in new tab", it stays on the tab I'm already on?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Edit: vvv

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 13, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox. One thing that bugs me is that when I click open new tab on a bookmark, it takes me to that new tab. Is there any way to turn that off so that when I click "open link in new tab", it stays on the tab I'm already on?

Change the preference 'browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground' to 'true'.

Edit: ^^^

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 13, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Or just go to Preferences and uncheck "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Change the preference 'browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground' to 'true'.

Edit: ^^^

Thanks! This worked. Going into the preferences and unchecking didn't because this problem was only for bookmark links.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Simply hold Ctrl+Shift when clicking the bookmark, and it will open in a background tab. Just like clicking a regular link on a webpage. You can also just hold Ctrl to open it in a new tab and switch to it immediately.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

59 feels even snappier? Idk maybe I'm seeing things.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

mike12345 posted:

59 feels even snappier? Idk maybe I'm seeing things.

From the release notes, there are more performance enhancements:

quote:

Performance enhancements:
- Faster load times for content on the Firefox Home page
- Faster page load times by loading either from the networked cache or the cache on the user’s hard drive (Race Cache With Network)
- Improved graphics rendering using Off-Main-Thread Painting (OMTP) for Mac users (OMTP for Windows and Linux was released in Firefox 58)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/potch/status/973623749390905344

This notification blocker looks good. I haven't updated yet, but I wonder if my random config tweaks are blocking them already. Does anyone have a notification spamming site to suggest for testing?

e: Looks like the bastard is blocked already, hell yes. http://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I did that ages ago with this.

dom.webnotifications.enabled; set to false
(Disable web notifications. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1139372#answer-947512 )

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Updated now and tested a bit, it blocks in both cases but it appears differently to the website.

https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

With dom.webnotifications.enabled = false:

quote:

Notifications are not available for your browser.

With dom.webnotifications.enabled = true, it triggers a notification request as normal. If I then disable it in options - privacy - permissions - notifications, it gives a different message:

quote:

Permission to display: denied

I like that better, because hopefully it can show up in the server logs and the jerks that put all that effort into making notifications can realize people think it sucks and are actively blocking it, instead of just not being able to display it for whatever technical reason.

e: edited url

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 14, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You should be using the secure version of that link to test.

Features like Notifications might get blocked over plaintext connections.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

You should be using the secure version of that link to test.

Features like Notifications might get blocked over plaintext connections.

Woops, don't know why my pasted URL wasn't https. I seem to recall I was using it on https, because I looked on the permissions button and there was a green padlock next to it. Anyway, tested again, works the same.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
edit: Finally reproduced the problem in another browser, seems it was unrelated to Firefox and Firefox was just consistently unlucky. Twitter seems to be having some issues.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 14, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This absolutely lovely change is in Firefox 60 (currently available in the beta channel):
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523950

Finally, animated GIFs no longer cause obscene memory usage in Firefox.

But be aware that there are some regressions caused by the patch for the next couple beta versions. I think one 100% CPU bug is still open.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So at some point over the last few versions, it's developed an issue where typing into the google search bar (the one on the actual google page) doesn't work, either lags like hell or is completely unresponsive.

Doesn't affect any other website. My profile is relatively new (I made a new one when I switched from Waterfox to FF57). Annoying AF.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like YouTube now works around whatever uBlock Origin was doing to block advertisements. Hooray for getting unskippable advertisements in a language I don't speak. Google, you know my preferred language is English why do you so consistently fail to use this information.

Edit: nope uBlock just completely broke - restarting Firefox fixed it.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 17, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ah, another hideous bug.

59.0.1 is utterly broken on devices with ClearType disabled.

And now everything's blurry.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

Looks like YouTube now works around whatever uBlock Origin was doing to block advertisements. Hooray for getting unskippable advertisements in a language I don't speak. Google, you know my preferred language is English why do you so consistently fail to use this information.

Edit: nope uBlock just completely broke - restarting Firefox fixed it.

Does SmartTube still work for youtube ads?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a blanket way to stop addons from opening a new tab every time they update. It confuses the gently caress out of my GF each time, especially on Android where the tabs are less obvious and it just looks like the page changed. I'm kinda sick of having to explain it and close tabs for her.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Lum posted:

Is there a blanket way to stop addons from opening a new tab every time they update. It confuses the gently caress out of my GF each time, especially on Android where the tabs are less obvious and it just looks like the page changed. I'm kinda sick of having to explain it and close tabs for her.

Doubt it, you can try petitioning Mozilla to add something like this but your best bet is probably hoping the addons in question expose a setting to disable that behaviour.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lum posted:

Agreed, this is super irritating.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know of a e: blank blanket way to block it, it seems to use the super simple API of "open website in", which it very likely has permissions to do since it is an installed addon. I think writing an email saying "could you please reconsider your practices" is more worthwhile than devising some clever way of blocking it. Which just about summarizes the entire state of the internet at the moment.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 21, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The way I would do it is, when the browser first starts up, I would get the tab IDs of any tabs with the URLs “about:home” and “about:blank” (or whatever my homepages are), and for a short time, I would close any tabs that don’t originate from one of those tabs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Youtube has started to play up for me recently. I can play videos no problem, but the frame on the left hand side where all my subscriptions are will no longer scroll, so most of my subs are out of reach. The rest of the page scrolls down fine, just not the bit on the left.

I restarted in safe mode. Same thing.

I started Firefox with a new profile. Same thing.

Chrome and Edge run youtube fine.

I'm on the 64bit Firefox 52.7.3 ESR, but it started doing this in the previous version, too.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Youtube has started to play up for me recently. I can play videos no problem, but the frame on the left hand side where all my subscriptions are will no longer scroll, so most of my subs are out of reach. The rest of the page scrolls down fine, just not the bit on the left.

I restarted in safe mode. Same thing.

I started Firefox with a new profile. Same thing.

Chrome and Edge run youtube fine.

I'm on the 64bit Firefox 52.7.3 ESR, but it started doing this in the previous version, too.

I'm not sure about ESR, but it can be fixed on 57+ by installing Stylish and then this custom script that adds the feature back.

You can apparently browse the most recent uploads from your subscriptions by going here, but it's not even close to being a replacement in any way. I kinda suspect that Google is trying something here to see how many people just give up and go to Chrome in the time it takes for this "problem" to be fixed.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 28, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Holy poo poo - for once it's not just me!

Yeah, just clicking "subscriptions" is poo poo because it automatically clears all your subscriptions, too. Some I like to save until they have a bunch of new content (or ignore if it's work stuff) so having all my subs cleared is annoying.

Youtube's interface is just trash.

Thanks a million for the Stylish link.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah but they are very dedicated to making sure all the important stuff keeps working.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/now-even-youtube-serves-ads-with-cpu-draining-cryptocurrency-miners/

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Just read about the new 'Facebook Container' plug-in that Mozilla put out on...well, Facebook. Trying it out and it seems to work...or at least not break anything.

Anybody else know anything about this?

Edit: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/facebook-container-extension/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Facebook is the obvious evil in collecting and selling your data, Twitter is the 2nd most.

Google is 3rd.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Just read about the new 'Facebook Container' plug-in that Mozilla put out on...well, Facebook. Trying it out and it seems to work...or at least not break anything.

Anybody else know anything about this?

Edit: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/facebook-container-extension/

It is basically the Multi-Account Containers addon but modified to only work on Facebook. However, you don't need to configure it at all, so it is easier to just install and use.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Facebook is the obvious evil in collecting and selling your data, Twitter is the 2nd most.

Google is 3rd.

pretty sure google is on top of the "data amount on people" list tho, cause they just take *all* the data off of anroid phones.

and apple isn't as high only because they have less market share

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Truga posted:

pretty sure google is on top of the "data amount on people" list tho, cause they just take *all* the data off of anroid phones.

and apple isn't as high only because they have less market share

That's true, but they aren't as obvious about it like Facebook is. Apple is arguably worse in one regard that they force you onto their whole ecosystem or else you're getting hamstrung.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo - for once it's not just me!

Yeah, just clicking "subscriptions" is poo poo because it automatically clears all your subscriptions, too. Some I like to save until they have a bunch of new content (or ignore if it's work stuff) so having all my subs cleared is annoying.

Thanks a million for the Stylish link.

No problem. From what I could find Google has said that this is a bug that they were working on fixing but the fact that the script itself is so tiny for what it does shows that the functionality is still there but is being deliberately held back. Google is loving terrible.

Really, really loving terrible. There's an add-on to block block bitcoin miners but it doesn't seem to be updated fast enough to stop the big ones. I recommend supplementing it with adblock filters like these, although it's recommended to also install the uBlock Origin-specific filter provided.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RZApublican posted:

Really, really loving terrible. There's an add-on to block block bitcoin miners but it doesn't seem to be updated fast enough to stop the big ones. I recommend supplementing it with adblock filters like these, although it's recommended to also install the uBlock Origin-specific filter provided.

Mines as covered as possible, but I keep seeing hits on one of the scanners at work when various geniuses refuse to sneak-watch their tv shows on anything but chrome.