Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

lamey_whinehouse posted:

i've been going back and rewatching Season 5 of the simpsons and i don't think it's nearly as grounded and lacking of "wacky hijinx" that ya'll remember

I've been listening to the Talking Simpsons podcast recently (Which is pretty good and I'd definitely recommend), and something they've brought up a few times as they work through the episodes is that a lot of the complaints about newer episodes-the wacky hijinks, disregard of continuity, Homer being an rear end in a top hat who constantly gets new jobs-are just as applicable to the 'golden years,' and Season 5 and 6 in particular when Dave Mirkin was showrunner. But because the writing and animation were so much tighter, ridiculous episodes like Deep Space Homer and Bart Gets An Elephant work because they're so goddamn funny, while the later episodes that ran with those kinds of plots failed because they didn't have the same quality or quantity of jokes to hold them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the bigger issue with Skylar is they didn't really know what to do with her (or Walt Jr. for that matter). In the beginning they're Walt's entire motivation for getting into the meth business, but she's really just there. The thing is her ending was pretty in theme, and I think it would have worked better if that happened around season 3 to highlight just how destructive Walt had become.
This is an issue with the whole show. It was never supposed to run more than a season, and the premise can't sustain itself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Besesoth posted:

The point was that in the eyes of the alt-right, Walter was a white drug kingpin, so he was a brilliant, rebellious hero who was unjustly brought down by the system, while Avon and Stringer were black drug kingpins, so they were mindless thugs who got what was coming to them.

I meant the alt right that worship WW wouldn't extend that admiration for Stringer or Avon.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BiggerBoat posted:

I meant the alt right that worship WW wouldn't extend that admiration for Stringer or Avon.

So we agree?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Listening to an Economist article and they just used the term “streets ahead” when comparing countries.

Was that a real term before Community or is Pierce Hawthorne leaking into British business magazines?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Listening to an Economist article and they just used the term “streets ahead” when comparing countries.

Was that a real term before Community or is Pierce Hawthorne leaking into British business magazines?

It's a pretty common idiom in the UK and Ireland.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is this like when I was surprised hella existed before South Park?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this like when I was surprised hella existed before South Park?

I looked it up before I even posted and Urban Dictionary says it’s a Community creation.

The Queen’s English can be weird, but I didn’t realize it was streets ahead of other dialects.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I looked it up before I even posted and Urban Dictionary says it’s a Community creation.

The Queen’s English can be weird, but I didn’t realize it was streets ahead of other dialects.

As a Brit I can confirm I have been saying it for a few decades now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't know it Urban Dictionary is really a reliable source.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Wafer posted:

IIRC, Community's use came about to mock a Twitter user that used the phrase after trolling Dan Harmon about how Big Bang Theory was "streets ahead" of Community.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Garrand posted:

Well yeah, he was unable to afford healthcare and after that realization he picked himself up by his bootstraps and became a super badass.

And they didn't notice that this shining example of How Alt-Right Philosophy Really Works then got bent over a barrel and robbed by people exactly like them?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I don't know it Urban Dictionary is really a reliable source.

My subscription to Idioms Monthly lapsed so I’m doing the best with what I have.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Community was too "meta" to ever invent anything of its own.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

IIRC, Community's use came about to mock a Twitter user that used the phrase after trolling Dan Harmon about how Big Bang Theory was "streets ahead" of Community.

that's petty enough that i'd doubt its truth if it was anyone else besides dan harmon

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Brother Entropy posted:

that's petty enough that i'd doubt its truth if it was anyone else besides dan harmon

Jeff Winger was supposed to go on a date with, and then cancelled, a girl that had the same username, Gwynnifer. I forget the episode, but he literally calls up "Gwynnifer".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mojo1701a posted:

Jeff Winger was supposed to go on a date with, and then cancelled, a girl that had the same username, Gwynnifer. I forget the episode, but he literally calls up "Gwynnifer".

It's the "Annie lost a pen" bottle episode. (IIRC Jeff also admits later that "Gwynnifer" is the name he uses for Britta when he's hooking up with her so the rest of the group won't know.)

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I hope that Dan Harmon can someday find peace

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, it's in an episode where the A-plot is Marge getting into an MMORPG and discovering that Bart is a griefer; the B-plot is Homer refereeing Lisa's football game and Ronaldo shows up largely out of the blue to give him advice, which causes him to upset Lisa, then at the end of his appearance, Ronaldo says, "Another family ruined by Ronaldo!" and flies away. It was one of those, "Why is [celebrity] even here?"

I haven't aged well. Who the hell is Ronaldo?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo_(Brazilian_footballer)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked that one, but I find the best Simpsons celebrity cameos are the ones where they act like complete weirdos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

I liked that one, but I find the best Simpsons celebrity cameos are the ones where they act like complete weirdos.

It's just badly voiced-acted (and, yes, I realise that's not fair given that English isn't his first language).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

bagshotrow posted:

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer thinks Bart is gay aged pretty badly; Homer's bigotry didn't seem that extreme at the time, but in 2017 he just comes off as a complete bastard.

Now that I think about it, that was 20 years ago, and 20 years before that, the best known TV dad was Archie Bunker

At least the moral was that Homer was wrong. I saw a recent episode with a brief throw away joke scene where Homer is all like "it's totally okay if your gay" only to be super relieved and excited when Barts indicates that he's not gay. I can't remember which episode it was and if you search for homophobic moments in the Simpsons the only thing that shows up is one billion articles about how progressive and good "Homer's Phobia" is. Oh and when Smithers takes medicine to cure his gay in that future episode is really weird to watch.
And these are both well after John Waters seemingly helped him get rid of his Homophobia.
https://youtu.be/ZJkwy-C3BYU?t=58s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a416pmOYEY
"Ew"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can’t blame him for his homerphobia

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s funny that on top of the endless Simpsons episodes where the plot is just “Homer’s new job” there are a whole subclass of episodes now where the plot is just “Homer’s new hidden talent.”

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It definitely didn't age well but Homerphobia still has my favorite Simpsons moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uOBveFKdGs

"We work hard, we play hard."

That or Bart's April fool's prank.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Has Homer's Phobia actually aged that badly? There are tons who people who still react the same way to the idea that their child might be gay. I guess some of the depictions might be overblown, but I figure that's part of the joke. The bit at the steel mill is still one of my favorites.

e: "Oh, be nice!" gets me every fuckin time.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Mar 15, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Didn't Tracy Morgan and/or Kevin Hart "joke" that they would beat the hell out of their kid if they turned out gay or something to that effect?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know about Kevin Hart but Tracy Morgan definitely went on a homophobic rant while doing a comedy set only a couple of years ago.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Didn't Tracy Morgan and/or Kevin Hart "joke" that they would beat the hell out of their kid if they turned out gay or something to that effect?

I think Hart's "joke" was about how he was scared of having a gay son (still lovely). Morgan straight up said that he would stab his son to death if he came out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Make sure to watch Tracy's new show on TBS! The commercial for which has a prominent scene where his character is baffled by the existence of gay black men! (Who talk in high pitched camp voices.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

It definitely didn't age well but Homerphobia still has my favorite Simpsons moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uOBveFKdGs

"We work hard, we play hard."

That or Bart's April fool's prank.

This part is loving hilarious and I stand by that.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I'll always remember the night Homer's Phobia first aired. I was on a Boy Scout skiing trip. There was a lot of grumbling from the adults afterwards about the moral degeneracy of Homer learning to tolerate a gay man.

It was one of the first times I realized baby boomers were lovely people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I still remember how hard I laughed at that broadcast. That episode is good and pure because it implies there are enough homosexual people in Springfield for there to be both gay and straight industries.

You’d think Smithers would have had a better time of it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always liked the idea Smithers had zero sexuality, he was just unfathomably committed to this one ugly evil dude.

But then we wouldnt have had Burns naive about Smithers bring on an all male holiday, so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Smithers started out as kinda basic loyal lackey, then obsessive, then Burns-sexual, and hinted more and more at being gay with various social signifiers of the times (being into Malibu Stacy dolls might have... other implications in the age of bronies) until they stopped being subtle, though he's kinda remained with more or less his original personality nonetheless.

Dude can be gay and also really into Mr Burns.

Also, did like that the end of the episode has the gay dude (who's also noted to be basically an extroverted nerd, iirc) joke about how it was a bit much to have to save Homer's life to get Homer to accept him. Interestingly, later episodes have hinted Homer may be bisexual. (also possibly Grandpa)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still remember how hard I laughed at that broadcast. That episode is good and pure because it implies there are enough homosexual people in Springfield for there to be both gay and straight industries.

"This lesbian bar has no fire escapes! Enjoy your death trap, ladies."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Brother Entropy posted:

"This lesbian bar has no fire escapes! Enjoy your death trap, ladies."

"What was her problem?" Makes me laugh even though i know it ages poorly.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pick posted:

This part is loving hilarious and I stand by that.

I like this episode mostly because it starts from a place of absurdity -- Homer's toxic belief that homosexuality is a learned behavior -- and then completely fucks with him until he finally realizes that humans are humans. Seriously, a gay steel mill? It's hilarious because it seemingly exists to just torture Homer which is well-deserved.

Plus, this is the episode that introduced me to camp, which I'm eternally grateful for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Parts of it haven't aged well, but it approaches things from the right direction and it's aged better than any other mainstream take on the issue I can think of from the mid-to-late Nineties.