Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How much do the balls help? I recall reading that they didn’t do much, but I can’t remember where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Subjunctive posted:

How much do the balls help? I recall reading that they didn’t do much, but I can’t remember where.

If I'm doing steak where the water bath gets to 130 it doesn't matter, but if I need to hit, say, 185 for doing carrots or those Starbucks-style egg bites, it helps quite a bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah having anything on top helps fight evaporation at higher temps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The best is to buy a cambro or similar with a lid and make a tight fitting cutout with a dremel. I did kenjis porchetta with a 36h bath in a huge cambro equivalent and did not have to worry about evaporation at all. I checked every couple of hours as this was my first long bath and in the end I lost 2 mm of water to evaporation, if that.

Edit: for long baths get a fitting styrofoam box as well. They are sold for food delivery in sizes matching cambros. Good insulation saves a ton of energy and lessen the work the viddler has to do in terms of heating.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 11, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I thought they helped more with evaporation than with heat loss. Good to know they’re good for both!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Had much first bag puncture while doing a piece of bone-in pork shoulder to finish up on the smoker this weekend.

It was a pin-hole sized puncture, but large enough to cause leakage both direction, water in the bag and juice in the container. I'm sure everything is still safe to eat, but the flavor would be rather watered down by this point. Is that a safe assumption? Should I continue with my plan, or toss this piece? I have time to re-do things from a quantity perspective if I need to, but I still want to put out a quality product too. Thoughts?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

qutius posted:

It was a pin-hole sized puncture, but large enough to cause leakage both direction, water in the bag and juice in the container. I'm sure everything is still safe to eat, but the flavor would be rather watered down by this point.

Every time I've had water in the bag the flavor has been pretty low quality, but it would depend on how much water etc. etc.

I'd start over.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

How long was the hole there? Especially if it wasn't too long, I'd consider reseasoning, rebagging, and finishing the cook.

You can make a second shoulder to serve your friends, but there's no reason to throw away this meat. You can still shred it and use it for enchiladas or chili or whatever.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

qutius posted:

Had much first bag puncture while doing a piece of bone-in pork shoulder to finish up on the smoker this weekend.

It was a pin-hole sized puncture, but large enough to cause leakage both direction, water in the bag and juice in the container. I'm sure everything is still safe to eat, but the flavor would be rather watered down by this point. Is that a safe assumption? Should I continue with my plan, or toss this piece? I have time to re-do things from a quantity perspective if I need to, but I still want to put out a quality product too. Thoughts?

I've had success with finishing a piece even after there's water in the bag, but it depends how much transfer there was and how long you went without noticing. I'd definitely redo if it was guests, or a party or whatever, but for just you and the family on a normal night? You're good, do something with a flavorful sauce. I guess smoking will give you nice flavor there too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Cool, thanks guys! I'll still toss that hunk on the smoker but earmark it for a good taste test before I put it out to serve. If its not up to par, I'll just freeze it until I can use it for another application where I can doctor it up as needed. Makes sense to me!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pork shoulder is pretty resilient. I'd re-rub and finish it on the grill too. Should still be delicious.

I had a foodsaver bag open on the side seal last week for a corned beef (175 degrees, 10 or so hours) and I was pissed. Luckily is was corned beef so it really didn't matter but I had to clean the Cambro and Anova pretty well from the greasy juices.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bottom Liner posted:

Pork shoulder is pretty resilient. I'd re-rub and finish it on the grill too. Should still be delicious.

I had a foodsaver bag open on the side seal last week for a corned beef (175 degrees, 10 or so hours) and I was pissed. Luckily is was corned beef so it really didn't matter but I had to clean the Cambro and Anova pretty well from the greasy juices.

Thankfully neither the cambro or the Anova were very dirty from this little puncture so maybe it isn't as bad as I suspect. Either way, re-rub and onto the smoke it'll go!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is double bagging a thing which is done?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Stringent posted:

I've done it when extremely paranoid about leaks, no issues there

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I do it when I'm doing long sessions (e.g. longer than 8 hours). Just to be sure.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stringent posted:

I've had problems with double bagging - if you get air in between the two bags it can insulate and cause the inner bag to take a while longer to come up to temp. Over a sufficiently long cook this probably is a moot point.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why do my sous vide chicken breast and pork tenderloin turn out much less juicy than if I just give them a quick roast in the oven? Only think I can think of is I'm losing less of the water that was absorbed (I didn't buy air chilled this time) in the oven for some reason. Is there some maxim that water chilled stuff should just go in the oven?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Walrus posted:

Why do my sous vide chicken breast and pork tenderloin turn out much less juicy than if I just give them a quick roast in the oven? Only think I can think of is I'm losing less of the water that was absorbed (I didn't buy air chilled this time) in the oven for some reason. Is there some maxim that water chilled stuff should just go in the oven?

How are you bagging them?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Walrus posted:

What temp are you cooking them at?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I really like my pork loin done about 138f, and it comes out really juicy and great.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've got a pork butt in the bath tonight, and this is the third time I've puddled pork butt, but every time the bags seem to fill with air and water, even if I double bag and they stay submerged. It's the meat shrinking and letting off juices? That's my hope but I wanted to ask

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of mine do it too, I think it's the fat breaking down and releasing gas. It's annoying but never been an issue as far as flavor. Just clip some spoons to the bag if it starts trying to float.

We had 24 hour 145 corned beef tonight. It was good but the 10 hour 180 was way better. These lower temps are definitely the way to go for slicing and sandwich meat though.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
If your having corned beef with mash and cabbage and white onion sauce then I reckon faster cooks are better so you actually get slices that stray in one piece

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Has anyone had much experience using SV with lamb shoulder? I'm looking for a steak-like, not braise-like consistency and was looking at 55C for 48 hours. Making a bunch of lebanese food sunday!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Willy Style posted:

If your having corned beef with mash and cabbage and white onion sauce then I reckon faster cooks are better so you actually get slices that stray in one piece

Last year mine came out pretty much exactly how I hoped: 180 for a day or so, then drain it (but save the juices), re-seal and refrigerate it. When you boil all your other stuff you put the drained juice in with it so the beef flavor ends up where it needs to be, and the cold meat is way easier to slice. Re-heat the meat from there and bam, perfect.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Friend posted:

I've got a pork butt in the bath tonight, and this is the third time I've puddled pork butt, but every time the bags seem to fill with air and water, even if I double bag and they stay submerged. It's the meat shrinking and letting off juices? That's my hope but I wanted to ask

Pork for me has always had a ton of liquid in the bag. Never did I think that it was actually from the bag leaking though. I've pulled the bag and check to make sure nothing leaks back out too. Probably like Bottom Liner said being fat and gases.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

How are you bagging them?

vacuum seal foodsaver bags. They lose a large amount of liquid into the bag

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What temp are you cooking them at?

Whatever the standard temps on serious eats were, think it was about 150 for the chicken, dont exactly recall for tenderloin but around the same? in any case I just do what kenji tells me to do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Walrus posted:

vacuum seal foodsaver bags. They lose a large amount of liquid into the bag

Hit seal before it gets to full vacuum. Full vacuum starts sucking liquid out of meat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Hit seal before it gets to full vacuum. Full vacuum starts sucking liquid out of meat.

Hm, can give it a try for sure. I should clarify they're losing the liquid into the bag during cooking, not before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know, but it still gets a better texture when I use a weaker vacuum.

Also are you salting into the bag? You might want to use less salt or salt after the sous vide because the longer cook time of sous vide gives salt more time to work on the meat and give it a cured texture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’ve wondered for a while if the tight vacuum squeezed more moisture out of the meat as it was cooking. Not really up for testing, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Walrus posted:

Hm, can give it a try for sure. I should clarify they're losing the liquid into the bag during cooking, not before.

So I cook pork at about 145 for a few hours. It gives it a very soft texture but it's still extremely juicy. It sounds like you are going too high for too long.

I think 150+ is just too high for a thin and delicate tenderloin.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I cooked a pork butt for 30 hours yesterday at 146 and then ice bathed it and fridged it. I should be able to throw it right back in the bath to warm it up right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, go for it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Throw it in a smoker or charcoal grill! Some of my favourite butts have been done sous-vide at 165 then finished for a few hours at 250 degrees F.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

VERTiG0 posted:

Throw it in a smoker or charcoal grill! Some of my favourite butts have been done sous-vide at 165 then finished for a few hours at 250 degrees F.

I spiced it Mexican style. Was just gonna cube it and throw it under the broiler to crisp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

I spiced it Mexican style. Was just gonna cube it and throw it under the broiler to crisp.

why not both? smoke it the cube and crisp it. I do that with pork belly and it's fantastic.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So I cook pork at about 145 for a few hours. It gives it a very soft texture but it's still extremely juicy. It sounds like you are going too high for too long.

I think 150+ is just too high for a thin and delicate tenderloin.

Same, sometimes use 140 too. A pork tenderloin is great after just 2 hours even.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bum the Sad posted:

I cooked a pork butt for 30 hours yesterday at 146 and then ice bathed it and fridged it. I should be able to throw it right back in the bath to warm it up right?

Why do you ice bath it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why do you ice bath it?

It would take many hours for a big hunk of meat to cool down from fridge air alone.