Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF XV has my favorite soundtrack since VII, it’s incredibly good.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I'm assuming that the story point of Noctis getting entombed in the Crystal would've been Crystal Stasis had it stayed XIII. Lucis was all about Etro worship back then, so Noctis probably would've been a l'Cie of Etro. (keep in mind this was before XIII-2 and LR were conceived).

Ah, right, the XIII mythos. Maybe it's for the best FFXV is totally disconnected from that now.

I guess when I say that I suspect there's some missed potential in FFXV, I don't necessarily mean that I think Versus XIII would've been better or more interesting, just that I wonder what the FFXV team could've produced if they didn't have to pick up the pieces of Versus XIII and turn them into a real game. There are some cool idea's in XV's story that never really get introduced in-game, for example, and cool characters who don't really get much screen time or development.

Still way better than FFXIII's mess of a plot, though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Harrow posted:

There are some cool idea's in XV's story that never really get introduced in-game, for example, and cool characters who don't really get much screen time or development.

I have not played XV yet, but am always interested in interesting ideas. Can you expand on this in any way that would not require spoilers?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

I have not played XV yet, but am always interested in interesting ideas. Can you expand on this in any way that would not require spoilers?

I think the details would probably be spoilers, but there's some interesting mythology hinted at with the gods, how magic works (specifically for the Lucian royalty like Noctis), and what the whole deal is with daemons and the plague that causes them.

To be clear, I'm still really early in the game, but I've also been spoiled on most of the story so I know generally what to expect and also what to expect the game to just sort of leave out. I'm mostly talking about how the game does absolutely nothing to introduce its setting to the player at the start and just sort of throws you into a sort of in media res story that you don't have much context for. (If you watch the first three minutes of the Kingsglaive movie on YouTube you'll get some of that context, which naturally wasn't included in the actual game because :shrug:)

Where it shines so far is in the interactions between the four main party members, which is exactly what everyone told me so it's not exactly a surprise! All four are good characters and bounce off each other really well. The game does a great job of showing how close they are and how important they all are to each other. So while I think there are some missed opportunities for capitalizing on FFXV's kind of weird and interesting setting, there's some great character stuff to enjoy. Plus, it's legitimately fun to play now that I have a handle on how the combat works.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've decided to try beating all main games in the series this year. I've played all but lll before, and only beaten two of them I think (vii and xii).

Holy poo poo the first one makes me want to give up so badly. Just finished the ice cave and gently caress not using a guide for this game, I realize it's an uphill battle but I can't wait to start the next one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I've decided to try beating all main games in the series this year. I've played all but lll before, and only beaten two of them I think (vii and xii).

Holy poo poo the first one makes me want to give up so badly. Just finished the ice cave and gently caress not using a guide for this game, I realize it's an uphill battle but I can't wait to start the next one.

If you can beat the ice cave youve beaten the game. Nothing is anywhere near that frustrating or difficult after that.

The real trick is going to be finishing any version of FF3

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is 3 super difficult or just a mess of mechanics?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The GBA/PSP version of FF1 is quite easy, if you're trying to beat the original then yeah that'll take some serious old-school RPG tolerance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is 3 super difficult or just a mess of mechanics?

Both versions arent very good, suffering from cruel dungeon design, shoddy difficulty curves, confusing progression checks, and weak story with the only western release (DS remake) being significantly worse than the original in nearly every way by way of its pile of new and worse mechanics.

In general, if you can make it through the first three the rest of the franchise is nothing but looking up.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Unless you're very dedicated my advice would be to try ff2 and 3 and just move on whenever you start to get either bored or frustrated.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DS 3 is also loving brutal as well as being awful. Poor 14 year old me picked it up at an airport and it was the only game I had for two weeks and I still couldn't get through the loving mini dungeon

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
XV has a fantastic soundtrack and I love Shimomura's RPG music, but I also really want her to do another fighting game soundtrack.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How's the PSP version of FF3?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Its the DS version. Basically unless youre playing on a Famicom its the DS version, and theyre all poo poo with the PC being juuuuuust barely the least poo poo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You should obviously play it on the Ouya, for which it was a launch title.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah my biggest concerns are the first three difficulty wise. I'll give them a good push before giving up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

DS 3 is also loving brutal as well as being awful. Poor 14 year old me picked it up at an airport and it was the only game I had for two weeks and I still couldn't get through the loving mini dungeon

The nepto shrine is one of two bullshit dungeons in that game, the other being the ancient ruins (enemies split in two unless you hit them with magic or a dark knight weapon, which you don't get until a few dungeons later).

The best way to beat the shrine is to basically get 3 black mages, give each of them fira / thundara / blizzara that you got in the last town, then make the last person a white mage. Then throw them in back row and go to town with magic.

After that I think the rest of the game is much easier to play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanfy posted:

You should obviously play it on the Ouya, for which it was a launch title.

A sick part of me wants to know how many ouya copies they sold.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The real problem with 3 is the final dungeon. Its a huge slog with no save points. Maybe the longest continuous trial without healing in the series? Dying to the final boss is not fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm playing the origins version of one and two, but the horrible thing I remember from one is how you lose your turn if the monster you target dies before you attack. So glad that changed.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

lobster22221 posted:

The real problem with 3 is the final dungeon. Its a huge slog with no save points. Maybe the longest continuous trial without healing in the series? Dying to the final boss is not fun.

Isn’t the final boss just a health/healing check too? I remember NES 3’s Final Boss just used one move over and over and basically asked ‘Can You Heal Through This? Y/N’

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Locke posted:

Isn’t the final boss just a health/healing check too? I remember NES 3’s Final Boss just used one move over and over and basically asked ‘Can You Heal Through This? Y/N’

In the NES one, yeah. Cloud of Darkness does 1 attack that hits all party members, and while one cast of cure 4 won't cover what's lost, you can mitigate it and then have a second sage cast cure 4 when their health gets low. All the while just keep having ninjas chuck shurikens.

In the DS version she has 3 attacks per turn which makes her a lot harder.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

I played the ds version, but I do remember them having a signature final boss move of some sort. I don't remember if it had anything else. The other thing I remember is phoenix downs not being buyable. I don't remember if white mages had Resurrection or if there was some kind of limiter on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Remake CoD also comes with two tentacle buddies, one immune to physical attacks and the other immune to magical attacks. At least that's how I recall it.

It was a hard fight, mainly used up all those Elixirs I had been saving all game so I could spam my best offensive and restorative magic. Although Devouts already have a ridiculously good high level MP pool.

But yeah, I've always been a haorder in JRPGs and I was right to be that way here.

Raxivace posted:

I would get it on Steam so you have Quick and Autosave.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 14, 2018

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

esperterra posted:

Oh poo poo they finally added the bros as playable characters? Yesssss.

e: in comrades. obvs they are in the main game now

They did and didn't. There is only one mission right now you can play them in and it MUST be with the other 3. Its relatively fun though and they let you get the facial features of the guys for each one you run through the mission. (hair, face, eyebrows)

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames
I'm just getting into FFIV Online. Does anybody play this?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
If you are going to play ff3, one piece of advice that I just remembered: Try to stay in the blackbelt roll as long as possible. They have the most HP growth, and HP is the only stat that is global across all classes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In FFXV, should I expect that I'll naturally gain enough AP to get most of what I want in the ascension grid eventually, or would that take some concentrated AP grinding? I've noticed the costs tend to skyrocket after the first couple of nodes in any branch, but I don't know if that means I'm going to be gaining more AP from leveling up later or if it's just going to be a longer period of time between unlocks. (Obviously the passive AP-generating skills are definitely going to help.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

In FFXV, should I expect that I'll naturally gain enough AP to get most of what I want in the ascension grid eventually, or would that take some concentrated AP grinding? I've noticed the costs tend to skyrocket after the first couple of nodes in any branch, but I don't know if that means I'm going to be gaining more AP from leveling up later or if it's just going to be a longer period of time between unlocks. (Obviously the passive AP-generating skills are definitely going to help.)

Unless you do a shitload of grinding and postgame content you absolutely wont have enough to come close to filling out the grid, hence why no achievement is tied to that. AP never really increases in rate, and the AP skills help very, very little (youll for instance unless spend like 15+ hours of nothing but fishing never pay back the later fishing skills)

What you should be doing is basically snatching all the cheap boosts (i.e. sub 32 AP skills) then investing based on what you like doing a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, makes sense. So far I've been sticking to things under 30ish AP so I'll keep doing that until I run out of those (although I don't use Wait Mode so I'll probably never touch that grid).

I'm assuming that, of the mega-expensive ones, the third accessory slots are a pretty big deal, at least for Noctis.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no penalty to wait mode, its only positives! Having libra is also quite nice, although not remotely necessary.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can tell if you are hitting a weakness by looking at the dmg numbers so you can memorize them easily.

I dont like wait mode because it keeps interrupting me on accident

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Remake CoD also comes with two tentacle buddies, one immune to physical attacks and the other immune to magical attacks. At least that's how I recall it.

It was a hard fight, mainly used up all those Elixirs I had been saving all game so I could spam my best offensive and restorative magic. Although Devouts already have a ridiculously good high level MP pool.

But yeah, I've always been a haorder in JRPGs and I was right to be that way here.

I would get it on Steam so you have Quick and Autosave.

Correct. They'll also use Bad Breath (hope you have those Ribbons), Haste and Protect, and Lightning because why not.

A well-trained Bard (I used two) is actually pretty helpful in that fight to buffer the incoming damage with Elegy/Minne. Requiem also hits all targets for hefty damage at the start of the fight, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you switch to Wait Mode, anyway, and how does it work? The tutorial at the beginning glossed over that slightly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you switch to Wait Mode, anyway, and how does it work? The tutorial at the beginning glossed over that slightly.

You have to turn it on in the options menu. When it's enabled, time stops whenever you're not moving or issuing commands. There's a limited amount of time you can use wait mode for per battle, but there are skills in the ascension grid that let you restore wait mode gauge and eventually make it unlimited.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't imagine needing to extend it, it lasts for ages

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The White Dragon posted:

cmon , you should never trust fan translations

Not trusting the translation is the reason I'm asking the question

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingBomber69 posted:

I'm just getting into FFIV Online. Does anybody play this?

If you mean FFXIV then there's a big thread over at the MMO forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hmm no. he means FF4 online. i'm a lv1 paladin myself, but i recently changed classes so