Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Poniard posted:

I'm gonna make the call that it was legit. They told me I could print the forms out and hand deliver it to the office or the government classic... send it by fax.

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Arcsech posted:

do it, 100%.

even if you hate it, it’s only for a few months and having nvidia on your resume will get you put at the top of lots of resume piles
I'll see what the formal offer looks like

it sounds like it would be a cool opportunity on a small team doing interesting things for CUDA, but I'm fortunate to not be super concerned about the "top of lots of resume piles" angle at the moment

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 13, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

it's actually pretty funny how a central argument canadian cities have used in their pitches has been "you can get our tech workers for bargain basement prices"

Love local tech companies that try to recruit me with a 'competitive' salary

Some stupid state report came out about the influx of high tech jobs to our state with a median salary of 66k! :chloe:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Some stupid state report came out about the influx of high tech jobs to our state with a median salary of 66k! :chloe:

Lol. Nice, should be able to upgrade from a cardboard box with that salary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

then you ask about RSUs and bonus :allears:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

qhat posted:

Lol. Nice, should be able to upgrade from a cardboard box with that salary.

yo, hook me up

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

HoboMan posted:

yo, hook me up

username checks out. get this guy out of his cardboard box

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i may soon be entering contract negotiations with new companies, how much more can i reasonably ask for ?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Welp. Had a tech phone screen at friend's company this morning. I thought it went well, but I definitely bungled an answer about SQL that was rookie league, and I felt like an idiot afterwards.

Also had an interesting conversation about rpc abd I had thought I was wrong at the time, but in retrospect I'm not sure what we were disagreeing about.

I'm curious what the follow-up will be if anything, but I'm not sweating over it... And just as I type this I get an email for an on-site. Yay.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Oh and we had a 17 year veteran of my current place rage quit this week. He didn't storm out in anger, but considering he doesn't have anything lined up, I consider it a rage quit. His wife works with us as well so that made it super interesting.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

i may soon be entering contract negotiations with new companies, how much more can i reasonably ask for ?

Refuse to give a number and just keep saying reasonable compensation. If they offer less than double current turn it down imo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

What if you can't afford to live on the side of the bridge you work because all the rich people pushed you out?

find a new job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

as a rule of thumb you're gonna want your hourly rate to be around double your salary

you gotta pay self-employment tax + lack of benefits + risk associated with the temporary nature of a contract

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Marketing Intern
Skrumble -
Internship
Marketing Coordinator Intern (Full Time Position):

In one platform, Skrumble is solving the problem of inefficient communication. Bringing

together a full phone system, audio and video conferencing, screen sharing, messaging,

file sharing, scheduling and more to help connect your team, engage with clients, and

grow your business.

Your Mission:

Working with content, product, PR and external agencies to develop and
implement Skrumble’s marketing plan.

Being the hands-on driver of the go-to-market process by working with our web,
social, creative services, network promotions, PR and events teams to bring the

Skrumble’s brand to life in the marketplace.

Develop campaigns for social media and monitor all social media channels and
metrics.

Create email campaigns and content for presentations
Communicate across all levels of the organization for project planning,
implementation and review.

Work directly with Director of Marketing and our Marketing Coordinator to
ensure projects and deadline are completed on time

The Requirements:

Proven basic experience with demonstrable results across the entire spectrum of
online and offline marketing vehicles (advertising, social media, PR, events,

partnerships, sponsorships)

Familiarity and skill with the tools of the trade in marketing including basic PR,
written communications, market research, product marketing

Intermediate-Advanced working knowledge for the Microsoft suite of products
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)

Passion for market research, creating content and writing
Our Vibe:

Awesome Yonge and Bloor location
Large, open creative space
Beer Friday’s, Bagel Monday’s and team outings
Snacks, drinks and coffee
Job Type: Internship

Required experience:

Marketing: 1 year
Job Location:

Toronto, ON
Required language:

English

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as a rule of thumb you're gonna want your hourly rate to be around double your salary

you gotta pay self-employment tax + lack of benefits + risk associated with the temporary nature of a contract

I think I’ve messed up some terms as I’m not in freedomland but Denmark. I’m leaving my current salaried position for a new salaried position

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TerminalRaptor posted:

Oh and we had a 17 year veteran of my current place rage quit this week. He didn't storm out in anger, but considering he doesn't have anything lined up, I consider it a rage quit. His wife works with us as well so that made it super interesting.

I recommend nobody do this IMO. If you already got a job, there's no reason you can't send out resumes in your spare time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

I recommend nobody do this IMO. If you already got a job, there's no reason you can't send out resumes in your spare time.

counterpoint: being burned out as gently caress isn't going to do you any favors when you're doing long and gruelling interviews alongside a full day's work at a job you hate

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

counterpoint: being burned out as gently caress isn't going to do you any favors when you're doing long and gruelling interviews alongside a full day's work at a job you hate

Yeah, a friend at an old job quit because his job was literally killing him from stress and he had a much easier time job hunting after. But you better have a couple years worth of savings.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah, a friend at an old job quit because his job was literally killing him from stress and he had a much easier time job hunting after. But you better have a couple years worth of savings.

I'm in the same boat where my job is affecting my health and I realized it would be easier to job hunt if I could actually concentrate on it. I definitely have enough saved up that I could go a year alone no problem, but I agree with qhat 100% on this; it becomes a negative stigma for mostly stupid reasons if you are unemployed while job hunting.

I stress again that I don't want to leave my current company, but I haven't been able to do anything outside of work for the past year because I've been so mentally exhausted. If it's anything that requires any sort of decision planning, I go into some horrible decision paralysis where I just ignore it (I've been meaning to plan a trip to Florida for three months to visit relatives. All I have to do is pick a date and book a flight). Sadly I can't see things getting any better here in the next year, unless I leave. I thought about transitioning over to a product owner role, but they distinctly said they will not share the pay banding information for the role ("it's a lateral move") and I don't want to move over and find out I've killed my earning potential (and still have to deal with the dysfunction in our development department).

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

wow, i don't feel so bad now quitting my last job that was literally killing me
it certainly didn't help my employability but at least im still able to post ??

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Shaman Linavi posted:

wow, i don't feel so bad now quitting my last job that was literally killing me
it certainly didn't help my employability but at least im still able to post ??

:justpost:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Consider that pissing away the years in a job using the same moldy tech doesn't help your employability either

e: specifically, waiting for the "right opportunity" to come along that just happens to be convenient to interview for while holding your current job. recruiters would gladly throw me at dozens of interviews for positions i don't really want until i get sacked for low attendance

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like I get leaving because you're burned out, but honestly you have no idea how long you'll be unemployed for, and a lot of companies outright look at you like broken goods if you don't have a current job. It doesn't help your leverage when negotiating salary either. I mean do what you gotta do, I just wouldn't recommend it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

itt: more posters get deviant-ed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'll take my chances with a spell of funemployment I think because I'm down to maybe 1-2hrs per day of actual useful work and I'm just no good to anybody in my current state.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've more or less decided that if I don't get a huge pay rise this summer, I'm going to fire resumes out like no tomorrow. My entire team is having a meeting next week literally on the topic of how awful the company has been over the past few months with sales basically deciding unilaterally when deadlines should be without any push back from senior management. Two of the senior devs are inches away from quitting.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

I've more or less decided that if I don't get a huge pay rise this summer, I'm going to fire resumes out like no tomorrow.

That place sounds lovely. Why bother waiting? Send resumes now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

That place sounds lovely. Why bother waiting? Send resumes now.

Right now I am sending out the odd resume to the good places. I'd prefer to stay at least a year for the initial pay rise (more leverage to negotiate with), which is up in August, but I'll take a great opportunity before then if it comes about.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a tech test for a company here, it's very simple, about an hour of work.

Assuming all goes well I'm planning on asking for a base salary bump to the equivalent of 40% higher than I'm on just now, although I won't be telling them a percentage. Should I ask for 50% instead? Is this too high, too low? I can't double my salary here unless I moved to London, then it would be possible. Or if I done contract work here or London

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

I'm doing a tech test for a company here, it's very simple, about an hour of work.

Assuming all goes well I'm planning on asking for a base salary bump to the equivalent of 40% higher than I'm on just now, although I won't be telling them a percentage. Should I ask for 50% instead? Is this too high, too low? I can't double my salary here unless I moved to London, then it would be possible. Or if I done contract work here or London

This is exactly why you shouldn't give a number. If you ask for 50 and they can only do 40 they'll tell you and you'll get 40.

If you ask for 40 and they were going to give you 50 they'll just say "yeah sure 40".

If you let them offer first then you don't have the opportunity to underbid yourself

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

gonadic io posted:

This is exactly why you shouldn't give a number. If you ask for 50 and they can only do 40 they'll tell you and you'll get 40.

If you ask for 40 and they were going to give you 50 they'll just say "yeah sure 40".

If you let them offer first then you don't have the opportunity to underbid yourself

yeah let them make an offer first if you can

last two places i interviewed:
#1 i bid first at about 30% above my current salary, and they didn't even haggle
#2 they bid first at 48% above the same salary

the interviews were less than a year apart so seniority wasn't a huge factor

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

if I don't get a huge pay rise this summer

never expect a company to give you a pay raise, theyd rather pull their own teeth out with pliers

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pollyanna posted:

never expect a company to give you a pay raise, theyd rather pull their own teeth out with pliers

They'll give you a raise it just probably won't match what you could get by jumping around. Especially if you're in a competitive market and they know you can do just that.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a promotion, it might be easier to find it at your current job where they know the kind of work you do.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

If they'd rather have a 100% turnover then that's fine with me.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

If they'd rather have a 100% turnover then that's fine with me.

“FW: RE: why can’t we retain talent???”

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

More likely flipped to be something like "FW: RE: Talent shortage???", they cannot get good cheap staff and may even relocate.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Thankfully I haven't told the company any numbers yet, but when the recruiter hit me up (random recruiter, not internal to the company) I did give him some rough figure about what I was looking for.

Hopefully this should be ok, if I actually get an offer from the company then i will let them pitch at me first

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

Thankfully I haven't told the company any numbers yet, but when the recruiter hit me up (random recruiter, not internal to the company) I did give him some rough figure about what I was looking for.

Hopefully this should be ok, if I actually get an offer from the company then i will let them pitch at me first

Sorry this breaks down a bit through external recruiters. They will 100% lowball you to the company and even if you refuse to give them a number they'll make up a low one for you. gently caress external recruiters.

The principle is still sound though so we'll see. They'll have a number in mind before talking to the recruiter

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

what’s the general consensus on when to start applying for jobs before a move? thinking maybe 4 weeks out? gonna be staying with family until i get work again so there’s no panic, but i also don’t want to be unemployed for long. still have some bills even if rent isn’t an immediate concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jony neuemonic posted:

what’s the general consensus on when to start applying for jobs before a move? thinking maybe 4 weeks out? gonna be staying with family until i get work again so there’s no panic, but i also don’t want to be unemployed for long. still have some bills even if rent isn’t an immediate concern.

Honestly for me, 2-3 months. It's unlikely you'll get a job in 4 weeks of applying.