Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Caruana going for it against Ding.

e: Grischuk has generated a very good position against So. Space advantage, and bishops pointing at the king.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Hand Knit posted:

Caruana going for it against Ding.

e: Grischuk has generated a very good position against So. Space advantage, and bishops pointing at the king.

And So resigns.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

And So resigns.

Looking over the game, d5 seems like the culprit. Jan + Sopiko called it an interesting move at the time, but it seems like it commits the sin of opening the centre when you're not caught up in development, and creates the huge hole on c5 that white uses to force the trade on e4 then lift the rook.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Less decisive this round with Sasha defeating So and kramnik rather poetically being unable to crack open 'his' opening in the city it's named after.

Keeps it nice and tight for the tournament. Unfortunately at work all this week so not going to be follow it live for the next 5 days.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Less decisive this round with Sasha defeating So and kramnik rather poetically being unable to crack open 'his' opening in the city it's named after.

Keeps it nice and tight for the tournament. Unfortunately at work all this week so not going to be follow it live for the next 5 days.

I was going to post something pithy about Closed Ruy v Berlin Defense as if I know anything about it but then, lo and behold Berlin Wall Holds and the Closed Ruy does not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Day 2 Results:

So's terrible start continues and the rest of the games end in draws.

Grischuk 1 - So 0
Mamedyarov 1/2 - Aronian 1/2
Kramnik 1/2 - Karjakin 1/2
Ling 1/2 - Caruana 1/2

Chess.com write up with anotated games

Dan King wraps Grischuck/So.

Sopiko Guramishvili looks at yesterday's Aronian/Liren game for Chess24

Pepe Cuenca looks at yesterday's Aronian/Liren game for Chess24

ChessNetwork looks at yesterday's Caruana/So game. As Mentioned he explains things for beginners more which is great for dumbasses like me.

PGNs

Final bits of news:

* Surprise surprise the AGON website is a total poo poo show still.

* Chess.com mentions that they don't mention Chess24 because they mad that Chess24 had the nerve to beat them in court. Lmao loving morons.

* Speaking of the players making GBS threads on the event, the players can now poo poo at the event because they have running water in the toilets.

:siren: Yes the toilets having running water is news at this event :siren:

* It's apparently a bit quieter now though.

* They still only have one toilet.

* I can spell Mamedyarov without looking now. Mamedyarov. Mamedyarov.

Openings through round 2:

Seriously who cares about this stuff aside from me?

* English Opening,
* Catalan x 2
* King's Indian
* Ruy Lopez (Fianchetto), Ruy Lopez (Berlin), Ruy Lopez (Closed)
* Nimzo Indian

Standings:

Kramnik first on tiebreaker. I think that's because he beat Grischuck who is above Karjakin in the standings, who Mamedyarov beat.

Today/Tonight's Games

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 12, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

1.e4 in every game. I wonder when the last time that happened. We have one Berlin (not the endgame line, though), one Italian, one Najdorf, and one Wesley So deciding how to answer 1...e5.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess the Sicilian is going to be a wild as it looks to the naked eye?

e:

Hand Knit posted:

1.e4 in every game. I wonder when the last time that happened. We have one Berlin (not the endgame line, though), one Italian, one Najdorf, and one Wesley So deciding how to answer 1...e5.

I love when we get the classical and the berlin at the same time. ~variety~

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 12, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Very good apm"

"Is that a.... star craft thing?"

"Yes"

- An actual honest to god exchange I just heard on the chess24 stream between 2 Grandmasters.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god Levon

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Might be regretting some choices right now.

e: Like he's losing from such a fundemental "I did not understand the opening on a basic level" game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

e: Like he's losing from such a fundemental "I did not understand the opening on a basic level" game.
Like when I play 1. e4

:negative:

I hate seeing chess dad getting beaten up like this :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
28.Kh2 g=Q+ 29.Kxg1 f2+ 30.Kh1 Rh3+ 31.Kg2 f=Q# is the stuff of my worst nightmares

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hand Knit posted:

I saw him go into a berlin against kramnik and i was like drat, levon is ready to show the world he is going to take this tournament and then everything seemed to fall apart from kh1 rg8

Fabi/Shak is a really sharp ending

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fabi might have missed it, the computers have swung back to even and now he has 4 minutes for 9 moves or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shak says gently caress your draw we're playing 4 min blitz with a 30 second increment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god tick tock

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Oh god tick tock

Made time control, this seems alot better for black now with the h and e pawn racing down the board

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I saw him go into a berlin against kramnik and i was like drat, levon is ready to show the world he is going to take this tournament and then everything seemed to fall apart from kh1 rg8

0-0 and h3 without black castling is a huge "doesn't have an elementary understanding of the position" fuckup. Since black hasn't committed to castling kingside, the g3 and h3 squares basically have giant neon flashing "punch me" signs. In the first 10 moves of the game, Lev spent 2 creating a giant weakness that he then has to spend the rest of the game trying to undo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I will state with confidence that I could lose the Caruana-Mamedyarov position from either side.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Seems like the day of 1.e4 ended in 3 draws and 1 win for black.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

Seems like the day of 1.e4 ended in 3 draws and 1 win for black.

Non-zero chance you're getting ahead of yourself.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Play resumes today for the next 3 days. Aman Hambleton will be on the chessbrah stream with Yasser for these games before Yasser goes to St Louis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXcwGyqGY3c

Chess network has done a video on the Aronian/Kramnik game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Petroff??

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Nobody wants to play spanish after yesterday.

Maybe Caruna wants to borrow the power of old memes to break Kramnik's winning streak. In russian game you beat Kramnik.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chucky sac'd a piece.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Grischuk has played a piece sacrifice against Ding. Topalov won quite a spectacular game in this line a couple years ago or so. Time to see if Ding knows the book.

Karjakin has spotted Aronian a pawn in a QGA and I gotta say... I'm not really sure where Karjakin gets everything back here. Aronian will have trouble if he ever has to castle, but I dunno if he's gonna have to castle.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Christ just looked at the games and shak and so have traded everything off in 20 moves!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I see I picked a bad day to be out in the afternoon. Grischuk missed a win against So and Kramnik is in the process of swindling Caruana?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't really watch chess stuff usually, but the start of this tournament I noticed on twitch (chessbrah guys), and they're easily the best commentators for someone who doesn't really follow a ton of high level chess. They rely much less on using the name references for stuff and more on just explaining while showing moves, and keeping the current board on the side I found a tremendous help while they explore potential moves. Like it gives an anchor I can reference when they start going a bit fast. That and Yasser has a great personality.

It might also help that this tournament seems to have a lot fewer draws than expecting, and even a lot of those seemed pretty hard fought.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress even is this tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nth6BkF3Bcg

50 minutes of breakdown(!)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 15, 2018

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Kramnik Caruana was just an absolutely epic game. Swings back and forth with fabi coming back when he was in what looked like a losing position and under ridiculous time pressure, pretty much playing the increment for 15 moves to make time control.

Think it's a also great example of why computers aren't great at predicting what human players are going to do. At one point if you go through the game stockfish has Kramnik up a giant amount and wants him to under promote (this means getting a pawn on your opponents back rank and choosing something other then a queen) to prevent a check on the king.

A human player 5 hours into a game like that just isn't going to be thinking the same way.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 15, 2018

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think you are talking about move 44, and Stockfish sees Bxd8 following no matter what you promote to, check or no check. Stockfish has a tendency to underpromote in those situations because it thinks it is slightly more likely the opponent will not take if you underpromote. So d8=Q Bxd8 still would have left Kramnick in the position Stockfish considered best for white.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

e: fell for dodgy pgns!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 15, 2018

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I like the Yasser & Anime Hair coverage so much! Especially of the insane Grischuk game.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

I like the Yasser & Anime Hair coverage so much! Especially of the insane Grischuk game.

Anime hair is definitely the better chessbrah for commentry imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Results were 4 draws but Aronian/Grischuck was wild as hell.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Things not going well for Levon :(

Peter and Jan are talking about Leisure Suit Larry vs Day of the Tentacle

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Really good technical game by Mamedyarov to move into a tie for first.

e: And a really cute attempt by Kramnik at the swindle.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Things not going well for Levon :(

Peter and Jan are talking about Leisure Suit Larry vs Day of the Tentacle

:(

Peter said in a banter blitz he learned English playing Leisure Suit Larry.

Hand Knit posted:

Really good technical game by Mamedyarov to move into a tie for first.

e: And a really cute attempt by Kramnik at the swindle.

drat I had such a long week as soon as the games started I just fell asleep on the couch and woke up after it was all over.

I think we can say "Shak - Bad Beater" may no longer be a thing. He'd be such an exciting competitor for Magnus.

e: the worst part about the Aronian thing is if he takes the bishop with check yesterday he probably wins, and if he wins he's only half a point from the leaders even with a loss. It's kinda amazing how razor thin the margins are.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 17, 2018

• Locked thread