Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's too bad David Bowie never got to be in Doctor Who.

Was apparently considered for Sharaz Jek in "The Caves of Androzani".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Yet.

I still believe.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know it's Sting like from The Police, but the idea of the Master descending from the Tardis rafters really tickles me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone remember the guy who swore up and down that Eddie izzard was the new Master back in 2006?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I'm cool with fewer kidfuckers on British Television.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah. :(

No heroes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm super shocked MeToo hasn't hit Rock and Roll yet.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Box of Bunnies posted:

I know it's Sting like from The Police, but the idea of the Master descending from the Tardis rafters really tickles me

Is there another Sting?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

cargohills posted:

Is there another Sting?

The wrestler. :wcw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, it sort of did, it's just that a lot of the people involved (like Bowie) were dead, and complicated grief is really different from "this person still has a career." I feel okay wishing that Bowie had been in Doctor Who for the same reason I think I'd feel okay watching The Usual Suspects. It's complicated and mileage varies, though. I can't watch Woody Allen or Aziz Ansari anymore, despite the fact that I really enjoyed their work, because I have difficulty separating their art from them.

Hollywood is full of sociopaths and I think it's important not to judge people who can't appreciate Salvador Dali because he was a cowardly fascist and also not to judge people who acknowledge that but still like his art.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Wait, what? :confused:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Man, i'd forgotten that some of the DVDs have the old Annuals on them as pdfs. Including that kind of material is pretty neat

Zoltan! Looking forward to Doctor Who and the Continuum Transfunctioner

Man, I hate it when my 60s Mod Elastic Sided Boots pinch! You really can't wear them all day. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Wait, what? :confused:

I'm PM-ing you about this, because the hideous fights about it at the time were enough for everyone.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Teen groupies. I am in no sense defending Bowie I just want to disambiguate the matter as rapidly as possible.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

2house2fly posted:

That poor guy. I bet he'd been waiting for that moment for all his life. Oh lord.

I have it on good authority that he don't care no more. No more, no more. No more, no more. No more, no more.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't see what you'd want him for. He can't dance, he can't talk, the only thing about him is the way he walks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

The near-complete post-mortem rehabilitation of Michael Jackson is odd to think about in retrospect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wheat Loaf posted:

The near-complete post-mortem rehabilitation of Michael Jackson is odd to think about in retrospect.

No one would've given a poo poo about Saville if it didn't make the BBC look bad. Assume there's a political agenda involved, no matter how positive the end result, and no one bothering to vilify Jackson anyhow makes sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/lady-christina-returns

Lady Christina is getting her own boxset Adventures.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They've gone a bit mad with the spin-off box sets. River Song made sense but this is really just going too far.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Honestly I’m happy they’re doing something with all those loose ends.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There gets to be a point where defining any character who only appeared in one episode and could potentially appear again as a "loose end" is a bit too much. It feels like they're trying to be the old Star Wars EU.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/lady-christina-returns

Lady Christina is getting her own boxset Adventures.

Christ no. That’ll do, BF, that’ll do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand; BF has a history of making fun side stories with minor characters. They managed to turn Jago and Litefoot from a one-story side duo into over a dozen box sets of quality adventures.

If this was taking the place of the Monthly releases or something, I'd be worried; but as a spin-off; it can be safely ignored for those who don't care all that much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Jago and Litefoot were much more substantial characters in "Talons" (probably because it had six episodes) than Lady Christina was in "Planet of the Dead".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
But she has a TARDIS bus!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Jago and Litefoot were much more substantial characters in "Talons" (probably because it had six episodes) than Lady Christina was in "Planet of the Dead".

I had forgotten who Lady Christina was, which is a bad sign for a new range. At least Jenny was memorable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm not interested until we get Wilf's Adventures. :colbert:

While I'm not particularly interested, they might do something different or a neat concept with the character. Alternatively it might end up being one of the many bland spin-offs that no-one gives a gently caress about, yet somehow they keep making boxsets for it. *cough Vienna*

Ah well, see how it goes...still going to give that New Earth a try.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Still waiting for Game of Thrones to end so we can get Jenna Coleman, Maisie Williams, and John Barrowman for Immortal Time Travelling Diner Shenanigans: The Big Finish Box Set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Coleman’s kind of a big deal now, what with being Queen Victoria and all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would love some on screen closure for Jack. It would be nice for him to meet Thirteen and find her completely unattractive now that she's a she.

"To be honest, I still miss the ears."

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I would love some on screen closure for Jack. It would be nice for him to meet Thirteen and find her completely unattractive now that she's a she.

As if that would stop him.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhyno posted:

Jack was described as 'sexually flexible', which I guess means whatever you want it to mean.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Last time Jack was brought up in show:

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOg3R_is9Dk

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
Yeah, I think it was established in his first appearance that Jack is an equal-opportunity shagger, when he mentioned stealing his ship (I think) from some space husband and wife, who he then proceeded to have a polyamorous fling with. Or something like that, anyways.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's a sexual omnivore, basically.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
He was monogamous with Ianto because they fell in love or whatever but previously he was depicted as just loving whoever he wanted, because it's the future

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Heck, he was introduced by perving on Rose's arse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

He's a sexual omnivore, basically.

I liked that that got turned up to 11 when Jon Hart turned up in Torchwood.

“Ohh that’s gorgeous!”
“That’s a poodle.”
“It’s nice!”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

I had forgotten who Lady Christina was, which is a bad sign for a new range. At least Jenny was memorable.

Jenny, with both the significance of the character and the actress to the franchise was a no-brainer to return. Seems like they're mining the depths with Lady Christina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

“Hi, Captain Jack Harkness” *extends hand*

“STOP IT. “

Always awesome. :allears:

• Locked thread