Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Someone post the THAT'S TONY ATLAS clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5LI168rBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I like how you can find the point Vince goes "Stick to the script motherfucker"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Even though I grew up with it as a thing, it still boggles my mind to go back and watch Bret Hart be treated like an afterthought in the WWF. I mean, even as a kid we all knew he was something special, but WWF didn't get the memo for the longest time.

What I always found interesting was in 88, post Mania 4, the WWF actually broke up the Hart Foundation to give Hart and Anvil single runs, but both bombed so hard that they ended up sticking them back together. I was shocked that they actually gave them a second tag title run three years after their first title reign had ended.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

What I always found interesting was in 88, post Mania 4, the WWF actually broke up the Hart Foundation to give Hart and Anvil single runs, but both bombed so hard that they ended up sticking them back together. I was shocked that they actually gave them a second tag title run three years after their first title reign had ended.

Oh wow, this makes that ending to the Battle Royal at WM4 make so much sense. If they didn't want Bret's singles run to bomb they probably shouldn't have made his first feud Bad News Brown.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bret's finisher was the Piledriver!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I like how you can find the point Vince goes "Stick to the script motherfucker"

I'd love to have video of them at the exact moment Roddy goes "THAT'S TONY ATLAS!". Just that trademark Piper poo poo-eating grin on his face and Vince staring a hole in him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kayfabe is alive and well

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'd love to have video of them at the exact moment Roddy goes "THAT'S TONY ATLAS!". Just that trademark Piper poo poo-eating grin on his face and Vince staring a hole in him.

I love the fact that here's this new character/gimmick, and Piper immediately starts making GBS threads on it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh wow, this makes that ending to the Battle Royal at WM4 make so much sense. If they didn't want Bret's singles run to bomb they probably shouldn't have made his first feud Bad News Brown.

They worked together a lot in Stampede, so I think maybe Vince was hoping some of that would show forth (since Bad News wasn't getting over on his own either) but it probably didn't help that they didn't much like each other.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Bret's finisher was the Piledriver!

It was a really nice one, too, he started using it again during his Bret Vs America run.

Shawn Michaels does a nice one too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also I love how no matter what Martel does, the vengeful wraith of Tito Santana will never him find peace

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

I love the fact that here's this new character/gimmick, and Piper immediately starts making GBS threads on it.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the only time he did that. I recall a match featuring another repackaged wrestler from this era who was EVEN MORE OBVIOUS than Tony Atlas/Saba Simba (I won't say who since he hasn't appeared yet) and one commentator outright refused to pretend that he was a new guy. I feel like the team was Piper/Monsoon because the other commentator knew to play along with Vince's vision, but didn't have the authority to do anything but nod along and ignore.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

If that's who I'm thinking of

R-r-r-epo Man!

I am *very* much looking forward to seeing the reaction to that one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

If that's who I'm thinking of

R-r-r-epo Man!

I am *very* much looking forward to seeing the reaction to that one.

Nah. I was alluding to Colonel Mustafa.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Did this thread finally hit a wall?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jason Sextro posted:

Did this thread finally hit a wall?

It was my friend's birthday on Saturday, I dropped acid and was completely out of it for the rest of the weekend then spent all my non-work time so far this week catching up with sleep and watching the current WWE product. Something will be up later today.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rarity posted:

It was my friend's birthday on Saturday, I dropped acid and was completely out of it for the rest of the weekend then spent all my non-work time so far this week catching up with sleep and watching the current WWE product. Something will be up later today.

It sounds like you didn't write anything while dropping acid, which is too bad. I do wonder what cartoonish 1991 WWF would look like while tripping.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jason Sextro posted:

It sounds like you didn't write anything while dropping acid, which is too bad. I do wonder what cartoonish 1991 WWF would look like while tripping.

It would probably go really well with WrestleMania 9.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thanks to reddit and WWE's Moolah Battle Royal, I learned something incredible about The Jumping Bomb Angels, and really WWE women's wrestling in general. Since ol' Rarity is a huge fan of the Angels, I figured this would be worthwhile to put here:

Whole thread, there's a lot in there: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/84b2fe/in_light_of_the_controversy_surrounding_the/

A redditor posted:

The Glamour Girls and The Jumping Bomb Angels
So we’re at the part where Moolah actually destroys women’s tag team wrestling. In the late 1980s, Judy Martin & Leilani Kai formed a tag team called “The Glamour Girls”. The Glamour Girls started competing against The Jumping Bomb Angels in 1988, and it was around this time when they decided to stop working for Moolah. Pissed off at the fact that she could no longer make money off them, Moolah decided to hatch a scheme to bring down The Glamour Girls, a scheme that accidentally saw women’s tag team wrestling fall apart as a result. As the plans for the feud between The Glamour Girls and The Jumping Bomb Angels were to culminate in a match for the WWF Women’s Tag Team Championship at WrestleMania V, Moolah decided that was a lame idea, and instead gave Judy Martin a call saying that the office decided to have The Bomb Angels drop the championship on the very last night of the Japan tour. Thus, on June 8, 1988, despite confusion by both The Bomb Angels and The Glamour Girls, The Glamour Girls won the title by count out.

"About three days before we were leaving, Moolah calls the hotel and Judy answers the phone and she says "the office told me to tell you that The Jumping Bomb Angels need to drop the belt on the last night you're here.”

... it might have been Pat Patterson or someone from the office and said "you girls just screwed up”. And Judy asked why and he goes "How could you just go over our heads and switch the belts like that? You just messed everything up for WrestleMania." We tried to tell them about Moolah and it's just like they didn't hear it or care - they were just mad we switched the belts from them."

Because of what happened, The Bomb Angels weren’t asked to come back and the match between The Glamour Girls and The Jumping Bomb Angels at WrestleMania V was scrapped. The belt didn’t even make it to WrestleMania V either, as the WWF decided to retire the WWF Women's Tag Team Championship on February 14, 1989, just a few months before WrestleMania V.

Source: https://youtu.be/QSB3Vtd1eh8?t=7m17s

So if you want to know why women's wrestling in WWE fell apart despite the Angels being really good, there you have it. gently caress Moolah.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 14, 2018

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

basically the office didn't really care because everyone just let Moolah do whatever she wanted for likely unsavoury reasons. It's hard to pinpoint the sleaziest aspect of the industry, historically, but her involvement might be it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Thanks to reddit and WWE's Moolah Battle Royal, I learned something incredible about The Jumping Bomb Angels, and really WWE women's wrestling in general. Since ol' Rarity is a huge fan of the Angels, I figured this would be worthwhile to put here:

Whole thread, there's a lot in there: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/84b2fe/in_light_of_the_controversy_surrounding_the/

So if you want to know why women's wrestling in WWE fell apart despite the Angels being really good, there you have it. gently caress Moolah.

gently caress Moolah and gently caress WWE for trying to honour her.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I read that thread earlier today, and it's a great, informative read. In a business filled with carnies, scumbags and criminals, Moolah may just be the overall biggest piece of poo poo in the history of the business.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#16 Hawk is up next and that means the next number is my guy! Who's it gonna be? Who I get to cheer for this year?

Oh.

Oh gently caress.

quote:

INTRODUCING...

Aw geez, do I have to? Oh god, ok then. Shane Douglas sucks. I first saw him on WCW doing this whole Revolution stable and he sucked then and he sucks now. Yet somehow this is the guy who kickstarted ECW and he sucked then as well. If you want to know more about Douglas then there's only one thing I think needs to be shared. This is a guy who was going to jump ship to WWF alongside Eddie, Benoit and crew and he walked away when WCW offered him more money. This is the guy who walked away being part of one of the hottest moments in all of wrestling. Because he sucked.

Beyond that paragraph I don't know anything else about Douglas's wrestling career, despite the fact he was around the major companies throughout the 90s. I'm pretty sure this is because he's never done a single thing of note or been in a single match worth watching. I wouldn't have even gone to the trouble of giving him one of these intros except I wanted to devote some time to saying that Douglas is absolutely dire.

Godammit. I didn't even realise that Douglas had a WWF run at this point. Oh god, ok. I can do this. ...Go, Shane. There, that's my cheering. Oh and somewhere in all this both Kerry and Snuka got eliminated and nobody knows how. Gino and Piper sure as hell don't. I guess it's time for trusty Wikipedia... Taker got rid of Kerry and Hawk dumped out Snuka. Good to know. Tito and Martel are at it again (happy place, J-Ru!). Meanwhile Greg's still holding out strong from his #3 entry and are we really giving him the iron man push tonight? He's not even done anything since eliminating Dino. The countdown hits once more and it gets to zero to reveal #18 is...

Is...

...nobody? That's right, nobody ever comes out down the entrance. Gino and Piper are very confused by this turn of events which is a bit much. It's a fair shout the Ultimate Warrior has caught up with Randy Savage and now he is otherwise engaged. I mean, it's that or Earthquake got so big he can't fit through the door any more. And now Gino brings up one of the more obscure Rumble rules which is that if you don't get into the ring before the competitor after you does then you're automatically eliminated. Which means that when #19 Animal shows up that is it for our mystery man.

Now that Animal's here to join his buddy we can go full Legion of Doom. They team up to take on Taker and connect with a double clothesline that sends him over and out. Big, big cheers for the LOD boys for that one. I'm guessing it's the first time Taker's ever taken a hit and I really liked it. It makes LOD look strong but Taker needed two men to defeat him. Nice work. Although it is somewhat undercut by Herc' and Martel rushing in to knock Hawk out straight after.

You'd think everyone would have learnt by now to not turn their back on the ring

Sensing a chance to keep this karma train rolling Tito runs in to tip Martel out but he gets nowhere because if there's one constant in the universe it's that Tito will never be allowed to get his cathartic victory. Greg is still inexplicably in the match and Piper comments that “with Valentine it takes you fifteen minutes just to get his attention”. I will never get tired of commentary subtly making GBS threads on Greg. #20 Crush arrives and joins up with Smash for a series of axe handle smashes to Bulldog. Tito's still working on Martel and comes close once more but Martel slips away yet again. Man, Martel is looking aces tonight. Sure, he's not making big waves on the elimination front but he's survived so many scares.

Of course my boy Douglas (I feel unclean) is still very much in the mix. He does a great job of holding Martel down so that Greg can connect with a chop. He follows up with an elbow to Smash. Amazing work, Douglas. Keep it up! #21 Hacksaw Jim Duggan enters the match and goes after Smash to big pop. Ok, Hacksaw still drives me mad but considering the political climate I can understand that. After all, Hacksaw's a lot like America. He's dumb, fat and initiates lots of illegal attacks.

Martel is still right in the thick of the action. He jumps into a bear hug from Animal but manages to break free with a thumb to the eye. Piper calls the match “temporary insanity” but I'm pretty sure that whenever Hacksaw's around the insanity is permanent. Out next is #22 Earthquake whose arrival instantly triggers Animal's hoss radar and they start stiffing the gently caress out of each other. It's pretty awesome. Animal charges in but (and here's a sentence I never thought I'd write) Earthquake is too agile for him and flips him over and out. There, I finally enjoyed a thing Earthquake did. Are you happy now, thread?

Make the most of this moment, it's not happening again

When #23 Curt Hennig comes out he makes his way down the entrance very slowly, which is really cool. It makes him look calm and composed like he's totally got this poo poo under control. When he finally reaches the ring he goes up against Hacksaw who whips him into the turnbuckle so hard he bounces and flips back out of it. I think Hennig vs. Turnbuckles is my favourite inanimate object feud until Randy vs. Tables. Hacksaw runs up but Hennig tips him over for the elimination. Oh no, who will fight for American values now?

Oh wait, here's #24 Hulk Hogan, everything's fine. No wonder they got rid of Hacksaw, can't have another patriot in the ring leeching Hulk's heat. Hulk connects with a big boot to Smash and dumps him out then goes for Earthquake. He gets a few shots in but hasn't got the strength to lift the big man over the top rope. See what happens when you refuse to play with others, Hulk? The next entrant is #25 Haku and while he's getting to the ring Greg disappears. Again, no idea what happened here. Luckily, Wikipedia is my friend and tells me it was Hulk that got him out. Of course it was.

My boy Douglas doing an excellent job of weakening Martel's neck

There is one upside to this though and that's Martel now being on track for the iron man push. Filled with confidence from this new position he takes on Hulk, tears off his shirt and starts choking him with it. For this brief moment Martel is in control of Hulk and then smartly he runs away and avoids him for the rest of the evening. Martel is the smartest wrestler. #26 Jim “The Anvil” Niedhart increases the bodies in the ring but not for long. Tito starts going apeshit on Earthquake but it has literally zero effect and he just shrugs him out. Which is of course not the first time Mexico has been battered by earthquakes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You are in fact entirely correct on the "mystery" entrant...I don't remember if it somehow got cut out of this broadcast or what, but Warrior was occupying Savage by leading him on a cartoon chase all around the building, into the parking lot, and then chasing Macho's car down the road on foot.

Also Shane Douglas was always poop. Then Paul Heyman literally gave him a gimmick in ECW that was "Guy Who Is Actually Really Good", and Heyman could sell bottled water to a drowning man if he wanted to. Douglas should spend every moment of his waking life thanking Paul Heyman for his career.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 14, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who was the worst wrestler Paul Heyman fooled the ECW fans into thinking they were good, either guy from Public Enemy?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While Shane Douglas did suck, you're off-base on saying that he never did anything of note. His promo upon becoming NWA champion is a pretty huge deal in wrestling history.

But other than that, yeah, he was pretty much overpushed garbage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FYI Rarity, on Oct 14, 1989

Tito DID get his comeuppance on Martel, when he beat Martel in the finals on the 1989 King of the Ring Tournament.

Which was never mentioned on TV, and happened at a house show, and to my knowledge, has never been shown anywhere (if a tape even exists)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Don't worry, Shane Douglas is one of the few remaining debuting "stars" that you can safely poo poo on since no one will ever like him enough to defend him.

If HHH is an 8 pushed to be a 10 so everyone thinks he's a 7
and Jeff Jarrett is a 7 pushed to be a 10 so everyone thinks he's a 5
then Shane Douglas is a 6 pushed to be a 10 (in ECW at least) so everyone thinks he's a 3

Or something. I'm not exactly sure how the math works.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think of it as however many numbers you are above where you should be, lose that many numbers. So Shane is probably a 6 pushed as a 10 so he's a 2.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

FYI Rarity, on Oct 14, 1989

Tito DID get his comeuppance on Martel, when he beat Martel in the finals on the 1989 King of the Ring Tournament.

Which was never mentioned on TV, and happened at a house show, and to my knowledge, has never been shown anywhere (if a tape even exists)

If the Rockers never won the Tag Team titles then Tito never beat Martel :colbert:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

who was the worst wrestler Paul Heyman fooled the ECW fans into thinking they were good, either guy from Public Enemy?

My vote is for 911, but that's a good question.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I've been watching ECW TV from the start and am up to 96. There's a lot of candidates, but Douglas and Public Enemy were both good promos. Actually PE were really entertaining, sure, not great wrestlers they had enough fun brawls between 94 & 95.

Nah, I'd say 911 is the obvious one from that period, he was so incredibly over with the ECW crowd but he was just a chokeslam. But if you want someone who actually wrestled then The Sandman has to be considered. He was involved in good angles and he was alright with Woman (who has been one of the revelations for me, she was really good) but he was an entrance and nothing else. Uninteresting talker, minimal in ring talent and just not much going for him. Him in WWE ECW caning weird gimmicks like the Zombie was probably his most watchable run.

Oh and his top rope leg drop looked crappy and like it could bugger up his leg because of how he executed it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't remember ever seeing a good Sandman match, though admittedly "good wrestling" was beside the point with Sandman

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Douglas is also who's responsible for everyone whoo-ing after chops. Douglas ran down Flair and ECW fans started doing it, in kayfabe theory, to piss him off.

Also,

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benne posted:

I don't remember ever seeing a good Sandman match, though admittedly "good wrestling" was beside the point with Sandman

He was weirdly tolerable in the ring during his short WWE run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sandman could brawl decently. Sometimes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Shane also holds a special place in my heart for having the absolute stupidest title win I've ever seen versus Bam Bam Bigelow. The entire match was Bam Bam kicking the poo poo out of Shane for like ten minutes. Then Shane hits a belly to belly through *the world's smallest table* (seriously, this was one of those school desks you would struggle to hold a paper on as a kid), pin, new ECW Champion.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Shane also holds a special place in my heart for having the absolute stupidest title win I've ever seen versus Bam Bam Bigelow. The entire match was Bam Bam kicking the poo poo out of Shane for like ten minutes. Then Shane hits a belly to belly through *the world's smallest table* (seriously, this was one of those school desks you would struggle to hold a paper on as a kid), pin, new ECW Champion.

Shane's belly-to-belly was terrible.

And the Dynamic Dudes were so bad, people were willing to cheer for Jim Cornette to turn on them with the Midnight Express.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shane's pushes really were quite baffling, outside of that one cool promo he did once he has pretty much always been lame his entire career, and it just got sadder and sadder the longer it went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shane Douglas once chatted with me about Iron Maiden's then-latest album, so he's cool in my book.