Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Spellman posted:

Tabletop works too

Oh right, I forgot that was a kickstand and not just a micro sd card slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pichupal posted:

Darn, I need to play a lot more Splatzones and Clam Blitz to reach S+10. I'm Already way over in Rainmaker and Tower Control, but I'll normally pick Salmon Run over Zones or Football.

X is interesting though. I'm not completely sure about the Ranked Mode changes since 8 maps is still quite big, but I'm hoping it means the new map for the month is always included.

How is rainmaker in that range, RM and CB scare me in S+X because of how much coordination is required to do well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2.3.2 is out which fixes the Arowana glitch and puts the map back in rotation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

2.3.2 is out which fixes the Arowana glitch and puts the map back in rotation.

No it didn't; it put the map back in rotation! :stat::wal:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought splatoon 2 today. I am prepared to jump in and also suck badly

Are there any good videos on the basics of playing and not sucking? I literally know nothing about this game other than I like its art style and I want a MP shooter for my Switch.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 14, 2018

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are there any good videos on the basics of playing and not sucking? I literally know nothing about this game other than I like its art style and I want a MP shooter for my Switch.

Keep motion controls on and stick with them, there’s no aim assist like in most console shooters.

The single player campaign is basically a tutorial, maybe play that first if you want to get used to the controls.

Edit: I promise that motion controls will click at some point and you won’t want to go back; I had a friend who extensively played S1 exclusively with dual sticks and I convinced him to stick with motion for S2 and now even he agrees it’s the better control scheme.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 14, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tempura Wizard posted:

Keep motion controls on and stick with them, there’s no aim assist like in most console shooters.

The single player campaign is basically a tutorial, maybe play that first if you want to get used to the controls.

Yeah, play a few levels of single player until you feel comfortable with the controls.

When you give multiplayer a try, in any mode other than Turf War go straight for the objective. I hate it in Splat Zones when I run to the middle and start putting ink down only to get killed by all four opponents because my team mates are loving around inking alternate routes or whatever. It's like, great, we have alternate routes but now they're 20 seconds ahead you knobs.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Another good way to learn the basics of the game is to watch a few matches from competitive players solo queuing to see how they move and space themselves. ThatSRB2Dude is a good player to watch, and he has a pretty good set of basic weapon analysis videos that helped me out when I was starting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSY6iG5sYMc

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah nothing to write home about there. Also I hate giving up my beloved ninja squid.

Be brave. Stay fresh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

As someone that mainly uses mid to long range shooters, I love thermal ink so much. I’m logging into the app everyday to get every piece of gear with it I see.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look Fresh.

Getting Gud will come with time.

Trust the motion controls.

Always be Booyahing!

:woomy:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I recently searched the thread for how to motion controls and this video is what got the gears moving for me. Though, I'm still just doing single player to acclimate and it hasn't been without problems; I've reached the point where turning off motion controls is a hindrance.

The most important tip I can gather is to only use motion to look up or down and fine aim, not for big rotations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XloXds3GldU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i will never have aim this good again

https://twitter.com/In__Training/status/974008416942243840

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Super Jumping is very good if the enemy team is wiped and your team is pressing the advantage. It is very dangerous if the enemy team is alive and fighting for the objective.

Learn to identify safe flanking routes on maps and when to use them, because randoms will invariably charge down the middle one at a time and die over and over.

Allies bodyblock your shots, so mind your positioning when joining a firefight.

Don't forget to Booyah.

If an ally is stuck in enemy ink, shooting an escape route for them is often more useful than rushing in and possibly getting yourself killed, especially if their mobility is already hindered by a splatling or the sting ray special.

Squids and water don't mix.

Pearl, like Callie, is actually the good one.

Booyah, and Booyah back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Along with Booyah'ing, using the Ouch! button is extremely useful to notify your team if you've been flanked

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Manticore posted:

All credibility lost

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Look Fresh.

Getting Gud will come with time.

Trust the motion controls.

Always be Booyahing!

:woomy:

:emptyquote:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marina is the best one lmao.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Marina is the best one lmao.

:emptyquote: also.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Remember the ABCs of Splatoon:

Always
Booyah
Back

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Remember the ABCs of Splatoon:

Always
Booyah
Back

A whole team booyahing at the start of matches is usually a good indicator that my team is fresh and will have good teamwork.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

A whole team booyahing at the start of matches is usually a good indicator that my team is fresh and will have good teamwork.

I don't like people booyahing at the beginning of the round in Salmon Run. Communication during the countdown should be limited alerting people if it's low tide and they need to rush to the other catch point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't like people booyahing at the beginning of the round in Salmon Run. Communication during the countdown should be limited alerting people if it's low tide and they need to rush to the other catch point.

Booo

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've just been too distracted to touch Splatoon 2 for a couple of months now but for getting used to and playing with motion controls, using my keyboard gel wrist rest helped a ton both for comfort as well as precision.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Guy Goodbody posted:

unfresh spotted

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I boo the man as his father!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Boo this--

Oh

Bleck posted:

I boo the man as his father!

:yeah:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

If it's low tide, just spam this way AND booyah

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

The Manticore posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It only took me 8 months but I finally have a outfit I think looks cool plus all the abilities I want

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Booyahs are earned, not given :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leaf Lock posted:

Booyahs are earned, not given :colbert:

One Booyah at the start of any round lets you know the other squidkids are cool if they booyah back :colbert:

It's actually a surprisingly decent litmus test for guessing the quality of players you're paired with for the round.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One Booyah at the start of any round lets you know the other squidkids are cool if they booyah back :colbert:

It's actually a surprisingly decent litmus test for guessing the quality of players you're paired with for the round.

This is all very true

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wise squids Booyah because they have something to Booyah; fools Booyah because they have to :tipshat:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leaf Lock posted:

Wise squids Booyah because they have something to Booyah; fools Booyah because they have to :tipshat:

We have something to booyah: analysis of teammates. Checkmate, abooyahists.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Booyah

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Booyah

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
started playing this again and I'm not ranked in Clam Blitz which means every game I'm with colorblind six year olds

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

good news

it doesn't get any better in higher ranks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Rexroom posted:

It was obvious from the get-go that all the nice and boring people will pick the "right" answer instead of the more fun one, so of course they'd flock to that side. And nice people will follow silly rules like "ink the spawn", meaning they were destined to lose.

The more fun answer WAS Egg though. Between the fact it lets you draw dinosaurs and the hilarious misreadings of 'egg power' and the ranks ('egg' is slang for someone who hasn't realized they're transgender yet) there was no contest.