Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ColHannibal posted:

You want clear switches by the way.

Why? They take more force than MX Browns, but otherwise seem very similar. Are they quieter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Why? They take more force than MX Browns, but otherwise seem very similar. Are they quieter?
They're only quieter insofar in that you're less likely to bottom them out. I can't type on Browns without doing that.

teethgrinder posted:

That's really loving awesome. I'm still holding out for that elusive Race3-compatible set though. (After accumulating a bunch of random sets)
Hah timely.

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/3451/pulse-sa-round-3

These might very well be what I get for my Race3.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ynglaur posted:

Also, the RGB defaults to factory settings whenever I use a KVM because settings aren't saved on the keyboard but in Razer's software. The Asus keyboard actually stored all of its macros and profiles on-board, which was nice.

Corsair keyboards save profiles to the device itself. You lose animations when you do that, but that's fine because animations are pretty much only there for showing off, outside of a few gaming situations where they can be useful. Presumably anywhere you're allowed to install games you can have the keyboard software running too.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

They're only quieter insofar in that you're less likely to bottom them out. I can't type on Browns without doing that.

That might be good, but I was able to type on MX Browns without bottoming out constantly. The selection of keyboards with these seems very sparse, unfortunately. Any ideas?

wolrah posted:

Corsair keyboards save profiles to the device itself. You lose animations when you do that, but that's fine because animations are pretty much only there for showing off, outside of a few gaming situations where they can be useful. Presumably anywhere you're allowed to install games you can have the keyboard software running too.

That would work. I don't care about animations, only illumination.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Ynglaur posted:

Recommend me a keyboard!
  • Mechanical
  • RGB
  • Keypad
  • I don't want to build it myself
  • <$200 USD
  • On-board profile (i.e. I don't want the light color to change just because I switched which computer is connected).

The Ducky Shine 6 seems to fit your needs. From your past keyboards it seems like you are a tactile fan like me, so here's one with Cherry MX Browns: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2388

You can set the backlighting (and side lighting!) from the keyboard itself, and Ducky also provides an optional program you can install on your computer to program the lighting. With either method, the configuration is saved on the keyboard itself and will persist across computers.

If you prefer a more minimal aesthetic, the Ducky One RGB is a more rectangular version without the side lighting or the optional software: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2881

Ynglaur posted:

Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with Green switches (roughly equivalent to Cherry MX Reds).

Razer Green switches are much closer to Cherry MX Blue than the linear, no-bump no-click Reds :raise:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 14, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I really like my CODE, but I wish I bought it as a TKL instead of full. Now I’m sitting here considering buying the same keyboard, but TKL.

This thread is dangerous for me.. I haven’t even started looking into custom boards or swapping key caps out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

onesixtwo posted:

This thread is dangerous for me.. I haven’t even started looking into custom boards or swapping key caps out.

Yeah, nowadays a $200 dollar keyboard is perfectly reasonable.

At least I infected 2 coworkers. One is getting a Whitefox, the other is looking for a TKL.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

onesixtwo posted:

I really like my CODE, but I wish I bought it as a TKL instead of full. Now I’m sitting here considering buying the same keyboard, but TKL.

How long ago did you buy the CODE, and what's the return/exchange policy at WASD? :haw:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

You said you like blues (clicking tactile bump, reds are light touch linear switches) the clear are essentially quiet blues.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 14, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

This upcoming Massdrop CTRL tenkeyless keyboard seems eerily similar to the K-Type, but also slightly better?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This upcoming Massdrop CTRL tenkeyless keyboard seems eerily similar to the K-Type, but also slightly better?

As a K-Type owner, it's... just a different color? Seems like second version of the original.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It's definitely not just a different color. It's QMK instead of kiibohd for the firmware, it has full USB hub capability instead of just passthrough of a second device running the same firmware, and it doesn't use the visually very cool but poorly designed magnetic bar to elevate it. It also doesn't use the lovely, wobbly stabilizers that the K-Type has.

I'm still annoyed with how Massdrop jerked around the Input Club guys, and this is them proving how well and truly hosed that relationship is (not that it wasn't obvious after IC went and made Hako switches after not being able to use Halo anymore), but this thing does look like a visible improvement in several ways. Kiibohd has really been a relative failure. The functionality they promised for release is definitely not all there even today, 5 months after the release of the hardware. It's still a pain in the rear end to deal with, and it's at least somewhat a moving target because the spec still hasn't hit 1.0. Hell, the spec got updated on Jan 15th, and the configurator was last updated over a month before that.

Don't get me wrong, I love my K-Type, and I'm glad I bought it, but I'm looking at this thing and struggling not to buy it, because it's obvious to me that unless there are some serious manufacturing defects, it IS better.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

And here I am struggling with Asus vs. Corsair vs. Cooler Master vs. some company called "Ducky" that I heard of for the first time today. How deep does the rabbit hole go with mechanical keyboards?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
As deep as you want it to go. You'll find that there are people that are perfectly happy with a basic, full-size board with linear switches, no lighting, and stock keycaps. On the opposite side of the spectrum are the people that design their own PCBs for fully custom layouts (40% ortholinear, for example), program their firmware, hand-modify switches (well, I need Kaihua housing, but I want a Cherry stem, and the spring needs to have this custom tension, and it needs to be lubed with this specific compound...), program elaborate lighting profiles, and buy $200+ keycap sets and bespoke artisan caps that can individually cost over $100.

Personally, I've got 3 different boards today. A Corsair K70 (home) with Cherry MX reds and red backlighting (the old model, no RGB or lovely gamer font for the glyphs!), a Pok3r 60% with no lighting (backpack, usually used at work) with Cherry MX blacks and a moderately priced set of doubleshot PBT caps from Tai-Hao and a single aluminum artisan cap for Esc, and a K-Type (future home) that's stashed away waiting for me to find a new set of caps that I like on the blindingly bright aluminum frame. I intend to also replace the springs in all the switches on it with ones that are a little heavier than MX blacks, so I don't have to go out of my way to buy other switches with clear housing, even though it's hot-swappable.

Edit: Basically, this hobby is what you choose to make of it. Some people just want a single keyboard that isn't flimsy and doesn't feel like mush to type on. Others treat it like Pokémon, and have to collect all the things. And for some, it's an evolving adventure to try to find their "endgame" board that gives them the exact layout, features, and appearance that they want.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 15, 2018

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, I got my first mechanical keyboard about 6 years ago, a basic full keyboard with Cherry Browns, and if I still had it today, I'd be pretty happy with it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

G-Prime posted:

It's definitely not just a different color. It's QMK instead of kiibohd for the firmware, it has full USB hub capability instead of just passthrough of a second device running the same firmware, and it doesn't use the visually very cool but poorly designed magnetic bar to elevate it. It also doesn't use the lovely, wobbly stabilizers that the K-Type has.

I'm still annoyed with how Massdrop jerked around the Input Club guys, and this is them proving how well and truly hosed that relationship is (not that it wasn't obvious after IC went and made Hako switches after not being able to use Halo anymore), but this thing does look like a visible improvement in several ways. Kiibohd has really been a relative failure. The functionality they promised for release is definitely not all there even today, 5 months after the release of the hardware. It's still a pain in the rear end to deal with, and it's at least somewhat a moving target because the spec still hasn't hit 1.0. Hell, the spec got updated on Jan 15th, and the configurator was last updated over a month before that.

Don't get me wrong, I love my K-Type, and I'm glad I bought it, but I'm looking at this thing and struggling not to buy it, because it's obvious to me that unless there are some serious manufacturing defects, it IS better.

Ugh, I feel the same. I like the improvements, and in the time I've owned my K-Type, I'm pretty sure QMK is the future and KLL will fall by the wayside. Also the ash-gray color appeals to me more. I'm a little sad about the MD/I:C drama, even though it was a bit before my time.

Might have to pick up a naked version of this if it's significantly cheaper than the $200 for the fully built version... Rumor has it they'll offer a capless and switchless option.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Sigh, that's everything I wanted the K-Type to be. Definitely my biggest keyboard related purchase regret is getting this stupid thing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Does anyone know what this keyset is called? Saw it in a WASD typing video but I couldn't see it on their site.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Ugh, I feel the same. I like the improvements, and in the time I've owned my K-Type, I'm pretty sure QMK is the future and KLL will fall by the wayside. Also the ash-gray color appeals to me more. I'm a little sad about the MD/I:C drama, even though it was a bit before my time.

Might have to pick up a naked version of this if it's significantly cheaper than the $200 for the fully built version... Rumor has it they'll offer a capless and switchless option.

If they offer a naked one, my wife's going to have to be mad at me, because I'm definitely buying it. And I might still, even if there's not a naked one. It'll be a pain in my rear end, doing all the custom work on another set of switches, but I'll suck it up and do it. Though, if I can manage to score Tealios, that may eliminate that work entirely. While writing this post, it came to my attention that they're approximately what I want: Linear, heavier than black by a reasonable amount (just over 10%), with transparent housing. So they might be just the ticket.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Megalixir posted:

Does anyone know what this keyset is called? Saw it in a WASD typing video but I couldn't see it on their site.

VIM Programmer Dvorak?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

G-Prime posted:

I am happy with my K-Type functionally, and whatever switches I got (the similar-to-MX-Clears ones) are great. My only nuisance is half the caps got really grimy and need washing. Various crap on my broken hand seems to have affected the right-hand side of the keyboard.

I wish the firmware was more interesting/useful ... but it's a keyboard. I don't really like having to modify firmware anyway if I want to use macros.

I have no interest in the Massdrop update, and frankly the colour/defaults aren't appealing to me at all. I can't think of good replacement caps for the K-Type, but it physically looks and feels great out-of-the-box (but eff that stupid rainbow wave ... fingerprints is where it's at)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

You answered your own question, it’s a wasd custom set.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

For what it's worth, I got my first mechanical keyboard about 6 years ago, a basic full keyboard with Cherry Browns, and if I still had it today, I'd be pretty happy with it.
Yeah I got a Wasd TKL with Browns for work, promptly got another for at home and nothing has caught my attention since.

ColHannibal posted:

That was another thing I liked about wasd: they let me pick a disgusting mismatched key set for no extra charge.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 15, 2018

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

G-Prime posted:

Fair enough. And yeah, it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking to myself "what the hell, I can program, maybe I should help them with the KLL work" because the features I want are in the spec but not implemented.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I went looking for a TKL with dedicated volume control keys similar to the K70. While I found the K63, I was dismayed that its Ctrl/Super/Alt keys aren't all the same size, so I can't use any of my fancy keycap sets. Do I have any other options for a TKL with non-Fn-key-based volume control?

And on a separate note, a coworker picked up a Chinese "50g electrostatic capacitive" TKL keyboard - this is the same as a "Topre-like"? I loved the feel of his keyboard and so now I'm looking at something to replace this K60 using MX Blues. Should I go for a proper Topre, or are Topre-likes fine options in their own right? Any suggestions either way?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IAmKale posted:

I went looking for a TKL with dedicated volume control keys similar to the K70. While I found the K63, I was dismayed that its Ctrl/Super/Alt keys aren't all the same size, so I can't use any of my fancy keycap sets. Do I have any other options for a TKL with non-Fn-key-based volume control?

And on a separate note, a coworker picked up a Chinese "50g electrostatic capacitive" TKL keyboard - this is the same as a "Topre-like"? I loved the feel of his keyboard and so now I'm looking at something to replace this K60 using MX Blues. Should I go for a proper Topre, or are Topre-likes fine options in their own right? Any suggestions either way?

Honestly I have had a Realforce, HHKB, Leopold FC660C and a Chinese knockoff and they are about the same. The difference is in the finish and the plastics. The Chinese knockoff also takes more keycaps because they have the hybrid stems.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A tiny bit of liquid sprayed onto my Microsoft Natural 4000 and now multiple keys don't work, so I guess it's dead.

Any suggestions for replacements? I really like the ergonomic split keyboard design, I absolutely need the dedicated volume/mute keys, the dedicated calculator key is just as useful, and the programmable top row of keys means I can launch Notepad and Paint with 1 button which is extremely useful.

With all that in mind, should I just get another Natural 4000?

edit: Best Buy has them for $25 so I'll probably just get another. Part of me wants to buy a backup but that's kinda insane at this time. On the one hand, keyboards do wear out and this one is especially susceptible to liquids, but if it lasts me 4 years like my current one has, it's also reasonable to expect that my preferences might change or Microsoft might come out with an updated version, and even if I don't like the new version, I could buy another 4000 at that time.

$25 though...

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 16, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Josh Lyman posted:

A tiny bit of liquid sprayed onto my Microsoft Natural 4000 and now multiple keys don't work, so I guess it's dead.

Any suggestions for replacements? I really like the ergonomic split keyboard design, I absolutely need the dedicated volume/mute keys, the dedicated calculator key is just as useful, and the programmable top row of keys means I can launch Notepad and Paint with 1 button which is extremely useful.

With all that in mind, should I just get another Natural 4000?

edit: Best Buy has them for $25 so I'll probably just get another. Part of me wants to buy a backup but that's kinda insane at this time. On the one hand, keyboards do wear out and this one is especially susceptible to liquids, but if it lasts me 4 years like my current one has, it's also reasonable to expect that my preferences might change or Microsoft might come out with an updated version, and even if I don't like the new version, I could buy another 4000 at that time.

$25 though...

If it's got a lot of features you can't live without you should buy four at that price. You'll be hard pressed finding your list of stuff on another keyboard in the future that's not some kind of specialty ergonomic model with programmable keys. It will not cost $25.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Get a Kinesis Advantage

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ColHannibal posted:

Well, it isn't on their site, and I can't make a colorway with their VIM layout, so I sent them an email.

Never dealt with WASD before.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there anything out that is basically the Apple Magic Keyboard but Mechanical, specifically made for MacOS? Keypad isn’t necessary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

If it's got a lot of features you can't live without you should buy four at that price. You'll be hard pressed finding your list of stuff on another keyboard in the future that's not some kind of specialty ergonomic model with programmable keys. It will not cost $25.
I ended up getting 2 because 4 just seemed hoarderish. The Natural 4000 is already 12.5 years old so they should easily last me until the next product update. Just for comparison, I broke out my old Microsoft Curve 2000 this morning and while it has an ergonomic curve, dedicated volume/calculator keys, and 3 quicklaunch keys that can be reassigned to notepad/paint, the non-split design feels cramped and the "normal" keyboard tilt is noticeably worse than the negative tilt of the Natural 4000. I used to be a fan of short key travel, exclusively being a laptop user, but I guess scissor-switch is different enough from standard membrane because the Curve 2000 bottoms out much more and it's horrible.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The drop for the CTRL keyboard is live. Hope you like tactile switches. If you don't, there are only two clicky choices (Cherry Blues, which carry a $25 premium; and Kailh BOX Whites) and a single linear (Kailh Speed Silver, so you better enjoy that super high actuation point too).

I'm gonna sit this one out and see the user reviews later this year. Might end up picking up one from the secondhand market for Christmas or something :v:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there anything out that is basically the Apple Magic Keyboard but Mechanical, specifically made for MacOS? Keypad isn’t necessary.

This is a difficult ask because you aren’t going to find a super thin mechanical keyboard like the Magic Keyboard at all. Best bet is to recognize if you want something super portable and thin like the Magic Keyboard, or a mechanical keyboard with good macOS compatibility.

Look into CODE, they have a macOS mode toggle switch on the back as well as some other hardware toggles you can put. I use mine for both Windows and macOS and really enjoy typing on the thing. They sell TKL versions on WASD or amazon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

onesixtwo posted:

This is a difficult ask because you aren’t going to find a super thin mechanical keyboard like the Magic Keyboard at all. Best bet is to recognize if you want something super portable and thin like the Magic Keyboard, or a mechanical keyboard with good macOS compatibility.

Look into CODE, they have a macOS mode toggle switch on the back as well as some other hardware toggles you can put. I use mine for both Windows and macOS and really enjoy typing on the thing. They sell TKL versions on WASD or amazon.

Oh I should have mentioned the thin size doesn’t really matter at all. It’s nice but not essential. More important is a straight out of the box (to a point since customizing looks super fun) macOS friendly keyboard.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Was looking at that Scrabble cap set.... Yeah gently caress those guys for how they compartmentalize each item... It would cost me 115 bucks to get my vortex core tricked out....

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone try Kailh box navy or jade yet?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Poker 2s, Pok3rs and Race3s have a quick Mac-mode toggle fwiw. Might like the form factor of those?

edit: still need to sell my Poker 2 lol.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh I should have mentioned the thin size doesn’t really matter at all. It’s nice but not essential. More important is a straight out of the box (to a point since customizing looks super fun) macOS friendly keyboard.

If you're okay with a battleship-sized keyboard, wellllll... As a daily user of a 1989 Apple Extended Keyboard I feel obligated to point out that it is to this day the best keyboard Apple has ever made, and in general an absolutely top tier mechanical keyboard by any measure. It also has the exact same layout as a modern Mac keyboard. It's from an era when peripherals were actually expected to cost a significant amount of money, and it's built accordingly - I read somewhere recently that it was originally sold for something like $170 in 1989 dollars, which would be $340 today. If all you've ever tried is Cherry MX, it's hard to explain what you're missing out on - orange Alps are just loving amazing.

Only problem is that these things are pretty expensive and hard to find these days, and if you do find a reasonably priced one chances are you might have to do some cleanup and reconditioning of it. It's not hard at all and requires no soldering or special tools, it's just kinda tedious to open and clean all 105 switches.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Well, it isn't on their site, and I can't make a colorway with their VIM layout, so I sent them an email.

Never dealt with WASD before.

Drill down from the top menu

Products

Full key cap sets

104 key custom Cherry MX set

Then use the tool to make the set.

Wasd does not do “sets”, they uv print caps to order meaning they can make anything. I recognize the colors in the set you linked as their default colors but you can get crazy with designs.

Ex : https://m.imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/vg8yM

Edit: 5 min of work

https://imgur.com/a/ybahA

The colors match your photo and your photo is of a wasd keyboard.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 16, 2018