Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Glee was a beautiful disaster. It was unbearable 90% of the time but the 10% that was good was still so loving good I kept watching it, oh god why Murphy why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first season was wonderful and then it progressively slid as it lost the dark comedy and became more soap opera.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheBizzness posted:

The first season was wonderful and then it progressively slid as it lost the dark comedy and became more soap opera.

This is exactly how I feel about Glee as well. That pilot is still among my favorites.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ok, so we’ve established that a lot of this show is fictitious, but I really want to know how little of Andrew’s origin story there is true.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm like 25 minutes into this episode and already I'm thinking "Okay, it makes sense why he killed all those people."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is it just me or is this season somehow even better than the OJ season? The OJ season was some of the most gripping television I've seen in years, but this... :stonk:

And barely anyone's talking about it! What the gently caress?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ok, so we’ve established that a lot of this show is fictitious, but I really want to know how little of Andrew’s origin story there is true.

Here's an inside scoop I can offer you.

1) Pete/Modesto certainly was an opportunist, but not the slimeball swindler type he's made out to be, stealing old ladies' heating money. He was abusive to MaryAnn, though nowhere near to the degree displayed (mental health professionals treated her far, far worse, not that any of it is excusable.) Something he resented a lot was the racism in the US Navy which prevented Philippine national enlistees from moving up. Perhaps view his embezzlement as that kind of disillusionment with success rather than as raw depredation, I think.

2) Andrew was almost certainly not sexually abused by his father, but the Church is a real possibility. Someone used the Andrew DeSilva alias on a hotline for victims of priest abuses, and it was a fairly strong Catholic household.

3) Andrew did get a sports car from Pete, but not at 11. They all had cars, actually, gifts from MaryAnn's family (apparently paid in cash.)

4) Pete was likely never under any suspicion from the feds or local PD. That he embezzled is a circumstantial guess. He did sell everything out from under everyone. We, and by that I mean our family, still have no concrete idea of what really made him bug out and flee to the Philippines. It was a cowardly thing to do, but still, very unclear. We don't even know if he's still alive or not, because rural Philippine documentation is a quagmire, but signs point to no. The only thing which really resonated with me in that entire episode was "the body knows."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it just me or is this season somehow even better than the OJ season? The OJ season was some of the most gripping television I've seen in years, but this... :stonk:

And barely anyone's talking about it! What the gently caress?

The Ringer did a piece about that recently but the reasons are fairly obvious.

1. The OJ trial is one of the biggest cultural events of the 20th century. Every American old enough to remember 1994 can remember tons of pieces about that case and it's had a major impact on how we cover celebrities for almost 25 years now.
2. That show had way more star power--Cuba Gooding Jr., David Schwimmer, John Travolta and Nathan Lane are significantly more famous than anyone in this show besides Penelope Cruz and maybe Ricky Martin, who have small roles.
3. Andrew Cunanan is a largely unknown serial killer. His acts came 20 years after the peak of infamous killers and he took his own life before ever getting caught. His most famous victim gives the show its title but he's barely in it. Plus no fashion designer has ever been as famous as OJ Simpson.

But yes, it's a much better show than OJ. That season was really fun but it was 50% trash television, which fit the theme of what it was covering. This season is far more "serious." Also the performances on this season are way better. Schwimmer, Gooding and especially Travolta were actively bad.

Ormi posted:

4) Pete was likely never under any suspicion from the feds or local PD. That he embezzled is a circumstantial guess. He did sell everything out from under everyone. We, and by that I mean our family, still have no concrete idea of what really made him bug out and flee to the Philippines. It was a cowardly thing to do, but still, very unclear. We don't even know if he's still alive or not, because rural Philippine documentation is a quagmire, but signs point to no. The only thing which really resonated with me in that entire episode was "the body knows."

You're related to Andrew Cunanan but this is only your third post in this thread?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
woof that episode was rough :(

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ormi posted:

Here's an inside scoop I can offer you.

Thanks for the insightful post.

Was the "Prince Andrew" treatment as depicted accurate, or like the cars being given to all the kids, was there not any real favoritism shown towards him like we saw?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Sand Monster posted:

Thanks for the insightful post.

Was the "Prince Andrew" treatment as depicted accurate, or like the cars being given to all the kids, was there not any real favoritism shown towards him like we saw?

There was a lot of favoritism. He was given the master bedroom, did get into Bishop's when his siblings were in public schools, etc. It just seemed like even that was exaggerated for television.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

holy poo poo what an ending

the most standout shot of this series was right there in the finale, where the room is lit green and Andrew's eyes are black. that's everything about the whole show

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This was very well done, but if I were ever to watch it again I would probably just watch the premiere and the finale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I laughed at the champagne. I'm going to hell :(

Goddamn though. God. drat. This season was so good. Better than the first, for sure, but so different it's not fair to compare. I love how this season was essentially an anthology of stories about this one serial killer.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season was amazing. It's Ryan Murphy showing his unparalleled skill as a television director, understanding the form in the same way that Tarkovsky understood film.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He really is a phenomenal television director, and he knows how to get a performance out of somebody. I'm excited for Pose. It's another musical and another Falchuk/Murphy writing endeavour, but it's about the New York ball scene in the 80s and my gay rear end is super excited for it.

I kind of want to see him tackle movies again, so long as someone else is writing it. I never saw Eat, Pray, Love but I really liked Running With Scissors.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

He really is a phenomenal television director, and he knows how to get a performance out of somebody. I'm excited for Pose. It's another musical and another Falchuk/Murphy writing endeavour, but it's about the New York ball scene in the 80s and my gay rear end is super excited for it.

I kind of want to see him tackle movies again, so long as someone else is writing it. I never saw Eat, Pray, Love but I really liked Running With Scissors.

I didn't know about that before, but it seems great. I'm glad that he's directing something happy for a change. AHS Roanoke, and both American Crime Stories have been insanely grim, especially in terms of how both figure American media culture.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is insanely beautiful, and it gets to the heart of the irony of the gay experience in America: they want your culture, but they don't want you. That is, most essentially, the point of OJ. Murphy's larger point throughout the series, as banal as it is to say, is that the crime isn't the individual - it's our sick, hosed up society that allows the stark relief of the crime to become apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sector_corrector posted:

This show is insanely beautiful, and it gets to the heart of the irony of the gay experience in America: they want your culture, but they don't want you. That is, most essentially, the point of OJ.

Actually I think it's the inverse of OJ - America wanted him, but not his culture.

• Locked thread