Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Well that's some poo poo. I always used packet tracer and physical hardware, but I am increasingly becoming an old.

edit for new page:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

GNS3 doesn't support Catalyst switches. I've tried, it's a goddamn nightmare, and I never got it off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest version of GNS3 is so unstable for me that I stopped using it. Today I found out that Cisco VIRL is way cheaper than a year ago ($199 vs. $299) so I'm gonna resubscribe to that, another upside to VIRL is that it comes with a L2 image for all your switching needs.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The latest version of GNS3 is so unstable for me that I stopped using it. Today I found out that Cisco VIRL is way cheaper than a year ago ($199 vs. $299) so I'm gonna resubscribe to that, another upside to VIRL is that it comes with a L2 image for all your switching needs.

You can also use your VIRL images in GNS3, and GNS3 doesn't have the limitation of 20 nodes (that you can no longer expand in VIRL except maybe by using the Packet cloud provider to rent bare metal servers to run on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a resource for Cisco labs I can build. I’m finally trying to get my home lab off the ground but I have no imagination.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone know of a resource for Cisco labs I can build. I’m finally trying to get my home lab off the ground but I have no imagination.

For CCNA you can get away with 2 2800 routers and a 2900 switch. They're end of support so there are probably a lot of cheap ones out there that have been dumped by companies.

BUT you should just do Packet Tracer if you're at the CCNA level. Packet tracer can do everything your home lab can do but at a much larger scale, and can emulate endpoints which makes testing DHCP configs and end-to-end pings easier.

A good packet tracer lab is to configure three 'buildings' with two or three subnets per 'building' and OSPF routing between the three segments. Put endpoints on every subnet, then have fun configuring as many ACLs as you want to allow some endpoints to talk to some but not others, etc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I’ve got the lab already. 3 routers and 2 switches. Just haven’t had a chance to start using it.

Then I got a little crazy and got a Juniper. Then I found a cheap console server. I haven’t tried turning everything on at the same time. I’m not sure if it will be a pretty sight.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Gonna get loud as gently caress that's for sure. Hope you have a garage with good airflow.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh I’ve got the lab already. 3 routers and 2 switches. Just haven’t had a chance to start using it.

Then I got a little crazy and got a Juniper. Then I found a cheap console server. I haven’t tried turning everything on at the same time. I’m not sure if it will be a pretty sight.

For what it's worth I like Juniper, but it will certainly be a little out of place studying for a Cisco cert.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Gonna get loud as gently caress that's for sure. Hope you have a garage with good airflow.

It's in my home office. :(

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For what it's worth I like Juniper, but it will certainly be a little out of place studying for a Cisco cert.

My job uses Juniper and Cisco and I really suck at Juniper. So that's not there for certs.

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Has anyone done the Cisco CCDA recently? I am reading reviews and it sounds like the official cert guide sucks rear end (shocking, I know) so I want to get some perspective on what material was useful to those who passed. Kind of a lot of topics on the outline, so I'm wondering if I should do it or just go into the CCNP R&S instead.

https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/exam-topics/200-301-desgn.pdf

I just passed the CCDA on 3/1. It's a typical Cisco pain in the dick test. I used the OCG, CBT nuggets, & Boson practice exams. CBT is too high level to be useful for actual test prep, but it's a good general overview of the material, & I found the presenter much easier to listen to than Jeremy Cioara (who does a lot of the Cisco CBTs). I actually thought the OCG was fairly solid...it does the typical Cisco thing of getting way too in depth on certain irrelevant minutae & then completely glossing over subjects that show up on the exam, but all in all it was probably the best single source of study info I found. The practice test questions that came with the book were also excellent...I felt they were written with the same assholeish level of detail & tricky wording that Cisco loves to use on the exams, so it was a good way to get in the right mindset for the test.

The Boson tests are also great...generally not as in depth as what you'll see on the actual test, but they do a better job simulating an actual Cisco exam environment than any other practice test i've found, & I also love the fact that they include full explanations for every question...not just explaining the right answer, but also explaining why each of the other options are incorrect, & provide page references back to the OCG as well as additional online Cisco documentation. Hugely helpful for expanding your base of study material.

Overall I found the CCDA to be the most difficult test i've studied for because about half of it is Cisco sales bullshit (network lifecycles, design phases, modular campus architectures) & the other half expects you to have a CCNP R&S level of overall knowledge, but also expects you to be conversent in all other areas (wireless, voice, video, security, SP routing, SDN, etc). It's just a bitch of an exam to prep for. But with that complete, I just need to pass ARCH to have my CCDP, & by all accounts the ARCH material is much more technically focused...fingers crossed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
After starting with Cisco and switching over to Juniper, I don't ever want to go back. Switching/routing/fw is a walk in the park on Juniper.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I failed the CCNP route by 20 points on the day my CCNA expired. Is it safe to assume I am turbo hosed beyond belief and now have to retake all three exams?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Umbreon posted:

I failed the CCNP route by 20 points on the day my CCNA expired. Is it safe to assume I am turbo hosed beyond belief and now have to retake all three exams?

As far as I’m aware, yes you need to retake all of them.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

As far as I’m aware, yes you need to retake all of them.

I want to be upset about this, but I'm oddly looking forward to it. I've been moved to night shift at my new job and studying makes the shift pass by like lightning.

On the other hand, let my ignorance be a lesson to anyone reading this post, because God drat was this an expensive fuckup, lol.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You shouldn’t have any trouble with the CCNA at this point if you were ready for ROUTE at least.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Umbreon posted:

You can do ccnax to turn the CCNA into a single test. Half the questions so it can't cover as much, and ccent level questions float your score a bit.

Saves time if anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thrawn posted:

I just passed the CCDA on 3/1. It's a typical Cisco pain in the dick test. I used the OCG, CBT nuggets, & Boson practice exams. CBT is too high level to be useful for actual test prep, but it's a good general overview of the material, & I found the presenter much easier to listen to than Jeremy Cioara (who does a lot of the Cisco CBTs). I actually thought the OCG was fairly solid...it does the typical Cisco thing of getting way too in depth on certain irrelevant minutae & then completely glossing over subjects that show up on the exam, but all in all it was probably the best single source of study info I found. The practice test questions that came with the book were also excellent...I felt they were written with the same assholeish level of detail & tricky wording that Cisco loves to use on the exams, so it was a good way to get in the right mindset for the test.

The Boson tests are also great...generally not as in depth as what you'll see on the actual test, but they do a better job simulating an actual Cisco exam environment than any other practice test i've found, & I also love the fact that they include full explanations for every question...not just explaining the right answer, but also explaining why each of the other options are incorrect, & provide page references back to the OCG as well as additional online Cisco documentation. Hugely helpful for expanding your base of study material.

Overall I found the CCDA to be the most difficult test i've studied for because about half of it is Cisco sales bullshit (network lifecycles, design phases, modular campus architectures) & the other half expects you to have a CCNP R&S level of overall knowledge, but also expects you to be conversent in all other areas (wireless, voice, video, security, SP routing, SDN, etc). It's just a bitch of an exam to prep for. But with that complete, I just need to pass ARCH to have my CCDP, & by all accounts the ARCH material is much more technically focused...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the writeup. It doesn't seem particularly useful to me since it looks like more of a presales engineering focus.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Anyone use Splunk or know anything about their certifications?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Are you going for power user? It's pretty easy

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

We had a VP visit and push for it. I know nothing about it.

Looks like they offer User training for free but anything after that you have to pay?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I think if you purchase licenses you get some credits for use with the advance classes, but otherwise it's $$$

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Getting the training credits is way more than the average user needs.

If you're going to be setting up the forwarders or correlation searches you'll need some time reading the installation guide or playing with the knowledge objects, but that's to be expected

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The certs are incredibly easy, it's basically pay to play.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

I passed mine a couple of months ago, i found the CBT nuggets stuff way too high level but a good overview to start with, and then read the official cisco book. I thought the book was decent and passed so i cant really complain. I am also CCNP R&S and frequently dabble in wireless and voice, but i dont think the technical skills were of great help in the exam as there wasnt alot of overlap

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Going to sit for the ICND1 on Friday. Went through all of Lammle's book and all the sims he has. hitting around 90% on the reviews, am I in OK shape?

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Passed the GCIH yesterday! WOO.

Now on to SEC560/GPEN.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kashuno posted:

Going to sit for the ICND1 on Friday. Went through all of Lammle's book and all the sims he has. hitting around 90% on the reviews, am I in OK shape?

Should be, I did a sort of throw away a few months ago for ICND1, I had finished reading the book/taking notes but didn't really hammer away at studying, was getting 70-80 on practice tests, I missed the test by 1 question and there were 4-5 I KNEW I answered wrong after I thought about them longer.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

I'm trying to change careers to something in IT after spending a while teaching (in another field--English) because I'd like to get out of academia.

I was wondering what you guys might suggest next in terms of certifications that might be useful.

I have a PhD, but in the humanities, so I'm hoping the cert path might prove I'm employable instead of returning to school for a degree specifically in IT. Even still, I am enrolled in an IT program because free credits are one of the benefits of where I work/teach. I've been taking some classes on databases and networking, but I'll have options in the future if you have any suggestions there.

This morning I passed the Net+ exam, so I have at least that. I would be interested in a help desk type job, but I'm not sure if the Net+ alone is enough to get my foot in the door. Also, I noticed at the test taking center they were having a Sharepoint class and that got me to thinking about working as an instructor for a business like that, but what level of expertise would they require? At least there I could get a foot in IT and leverage my teaching skills.

Lastly, from what I've studied so far, I am most fascinated and interested in virtualization, so any recommendations in that direction would also be nice.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Darth Llama posted:

Lastly, from what I've studied so far, I am most fascinated and interested in virtualization, so any recommendations in that direction would also be nice.

Congrats on Net+. As for virtualization you could go the VMware cert route but I’m not really familiar with that so I’ll leave that to others.

Docker is something worth looking at and playing around with too if virtualization peaks your interest. Containers are getting really big and if you only have a little experience with them it’ll make you stand out.

That said, learning what runs on virtualized platforms is useful all by itself. You could go the MS way and start with MCSA (memorization exam) or go the Linux way and start working on RHCSA (hands on exam)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Dude you have a PhD and a ton of work experience. Shoot for above help desk. Net+ helps a lot.

Just don't shoot too high or you'll end up in middle management not touching any tech.

Network analyst might be a great start if you want to get in the networking side, you'll move up fast with your education cred. Work towards a CCNA.

For virtualization start up an Amazon free tier. Build a super simple website, utilize git to push your changes, once you're comfortable use php and SQL to build a database that your website feeds / displays results from. Whenever you interview you can say you don't have professional aws experience but you've done pet projects and most employers will take that as "good enough" to get you in the door.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Excellent, thanks. I've sort-of built myself a home lab with spare parts, and I've managed to get ESXi installed on some pretty old hardware here at my house (after having to build a custom install because of an unsupported driver) and get several different types of virtual machines up and working + did a few live machine to VM conversions. All of that was pretty fun. Docker looks pretty cool so I'll look into that as well.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just don't shoot too high or you'll end up in middle management not touching any tech.

^^^ I for sure want to avoid that at first.

Yeah, I don't really know anyone in the industry, so I'm not sure how my experience fits in. I believe I'd enjoy being a network analyst, as I am doing pretty well in my advanced networking course and yet it feels challenging (a good thing).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hell then get a CCNA and shoot for network engineer right out of the gate. Worst case is somebody might hire you as an analyst with a fast track up to engineer.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Thinking about going for my MCSA at some point in the near future, we're using Server 2012 at my new job, should I get that or go for server 2016?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hell then get a CCNA and shoot for network engineer right out of the gate. Worst case is somebody might hire you as an analyst with a fast track up to engineer.

I'm always wary of "analyst" positions. I've been burned too many times on analyst meaning you say some variation of "yeah the lines down, i'll raise it to an engineer" 50 times a day.

Is that the case in the states?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

My analyst job is 3 12 hour shifts with maybe 10 tickets across them.

I just look at IPS and Phishing alerts. Way easier than infrastructure support

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

I'm always wary of "analyst" positions. I've been burned too many times on analyst meaning you say some variation of "yeah the lines down, i'll raise it to an engineer" 50 times a day.

Is that the case in the states?

There's a huge range of responsibilities and types of work for an analyst. I imagine getting in somewhere that's a tier 1 type deal for internal IT at a semi-large company.

This desk is offline, check the line at the computer, check the line at the switch, look at the switch config for errors. Replace lines, if it's still no good raise it to the engineer. This server can't communicate on port 443, investigate why and come up with a solution, raise that solution to the engineer to implement. Report on the current state of Rack X and include recommended improvements. Stuff like that where there are clear learning opportunities but you really can't gently caress things up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

DotyManX posted:

Thinking about going for my MCSA at some point in the near future, we're using Server 2012 at my new job, should I get that or go for server 2016?

100% get the Server 2012 MCSA and upgrade to 2016 when you're ready. 2016 deepens a lot of features and adds a lot of extra stuff to learn. Get the core bits and bobs for 2012 and you'll be able to put it to immediate use in your day-to-day.

IMO, 2016 is aimed at probably just a few huge companies that want MS-based hyperconverged infrastructure for their MS language-centered applications.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also presently 2019 has no GUI whatsofuckingever. You manage it from Project Honolulu, which is surprisingly not actually terrible. More navigable than Server Manager at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
It does have GUI. Only the 2016 server 1709 didn't have it.