Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Batmasterson posted:

Put Coulson in an LMD

This could work to possibly explain a stealth cameo in Infinity War. Possibly easier to explain than Tahiti if they even want to attempt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I don't see how posting "hot takes" is the same as being like "oh hey look next week a character who is dead is back."

They're both live reactions to information Hulu watchers don't have access to in real time.

Do you get mad when movie posters or trailers reveal something about a movie?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

homullus posted:

Might not be the best example given the number of movie trailers that have spoiled major twists to a movie plot. Terminator Genisys' second trailer revealing John Conner got Skynet'd being the big one that I recall offhand.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Might not be the best example given the number of movie trailers that have spoiled major twists to a movie plot. Terminator Genisys' second trailer revealing John Conner got Skynet'd being the big one that I recall offhand.

And yet that's what I mean. Information gets revealed in promotional materials. I think it's silly to expect to be able to walk the earth in 2018 and entirely avoid the information that the media publisher wants you to have. Hope, maybe; expect, no.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teek posted:

This could work to possibly explain a stealth cameo in Infinity War. Possibly easier to explain than Tahiti if they even want to attempt it.
LMDs don't exist in the movie universe, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

This isn't the place to discuss spoiler policy. Just abide by the rules or discuss it with mods if you want it changed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

homullus posted:

They're both live reactions to information Hulu watchers don't have access to in real time.

Using spoiler tags for the preview I can understand since everyone may not get to see them. But complaining about spoilers after an episode airs is just silly. If you are a Hulu watcher, why would you check the thread after the episode aired but before you have seen it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
As a Hulu and CW Website user, I wait until I have watched the latest episode before accessing the thread relating to any given TV show that I am interested in.
It is a small sacrifice but worth it to avoid spoilers.

As a matter of fact, the number of posts in a thread may encourage me to change the order in which I watch TV shows if it looks like an episode has generated a big discussion (which is hopefully not about the fact that someone shared a spoiler from a commercial).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JazzFlight posted:

LMDs don't exist in the movie universe, though.

I mean there was Stark claiming he was one to try and blow off Coulson at the start of the Avengers, but that was also pretty clearly more of an Easter Egg joke than a real thing that exists in that world.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

howe_sam posted:

I mean there was Stark claiming he was one to try and blow off Coulson at the start of the Avengers, but that was also pretty clearly more of an Easter Egg joke than a real thing that exists in that world.

This. It's a joke but at least it has some establishment in the movies.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think after their recent experience they'd all want to stay as far away from LMDs as possible.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

(DISCLAIMER: If you've never seen 28 Weeks Later that is a pretty major spoiler in the spoiler text. I liked the movie better than 28 Days, minority as I am, so I'd recommend just watching it and skipping that spoiler if you plan to.)

loving YES! Do you know how many Goddamn trailers give away the twists or outright end of the Goddamn movie obviously? Way too many to Goddamn count and it happens way too loving much.

I have nothing but admiration for trailers that change things so they're not exactly as they are in the movie. My favorite ever being 28 Weeks Later. In the trailer, there's this moment at the end of the trailer that seems really out of place was Jeremy Renner stops and gives this slow motion wink to the camera that's really focused on. In the actual film right when he winks he instead explodes in a fireball from getting lit up by flame throwers. It doubled the moment for me and is my gold-star in trailer manipulation.

But most of the time it sucks and is blatantly obvious so I either sit in the theater going "X isn't dead, X was in the trailer a lot more," or "Welp I bet that scene of that person's eye getting hit with glass, or dragged down a hall, etc." It ruins the loving movie. Or the hilarious beat-by-beat trailers I've seen (some war dog movie I saw recently had a trailer pop up on youtube that showed the entire plot, in all the acts!), or the bullshit of Terminator Genisys, which sucked anyway but the trailer already threw it's cards onto the table. I really hate it.

If you want some Marvel related good trailer fuckery, it's got to go to Thor Ragnarok though. Several major scenes in the trailer show Thor with two good eyes way after the point he lost it. Given he wasn't even wearing an eye patch, it's likely that footage was made specifically for the trailers. Again, props. 90% of lesser movies would have absolutely shown off the eye patch, so you'd spent the whole movie going "When the gently caress is Thor losing an eye? I know it happens, I saw the trailer."

... so yeah, I hate trailer spoilers.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 13, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

The easiest way to connect the films to AoS and do it in such a way that people might be OK with is to basically suggest AoS is "one dimension over" in the multiverse. Given how loosely they are linked these days, I kind of already see it that way.

By the way, for all the people noticing the reduced budget on AoS I have to sadly say it still looks like it's budget is 500x that of The Walking Dead these days, where they can't even afford blanks so they use CGI muzzle flashes and a .50 call makes tiny little flicks of light hitting glass. Not to mention poo poo like this:

This actually aired on national TV and is not the only example of this level of quality..

AoS's production value, even now, blows the doors off that poo poo. How the gently caress is WD the most watched show on TV even with the ratings freefall I don't know, while Shield is the black sheep of TV with an A+ production effort..

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShakeZula posted:

He's right though, it's a longstanding TVIV rule that previews are spoiler-tagged.

In the old days, the bad days of TV IV they used to ban and probate people for speculation. In the Walking Dead thread.

If someone speculating anything that happened to fall near a comic plot and didn't spoiler it, bam

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blazing Ownager posted:

How the gently caress is WD the most watched show on TV even with the ratings freefall I don't know, while Shield is the black sheep of TV with an A+ production effort..

They have the exact opposite situations: Agents of SHIELD had a (deliberately) slow start that failed to grab people, so they stayed away in droves despite the fact that it got exponentially better; The Walking Dead was strong out of the gate, got people invested in the characters, then managed to coast on that good will for a ridiculous amount of time.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Caught up with the last two episodes and the thread. I loved the Galaxy Quest reference at the beginning of episode 11.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Phylodox posted:

They have the exact opposite situations: Agents of SHIELD had a (deliberately) slow start that failed to grab people, so they stayed away in droves despite the fact that it got exponentially better; The Walking Dead was strong out of the gate, got people invested in the characters, then managed to coast on that good will for a ridiculous amount of time.

Ahh the Sons of Anarchy method (aka Dexter method)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Fun trivia: Walking Dead started strong because of Frank Darabont and his demand for movie like quality. They fired his rear end on season 2 so they spent 20+ episodes bitching at each other on a farm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel confident that absolutely no one who will go to see Infinity War gives half a poo poo about how you connect the movies to the show if they hadn't already spent the last few years interested enough to check out the show.

If they want Coulson in Infinity War they can just use him and handwave an explanation. 99% of viewers will forget it by the time the next of the 40 super heroes comes crashing in or dies or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Wait you mean the gravitonium guy they explicitly showed to be alive might make an appearance in the season where they are namedropping gravitonium five times an episode?

Given that the actor apparently retired... maybe not.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's no guarantee that Graviton looks or sounds anything like Franklin Hall after a multi-year submersion in gravitonium.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have a feeling Creel is going to come into contact with Gravitonium and cause problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What a great episode!

Calling it, Fear Dimension Ward somehow permanently manifests. Maybe they accidentally uncouple the Heisenberg Compensators.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

What a great episode!

Calling it, Fear Dimension Ward somehow permanently manifests. Maybe they accidentally uncouple the Heisenberg Compensators.

Oh God. Now I'm having thoughts of this being the final season, and at the very end of the very last episode, we see Fear Dimension Ward come out of the crack, and just stare at the camera. Credits roll.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Killing Loaf posted:

Caught up with the last two episodes and the thread. I loved the Galaxy Quest reference at the beginning of episode 11.
Is this the "that was a hell of a thing?" Because I immediately went to Galaxy Quest too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Ahh the Sons of Anarchy method (aka Dexter method)

To be fair, the main reason Dexter started its downfall in S3 was because CBS made them purposely dumb down the writing so they could show edited episodes on network TV to try to get people to subscribe to Showtime.

SoA probably started the trend of "Losing interest? Ratings slipping? Let's kill someone the audience is invested in!" that shows like TWD hammered on like crazy.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Is this the "that was a hell of a thing?" Because I immediately went to Galaxy Quest too.

Fitz said "heck" but yeah it was a reference to this (2:00).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they accidentally uncouple the Heisenberg

Fear dimension Walter White could not be stopped

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I find it funny that this thread has been defiant about cancellation from the second season onward, yet everyone seems to be bummed out and acting like this is the final season at a point where all the TV renewal sites have it at likely to lock-in. ABC wiped too many other shows and AoS's performance isn't as bad versus the new budget among the whole political issues so it's actually looking really likely for a season 6. Plus ABC is happy for some critical success overall, and AoS has done well there for a while now.

Proteus Jones posted:

I have a feeling Creel is going to come into contact with Gravitonium and cause problems.

Oh man. This is pretty clever, I think you're on to something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fear dimension Walter White could not be stopped

Dude you suck at the Trek reference.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blazing Ownager posted:

I find it funny that this thread has been defiant about cancellation from the second season onward, yet everyone seems to be bummed out and acting like this is the final season at a point where all the TV renewal sites have it at likely to lock-in.

It's easy to be pessimistic when the people who make the show for the first time are saying things like the season finale could double as a series finale.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rhyno posted:

Dude you suck at the Trek reference.

He's not wrong though

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

Coulson showing up in a movie, claiming to be a robot, and removing his hand as a demonstration would be pretty good. It could still be a robot duplicate or not.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If this does end up as the last season, the end of this show should be Thanos snapping his fingers.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can the next episode just be 40 minutes of awkward small talk between Deke and Deathlok?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mymla posted:

Can the next episode just be 40 minutes of awkward small talk between Deke and Deathlok?

If not, you can always go back and watch Season 1

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Also, mods change my name to Fear Dimension tia.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This occurred to me only now but Jemma is still calling Fitz by his surname, even in her wedding vows.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

drat, that is a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

You have to unpack it yourself a little, but at one point they mention there was an original LMD initiative before the mad doctor guy (good lord I've already forgotten his name) finally achieved it, which would jive with Tony knowing about it. And the people it was stolen from?

That's right.

The Koenig brothers.