Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oops, forgot this was on.

Kind of sucks for Kellyn going to Ghost Island and not getting a 'get out of TC free' card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
A massive comeback because one tribe couldn't get their balls up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren: Chelsea speaks! :siren:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They really did drop the ball there.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Jenna bawling in a puka shell necklace and overalls is extremely my aesthetic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BrandonBradley's confessionals are setting him way up for a fall, I think someone flips or they guess right with the idol.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 15, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nice idol lie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Solid lie.
Bradley is the worst.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Michael is a drat smooth talker

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess James's idol is still cursed?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aww :(

It was a good shot

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

That was a nice bluff, shame it didn't work out. Bradley is a oval office!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm really feeling this season now. The animosity in this tribal + Michael's idol hoax + Kellyn's intuition to keep her vote.

Gym teacher was a fine sacrifice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Trying to use Survivor fan knowledge against the other five was an admirable effort, too bad it fumbled at the end though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jeff's look when he tries to play the idol for 2 people though :confused:

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
That was a super fun episode and I'm really excited to see what happens with new-Naviti now.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why did he tell them the 4 votes were for Bradley? He should have said they selected someone at random

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, I feel like that bluff would've worked a LOT better if he forced it into a rocks-like situation of "risk going home, or flip".

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Why did he tell them the 4 votes were for Bradley? He should have said they selected someone at random

Yep. He blew it big time there because he didn't cause anyone to be afraid. That was 90% really great by Michael but he flubbed the most important element: create panic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a solid bluff. I think I prefer making Bradley Public Enemy #1 to trying to scare them all by making it a mystery. Maybe that could have worked but its a fear tactic and they were going with a trust building move. Its a 50/50 gamble and a lot of it probably depends on tribe dynamics we don't really know. How much did Sebastian and Chelsea really feel outside the group and how much is Bradley really disliked or resented? Its tough for us to say but it was such a toss up gamble that I can't blame Michael for it not working out. He choose a path and did a solid job with it. It just didn't work out.

Brendan's a fine sacrifice as he didn't seem to have a lot to add as the living personification of every high school coach cliche. I found that kind of charming but he didn't seem like he was gonna break out real skills and he was basically intentionally isolating himself as separate from the group. You don't want to be the coach. You want to be the invaluable team player everyone goes to.

Michael and Stephanie seem like potential players so at least they survived one more day.

And we got a villain in Bradley. And he seems the type to really get inflated about winning a close call. Fingers crossed.

Also Chelsea is very, very pretty.

I'm starting to remember people's names and attach identities so that's good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AdmiralViscen posted:

What purpose does that serve? You can't flip if you don't know who to vote for, and flipping if you think it might be you does you zero good. The ploy was to try and get one of the perceived bottom to flip and he played it about as well as he could have.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

The ploy was to try and get one of the perceived bottom to flip and he played it about as well as he could have.

Except that there was no downside to staying strong. All of the potential flip-ees were in no danger; flipping only guarantees a 100% chance of losing Bradley over the 50% chance that the 'double' idol is played correctly.

This was 10/10 entertaining but probably didn't grant any improved odds of success for Michael over randomly playing the idol.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Tellah posted:

Except that there was no downside to staying strong. All of the potential flip-ees were in no danger; flipping only guarantees a 100% chance of losing Bradley over the 50% chance that the 'double' idol is played correctly.

This. I thought the idol lie was wonderful and I was rooting for it to work but they completely blew it by saying who they were voting for. It's a zero sum game for flippers, so may as well play it safe in that situation.

Sebastian had a great pre-vote face.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Right before tribal my roommate exclaimed, “If they can get the Sea Bass to flop...”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 15, 2018

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rational players will stay either way. Someone unhappy on the bottom will flip either way. A random target is fishing for someone paranoid who doesn't care about the math. Announcing a target is fishing for someone who hates Bradley that much. I'm inclined to go random because you're getting the Bradley scenario on a 4-4-1 tiebreaker anyway.

STAC Goat posted:

And we got a villain in Bradley. And he seems the type to really get inflated about winning a close call. Fingers crossed.
It's a good test of the superfan label in cast bios. He comes off as a jerk but should immediately realize that's a bad spot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm really feeling this season now. Both tribes have got compelling stories with Chris and Domenick blowing up a clear advantage on one side and Michael and Stephanie fighting to come back from behind on the other.

Bradley suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

IcePhoenix posted:

What purpose does that serve? You can't flip if you don't know who to vote for, and flipping if you think it might be you does you zero good. The ploy was to try and get one of the perceived bottom to flip and he played it about as well as he could have.

The move is to say "I'm playing this (fake double) idol on two of us. These two girls are voting for Bradley, and me and Brendan will be putting two votes on another one of you that we picked earlier at random. The only way to guarantee its not you going home is for you to vote Bradley"

(and then in actuality all four of them vote Bradley but hopefully this scares at least one of them into adding a fifth vote as well)

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 15, 2018

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Laurel and Donathan as a power couple is nice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm glad that Michael and Steph both stayed, but it's going to be tough for them and Jenna now. Their best hope (outside of finding another idol) is to swing Sebastian and Chelsea. They could flip, because both sides would desperately need their numbers and it gives them some power.

I think it was a good bluff (and I'd have loved to see Bradley go). Michael's made himself a bigger target now though, because now they know he's got some brain behind that brawn. He's almost definitely gone if they go to tribal again.

Also, I'm surprised the Naviti tribe didn't consider just going to split their votes between Domenick and Chris.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 15, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bbf2 posted:

The move is to say "I'm playing this (fake double) idol on two of us. These two girls are voting for Bradley, and me and Brendan will be putting two votes on another one of you that we picked earlier at random. The only way to guarantee its not you going home is for you to vote Bradley"

(and then in actuality all four of them vote Bradley but hopefully this scares at least one of them into adding a fifth vote as well)

That's 100% the move but it's not what we were discussing :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, there are a million ways to discuss how the move 'could' have gone, but in honesty at the end of the day it was always gonna be a roll of the dice. Michael's gambit was probably more than what 90% of us could have come up with.

Even if he goes out next week, I think he's a pretty impressive player so far.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, I'm surprised the Naviti tribe didn't consider just going to split their votes between Domenick and Chris.

I think that as superfans they know that unless you have a suuuuuper toxic player on your tribe that you're 10000% sure has no idol, you never throw a challenge because 100% sure you're safe is infinitely better than 99% sure you're safe. And even though they're obviously two factions going against each other, Dom and Chris are far from toxic, or at least that's my read from what we've seen.

curiousCat posted:

Laurel and Donathan as a power couple is nice.

Laurel beasting on that reward challenge owned.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I thought this episode was a really great episode of TV but the players must be really frustrated with the ghost island mechanics. Not being consistent about if players return for tribal and drawing rocks makes it even more of a random element.

Michael is a pretty amazing speaker for an 18 year old. I’m sort of thinking he did some weird double bluff and forged fake documents to send to CBS when applying :stare:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think that as superfans they know that unless you have a suuuuuper toxic player on your tribe that you're 10000% sure has no idol, you never throw a challenge because 100% sure you're safe is infinitely better than 99% sure you're safe. And even though they're obviously two factions going against each other, Dom and Chris are far from toxic, or at least that's my read from what we've seen.

Oh not talking about throwing the challenge, more like when Chris approached them about splitting the vote 3-3 against Dom and Wendell, my initial thought was, 'well if you like Wendell... why not just split it between Dom and Chris when you do have to vote?' You guarantee yourself safety, and you knock out either an abrasive personality or someone who's scheming way too much. The downside is that you pretty much burn Wendell and Angela for good, but it's not like those two were going to be eager to work with any of the majority long term anyway after they got burned last tribal.

I don't know if there are any all-star players right now, but Michael and Steph seem above the bar (even if they're in bad positions). Kellyn, Laurel, and Libby all have potential game.

Dugong posted:

I thought this episode was a really great episode of TV but the players must be really frustrated with the ghost island mechanics. Not being consistent about if players return for tribal and drawing rocks makes it even more of a random element.

Michael is a pretty amazing speaker for an 18 year old. I’m sort of thinking he did some weird double bluff and forged fake documents to send to CBS when applying :stare:

He sells real estate, so he's definitely got some speaking chops. He's way too dangeous to leave around for too long which is why I don't think he'll make it too far, but I'm enjoying having him still in the mix.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bbf2 posted:

Yeah i think this is it. It causes the most disruption where as the play Michael went with didn't actually give anyone a reason to flip their vote except for Bradley but he had no other vote option anyway.

Having said that it was still a god drat impressive performance from Michael and I loved the saving two people bluff, that was clever, did it show who came up with that?

That episode warmed me up a lot to this season. There could be some potential here...

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I haven't watched Survivor in years but a friend of mine convinced me to watch this season. The last full season I watched was Marquesas (season four) and after looking at the list of contestants the only one I remember is Vecepia, probably because she won (edit: I can't believe I forgot about Boston Rob). Obviously I love the first season; it's one of the greatest seasons of television ever. I did return to the show briefly for All-Stars but quit early on because I wasn't into it. The only thing I remember is Rich wagging his doodle at Susan and her rage-quitting.

It's weird to see how much the show has changed yet stayed the same after all these years. There's more commercials and less time with the players. I miss the long opening credits; it really set the mood and helped put names with faces. Jeff is exactly the same—I still laugh when he says "I'll go tally the votes" (back in the day at our watch parties we used to shout at the TV "Go tally the votes, Jeff!").

One of the things I don't like about modern Survivor is all this individual immunity idol stuff and the endless searching; it takes some of the fun out of the game but I guess after 36 seasons they have to keep mixing it up. What's fascinating to me is how much they talk about previous seasons and players, which is something that was discouraged in the earlier seasons. I remember reading something back during/after season two (Australian Outback) about players talking about Richard Hatch and other S1 players and a producer or cameraman saying something along the lines of they could talk about them all they wanted but it wouldn't make it to air.

Anywho, I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying this season so far, especially after last night, but I'm also enjoying this thread and the discussions within. I like the idea of Ghost Island even though I don't get any of the references, but I feel like it hasn't been executed in the best way. It was cool how Ghost Island threw a wrench into tribal council strategy by having the other tribe pick the person but doing it before TC is dumb and pointless.

edit: After browsing Wikipedia I realized that Survivor: Thailand (season five) was actually the last full season I watched and I only remembered that because of Brian and his hair. I don't remember anything specific about it so it must have been a bad season.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

clown shoes posted:

I haven't watched Survivor in years but a friend of mine convinced me to watch this season. The last full season I watched was Marquesas (season four) and after looking at the list of contestants the only one I remember is Vecepia, probably because she won. Obviously I love the first season; it's one of the greatest seasons of television ever. I did return to the show briefly for All-Stars but quit early on because I wasn't into it. The only thing I remember is Rich wagging his doodle at Susan and her rage-quitting.

Oh my god dude go watch Micronesia. You can thank me later.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shneak posted:

A massive comeback because one tribe couldn't get their balls up.
Seems like that challenge was quietly designed to allow for a comeback, the way after every additional ball gets up there you've got less room for the next one. That'll make the last one the hardest and open you up more to losing a ball you've got up there.

Michael's bluff saying the idol gave double immunity was good, his read was just wrong. He even set up a moment to check out Bradley's crestfallen face after he said the idol was for himself and Brendan but still got a Stephanie read. Tough.

It really is hard to think of a good way to convince people to flip at Tribal in that sort of spot. Like, if you tell them all that you're targeting a specific person, then everyone who isn't that person knows they have nothing to lose by staying strong. Even if the idol is played right, it's still 4-4 and the other alliance would still welcome you if you wanted to flip later. On the other hand, if you threaten that you're voting randomly, potential flippers don't even know where to vote, and a few flailing flips could send their own randomly selected rear end out, even without the idol being played right.

It seems like you should be able to leverage the "fact" that you have a 50% chance to idol correctly into a flip, but it's not easy.

bbf2 posted:

Maybe this is the right way to do it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CODChimera posted:

Having said that it was still a god drat impressive performance from Michael and I loved the saving two people bluff, that was clever, did it show who came up with that?

That episode warmed me up a lot to this season. There could be some potential here...
That bluff was good enough that I bet Survivor producers took some notes, and we could see a double idol someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good episode

I also prefer two challenges to one reward/immunity combo challenge

• Locked thread