Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Polygynous posted:

Hockey should be cut back if only because people playing hockey in California in May still breaks my brain. :bahgawd:

Well they might be playing hockey in Las Vegas in June this year, so May in California won't seem so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well they might be playing hockey in Las Vegas in June this year, so May in California won't seem so bad!

:lol:

Funny thing, at first I was going to say "Florida in June" and went looking a couple minutes to see if that's ever actually happened. Looking at the standings now any or all of them could happen this year. :v:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SpacePig posted:

I feel bad because the CarMax guy is comedian Andy Daly, who is a genuinely funny guy and one of my favorite people working today. But his CarMax guy is just so lame and unfunny, and this is what people will know him for publicly. I guess he's probably making decent money, but it's still a shame.

Selling out: a million stars!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's this new Biore foaming facewash commercial that really bugs me because instead of actually having the face wash on the actress' face they just really poorly CGI it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

“Have we tried insulting the chronically underpaid or under employed demographic we’re after? No? Okay what if we....”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WamYWCiJcc

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I might act my age if you paid me a bunch of money to come up with that lovely rear end commercial idea.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

galagazombie posted:

Hockey is the only pro-sport fun to watch. Soccer, Football, and Baseball are all as boring as watching paint dry. And Basketball is so chaotic and high -scoring theres nothing to home in on and keep your focus.

You can focus on... the basketball?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’ve had Hulu on for background noise while I work from home, and there is a Ford ad that I immediately mute anytime I hear the little jingle start.

Teen: There’s something wrong with the [Ford]. It won’t go over 65.
Parent: Oh really?
Teen: Mom there’s something wrong with the [Ford]. The radio won’t go very loud.
Teen: Dad, there’s something wrong with the [Ford]. If I get a phone call it goes straight to voicemail.

Something something ‘Ford has ‘parental controls’ on vehicles.

The stupid ‘oh really?’ and the parents smugly fist-bumping each other annoys me to end.

But teens have always been lovely drivers, amirite guys?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’ve had Hulu on for background noise while I work from home, and there is a Ford ad that I immediately mute anytime I hear the little jingle start.

Teen: Mom there’s something wrong with the [Ford]. The radio won’t go very loud.
Teen: Dad, there’s something wrong with the [Ford]. If I get a phone call it goes straight to voicemail.

The stupid ‘oh really?’ and the parents smugly fist-bumping each other annoys me to end.

I admire Ford for admitting their cars are poo poo and embracing it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like the phone call one because all it basically does is get your teen to not use the on-board Bluetooth that was supposed to be solving the problem of using the phone while driving in the first place.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I owed the IRS $10,000!
The IRS..garnished my wages..
THEY PUT A LEAN ON MY HOUSE!!

gently caress TaxSolutionsNow and its terrible low budget commercial that plays every ad break.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I owed the IRS $10,000!

gently caress TaxSolutionsNow and its terrible low budget commercial that plays every ad break.
                       /

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I will admit that one time my family took two cars to a summercamp and made the mistake of having me and my brother alone in one of them. We weren't too bright about being subtle either, so when we got there we excitedly said "did you know that car can go 95?"

Ah, New Mexico, land of ruler-straight roads without a soul on them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I owed the IRS $10,000!

That and those companies’ whole business model is filling out forms and talking to people that are publicly available

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Those JG Wentworth opera commercials are back on the radio, but it's not the whole thing because they changed from 877 to 866 and couldn't be bothered to re-record I guess. It's just regular, boring voiceovers between the verses. I don't like it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I owed the IRS $10,000!

The thing about those commercials is I can't fathom how someone can fail that hard at paying taxes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing about those commercials is I can't fathom how someone can fail that hard at paying taxes.

Small business owners paying employees under the table, maybe?

I’m with you though, that’s a massive gently caress up.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Whatever happened to that big fat guy with crazy eyes who essentially promised to hunt down IRS agents and break their kneecaps for you? Was it Tax Masters?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruceski posted:

I will admit that one time my family took two cars to a summercamp and made the mistake of having me and my brother alone in one of them. We weren't too bright about being subtle either, so when we got there we excitedly said "did you know that car can go 95?"

Ah, New Mexico, land of ruler-straight roads without a soul on them.

And you only managed to hit 95? Way to go grandma.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

No poo poo, I hit about 120 driving through Wyoming due to not paying attention.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Also the IRS is super willing to work with you on poo poo like that as long as you're upfront and honest. They'll work out a payment plan for you, they're actually super reasonable as long as you don't try to screw them out of money.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Whatever happened to that big fat guy with crazy eyes who essentially promised to hunt down IRS agents and break their kneecaps for you? Was it Tax Masters?

The big ginger giant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IRQ posted:

A bend in the road appeared 10 miles away and we got nervous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

vyst posted:

The big ginger giant.

:lol: Pat Our Cocks

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IRQ posted:

I never even got my first car to 95. Around 85, it started behaving in a way that gave one a distinct impression that you were about to break up from the stresses.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

On a related note, I HATE those radio commercials that are like, "Don't let those evil credit card companies trick you into thinking you have to pay back your debts!"

gently caress oooooffffff

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just heard some commercials for renting car wheels. I knew it was a thing, I just haven’t ever heard or seen an ad for it in Denver. What an awful way to spend $14 a week. You could save $14 a week and have a nice set by the end of the year, and if you can’t afford that then you can’t afford to rent wheels.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

StormDrain posted:

I just heard some commercials for renting car wheels. I knew it was a thing, I just haven’t ever heard or seen an ad for it in Denver. What an awful way to spend $14 a week. You could save $14 a week and have a nice set by the end of the year, and if you can’t afford that then you can’t afford to rent wheels.

It’s called poverty. It costs money to be poor.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Beastie posted:

It’s called poverty. It costs money to be poor.

I just wish it wasn’t so lucrative to keep it that way.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

I just wish it wasn’t so lucrative to keep it that way.

Some of the psychology and design choices for both payday lenders and banks means it's easier for the dumb && poor people to use the payday lender primarily.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
There’s some ad about producing bedsheets where they show the production line and they show a 40 year old Asian lady, super happy, super well dressed and in a good work environment (her factory is super nice and clean). Just lies. So many lies.

E: oh and of course the ending is a family of blonde haired girl blonde haired mom and stereotypical attractive white guy jumping and laying around in the bed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thin Privilege posted:

There’s some ad about producing bedsheets where they show the production line and they show a 40 year old Asian lady, super happy, super well dressed and in a good work environment (her factory is super nice and clean). Just lies. So many lies.

E: oh and of course the ending is a family of blonde haired girl blonde haired mom and stereotypical attractive white guy jumping and laying around in the bed.

And let me guess, they make the kids say some obnoxious lines and mug for the camera as though they were the primary decision makers in the household?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's a car insurance commercial(esurance?) where some woman wails and screams for 15 seconds while "Love Hurts" plays in the background. It's very grating.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Is there any reason so many commercials just have wordless screaming in them other than that it's attention-grabbing? I feel like there's been an uptick in those types of commercials in the last few years, and I really hate it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The actors get paid less if they don't have lines?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

StormDrain posted:

Here's the magic of this business:

You can repo your poo poo if you have a guy, 10 minutes, a jack and 4 cinder blocks.

If you do this, the renter is COMPLETELY turbofucked and can't get to work, because LOL if you think they kept their old rims around

It's incredible leverage on the renter while being near-zero-risk for the tire shop.

Rent and Roll is a fuckin monster

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The MyPillow ads are kind of creepy.

The weird, fake-happy-and-nice owner who buttons his top button on his shirt w/out a tie, and has his gold cross hanging out of his shirt appearing in people's mirrors.

Then, at the end, he's back in the mirror smugly saying he knew the people would sleep better, and now, for some reason, the guy who bought his pillow is wearing the same blue collared shirt, buttoned to the top, with a gold cross hanging out.

Like some sort of pillow cult.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like some sort of pillow cult.

The Most Comfortable Cult.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
He has an interesting biography.

I hear the pillows are a bit poo poo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's the magic of this business:

You can repo your poo poo if you have a guy, 10 minutes, a jack and 4 cinder blocks.

If you do this, the renter is COMPLETELY turbofucked and can't get to work, because LOL if you think they kept their old rims around

It's incredible leverage on the renter while being near-zero-risk for the tire shop.

Rent and Roll is a fuckin monster

No surprise. Back in 2009 when people were defaulting on mortgages, the auto loan business was doing fine. Turns out it’s hard to evict people cleanly and easy to repo a car, and people rely on the car so it’s a clear decision on which to pay.

I kind of want to be a repo man, sounds like an exciting job.